Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is the Golden age of MMO's

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by g4m3sh4rk
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    I just wish devs would either create a PvP game or a PvE game... You can NOT have both co-exist with great success at the same time..  It's impossible to balance..

Just out of curiosity have you heard of Wow? Just a question not trying to be mean.

Horde VS. Alliance is NOT PvE .. fyi.. The game was designed to pit one side vs. the other.. Now when I can freely group with ANY race I want, then come talk to me :) 

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    I just wish devs would either create a PvP game or a PvE game... You can NOT have both co-exist with great success at the same time..  It's impossible to balance..

What? 

EVE online, buddy. You know, the successful MMO that thas been steadily growing in popularity since 2003; something that most MMOs cannot claim. The PVPers have the perfect symbiotic relationship with the PVEers. CCP has exposed the fact that both can and should be intertwined. It just has to be done right, of course.

Sorry.. Epic Fail.. Eve does not give me the 100% FREEDOM to go or do anything without the fear of being ganked by another player...  Try again

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Swg did this well. And protected pve players well. Hell I even remember grouping with flagged players from the other faction and we got along fine. It realy depends on the community also.
    Few other games mix pvp and pve well, but not many. They try to separate the masses now it feels like.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I agree but mainly because I think all MMOs are getting too simple and console-ified.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

What? 

EVE online, buddy. You know, the successful MMO that thas been steadily growing in popularity since 2003; something that most MMOs cannot claim. The PVPers have the perfect symbiotic relationship with the PVEers. CCP has exposed the fact that both can and should be intertwined. It just has to be done right, of course.

Sorry.. Epic Fail.. Eve does not give me the 100% FREEDOM to go or do anything without the fear of being ganked by another player...  Try again

Growing to less than 500K? That kind of snail growth is not success .. just non-failure. Maple Story is a success. LOL is a success. WOT is a success. Eve .. not so much in comparison.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by eddieg50

Especially if you do not want to spend much money.

You have 2 GREAT story mmo's in TSW and SWTOR. TSW gives you great graphics, story , cut scenes, production, mystery, puzzles. Combine this with SWTOR which gives you GREAT story, production, cut scenes, combat, and good PvP. These are the two best story MMO's ever made!

Love SWTOR but do not like their space game, then just download Star Trek Online, This game has improved massively in the last 2 years and offers a really fun space game and and average but functional ground game, if you switch back and forth from this to SWTOR than you have the best of both worlds.

Want a traditional MMO with a little extra? Than just download Vanguard, it is a little creaky under the hood, but this baby has it all including Diplomacy a fun card game. There are not to many Worlds as open as this.   Want something even more traditional eq is now going F2P from what I have read

Dont like the slightly creaky combat of Vanguard or TSW--------Big News---Tera with its great combat is going F2P.  Dont get me wrong the stories in TSW and SWTOR are Great but like anything else it can burn you out. If you want to come home and just KILL< KILL< KILL than tera is your game and the Pvp aint bad either.

Hey how bout a traditional game with great story, graphics, Lore and exploring with good crafting ----Yup LOTRO. I am not sure but Lotro may be one of the Grand daddys of F2P and they keep churning out quality content to this day.

Love the theme park but want it modern with very good Pvp- Just get Gw2, beautifull colors and great exploring, pretty good combat and plenty of PvP make this a game that is really fun, me being an oldie I like GW1 slightly better as I like its PvP a bit more but both games are fun

Tired of these darn themeparks and just want to play an Sandobox, than just download Xyson. You will find yourself in the middle of nowhere and you know what that means Sandbox Heaven, explore! the world is huge

These are just some of the games that offer either F2P or just pay a little  he,he ,he. On my computer i have all these games and more on my hd and play them all plus eq2, aoc and aion, Of these 3 Aion gives you the best bang for your buck as eq2 and aoc while fine games have really bad F2P options

I do agree with you, but most people on mmorpg.com seem to have grown tired of the genre...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

I shall now debunk this post, MMO at a time.

SWTOR - Broken F2P model, the worst end game I have ever laid eyes on. Right now I couldn't recommend this to anyone. 300 million to create this? All the money spent on voice overs and well acted cut scenes. I love good story, but save it for my single player games, if I wanted to be sucked in I would play Farcry 3, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy.

TSW - This game is better than SWTOR, it's puzzles are somewhat engaging, and its classless progression is nice. However it suffers from broken unbalanced pvp, no raids, terrible hardcore mode 5 man dungeons. I could suggest this to someone however, so  not so far off the mark on this one.

