Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is great but why am I not having fun ?

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

My biggest issue is that I have so few abilities. And of those few abilities, only a couple are worth using from fight to fight.

Dagger thief plays like this for me: 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 oh he's almost dead . . . 2.

4 is a dagger throw which slows them . . . which is useless in pve as I'm melee and don't want them to approach me any slower and nothing ever seems to run away in this game.

5 hits and stealths me, but the damage is poor and 3 is just a better ability.

1 is "auto-attack" So it's a wasted slot on the hotbar imo.

So I basically have 2 skills, only one of which I use for the majority of every fight. The rest of my time is filled with my "special" cooldown abilities: Heal, AoE Stealth, Blind, Backroll for initiative, and Summon Thiefs.

The problem is, if I use my cooldown abilities for a single mob, then I won't have them for the next couple of mobs. So they're really only worth using against veteran mobs or 3-4 mobs at a time. That's what kills it for me.

I have come up with some pretty fun playstyles with Sword/Dagger and Pistol/Dagger that involves weapon switching and shadow stepping all over the place, but it takes much longer to kill things and I have less survivability.

• Thoth-AmonThoth-Amon Member Posts: 91
    i liked it too but found the character race choices just too samey. i miss orcs and undead etc. wheres the baddies!
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by grimal
    Tastes great but not filling.

ROFL! Quote of the Day.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by zspawn

I wasn't hyping about it... I didn't really play GW1 (i owned it but WoW took most of my time)

I bought it on an impulse... Everything is techincally great in my POV, I cannot point and blame WHY I am *not* having fun in this game...

I admit the PVE portion is pretty good and relaxed but I am thinking it feels like playing a single player RPG but with other people running around.. Granted I am only level 10 I am thinking I didn't get into the massive group stuff yet...

But the WvWvW feels pointless to me right now...even if it's fun I can't really say it's worth my time..Perhaps I'm missing something here..

sPvP sounds great on paper for me too but playing a bit these past few days it just feels messy and I'm not sure what I'm doing and if I'm doing something it doesn't feel like it "registers"... Hits don't seem to "hit" other players etc.

Maybe it's because I'm a guardian ?

I don't want to give up since it's the last MMORPG i'll probably buy for a while (I gave up on all the rest out there) and I refuse to go back to monthly fees so... Any ideas? Suggestions?

I'm thinking I'm missing something since this game doesn't follow the usual MMO guidelines like quest hubs etc. so...help out a fellow gamer? :)

I think it has more to do with variety. Well at least for me it is. I see you mentioned old nes and snes games. Can you imagine the boredom you would feel if you had a new console and was only allowed to play one game on it? Especially if that console cost you a few thousand bucks! But if you get bored with a certain game all you do is pop another one in and settle down to something new for a while. I think this mentality is slowly making its way into how we approach mmos as well. And devs are making that transition even easier by easing the restraints on how much time we need to set aside for a session. So naturally when you feel that familiar feeling of redundancy kicking in your natural reaction from your console (single player gaming) days is to switch gears and reach for the next game to pop in, so to speak. Odd really, but that's what I feel like at least.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by Scottgun

ROFL! Quote of the Day.

I agree with this. In fact I approve of the entire thread. +1 internets.

So much gear drops all the time, that crafting is useless and the items created are not on par with a same level drop. SO why even have it in there? It takes 10 items to make a weapon and then you recycle it and get 2 back. So much stuff on the AH if you have a little coin you can buy anything you need much cheaper than crafting it. Of course you can just spend some cash and get gems and them convert it to gold and buy anything you could ever possibly want.

No effort required at all. You basically run around and hit one or two buttons. You can buy your way through with real cash. It is a pretty lousy state, in my mind, that  "Jumping Puzzles" are a major game component. it is a major game component because it is the only time you are not pressing 3.3.3.dodge.3.3.3.escape skill. 3.3.3. 4.

Yeah, I know you can hit other skills, but most of the time it is just one attack and put passive boosts on your other bar.

I won't even get started on all the repetative DE's, and all the bugged broken ones. Or the mostly cutesy boring hearts.

Since this is a thread from a new lower level player, I will add one tip.

