Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a (fantasy, crafting, building) sandbox RPG

IvarXIvarX Member UncommonPosts: 7

Hey guys,

My name is Ivar and I'm a 18 years old guy living in the Netherlands. I've been into the PvP game League of Legends for a pretty long time now, but playing a game of  League of Legends always requires some focus and concentration. At some times I just want to sit down in my chair, relax, and play a game that requires a little less effort to play.  I've been into some of the big MMORPGs, but right now, I am looking for a game in which I can pretty much do whatever I want, but guided to a certain extend. So I would like it if there were to be a story line or some RPG elements.

I am looking for a game with a fantasy setting, preferably not a futuristic setting, but I'm always open for suggestions. Games I have enjoyed in the past are MineCraft and Terraria and two games I am still looking forward to are CubeWorld and Starbound. I'm also trying out the alpha of the games Realm Explorer and The Lords of Uberdark, but I am actually trying to find a game much like that, but a little bit more... Finished :)

There are some things I would like to see in a game. Of course I can understand that not every game can have everything in it I like, so don't stop yourself from doing a suggestion if something on the list is not in your game. But this are just the things I like most in a game:

In the game I want to be able to shape the world myself, the landscape, the environment. I want to build a shelter, a house, a town with a farm. I want to be able to craft things and explore the world. Go on an adventure. I would like to see my character progress, gain levels, learn new skills. I don't mind if the game is 2D, 2.5D, 3D. Online, offline, pay to play, free to play. I also don't really care about the difficulty of the game. I like it when there is a huge learning curve, but I do like it when everything is explained though. The graphical/art style I prefer is a style which is not too realistic. Games that look cartoony like CubeWorld, Starbound and The Lords of Uberdark appeal to me the most. I just get bored of games that look too advanced rather quickly.

I am open to any suggestions. 

Thank you in advance :)

Ivar

Sources to games mentioned in my topic: (assuming that not everybody knows every game on the planet even if I know them :) )

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/

https://minecraft.net/

http://www.terraria.org/

http://wollay.blogspot.com/

www.playstarbound.com

http://www.lordsofuberdark.com/

http://www.realmexplorer.com/

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wuurm might be the one to try. I've not played it, but notch of minecraft fame used to work on it.

Starbound too as you've mentioned, but that's not strictly a mmo, it uses a hybrid solo / private / public server setup much like elite 4 and a few other upcoming games.

It's a shame it has to be fantasy as eve is a great mmo for crafters.
  • IvarXIvarX Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Wuurm might be the one to try. I've not played it, but notch of minecraft fame used to work on it.

Starbound too as you've mentioned, but that's not strictly a mmo, it uses a hybrid solo / private / public server setup much like elite 4 and a few other upcoming games.

It's a shame it has to be fantasy as eve is a great mmo for crafters.

Thank you for the quick response. Wurm online might indeed be something to try out. I did hear that it takes a very long time to understand the game and to get something small done, but that it's worth it in the end. I'm also aware that it had some sort of a remake at 12/12/12. The fun thing is also that a lot of my attempts to find a game, ends up at Wurm Online. The only real downside to me right now, is that the art style and the overall feel of the game does not really appeal to me much. But that might be just something to get over.

I have actually looked up EVE for a bit, but I just don't think that game would suit me..

I might be starting to read a little more about Wurm, but I'm still looking for more suggestions :)

• delimeat567delimeat567 Member Posts: 56

Wurm is a great game if you have the patience. Although if you are a crafter and a builder, then I assume you must have at least some modicum of patience. 

It's problems are relatively well known, the graphics are awful (and not stylized awful, like Minecraft), and the animations are few and far between - in fact most of the things you do don't have animations. 

However, once you get passed the aesthetics, you have an extremely complicated game that takes some time to get into and rewards you when you place down your first fence post. It's a great feeling. The sandbox gameplay is fantastic, but the graphics are just plain awful. Also, combat is pretty uneventful because of the animation issues listed above. Wurm is definitely worth trying. 

EVE Online is a good game, with good enough graphics and lots of sandbox options. But I've always found the hermit-style building to be... difficult to achieve. It is a much more bloodthirsty community then, say, Wurm. Also the Commmunity can rub some people the wrong way. 