Vanguard - Ohh this game could of had it all, but I could never suggest to someone a game that has not had a significant update in about five years. It lacks polish in so many areas, I love what Vanguard could and should be, and perhaps supporting it is a way to get it to that place, but see it for what its free to play model is please, a cash grab. in a dying game.

Tera - No complaints on this suggestion, great game, but do not play down its pvp which is by far its most entertaining element. If you don't like pvp, then I would in all honesty suggest something like Final Fantasy XI, but in this list you are only suggesting F2P games, so EQ2.

GW2 - No opinion on this one, I haven't played it. Don't like its feature list, leveling up to access new zones and armor skins doesn't sound very appealing to me, and its pvp isn't FFA or Full loot and doesn't hold a candle to Tera.

Xyson - How dare you recommend this game to anyone. As far as sandoxes go, why not recommend Mortal Online while you are at it. Simple fact, you cannot recommend a single sandbox game right now for free, the best sandbox at the moment is Eve Online which can be free if you play like a boss, but don't go selling Xyson to anyone.

On your last few suggestions I'll do these in quick fire.

Aion - Very Grindy, very much dying - play at your own peril, this one's days are numbered folks.

AoC - Pay to win nightmare, you can subscribe to this mess, and still have to pay for items off the shop to compete, this one is a dud, a mess of a game that held so much potential.

EQ2 - you need to put money down for this game, otherwise the limitations are just to great, if you get lucky and the class you want to play with the race you want to play is on offer then fantastic, I have an SOE all acess pass, so I play it right now but I find the constant immersion breaking mounts, and cosmetic items to be ruining my fun.

LOL---you did not de bunk but rather expressed your opinion, that is what is great about MMORPG.com, people can come on read someones post express their own opinion and be totaly wrong. But I do appreciate the difference of opinion

So you agree your opinion is totally wrong then?

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

What? 

Growing to less than 500K? That kind of snail growth is not success .. just non-failure. Maple Story is a success. LOL is a success. WOT is a success. Eve .. not so much in comparison.

You always leave out Farmville. 

BEST AND MOST SUCCESSFUL MMO EVER!!!

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

Originally posted by Grixxitt

hmm .. it is a "social network" game, by definition. But certainly it was (i dunno if it still is) certainly more successful than Eve, and many MMOs.

And don't forget LOL, which is bigger than WOW. If you want to include Farmville, may as well count LOL.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

hmm .. it is a "social network" game, by definition. But certainly it was (i dunno if it still is) certainly more successful than Eve, and many MMOs.

And don't forget LOL, which is bigger than WOW. If you want to include Farmville, may as well count LOL.

Well you count LOL and D3 in any MMO discussion, you leave yourself open to FarmVille.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    By the gods of our MMO pantheons do not leave us open to Farmville!
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi

Well you count LOL and D3 in any MMO discussion, you leave yourself open to FarmVille.

Yes, and i am more than happy to discuss farmville. However, do note that i did, from time to time, note that D3 is not a MMO but the playstyle is close.

In terms of farmville, since you don't kill stuff there, i would not say the same.

So i suppose it is true that farmville is a very successful non-combat MMO.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Theodwulf

For game makers it is a golden age. They are able to slap together a turd of a game and make a pile of money. It is a dark age for the MMO  consumer. The Market is driven by unethical companies that have no qualms about selling a sub-standard product. They are more interested in the "quick buck" than long term profits and readily destroy any good reputation they once had to acheive this. They are supported by legions of online shills who are payed to lie about..i mean hype these  games.   How does this story end? The consumer smartens the heck up and spends their entertainment dollars else where.  I have accepted that the industry is incapable of putting out anything of value and moved onto FTP games and offline activities..

Completely agree with this one.

• X31b0rgX31b0rg Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Scot

Oh our rosy spectacles types have been with us for ages. They see everything about modern MMO’s through rosy glasses, it is all wonderful and so on. Its sort of like fan boys but for the whole industry. :)

While the other half wears them for mmos of long ago.  WoW becoming one of them. 

Per thread topic, the golden age will start when a good immersive long-term mmo is actually released.  Not something that entertains for a month or two then gets old.

• Second Life
    • Ultima Online
    • Everquest
    • Dark Age of Camelot
    • A Tale in the Desert (ATITD)
    • There
    • Puzzle Pirates
    • EVE Online
    • Project Entropia (now Entropia Universe)
    • ToonTown
    I'd say that fits the description you just gave. There are others from that period that could be added to that list, too. The platform was evolving and experimenting with new ideas.