You can use a speed boost skill to jump farther. Add a speed boost to your bar when going for big jumps.Oh, and use it .      :)

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Join a guild and be social. Its still a MMO, even though it is solo friendly. MMOs are always better with friends. People seem to think that just because you don't have to chat or group up, means that you can't.

The game gives you options, if your experience isnt social, its because of you, not the game.

Running around in WvW with people you know is great fun.

• zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    I think it has more to do with variety. Well at least for me it is. I see you mentioned old nes and snes games. Can you imagine the boredom you would feel if you had a new console and was only allowed to play one game on it? Especially if that console cost you a few thousand bucks! But if you get bored with a certain game all you do is pop another one in and settle down to something new for a while. I think this mentality is slowly making its way into how we approach mmos as well. And devs are making that transition even easier by easing the restraints on how much time we need to set aside for a session. So naturally when you feel that familiar feeling of redundancy kicking in your natural reaction from your console (single player gaming) days is to switch gears and reach for the next game to pop in, so to speak. Odd really, but that's what I feel like at least.

I have this feeling from time to time as well... It happens in MMOs when I quit WoW for 1 year then found another game to play only to feel "back in time" again.. The only game I did enjoy playing the past years after WoW was suprisingly Warhammer Online... There was something fun in it I can't pinpoint but it got my adrenaline pumping...

Now it all feels so clinical and sterile with GW2... :(

This mindset does occur in console gaming as well for me... Play an anticipated game, finish it...say WOW IT WAS GREAT..Then pop in the next one and keep moving...

Inside me I have this urge to get back on the old mindset of actually ENJOYING games and feeling good playing them..

Don't tell me to get another hobby, I already have several others so this isn't a problem on my part I think...It's the general aura of gaming in this time and age...

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    First ten levels was the most fun I had.  Game felt alive in the starter zone,  then dead.

So you enjoyed basic tutorial DEs, beginners crafting and few skills with basicily beginners armour and weapons?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I didn't have fun until I got to the later zones which were more of a solo challenge and gave you more of a sense of accomplishment. With the limiting of skills and character progression being pretty weak, I resorted to making too many alts which helped with my need for more skills and character progression.  I'm now finally hooked working towards 100% world completion with my lvl 80.

You may also try playing duo if available or joining a guild.  Both should help with the boredom and ease of the first 50ish levels.

I didn't have fun because this game has no soul.  It's just another solo game with easy content and progression, boring combat, useless crafting, etc.  There's no challenge to it, nor is there anything remotely player-driven.  .

Why do you even bother trying out GW2 when it sounds like you are more into sandbox gaming, that really makes no sense at all.

Originally posted by Karteli

A

It's pretty much a carebear game.  Nobody is permitted to have rivals, like in other MMO's.  No /who command, because that might lead to stalking.  Extremely limited emotes.

Dont forget you can't sit in chairs and that's a epic letdown and antisocial aspect of the game.image

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    well i just hit 80 and hvae decided to stop playing. the last few levels where very boring . Its odd the game looks great but after about level 40 just started to get stale for me. It did give me a few months of entertainment so i feel I got my moneys worth from it. But now i am done. back to Vanguard for me till something new comes out.
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by paulytheb
    Originally posted by Scottgun

ROFL! Quote of the Day.

I agree with this. In fact I approve of the entire thread. +1 internets.

So much gear drops all the time, that crafting is useless and the items created are not on par with a same level drop. SO why even have it in there? It takes 10 items to make a weapon and then you recycle it and get 2 back. So much stuff on the AH if you have a little coin you can buy anything you need much cheaper than crafting it. Of course you can just spend some cash and get gems and them convert it to gold and buy anything you could ever possibly want.

Indeed you would think after other games have stuck their hand in the drops > crafting blender GW could have avoided this. This is why I half-jokingly say that Tabula Rasa had the best crafting system in any mmorpg because it only took you ten minutes to figure out it was a waste of time as opposed to other games where you don't learn this until you've grinded to Grand Poobahx1023rd of Woodworking.

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

Why no fun?

- There is never any danger in the PVE world since no PVP there.

- There is no sense of danger ever in this game and without that most players can't have that epic feeling like they accomplished something. Also this casuses everyone to solo since they could care less about having help since there is no danger.

