Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Played AA OBT for around 10 days

vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125

Pros:

Good graphic

Free(kind of) pvp system

Huge ocean area which you can actually do something on it (sea battle)

Non instanced player housing, although there is little you can do with the house and its only limited in some area thus every houses or farms squeezs up against each other. Sadly there is no room in the entire server to build another house now, ya I mean it, my guildes and I just checked in the past 2 days, you need less than 2 hours to check all the residential area avalible for each side (east or west, you belong to one of them) in the entire world.

Cons:

Little content, only 1 small map for each level range, you follow the main road do some quests then move to the next map,and you are still on the same road, its like watching a highway movie. Most linear map in any MMO ive ever played.Top level players run around everywhere in like 5 days. There are 1/3 maps not released yet though. I believe the third map wont be so linear since it will be all top level zones.

About the map size: there are 3 continent, 2 are released (west and east), you will be mainly playing on one of them depends on which side you blong, each continent belongs to a faction. Around  8 to 10 maps on each continent , if you are riding a horse, which has speed of 9m/s (officially listed in the horse stats window in game), you need about 7 to 15 mins to cross 1 map.

Extremly simplified resource production system, no matter what resource you want to produce, it takes only 3 steps.

a. Plant the seed( different seed for different resource, eg: seeds for flowers, little pigs for pigs, no difference except the names and graphics), seeds for all resources can be bought from npc vendors.

b. Decide if you are willing to use a specific item ( water for plant, beans for ducks, etc) to reduce the time needed by 10%,then wait.

c. Pick up the item.

You need a big enough guild to play the game, and you need to stick with your guildies or friends all the time at higher levels ( I mean all the time, all) basically there is no 1v1, zergs swarming around at high level map  (you cant pvp in low level maps), maybe its because there are too many players and the maps are too small, but its impossible for you to live past 5 mins if you walk there alone, even at 6 am korea time on monday. Remember the game is just in the second week of its OB and not even released yet.

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I think the lack of places to build houses and insane mass zerg PvP is due to the high amount of players in limited map area thanks to it being beta.

This same thing happened in TERA  with Guild vs Guild when level cap was 32 and actually made the BETAs my fondest memory of the game, if you spoke Korean you should have tried to get into a big guild for a lot of fun.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    you make it sound horrible. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Really? One of the selling point is supposed to be the game world's huge dimension. There is even supposed to be sailing between isles and continents....

Anyway, the first "map" or continent is supposed to be more theme park than sandbox. The later ones are full sandbox, instead.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by XAleX360

Really? One of the selling point is supposed to be the game world's huge dimension. There is even supposed to be sailing between isles and continents....

Anyway, the first "map" or continent is supposed to be more theme park than sandbox. The later ones are full sandbox, instead.

3  continents in the world, 2 are released, the "original continent" which is the the third one, and about the same size with the first 2 will be released at 1.16. You can sail between contienets, but its actually semi instanced, you need to load once in the ocean.

My opinion only stands for the first 2 continent though.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

You sure? I hope so. The way the OP sounded the maps are just as bad as SWTOR's maps :(

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by vzerov

3  continents in the world, 2 are released, the "original continent" which is the the third one, and about the same size with the first 2 will be released at 1.16. You can sail between contienets, but its actually semi instanced, you need to load once in the ocean.

not instanced.. its called zones...

Originally posted by coretex666

Is it also related to the beta that all places where you can build the houses were taken?

I always wanted to make a house on some distant island. Will it be possible in full release? If it was like the OP described, I would probably pass.

a little guide to housing here..  Just read it myself.. now your not free to build anywhere you want there are certain areas on the noe island, then on the PVP island you have a bit mroe freedom if your clan owns that area or wahtever..

http://archeagesource.com/topic/1128-archeage-houses-and-castles-guide/

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Uhoh!   Does this mean the 'great sandbox hope' has feats of clay?

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Hm, sounds like the hype train might come to a grinding halt as more and more people actually get to try the game.
    Originally posted by Biskop
    Hm, sounds like the hype train might come to a grinding halt as more and more people actually get to try the game.

why do you say that?

I have not played it yet but i was alweays expecting a mix of a themepark game with elements of a sandbox game.. and from what i can see thats what they have got..

I never really got too hyped up about it really but I am interested and might even give the korean one a go..

I say that because a lot of people have had this image of AA as The Sandbox Game and The Saviour of MMO gaming, and since the game seems to be basically a linear themepark with limited housing, farming and ships on the side, they're bound to disappointed.

