Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Asymmetrical Factions

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by tixylix

I always thought The Elder Scrolls would make an amazing MMO because it was basically an MMO already but one that was different and fun to play, it just needed the people.Sadly they took all that was unique about it and are just turning it into WoW.

This ^
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Standard WoW-based MMO (not "clone" mind you but representing the same key features thereof) are doomed to fail.  When they started development people were still trying to make it work, but it hasn't and never will within this decade.  Too late to change directions now but the developers should have seen it coming - it's their job to anticipate the market.

They failed to represent the IP and established guidelines set in previous ES games.  I understand that some features like 'kill anyone anytime' or player housing may not be feasible in an online game but locking races to factions, cutting off players from the entire world, and even distinguishing classes was not necessary. 

Originally posted by NC-John

Why not let players start out neutral and then join one of the three factions if they choose to? of course if they wanted, they could remain neutral to the primary factions and could travel to any zone without being retaliated against for remaining neutral. this would allow players to create a rogue faction of their own. the game world could remain a place that didn't have border restrictions due to faction choices for a neutral player, but you could play both sides for your own personal gain.

Not wanting to upset or make fans of TESO have to flame me for this opinion, but you guys need to get more vocal with the devs before they sell you this MMO, which will no doubt end up free to play with a cash shop within 4 months.

It needs to incorporate a great many things that make elder scrolls well...elder scrolls.

Housing before release, not a promise of housing which never comes due to having to transition to free to play.

Player centric economy with a heavy focus on player crafted gear/items/weapons, item decay to maintain a constant flow of fresh crafted gear.

the ability steal items in the game world, for example: Be able to steal a NPCs mount or pick up a crate of apples and make a run for it.

The ability to pick pocket all NPCs with a penalty if caught.

Breaking into a players houses or NPC house and stealing their underwear if you choose to. Provide housing insurance that replaces the item/s if players are touchy about the mechanic.

Allow player created quest for guilds that unlock the option. great recruiting tool to test new recruits. a personal guild instance you can decorate with creatures and items you have discovered  in the world and gear you earned or crafted with as rewards.

the ability to be cursed as a vampire or werewolf, when you transform into one you are hunted by everyone you come in contact with. you can remain cursed or you can have friends search the world and complete a series of long quest to find a cure.

Spell and potion creator. the ability to chain effects or create entire new spells.

So much they could do to make this MMO what it should be. it's just looking like they're rushing it out fast now.

I agree with much of what you posted.  People still have MMO stuck in their heads and once the hype takes control, there is nothing we can say to show them the light.  The devs will never listen to us because they think we're just being fanatics.  They wouldn't want their vision of Dark Age of Warcraft to be deluded by TES.

• Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69
    Enjoyed the article. It brings some good points. Personally, I miss "racial" bonuses, and am really tired of each faction providing the same everything to everyone (including the same classes). Hell, I even miss "racial" armor - it really gave your species a uniqueness among others.

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I thought this was going to be an article about the factions of TESO and it turned out to be an article of conjecture and make believe.  You guys must be really hurting for material if you have to pretend things are a certain way and talk about how the game would be if they were that way.  How about we just stick to reporting reality from now on or at least make it more visible that the article you're about to read is in no way based on any real information.
  • Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69
    Yeah, articles that get you thinking about what might be...that's horrible.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Iceman8235
    I thought this was going to be an article about the factions of TESO and it turned out to be an article of conjecture and make believe.  You guys must be really hurting for material if you have to pretend things are a certain way and talk about how the game would be if they were that way.  How about we just stick to reporting reality from now on or at least make it more visible that the article you're about to read is in no way based on any real information.

Well the information about factions is well known and the rest of the report is a pretty good breakdown of what we can expect.

You have basically asked  this site to "write about stuff you know or shut up"...sounds to me like you need to step outside, take a breath and head your own advice. Nothing wrong with this article or the speculation taken.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I doubt they will have huge racials if they have them at all, I would love to see them though. I hope they have different classes though for each faction, like in DAoC. Even if some are kind of similar, anything different is always fun. Since there is no 1v1 or small bg's going in at launch I think that gives them a bit a freedom with balance issues [mod edit]
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Who is this Britain faction?
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Asymmertical:  Having no balance or symmetry.

Typical Firor game

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Asymmertical:  Having no balance or symmetry.

Typical Firor game

Didn't you hear. They took the PvP from DAOC and the name from TES to try and make a really successful game....somewhere along the way though they forgot to actually come up with anything original that doesn't change the core TESO philosophy and have instead take the idea's that worked in DOAC and pasted them into TESO to make the game less TESO...while keeping the name to make money off it.

Can't wait!

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

That is what happens when a game gets "the treatment" here at MMORPG.com: the multiple articles hyping up a game from every possible angle each and every week. Even when there is nothing to say. they crank up the made up stuff to meet the quota.

