Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reporting on Makeb being the "gay planet"

13»

Comments

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    They should have never bothered with all of this, because now nothing is ever going to be good enough.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I really feel sorry for Bioware .
    Chamber of Chains
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Agnostic to this. It is segregating players though. Like a badge identifying them. [mod edit]

On the other side of the coin, gives them somewhere to go but hopefully avoid discrimination. Will be watching to see how this plays out but to quote SW: "I've got a bad feeling about this."

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I just have to lol at the "gay-planet", hahaha...

But it's good that they're finally adding it.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

they are just giving what the people want: back in SWG you could 'marry'  two characters, but not gay marriages, already back then people were crying that SOE was discriminating gay ppl in MMO's.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

You have to pay to be gay in this game. That's certainly a novel idea. 

By this miraculous compromise, they managed to piss off both sides of the conflict. 

REALITY CHECK

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by ezpz77

It is just making SWTOR and even Star Wars tacky.

If it was in the game from the start and all over, then it may have gotten away with it, but advertising it and making a big deal out of it, will make the game suffer.

They should just keep it in other mature games and save it for Mass Effect Online if they ever decide to do that.

Non-heterosexual relationships have been a part of Star Wars for awhile.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Goran_Beviin

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Ferus_Olin

It is not in the movies, and not advertised, as that is the first time I heard of it.

I guess it all depend on how it is being put in, especillay in a Star Wars MMO. It is not just kids who need to be protected it is the gay community who needs to be protected from the kids - Kids can be so cruel as they do not fully understand.

That situation stems directly from the lack of open communication as to how someone is different.  Education systems are on this and actively bringing topics up in class to explain why everyone is not the same.  These types of situations are becoming less and less frequent.

If video games openly allow differences, then there will be less hardships, in the end.  It becomes less of a mystery why someone is a different skin color, or why they wear certain clothes.  Or how some may prefer the same gender.

I suspect all the fears of SGRA come back to an analogy of a person integrating themselves with a different race and suddenly becoming that race.  They are still their same person, however.  If anything, they are more sensitive to those they integrated with.

Sensitivity is good.  It does not make someone they were not born to be.  The whole conversion theory is out as far as I'm concerned.

A game is supposed to put you though wild events that you may never see in real life.  Enjoy.  It's just a game.

It is not just a game in a MMO where you have other people playing who have the potential to ruin the atmosphere. Even without this, there has been times where stupid arguments rage on in the chat window, that spoil the game, and make me want to log out. I do not participate in the arguments, but they are hard to ignore in case it is a game message or a message from a friend you want to read.

The SGR will make arguments arise more easily, especially a game where kids will go, and I will be avoiding Makeb, not to avoid the gay content, but to avoid any possible abuse going on in the chat window. I have never heard of gay people abusing straight people for not being gay, but there is been plenty awful news of the opposite. I can do without witnessing that kind of drama in a game.

Originally posted by Thillian

You have to pay to be gay in this game. That's certainly a novel idea. 

By this miraculous compromise, they managed to piss off both sides of the conflict. 

not just that: it's probably inter-species as well.......imagine the discussion there!  :P

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

In most games I can be a male and play a female character... but that is not gay, it is roleplaying (reverse is true, female being male)

As the "opposite" sex i can romance a male/female... but that is not gay, it is roleplaying

So as a guy, I can play a female toon, romance and bed a male character...but that is not gay, it is roleplaying

In star wars we see hands/arms being the most popular appendage being removed in "hate and self defence" but that is ok. at least it isn't gay. I can slaughter millions of "bad guys" from my characters point of view, but that is ok, it's not gay. I can torture my friends/companions and perform random acts of violence in front ot children, but that is ok... it's not gay

then again, if I come across a fake gay romance scene in a game, I may just have to revoke my wife and kids, run to be gay in a second because I cannot help myself, I mean if there is a gay option I HAVE to choose it, don't I? I have the ability to not watch/do things that offend me. I also have the ability to let others do as they wish. If they want to choose the gay option, let them. From a SWTOR standpoint unless they are sporting a title stating they are gay, I'm not going to have a clue they have chosen the gay path.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

If it was in the game from the start and all over, then it may have gotten away with it, but advertising it and making a big deal out of it, will make the game suffer.

They should just keep it in other mature games and save it for Mass Effect Online if they ever decide to do that.

They had lesbians in the first KOTOR back in 2004 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paBb_Af0M6s and there are gay characters in the Star Wars extended universe, so it is a bit late to be claiming that homosexuality makes Star Wars tacky.

Also what is actually tacky is pretending that gay people don't exist. 

Originally posted by evilastro

Omg, you got a very good point here haha.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

It is not just a game in a MMO where you have other people playing who have the potential to ruin the atmosphere. Even without this, there has been times where stupid arguments rage on in the chat window, that spoil the game, and make me want to log out. I do not participate in the arguments, but they are hard to ignore in case it is a game message or a message from a friend you want to read.