The hype have been growing steadily for years and that usually means a lot of bitterness and QQ when the game fails to meet some people's totally unrealistic expectations.
  • LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

Why? Because of this ones review? Go to real fansite forums and read other peoples reviews/impressions, there are hundreds of people who are enjoying this game more than any other recent MMO, but they preffer not to post here on this trolls nest forum.

But in general, you shouldn't be overhyped with AA, and that applies to all other MMOs the same way!

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    I say that because a lot of people have had this image of AA as The Sandbox Game and The Saviour of MMO gaming, and since the game seems to be basically a linear themepark with limited housing, farming and ships on the side, they're bound to disappointed.

The hype have been growing steadily for years and that usually means a lot of bitterness and QQ when the game fails to meet some people's totally unrealistic expectations.

Its a bad theme park for the first 2 contenent aka the early to mid level area, but we dont know what it will be with the third contenent yet, which contains main top level areas.

I have a few clan mates who played the beta..

We are a darkfall clan and have been for years.. they really enjoyed testing Archeage and a considering we usually only like hardcore PVP games thats saying somthing...

I probally wont end up jumping on one of the korean servers and wait for an english version to come out next year.. but from what  have read and the vids i have watched it seems to be what i was expecting..

• SygrisSygris Member Posts: 26

the world is entirely seamless, no loading screens in open world. there is currently a bug though, that causes those loading screens when using boats or ships.

Originally posted by Caldrin

not instanced.. its called zones...

they are not called zones. zones = instanced.

the correct term is "areas".

Is it also related to the beta that all places where you can build the houses were taken?

I always wanted to make a house on some distant island. Will it be possible in full release? If it was like the OP described, I would probably pass.

you can do that already in the open beta, but those islands have to be designated as housing areas, which plenty are. the release of archeage will add 9 new areas, which of course will include more housing areas.

judging a game by its beta phase is never a good idea, wait till it releases in korea, which is today!

Originally posted by Sygris

they are not called zones. zones = instanced.

the correct term is "areas".

No instances are a totally different thing.. Instances are where there are multiple version of the same area/zone..

Area/zones are what older MMORPGs used..  From what he described this is what it sounded like..

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Ok so there will be "more" housing areas. However, there will still be shortage of them? So that you have to hurry to claim your housing spot?

I hope not.

There is a shortage of housing areas on the East and West continents sure. Even there some housing areas were never found/developed as they aren't always on the main roads, and carrying the required building materials made them less conveinient..  

Once your Expeditionary Force (Clan/Guild) gets a land claim on the Northern continent Houses, Castles and Farms can all be placed within a certain radius of the claim. Lose the claim in a siege and attackers can ransack the housing there.

As to the housing, there is a 'family' system where upto, iirc, 7 characters can share a house/farm. So, make friends, buy into a time share, and all is golden.. heh heh

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    So are the first two continents really small and "restrictive" in the way described by the OP? I'd like to hear more opinions of those who tried the OBT.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• SygrisSygris Member Posts: 26
    So are the first two continents really small and "restrictive" in the way described by the OP? I'd like to hear more opinions of those who tried the OBT.

I'd suggest reading this thread.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/572/view/forums/thread/374602/page/1

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Name two people on this forum who called AA the savior MMO.   Please stop self-perpetuating your own ideas of hype.  The game is generating healthy interest in something new.  We haven't played it for ourselves (at least here in the west) so stop speculating.

It never was a sandbox but had sandbox elements.  Its people like you and comments like this that fan this idiotic hype / fail device.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Pros:

Good graphic

Free(kind of) pvp system

Huge ocean area which you can actually do something on it (sea battle)

Non instanced player housing, although there is little you can do with the house and its only limited in some area thus every houses or farms squeezs up against each other. Sadly there is no room in the entire server to build another house now, ya I mean it, my guildes and I just checked in the past 2 days, you need less than 2 hours to check all the residential area avalible for each side (east or west, you belong to one of them) in the entire world.

Just false.... there are tons of places to build homes. There are places marked near cities and certain towns and there are hidden area's you can build as well, they just have to be found. Also the third continent you can build just aobut anywhere. There are plenty of things you can do with your home, you just don't seem to know how to. Probably because the game is in Korean.