- When you defeat huge or even rare bosses, you get a piece of cloth most times or other useless junk. Most people play games for rewards or to find treasure or something unique. This game has none of that.

People have ruined MMOS the past 10 years making them where everyone feels like a hero and where you have the option to PVP and option to do group content.

But 2013 might bring it back with sandboxes, open PVP and even some games with permadeath. Challenge, difficulty and danger, the fun will return.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410

Maybe you're right.. The PVE is nice but I keep thinking "I could have been playing Dragon Age or "insert name of a single player 3rd person RPG here"... So why play PVE in GW2 instead? As I said I probably am too low of level to see the group content though...

Crafting I tried but it seems that it will cost  A LOT OF GOLD and im unsure if I'll craft anything useful...

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by bansan
    If you were a heavy WOW player...it is going to be rough. Blizzard did psychological studies and tweaked their game based on Pavlovian principles. Meaning, they tried to connect directly with our subconscious...ring the bell, the dog starts to salivate. Other games that aren't designed to specifically target that, always feel like they are missing something. The part you are missing is the subconscious salivating.

EQ/WoW conditioned their players pretty hard (for Blizz it started with D2). I never bought into it, guess im not their target audience ;P

Originally posted by Karteli

As you said, GW2 is pretty much a single player game.  Sure, some fans will come by and tell you that you need to be social to make GW2 social, but the game just isn't designed as such.

It's pretty much a carebear game.  Nobody is permitted to have rivals, like in other MMO's.  No /who command, because that might lead to stalking.  Extremely limited emotes.  Guilds that only serve as an extra chatbox option.  No inspect, no achievement comparisons.  Nothing that might make someone feel competitive.  Just, 'blah'.

Zones might be interesting if they weren't always square shaped.  Exploration is silly, because the map is pretty much already laid out for you by it's square / rectangular design.  Points of interest / Vista's / anything interesting is clearly marked on the zone.

I guess a big selling point of GW2 is jumping puzzles, but even EverQuest had areas that required jumping.  It wasn't a game feature then, but now it suddenly is.

Great graphics engine with GW2 though .. just a very lonely & boring game inside.

No rivals? Really?

ATM we have top rival WvWvW week, theres sPvP/tPvP.

And PvE? RIvalry in PvE? lol, thats absurd concept in itself

Originally posted by mysticmouse
    well i just hit 80 and hvae decided to stop playing. the last few levels where very boring . Its odd the game looks great but after about level 40 just started to get stale for me. It did give me a few months of entertainment so i feel I got my moneys worth from it. But now i am done. back to Vanguard for me till something new comes out.

I cannot fathom what people see in Vanguard, after few years game felt like its still somewher beween alpha and beta, world is bad (chunks lol), monsters are put there in abudnacy so they can be farmed more efficiently (ala "old school")

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

To answer the OP, what hindered MY OWN enjoyment of GW2 was that the everything felt the same. What I mean is like every event felt like the same event I did before it. Gather a certain number of items, wait for the attack, kill the big bad boss. Rinse and repeat.

People like to use the "kill 10 rats" quest analogy, that is what the dynamic events felt like...a never ending kill 10 rats zerg quest.

• KhondorKhondor Member UncommonPosts: 51
    There is no real reward or progression in this game.  After 80, it's just kind of aimless.
  • OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    OP if you're not having fun the game isn't great.
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

i still have fun playing with friends (i mean guild) and we together run dungeons or if we are more than five we run high lvl areas or WvW where we seek large battles, if i am alone i try to grind a bit for my legendary but always i end up in wvw with other random peeps hunting for small battles : )

also always try to do my daily and my daily visit at rich orichalcum at Lost Shores

: )

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

GW2 to me is like marrying that very attractive but also not so bright supermodel.

Sure it looks pretty but its hard to stay awake in its company 90% of the time.

Darkfall, she may not look so attractive, but she makes me laugh.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

I'm personally not having fun because the game is still too much about numbers for me. On the one end of the spectrum you have stuff like World of Wracraft, Lord of the Rings Online, and Guild Wars 2. In those games, outcomes are determined by numbers; gear numbers, trait numbers, and your level, more than anything else. On the other end of the spectrum you have games like Champions Onlilne and TERA.