And once again, welcome to the world of MMOs. Last time I was in STO there was an argument between trek nerds over the JJ Abrams movie. It went back and forth and got real nasty. You know what I did? I switched to guild chat. Simple. 

The SGR will make arguments arise more easily, especially a game where kids will go, and I will be avoiding Makeb, not to avoid the gay content, but to avoid any possible abuse going on in the chat window. I have never heard of gay people abusing straight people for not being gay, but there is been plenty awful news of the opposite. I can do without witnessing that kind of drama in a game.

Oh please. Like as if that conversation won't be happening on the fleet. If contraversial statements bother you then either turn off general chat or stay away from MMOs. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

We've had to clean up a few things in the thread, but this one has proceeded in a mostly civil manner.

As long as things remain on the topic of the game and the reaction and don't get into the real world arguments we have seen before, we'll leave it here.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    This game is such a failure when you take the hype into consideration, løl.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

My take on the whole thing is that change doesn't happen overnight. Bioware evidently added it where they could and with the resources they had. To allow MMos to expand and evolve, criticism of what they did or how they did it should be done constructively.

To the people interested in this content, I say embrace it and consider it one of the steps forward to broadening MMOs. Engage devs on the next step forward. Shouting this down and expressing outrage does little more than 1) make devs gunshy about further content like this and 2) create an equally reactionary response from the rest of the gamers who, historically, have not been the most LGBT-friendly demographic in the world.

From the article linked in the OP:

"First of all, I want to apologize that this is taking so long to get in the game," wrote Hickman in a blog post.  "I realise that we promised SGR (same gender relationships) to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realised at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play."

"As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of."

This indicates to me that the plan was neither to corral gay people on one planet nor to limit their gameplay choices to one planet. It indicates there's a commitment to this content. Some perspective is needed here. Plans drastically shifted and the gameplan changed for the team. They had to decide what was important and what could be dropped. Of all the features, fixes, backlog items and to dos on the list, SGR was important enough to make the cut.

To the people bothered by it, I would like to quote ObiClownobi:

"no one is forcing anything on anyone, just have faith in your ability to choose not to flirt with male NPCs."

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

They had lesbians in the first KOTOR back in 2004 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paBb_Af0M6s and there are gay characters in the Star Wars extended universe, so it is a bit late to be claiming that homosexuality makes Star Wars tacky.

That is not what I meant

What is tacky is that gay people only exist on Makeb, and is an afterthought

Also this is not what was originally planned for SGR, but due to their lower budgets and dev layoffs, now it is getting put in half heartedly. It was intended to be with companions, for not just Makeb, but now it is just going to be dialogue options with NPCs on Makeb.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

That is not what I meant

Also this is not what was originally planned for SGR, but due to their lower budgets and dev layoffs, now it is getting put in half heartedly.

Fair call, misinterpreted what you said.

I find it a bit sad that parents are outraged that their children will see a loving relationship between two same sex avatars, but they are fine with the same game containing torture and genocide.

Pretty much explains where we are at as a society and why we have so much violence in the world.  

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

My take on this is that when they added flirting to the game they should have just let every NPC in the game flirt with your character and vice versa regardless of sex.  Let the players decide who to have relationships with.

Given that they didn't do this and had promised to add SGR to the game, I understand why it was easier to do so with a new planet.  But it does look bad.  It's even worse that people that want SGR have to pay to access it.  They probably could have added some new NPCs to the old planet cantinas and such.

I think adding relationships to an MMO is a bad idea.  This is because there are possibly more people that have religious issues with same sex relationships than are looking to have them in a game.  So rather than discriminate, just don't offer them at all.  The same goes for player marriages in a game.  Let players conduct their own in game weddings but not using any built in tools from the developer.

• ReallymjReallymj Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Since it just a game I would like to see the addition of beastiality and necrophilia as well. I know theres some sheep fucker out there who feels like he's being left out. Surely you all can remember the classic disney tail of Beauty and the Beast.

~Im not what I am~

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

They should just keep it in other mature games 

the game already has relationships.  same sex relationships dont make it any more or less marute than it already is.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    We're supposed to believe this is the "Fire Island" of the Lucas Universe. :P
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

That is not what I meant

Also this is not what was originally planned for SGR, but due to their lower budgets and dev layoffs, now it is getting put in half heartedly. It was intended to be with companions, for not just Makeb, but now it is just going to be dialogue options with NPCs on Makeb.

Gay people dont only exist on Makeb, the only current gay companions happen to exist there.  Kira Carsen isnt gay.  Why should they make her gay after the fact?  Its just typical new expansion being in new zones and its ludicrous that anyone is making an issue of this.  But add some *extremely* irresponsible journalism by fox news and now its gotten out of hand.

This discussion has been closed.