I'd recommend Wurm over EVE, but that's not saying EVE is a bad game at all.

Played: SWG, SWG:NGE, EQ2, Vanguard, LotRO, WoW, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Mortal Online, Rift, Guild Wars, Fallen Earth, EVE Online, Ryzom, Dungeons and Dragons Online, World of Tanks, Aion, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2

• XivikXivik Member Posts: 10
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you are however there doesn't really seem to be anything there. Doesn't help that most of us dutchies atleast people I know and coworkers just run from themepark to themepark.

Eve just can't hold my interest, the emptiness of space, the loneliness of your spaceship. The harder I look the more I think the type of game is yet to be made. I don't mind not too great graphics but I prefer simple 2d sprites over some of the 3d graphics I've seen in for example wurm. I've even been thinking of going back to tibia again. Hope you have more luck though!
  • joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275

I've played wurm over the years, and my only gripe is the skill advances(and Everything has a skill) are too slow. even on the PVP servers.  that and the pvp servers were(at the time) a ghost town, the pve server you can prolly find peeps, but the skill increases in there are even slower than pvp servers.

if the skillups were increased as well as population, i would prolly go back.

To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by IvarX

Hey guys,

My name is Ivar and I'm a 18 years old guy living in the Netherlands. I've been into the PvP game League of Legends for a pretty long time now, but playing a game of  League of Legends always requires some focus and concentration. At some times I just want to sit down in my chair, relax, and play a game that requires a little less effort to play.  I've been into some of the big MMORPGs, but right now, I am looking for a game in which I can pretty much do whatever I want, but guided to a certain extend. So I would like it if there were to be a story line or some RPG elements.

I am looking for a game with a fantasy setting, preferably not a futuristic setting, but I'm always open for suggestions. Games I have enjoyed in the past are MineCraft and Terraria and two games I am still looking forward to are CubeWorld and Starbound. I'm also trying out the alpha of the games Realm Explorer and The Lords of Uberdark, but I am actually trying to find a game much like that, but a little bit more... Finished :)

There are some things I would like to see in a game. Of course I can understand that not every game can have everything in it I like, so don't stop yourself from doing a suggestion if something on the list is not in your game. But this are just the things I like most in a game:

In the game I want to be able to shape the world myself, the landscape, the environment. I want to build a shelter, a house, a town with a farm. I want to be able to craft things and explore the world. Go on an adventure. I would like to see my character progress, gain levels, learn new skills. I don't mind if the game is 2D, 2.5D, 3D. Online, offline, pay to play, free to play. I also don't really care about the difficulty of the game. I like it when there is a huge learning curve, but I do like it when everything is explained though. The graphical/art style I prefer is a style which is not too realistic. Games that look cartoony like CubeWorld, Starbound and The Lords of Uberdark appeal to me the most. I just get bored of games that look too advanced rather quickly.

I am open to any suggestions. 

Thank you in advance :)

Ivar

It's like you were describing Salem. Give it a go, it's in beta and free. And it was promissed there will be no wipe when it gets released.

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/salem

You will probably need a key to play tho. You can google for it or find it right here on mmorpg.com:

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/388/Salem-Beta-Key-Giveaway.html

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

like others have recommended, EVE is really the best (and highest-quality) of the sandbox games. however, it really is NOT for everyone. i take it in a few months at a time (since 2005). 

the game that really seemed more along what you describe is Xyson.

http://www.xsyon.com/content.php

however, it does not guide you in any way (similarly to Wurm). 

another game that might fit some of your criteria is Fallen Earth. it is not fantasy (post-apocalyptic), but has a fabulous crafting mechanic, and seems to be moving ever closer (slowly) to a sandbox type of play...even recently introducing farms. there are definite themepark elements to it, but everyone is deceptively free to do whatever they like.

otherwise, there are games coming that might also be worth looking forward to:

ArcheAge (when it launches in the west)

The Repopulation

Pathfinder Online

• HuggmuthHuggmuth Member UncommonPosts: 28

You should really try Salem out, it fits your description perfectly!

It took me like 30-60min to get used to it etc, but once you have it is great fun.