The mechanics in GW2 are balanced so that numbers and other elements define a fight more than player skill does. This wasn't true of GW1, but it is of GW2. Okay, let me give you some examples. There's a mechanic in GW2 called 'glancing blows,' where if you fight a mob five levels above you, your damage starts to zero out, 10 levels above you and you're doing no damage. There's also a system where the higher a level the mob is compared to you, the more damage they do. And this isn't based upon gear so much, even, this is an exponential scale based upon levels. So a mob 10 levels or so above you will almost generally always one-shot you. I've seen a level 28 norn be one-shotted by a level 40 lynx.

The dodge-roll is really slow (animation-wise) and so infrequent that you'd do just as well walking out of a circle, that's why most people don't use it. Most people pick the ability they want to spam and just occasionally do heals, or use passives to make up the difference. So you're just standing there doing 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, heal, 3, 3, 4, 3, 3, 3, and the end result feels as face-rolly as any game I've ever played. Now compare this to TERA, where you actually have to aim your abilities via a reticle, and where mobs do tells that lead to attacks that do serious damage if you don't roll out of the day. Rolling, blocking, and aiming are necessary in TERA. TERA's combat really turned out to be what I wanted GW2's to be.

If you have a character that can roll, then you can pretty much go and defeat a big-ass monster (as they're called) 20 or more levels above you in TERA. You'll never do that in GW2. And you just feel stuck in the same damn zones for too long. Don't you even think of exploring outside of the zones you're gated in, because the numbers won't let you. Your skill has no impact on this. So you can't just skip a zone or two ahead and start questing, because regardless of your skill, you're still going to die. Once I realised that that was the case, I dropped GW2 like a bad habit.

That is, perhaps, the most hugely disappointing thing, for me. I was hoping that GW2 would be a game where my ability to play mattered more than the numbers I had, similar to GW1. But GW1 is closer to TERA and CO, GW2 is closer to WoW and LOTRO. And really, if I wanted to play WoW I'd play WoW. GW2 has ended up feeling like a poor man's WoW.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

I'm personally not having fun because the game is still too much about numbers for me. On the one end of the spectrum you have stuff like World of Wracraft, Lord of the Rings Online, and Guild Wars 2. In those games, outcomes are determined by numbers; gear numbers, trait numbers, and your level, more than anything else. On the other end of the spectrum you have games like Champions Onlilne and TERA.

The mechanics in GW2 are balanced so that numbers and other elements define a fight more than player skill does. This wasn't true of GW1, but it is of GW2. Okay, let me give you some examples. There's a mechanic in GW2 called 'glancing blows,' where if you fight a mob five levels above you, your damage starts to zero out, 10 levels above you and you're doing no damage. There's also a system where the higher a level the mob is compared to you, the more damage they do. And this isn't based upon gear so much, even, this is an exponential scale based upon levels. So a mob 10 levels or so above you will almost generally always one-shot you. I've seen a level 28 norn be one-shotted by a level 40 lynx.

The dodge-roll is really slow (animation-wise) and so infrequent that you'd do just as well walking out of a circle, that's why most people don't use it. Most people pick the ability they want to spam and just occasionally do heals, or use passives to make up the difference. So you're just standing there doing 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, heal, 3, 3, 4, 3, 3, 3, and the end result feels as face-rolly as any game I've ever played. Now compare this to TERA, where you actually have to aim your abilities via a reticle, and where mobs do tells that lead to attacks that do serious damage if you don't roll out of the day. Rolling, blocking, and aiming are necessary in TERA. TERA's combat really turned out to be what I wanted GW2's to be.

If you have a character that can roll, then you can pretty much go and defeat a big-ass monster (as they're called) 20 or more levels above you in TERA. You'll never do that in GW2. And you just feel stuck in the same damn zones for too long. Don't you even think of exploring outside of the zones you're gated in, because the numbers won't let you. Your skill has no impact on this. So you can't just skip a zone or two ahead and start questing, because regardless of your skill, you're still going to die. Once I realised that that was the case, I dropped GW2 like a bad habit.

