Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you like MMOs

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There is so Munch negativiity on these boards with everything new MMO Theo release. Somehow i noticed mant perplex overheersing are done and over with MMOs.

So here comestibles my question. Do you still enjoy playing MMOs?

And of not, what should change to get you playing again.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Yes, i like them.

Too bad nowadays there aren't any MMOs around anymore.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I like all good games. I like some MMOs but I'm not actively playing any.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I'll admit I use to like MMORPG's more then today's MMO's.

Still not sure why it's acceptable to have singleplayer RPG feature's such as story in a MMORPG and the almost guided way to cap lvl limited towards combat mostly.

Graphicly we have evolved, gameplay wise this genre became very limited which to me is the cause of low player retention. As all you get in today's MMO's the type of player that threats this genre like any other online combat game with hardly to no dedication towards the gameworld and it's community which is understandable due to the nature of how these games are made today.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I haven't really played an mmorpg in about a year now.  I've tried a few in that time but never lasted past the first few days.

Do I like like mmorpg's?  I used to but my interest has waned over time.  The direction they're headed is the polar opposite of what I hoped.  Ask me again next year and my answer will probably be "no" unless something radically changes.

Forum PvP is still fun.  The fans never disappoint.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    I think I like the idea of MMOs and their possibilities more, than the actual execution of them.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    I like sandboxes, apart from EVE Online, you don't see those anymore.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Yes, I am currently enjoying playing an MMO.

It's a grossly incomplete POS in pre-alpha, but I like playing it.

I've pretty much given up on ever finding the "magic" in a commercial MMORPG again.  I figure if they can't provide it, I'll try to make it happen on my own.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Big fan of the virtual world, economy and social aspects of MMOs. They've been both my entertainment and my job for over a decade now and I'm not sick of them yet, so I think they'll be a favorite of mine for some time to come.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    I like all good games. I like some MMOs but I'm not actively playing any.

Admit it. When no one is looking you're PVPing in EVE on one screen while throwing pies at bad guys in ToonTown on the other.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I like many aspects of MMOs, but I'm not very fond of the strong emphasis on perpetual gear grind that seems to be the end game in most of them since WOW. There's no perfect recent MMO for me. I play a bit of SWTOR and GW 2 while I wait for new MMOs to be released that might appeal to me more.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Depends on the era.. OLD mmo's YES.. They were very much like playing AD&D.. but this new stuff is more like playing a subscription based Xbox arcade game.. NO thanks..
  • PsiKahnPsiKahn Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Starpower
    I think I like the idea of MMOs and their possibilities more, than the actual execution of them.

Nailed it.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I enjoy playing fun games, and some MMOs are fun to me. So no, i don't like every MMO but i do like some like STO, DDO, PS2.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I like some things in today's mmo's but in some ways they are horrid.

I hate maps that have big glowing areas, right down to the square  meter, showing me where I should go. Quests are more about relay races than anything else.

That's one of the reasons I found The Secret World's quests so refreshing. I actually would have to stop and think.

Though of course it still has big glowing areas on the maps.

I hate having to do quests in order to be competitive or have progression.

I don't like the idea of end game. Especially raiding. oh, I like the idea of donig a few raids. But logging in to repeat raids ad nauseum is not my thing. I would much rather get my gear from players.

I don't like how much of the combat is about damage. When I first started/tried mmo's I thought it would be more like morrowind and neverwinter nights' combined (just my take on it at the time) as I thought there would be greater variety of spells and abilities. Like "light" because areas were dark Or perhaps divination spells to tell one of the area, etc. maybe casting a "tentacles"  spell or dark spell to hinder your opponent.

I don't like how they are more like "games" and less like worlds. I realize others don't hold the same value on that but there it is.

I don't like goiing to a cave and getting a "you are not on the appropriate section of a quest" message if I want to enter.

I hate having to earn "faction" by doing certain things over and over so I can get points in order to benefit.

hmmm, maybe I don't like mmo's!!!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by PsiKahn

Nailed it.

I agree.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I notice that some of the most active and vocal forum users don't play MMO's any longer. One has to wonder if these people who are so vocal are "the voice of the people" or merely a fringe group out of touch with the rest of the playerbase.
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by PsiKahn

Nailed it.

I agree.