Now, if we want to accept the PBBGs, MMORTS, Action RPGs and the other variations of MMOs under the MMO umbrella then I would say we are currently looking at the golden age now... but I'm not sure everyone here is on board with such a blashpemous level of inclusion.

YOU SAY IT BRO! :=)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

What? 

Unless you are the only one playing, such a system cannot exist, at least not in a universally enjoyable form, as the places you want to go and the things you want to do will most certainly conflict with where others want to go and what they want to do, no?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

No, just no. MMORPG were about creating virtual worlds which you live in rather than being the center of the world where you are the hero, savior etc. That idea has been hijacked by big money corps who are taking a single player game and putting it on a central server and then label it an MMORPG.

And at the same time there isn't a single well funded, triple A sandbox MMORPG short of Eve which is a very nische type of MMO and also years and years old.

So no, this is not the golden age of MMO's, it is the dark ages of MMO's.

Originally posted by Yamota

No, just no. MMORPG were about creating virtual worlds which you live in rather than being the center of the world where you are the hero, savior etc. That idea has been hijacked by big money corps who are taking a single player game and putting it on a central server and then label it an MMORPG.

And at the same time there isn't a single well funded, triple A sandbox MMORPG short of Eve which is a very nische type of MMO and also years and years old.

Says you?

There is no "virtual world" in "MMORPG" .. but the word "game" is there. No one says you have to have a virtual world. It is just games with lots of players, who can play together.

It is the golden age precisely because devs realize that they are not shackled by having to have a virtual world all the time.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Says you?

There is no "virtual world" in "MMORPG" .. but the word "game" is there. No one says you have to have a virtual world. It is just games with lots of players, who can play together.

It is the golden age precisely because devs realize that they are not shackled by having to have a virtual world all the time.

Yes. That's it. Now it all makes sense. This is the reason that the genre is currently experiencing it's golden age. Wow image

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

I don't give a shit about what developers want/love/enjoy/find easy to program, unless it's in alignment with what I want.

When that happens, a magical process occurs wherein my wallet is opened, and the game guys get to keep their light bill paid.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by ignore_me

I don't give a shit about what developers want/love/enjoy/find easy to program, unless it's in alignment with what I want.

When that happens, a magical process occurs wherein my wallet is opened, and the game guys get to keep their light bill paid.

You should. You'd be more understanding and a lot happier.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by ignore_me

You should. You'd be more understanding and a lot happier.

No, it's a job. There is a paycheck. Output is all that matters unless I'm in human resources at the company where the monitor monkeys work.

To me they're just there to put something out. If that thing sucks, then their work sucks.

No adulation.

No handholding or coddling.

Hard work?

Go work in some other field.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

"When that happens, a magical process occurs wherein my wallet is opened, and the game guys get to keep their light bill paid."

That magic already exists, it is called pre-order.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

No, just no. MMORPG were about creating virtual worlds which you live in rather than being the center of the world where you are the hero, savior etc. That idea has been hijacked by big money corps who are taking a single player game and putting it on a central server and then label it an MMORPG. And at the same time there isn't a single well funded, triple A sandbox MMORPG short of Eve which is a very nische type of MMO and also years and years old. So no, this is not the golden age of MMO's, it is the dark ages of MMO's.

Says you?

You need to read up on what a mmorpg is.
    Originally posted by Onomas

Says you?

You need to read up on what a mmorpg is.

I did. Did you? An industry analytics site like newzoo would classify LOL and WOT, games without virtual world, as MMOs. Feel free to go to their website and look it up.

• Orthus.AkuOrthus.Aku Member Posts: 12

I wouldn't say this is the goldent age for MMO's but merely for themepark MMO's, Now I say this because we don't see a healthy mix of both sandbox MMOs, themepark MMOs, and Mix/match MMOs.

I also think we are close to the point were MMOs are gonna start experimenting more with revolutionizing some of the stagnet mechinics that have been in use for the past couple years. As we have seen with games like tera that have got rid of the tab targeting and swtor that have added voice acting to all quests and added the bioware touch of choice of dialog.

Now about your post, you seem very heavy on the themepark side which is fine but what about sandbox lovers, is xyson. the only one that was worthy of your list. Are there not sandbox games that focus more on PVP, what about PVE, or even Virtual world games?