That is, perhaps, the most hugely disappointing thing, for me. I was hoping that GW2 would be a game where my ability to play mattered more than the numbers I had, similar to GW1. But GW1 is closer to TERA and CO, GW2 is closer to WoW and LOTRO. And really, if I wanted to play WoW I'd play WoW. GW2 has ended up feeling like a poor man's WoW.

Wow, you spent all that time making crap up about the combat that you apparently never took part in? Impressive. First off, dodge roll is a vital part of the combat system. It grants you moments of invulnerability to avoid those hits you're not meant to take but are about to. If you're a mesmer like my character there, you can use dodge roll as an offensive boost as well. It's a vital part of the action-oriented combat in the game. If you're just standing there doing 3,3,3,3,3,heal... well, no wonder you can't grasp the combat, you're doing it wrong and not trying to do it right.

As far as beating Champion class mobs in GW2 (the equivalent to BAMs in TERA), there are plenty that a skilled player (one smart enough to move, dodge and not do 3,3,3,3,3,heal all day) can defeat, but you'll have to be on your toes to do so. 

It's unfortunate that people will come into these forums and blatantly lie about the game in order to try and promote their personal mediocre preference. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by zspawn
    Originally posted by botrytis

People feel they need to be forced to group in order for it to be considered by them an MMO - I think that defeats the purpose. It may not be the game for you - honestly.

1. Do you belong to a guild? That helps in social activity.

2. Do you do DE's? That also helps - as people need to work together - it doesn't mean in the same group though.

3. Chatting - do you chat or just blow through maps?

4. There is no quest hubs per se - but when you get near hearts - you get the quest and it shows up in a list on the right side of your screen.

So.. 

1) Yes I do, albeit not a very active one... They're really friendly and involving and tightly-knit but there's not always someone online to chat with...

2) DE? I am assuming the Dynamic Events (hearts??) - If you mean this, then yes I just run around trying to get all the skill points/vistas and hearts - However I rarely find someone around 

3) I don't really chat since I don't really find anyone around that's willing to do so...Even If I do stop to smell the roses, the others aren't.

4) Yeah I figured that out so I go to POIs and hearts and when I'm done with an area I move to the next

1 & 3: And then you wonder why the game might feel single player?  Assuming your aren't being a faker about this to make a snarky point, why don't you put effort into fixing 1 & 3 first?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Khondor
    There is no real reward or progression in this game.  After 80, it's just kind of aimless.

Do you need to have an 'atta boy' in EVERY GAME? Do you get that in RL? Games are menat to be fun. If you have to play for a reward, then I don't get it.

If you aren't enjoying a game why play it?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Its the same old MMO all over again. Once you get past the glitter, you realize its just the standerd Fantasy MMo repeated yet again. The lack of progression in favor of making it 'fair' I suppose for casuals (which is actually a poor choice for many reasons, even for the casuals its suppose to be supporting) really makes the game feel so lack luster during the leveling phase and limits the sense of accomplishment your suppose to feel. This makes it so if your past the 'naive' phase a lot more lack luster.

Combat though, that is where this game trips over itself and faceplants into the group for me and a lot more open to admit it. It really feels like they didn't know what kind of system they wanted to put into the game. Should it be tab target (standerd MMo) or perhaps more aiming/skill based emphasizing action (Tera) which they went with a mix which really makes combat so clunky. Its easy to miss skills due to terrain or other effects that wouldn't happen if it was a real tab target game and your likely able to actually adjust for if it was an action based.

This is worst when the desire to have casuals play seems to emphasize dodging being the 'ends to justify the means' of skill which makes combat VERY simplistic. You can master even the more complex classes really quick in this game, and your going to be doing the same thing over and over again the whole time. I remember mesmer being hyped up a lot and while I enjoyed the idea of the class, it was very elementary to play. It just feel so easy, and when you can basically go afk in events following the 'zerg' it only trivializes the game more (Why have 1 being an auto attack? Really why?) where I feel more involved in a game like Rift with events then GW2. 

Its got good features but two major areas it just fails to deliver on and I think ANet at least knows the one (progression). Combat isn't likely to change and unfortunately this game's combat system is lack luster and it would be the only thing that might of kept my attention. Its just yet another fantasy MMo over again which I think is why so many people just play it and then don't pick it up again, combined with other elements it lacks from those games that often kept us playing.