One might wonder what is done for MMORPG.com by a company to get "the treatment" for their game.
  • Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by health001
    balance is boring,true MMO player can take any  classe and turn them into beasts:P

Indeed !

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

This, that's our job, making stuff up and speculating.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Every time I read something new about this game it seems more and more unlike elder scrolls.
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    Every time I read something new about this game it seems more and more unlike elder scrolls.

It's not TESO...it's DAOC2 with an elder scrolls paintjob!

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Here we go again, another game that will lock people into a category straight off the bat. It's unfortunate that TESO is going down this route when it could of gave players more options and dynamic entry to the game rather than this.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I'm not sure on this one.  It's more realistic that different races have different bonuses or special abilitites.  For instance, a lizard guy that can breathe underwater or a feline race that can see better in the dark...these things align well within the fantasy world and make it more believable.

On the other hand, I like being able to play whatever race I want without worrying about the special abilities or bonuses, and a game designer would have to take great care in ensuring that those special attributes, traits, etc were not unbalancing.

I think I would lean toward asymmetrical factions, but either way would be fine.  I know I would probably never play a lizard guy in Skyrim, except that the idea of swimming underwater unhindered is enough incentive to get me to try it.  Might help with immersion if the races are different.

Yeah....I guess I am leaning toward asymmetry.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by ShakyMo This is a good thing, different classes on each faction breeds animosity and rivalry. It's always "they are overpowered because they have paladins" etc.. great news, well done for not giving into to the balanced obsessed wow kiddies.
    Balance is an illusion.  There will always be OP classes, that is the nature of the MMO - it is constantly changing.  The trick is to make the imbalanced fun and entertaining.

And whats the alternative? Let God like classes run free and destroy the game? Let awful classes be forgotten?

Yeah, I guess when you are one of the OP classes imbalance is "fun and entertaining".

Have to say, this has really dulled my anticipation of TESO by a lot.

• mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114

I have been a huge fan of the ES series it prob gave me the love of rpgs I have today. The more I read about TESO the more it sounds like DAoC2 shoehorned into ES universe and not even remotely close to  the ES mmo that could have been ( NC-John had a nice list to start ).

This is both a mmo player and ES player that will not be buying as it looks now . Only said that because I thought I read somewhere that according to one of the devs...mmo players and ES players were 2 different groups that this game would appeal to.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by sapphen

Originally posted by ShakyMo This is a good thing, different classes on each faction breeds animosity and rivalry. It's always "they are overpowered because they have paladins" etc.. great news, well done for not giving into to the balanced obsessed wow kiddies.
    Balance is an illusion.  There will always be OP classes, that is the nature of the MMO - it is constantly changing.  The trick is to make the imbalanced fun and entertaining.
    And whats the alternative? Let God like classes run free and destroy the game? Let awful classes be forgotten?

Yeah, I guess when you are one of the OP classes imbalance is "fun and entertaining".

Have to say, this has really dulled my anticipation of TESO by a lot.

You see what you want to see Xia.  I thought by saying "MMOs constantly change" it would be understood that when a class becomes OP that it would change.  I think it's funny in a MMO, you could have a class that seems balanced then somebody stumbles upon a neat trick and then suddenly they become OP.

If your defination of "fun and entertaining" running around with an OP class then you have a sick way to define it.  When I say fun and entertaining I am talking about everyone, not just what you want.  MMOs have always been a balacing act.

Also its the grass is always greener thing, the perception that other factions classes are overpowered even if they're not. Great stuff, good for building animosity.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Also its the grass is always greener thing, the perception that other factions classes are overpowered even if they're not. Great stuff, good for building animosity.

Animosity fuels this genre, didn't you know that?

They should have copied more things from daoc. Like not having instances, crafting providing top gear and player housing.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

1 thing I clearly remember from DAoC was the constant "Balance Patches" .

One month some Class would get buffed while another would get nerfed into uselessness. Then the next month the buffed Class would get nerfed and another would get buffed.

It was never ending. All in the name of "balance"

Mythic swung the nerf/buff bat like a spaztic child trying to hit a pinata

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

3 factions are there to take care of the alleged Asymmetry.

The imbalance you get in a 2 faction game is massive, no matter what you (dev) do.

I am absolutely for asymmetry, realm pride, each race has it's perks and it's flaws, and let people experiment with builds.

Back in the day, I remember Bretons being the fotm ice wizards because of 10 extra constitution points and being easily confused with priests (both in robes with a staff), or other classes voluntarily being rolled with "wrong unviable" race for their looks but also for their size.

When I started, someone had an avalonian paladin (silly choice) and he's been made fun of for months (if not years) - still, it was the highest ranked paladin on the server, feared and respected - and it all started because he made an "unviable" choice! Maybe for the sake of roleplaying? I don't know - but it was cool.

Part of the gameplay is all the theorycraft behind building your perfect character - pretty please take daoc and reskin it with TESO lore.

This discussion has been closed.