Cons:

Little content, only 1 small map for each level range, you follow the main road do some quests then move to the next map,and you are still on the same road, its like watching a highway movie. Most linear map in any MMO ive ever played.Top level players run around everywhere in like 5 days. There are 1/3 maps not released yet though. I believe the third map wont be so linear since it will be all top level zones.

Little content? Seriously did you even play this game? Yes there is a main story arc you can go through, but by no means is it forcing you to do that. There are plenty of area's  you can go to and level up for each level range. This is themepark mentality at its finest

About the map size: there are 3 continent, 2 are released (west and east), you will be mainly playing on one of them depends on which side you blong, each continent belongs to a faction. Around  8 to 10 maps on each continent , if you are riding a horse, which has speed of 9m/s (officially listed in the horse stats window in game), you need about 7 to 15 mins to cross 1 map.

You only play on one continent if you are themepark at the core and never get off the rails. 

Extremly simplified resource production system, no matter what resource you want to produce, it takes only 3 steps.

a. Plant the seed( different seed for different resource, eg: seeds for flowers, little pigs for pigs, no difference except the names and graphics), seeds for all resources can be bought from npc vendors.

b. Decide if you are willing to use a specific item ( water for plant, beans for ducks, etc) to reduce the time needed by 10%,then wait.

c. Pick up the item.

Still better than 90% of other MMO's out there with there resource/crafting systems. 

You need a big enough guild to play the game, and you need to stick with your guildies or friends all the time at higher levels ( I mean all the time, all) basically there is no 1v1, zergs swarming around at high level map  (you cant pvp in low level maps), maybe its because there are too many players and the maps are too small, but its impossible for you to live past 5 mins if you walk there alone, even at 6 am korea time on monday. Remember the game is just in the second week of its OB and not even released yet.

Also false. Me and a buddy explored every inch of the 3rd continent that was available and both faction continents as well extensively. You can PvP in lower area's its just restricted to Faction v Faction. It opens up later on in the higher area's where you can "outlaw" and kill. 

If your going to review a game, at least review it with factual information instead of spouting off at the mouth. I'm curious to know what level you even got too in the beta. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• SharessSharess Member UncommonPosts: 293

seriously excited about outlaw scenarios. 

Also props to Vunak23 to setting him straight!

Sharess Dragonstar - Midgard
    Grievance is recruiting.
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Name two people on this forum who called AA the savior MMO.   Please stop self-perpetuating your own ideas of hype.  The game is generating healthy interest in something new.  We haven't played it for ourselves (at least here in the west) so stop speculating.

It never was a sandbox but had sandbox elements.  Its people like you and comments like this that fan this idiotic hype / fail device.

Excuse me, but have you been living under a rock for the last two years? AA has had a serious hype train going for it ever since it began to garner interest in the west. Plenty of people have very high expectations for it and it has been covered in depth by several gaming sites, always from a very positive angle and highlighting its innovative aspects. It has been called a sandbox more times than I can remember and if I had had a cent every time someone said "I'm waiting for AA" I'd be a rich man by now.

I can't see how critical posts like mine, expressing concern about actual beta testers' statements about quest hubs and linear "grind to endgame" design - which is not what I expected from AA at all - fan any hype. If anything they counter it.

Many gamers are so fed up with the WoW formula and desperate for something new that they'll buy into anything that claims to be next gen and open-ended. I'm just concerned that AA will get a lot of hate when people realize it's not as innovative as many had hoped. It seems to be a good game in its own right and I'll play it for sure, but I can't see how anything good can come from people having unrealistic expecations.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    The only thing I regret about this review of yours is that other people may look upon it and actually heed your advice, listen to your words, or buy into this projection of utter garbage and false information. I am glad that intelligent people will gather several opinions of this game, many reviews, well written and supported with proper facts. Happy because those people will see this review for what it really is.

There is another upside to this drivel. Those simpletons who buy into this review will not be in Archeage when it comes out in the west. What you have done is cement there opinions and sent them on their merry way to whatever themepark takes their fancy.

Lastly, and what makes me the most happy, is that I will never have to bump into you in game, but unfortunately the downside is I will never have the extreme pleasure of corpse camping you into oblivion.

Anyone reading this, please use a better source to formulate your own opinion on this game. There is a very good thread on the main page of this forum section right now that I urge you to check out.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/374501/postAction/reply

Now the very reason I can say these things is because I have been in the CBT5 closed beta. I have experienced all parts of the game, and can tell you that the information given is false, and much more in line with what Vunak has posted.
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    kudos to Vunaks and Enerzeal. almost got fooled by this.