Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Convince me......

2»

Comments

• WalicWalic Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by ashleymorrow
    Originally posted by Chtuga
    Originally posted by Walic

Well sorry I wanted to get input from the players, and their thoughts if I would like that game with the type of gaming I like, so thank you for the people that helped me out.

To the trolls and other A$$holes that didn't F*ck off...

Let us know what you decided to do :-)

I, for one, am on pins and needles, breath held in anticipation!

Wow your annoying so Im going to block you so I don't have to waste anymore on your lame post but thanks :-)

• WalicWalic Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

...... no.. :)

TSW is a great game and I enjoy playing inmensely... but its main strenghts are in the story and athmosphere, IMHO. It's quite the opposite to what you describe to like.

Tthere are 8 areas in the game and you're mostly directed to which area you have to go, and to a lesser extent where in the area you have to be, depending on your gear level and the point you are in the main storyline, and actually at several points some areas are completely off limits even if you're at the apropiate gear level until you reach a specific milestone in the main storyline.

The game is completely based on quests (missions), but they're more involved than other games. While there are a few "kill X, bring Y" kind of quests, there are fewer and I never found myself thinking "ok, who was it that asked me to kill these wolves and why?.. was this farmer or that hunter?". Investigation missions are the highlight of the questing system for me, but they're not for everyone. Personally I come from a gaming background heavy on old school adventure games, even from before they were point and click and you had to use a text parser, so I love the investigation missions and so far I've managed to solve all the ones I've found without using walktroughts, but some can be very hard so they're not for everyone. Personally I love the fact that you have to go out of the game to solve some of them (for example, one character mentions having a blog, and turns out the blog actually exists and you have to visit it to find the clues needed to progress), and you will have to check some information that can be obscure to you like morse code or bible verses, which I also love, but some people hate the fact that not all the information needed is available inside the game, so your mileage may vary on that aspect.

Crafting is there, but doesn't really play a big role, and there's no crafting leveling either, if you have the materials and apropiate crafting kit (drop or bought from the auction house) you can craft the highest level items right away even if you've never done crafting before. PvP I've never tried, but there are only battlegrounds and Fusang, a persistent battelground, but that in most (or all) servers tend to be dominated by one faction, so if you belong to that faction fusang might be just a farming thing, or a hopeless cause if you belong to the other ones.

So, in short, if you're looking for a sanbox experience, stay away from TSW... if you want one of the best theme park experiences available today (IMHO) combined with a creepy horror athmosphere and some very good storytelling, go ahead and dive right in.

Thanks for the help, I guess my thought about TSW was a little off, some of the things I was read gave me the completely different idea

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176
    You are quite welcome! 
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Pretty much what the subject is.......I want everyone that plays or tried the game to convince me to play it.  To help you out some my favorite game of all time is SWG pre-CU.  I love sandbox games, being able to do whatever I want when I want and haven't no direction.  I like to PVP more controled if possible dont like being ganked nonstop.  From what I got from the reading is that it is now a B2P the same model as GW2, but I keep hereing about fees and stuff so what is the sub like?  Other then that just start plugging your game tell me about it.............Convince me.........

Hard sell to a sandbox fan, but here goes.

The game is theme park, But you can go and pick any quest, at any time catch being you will need some friends to help you do them (which if you like social interaction is great)

Game comes with what would be now standard instanced structured pvp so you cant get "ganked all the time" unless you want to que op for an open map (fusang)

I'm not gona try any harder to convince you, The game is $22 if you cant take an educated risk on that amount of money then i don't know what to say.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• clunningclunning Member Posts: 25
    I picked it up as soon as it went B2P, and I'm really glad I did. Its a pretty solid game. As I'm sure you ahve heard, the weak point is in the instanced PvP. In my opinion the problem isnt that the PvP isn't fun, its just suffers from horrible faction inbalance.
  • negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

There are a lot of things not to like bout TSW (clunky combat, lag, weak PVP) but for PVE and story, this game rocks...

It makes you step out of the click a quest dialogue and run after x, y, z....

You really need to read what's said and pay attention to environments, to solve aspects of the game...

SPOLIER---

Like one investigation that makes you find a painting and behind the painting is a bunch of words...

Well, in most MMO's ya just click and move on to the next quest objective, but ya know what...

If you don't read those words (and you don't cheat..lol) you aint gonna find jack booty...

Once deciphered, you need to find a clock and use the hands on the clock to find a specific bible verse and then use the numbers in the verse to open a keypad listed at the hosue mentioned in those same words...

This is what I enjoy about TSW is that it is making me think and pay attention more in any MMO that I have ever played...

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

TSW is not a sandbox game in that the players don't build or change the world in anyway. What TSW has that is sometimes associated with sandbox games is a completely open ended character development system. You can go any direction you want and given enough time you can learn every "class". Classes being determined in this case by what two weapons you want to have equiped at the time.

It is also worth mentioning that while TSW is very mission (quest) oriented and that those missions do progress in difficulty along a particular path, the game is not very linear beyond that. You find random mission all over the map and you can do even the main missions in most any order. The only unlocking i have seen beyond the story missions are limited to mission givers that have more than one main mission. Usually they want you to do their missions in a certain order but there doesn't seem to be much or any restriction on which order you can approach these mission givers, beyond the general difficulty of the mission. Also, you can repeat missions each day. Pretty much everything except your story missions are dailies.

The result of this is a very non-linear feel to the way missions come at your. Yes there is a progression in difficulty from zone to zone and even within a zone but for the most part you can explore around and do many of the quest in what ever order you feel.

All die, so die well.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Good quest system, but the combat is so extreamly boring and outdated, make me log off soon after I log in...
  • TorkazTorkaz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Its $20 ... And its totally worth it.. Love this game best mmorpg ever.
  • TorkazTorkaz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Originally posted by mazut
    Good quest system, but the combat is so extreamly boring and outdated, make me log off soon after I log in...

I disagree Im having a blast

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Take the time to watch the cut scenes introducing the main missions, at least the first time through. Sometimes they contain valuable clues. Also talk to any NPC showing the dialog icon. Some of them are a riot, like the headmaster at Innsmouth Academy: "Then I had an epiphany! And acquittal on the manslaughter charges..."
  • trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Pretty much what the subject is.......I want everyone that plays or tried the game to convince me to play it.  To help you out some my favorite game of all time is SWG pre-CU.  I love sandbox games, being able to do whatever I want when I want and haven't no direction.  I like to PVP more controled if possible dont like being ganked nonstop.  From what I got from the reading is that it is now a B2P the same model as GW2, but I keep hereing about fees and stuff so what is the sub like?  Other then that just start plugging your game tell me about it.............Convince me.........

I Played it for awhile when it came out. The game is good in terms of story telling and the voice acting is well done. It isn't a sandbox though. The class system is interesting to a point, the crafting isnt that great and kind of bland but it's differnt which is a good thing i guess. It's a descent game, but not something I felt I could really invest into because it's just more like a single player story rpg to me than anything, over an actual indepth MMO like SWG PRE NGE, or CU

Still it's better than some of the crap that's on the market right now.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by mazut

i am sorry but it  is wrong game for you,TSW is RP game not shooter  ,patience you ll be happy with Mass Efect mmo or try PS2

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I got it for $15 bucks on Amazon. It's pretty good game, though it failed to keep me interested after initial 2 weeks... don't remember when I logged in last time, but it's B2P so one day I will be back. I like cutscenes as it's as close to SWTOR as it can be... but it's more like a monologue then anything else... and too much of f* you for my taste...

Some quests are interesting... by no means this game is worth a try.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E