It's unfortunate but I have to say that I feel the same way. It really is amazing to observe a genre of gaming with such an unparalleled level of potential produce so little fruit.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    In between mmo's right now, and I'd rather read this site than play another soul-sucking free-to-play treadmill.
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I enjoy my time in TERA and FFXI at the moment. But that doesn't mean I am content with the genre as a whole. We have progressed so little in actual game systems its sad. You would think after over 10 years of MMORPG's releasing we would have some seriously innovative and amazing worlds to enter. But unfortunately we just keep getting a reskinned WoW with a minor alteration here and there. 

Don't get me wrong, graphically we are advancing quite nicely, but mechanically we are progressing at a snails pace. Why are NPC's still just vendor machines and static quest hubs.  Why are towns/outposts/cities devoid of actual life. Would it be so hard to give NPC's pathing that has a branching system that allows them to interact with other NPC's as there paths cross. Sure it would still be static, but it would be more appealing then what we have now with NPC's just standing still and not doing anything but waiting for the next player to come pick up the next kill 10 wolves quest. 

Questing is abysmal, why hasn't this evolved at all? The quests should evolve into a storyline in themselves. Sure it would take longer to flesh out that sort of thing and put a game in development longer then the usual 4 years. But I think we are at that point where we need to be doing that. Stop accepting mediocre games at best and start demanding more from development studios and publishers. 

SWTOR is a perfect example. How can you spend upwards of 300million on a game such as that. More importantly, why would you spend that much money on a game designed like that. Even on paper you could see the game wasn't going to be appealing after the class storyline was finished. 

If they had added in guild storylines, and captial ships, Illum hadn't been a failure, an actual decent engine suited for MMO's. It might have been a good game, still not worth 300 million, but a good game none the less. 

Then you realize why the genre is doing so bad when you look at the analysts these development companies are taking advice from. And the publishers who are pushing the genre a certain way. 

Hopefully Smedley has actually had his eyes opened by the high demand of games like DF and ArcheAge to succeed, that he has realized we don't want mediocre anymore. We want games with deep mechanics, good combat and player interaction in the world and with other players. Hopefully EverQuest Next will actually end up being something worth playing...Hopefully. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Cecropia

It's unfortunate but I have to say that I feel the same way. It really is amazing to observe a genre of gaming with such an unparalleled level of potential produce so little fruit.

"potential" is irrelevant. You can't play "potential".

Some of the current MMOs are fun games. Some are even fun single player games. But again, it is silly concept to like the whole genre. I am sure everyone has MMos that they like, and those they don't.

• Z0RR0Z0RR0 Member Posts: 9
    Yes i am still having fun playing mmo games :)
  • DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

I havn't really played any mmo's in awhile, untill GW2. All the hype on that got me wanting to play it for a pretty long time. Then i actually played it and quit after like a month and a half. I hope all the mmo's arn't like that these day, but the way these forumns been lately, got me abit worried.

Auto-grouping - no thanks

everyone revives everone - no thanks

warp to points all over the map - no thanks

everyone shared same gathering points and mobs - no thanks

That game was way to casuall and no competition in the PVE part of the game. No big diffrence between jobs in that game. I hope future mmo's dont do that.

I dont want a zerg fest game, i want a group based pve game that everyone playes there role and works together to help build a strong community between its playerbase.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Do I like MMOs? IAmMMO!  ;p Planetside 2 is my MMO atm. I have nothing but fun jumping in for a couple hours on Miller most evenings at peak time. The miller server is starting to shape up nicely as it's one of the busiest servers with a community that's now settling down with people who enjoy the game and know how to play.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824

I had a break from MMO's that lasted 3 to 4 months. I do not find ezMMO's which is nearly all we seem to have today that appealing. I started PS2 (not really a MMO) a few weeks ago, enjoying that, I think it is because it is not a MMO I am enjoying it!

But I am already looking for my next MMO, if you find or return to a good guild, you cannot beat them.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I like MMOs, but maybe not as much as I used to think.  I was stuck in the WoW phase for a long time and nothing had satisfied me until GW2 renewed my faith in the genre.  But come on, you can't like every game that comes out.  I love FPS games too, but I don't play all of them, and some that I thought were boring, other people loved (Fallout 3 etc.).  It's going to be like that.  Just because you like dramas on tv doesn't mean you're necessarily going to like both House MD and Grey's Anatomy (House ftw).