Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next: sandbox mmo

Comments

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle

am i just lost, or is there no actual place holder for EQ Next on mmorpg.com game list yet?

i've checked through the game list, but didn't see it. i'm pretty tired and not throwing out the idea that i may have just missed it.

i see eq and eq2. is it just too early to make a sub section for it?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/369033/page/1

Questions been asked and theres the thread that expains why there isent one yet.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/160807/Game-missing-from-our-game-list.html

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

I'm 99% sure that EQNext will not have PVP at it's forefront, no way in hell is EQNext going to be built around PVP. Yes we will get an updated PVP system but make no mistake that EQNext will be a PVE game at it's core.

On top of that people should not take Smed use of the sandbox word as literal , EQNext will be a hybrid MMO IMO.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

I'm 99% sure that EQNext will not have PVP at it's forefront, no way in hell is EQNext going to be built around PVP. Yes we will get an updated PVP system but make no mistake that EQNext will be a PVE game at it's core.

On top of that people should not take Smed use of the sandbox word as literal , EQNext will be a hybrid MMO IMO.

The difference in WoW between PvE servers and PvP servers,nothing much,its just possible to attack other players in PvP servers.

Now lets try this on GW2 ,which is pure PvE game,it would make it even better PvP game than WoW,because theres no factions,game doesnt tell you anymore that theres this red guy,he might attack you and you should attack him or there is this friendly guy,he wont attack you because he cant.

Of course lots of new rules is needed but it would be much more exciting and interesting because there is no predefined fighting partners.

The more they have PvE content in EQN the better,its something that DF1 lacked quite a bit.

Let's internet

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Please keep the updated info coming Nadia!

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Nadia

latest info pertaining to EQNext

http://eq2wire.com/2012/12/14/eqnext-smedley-on-six-month-roadmaps-starting-over/

Yeah i read that the other day lol, if their reaction are anything to go by then we are in for a treat, until then it's Age Of Wushu for me.

• Seeker728Seeker728 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Nice update Nadia, thanks for the link.  Not to sour the thanks but I remain cautious towards SOE, trust has to be earned especially after its been abused for so many years, and the proof as always is in what is done, not what is said.

Even peace may be purchased at too high a price, and the only time you are completely safe is when you lie in the grave.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Seeker728
     I remain cautious towards SOE

I like SOE games but i agree with you

more related info

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/18/3777814/planetside-2-is-just-the-start-of-sony-online-entertainments-free

"Our opinion is that today's MMOs, and I'd include ours in that mix, are stagnant and stuck in this model that we frankly helped create with EverQuest, where we put new content in the game, and they go through it at an incredibly fast rate because of sites like Thottbot and that kind of stuff," Smedley said.

"We need to change the way we do this," Smedley said. "We're building a sandbox and giving players the tools to help shape the world that they're in. That's the direction we're going we're going in with EverQuest Next; trying to make a world that players create while being a living, breathing world around them.

It's not just a prop for them to walk around in, which is really what all of today's MMOs are. Their worlds are nothing more than a movie set."

• Seeker728Seeker728 Member UncommonPosts: 179

"Our opinion is that today's MMOs, and I'd include ours in that mix, are stagnant and stuck in this model that we frankly helped create with EverQuest, where we put new content in the game, and they go through it at an incredibly fast rate because of sites like Thottbot and that kind of stuff," Smedley said.

"We need to change the way we do this," Smedley said. "We're building a sandbox and giving players the tools to help shape the world that they're in. That's the direction we're going we're going in with EverQuest Next; trying to make a world that players create while being a living, breathing world around them.

It's not just a prop for them to walk around in, which is really what all of today's MMOs are. Their worlds are nothing more than a movie set."

That's a very interesting quote on his part, if he lives up to it I might very well have a new and long term addiction, especially as he summed up exactly what's going on with his last line.  Again thanks for the post, you're managing to chip at the jade force field surrounding my cynical mind image

Even peace may be purchased at too high a price, and the only time you are completely safe is when you lie in the grave.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

man, i cant wait until more info comes out for this game. :)

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Is anyone else creeped out by the fact that Smedley actually sounds like the most "in-touch" guy in the development world these days?  I'm thinking some aliens came and replaced him with a duplicate because that sure isn't the Smedley I remember from years past.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Lokero
    Is anyone else creeped out by the fact that Smedley actually sounds like the most "in-touch" guy in the development world these days?  I'm thinking some aliens came and replaced him with a duplicate because that sure isn't the Smedley I remember from years past.

Well, yeah lol, it is a bit worrying... but then I remember that what Semd says today has no relevance to the reality of tommorow...

That said, SOE I think have learnt a ton of lessons from the ongoing evolution of EQ2 throughout it's life and seem to want to create a game that builds on the best of that title while still offering a different enough play experience that the two (three!) games can co-exist so I am keeping an open mind for now.

I am still a little worried that this will go down the road of social media and farmville and whatever, rather then being the old school sandbox thing so many want.

We shall see.

• TechnohicTechnohic Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Lokero

I was a bit surprised by this.  Especially when he tried to poor concrete in the sandbox known as SWG  I only hold to hope that some people learn and can redeem themselves.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

I have to pause for a moment as ive just read a fair portion of this thread dating back quite some time.

The talk about sandbox and PS2 was really good, because...well...it seems he might not know what a sandbox really is for one...and also talk about PS2 having sandbox elements turned out to be 100% bogus.

Yeah they might get that base building resource continent in eventually to PS2...wont make the game any bit a sandbox because one of the attactions in the game would fit into a sandbox world/game.  

Thats the issue.  Sandbox is the world, not the game, not the elements inside the game.  Its the foundation.

It seems a lot of developers have picked up on sandbox as the next "innovative" and "groundbreaking" as for their buzzwords.  We will now see sandbox as the description for themepark rides, just because they are not scripted as usual...

Again, sandbox is the world and foundation of the game, not a part of the puzzle you can call sandbox.

Oh, also, if Ps2 is an indication.  Not only will the game be further simplified compared to its predecessor, with a focus based more in easy access action and less focus on thought and strategy....

Forgelight is going to do some aweful things to this game.  If im not mistaken it was used in EQ2, which had horrendous preformance issues due to being CPU dependant and single core use of the CPU...  PS2 has had aweful preformance, because its CPU choked, and doesnt utilize your GPU and all cores efficiantly.  Calling it right now, a terrible preforming game due to the Forgelight game engine.  If i were sony i would stop bragging about a game engine that every time its used produces a sub par game experience in iteself, which imo, is the complete opposite of what a good engine should do.

Ill keep a bit of interest in this.  Part of me knows the games going to be a themepark, with a skyrim style "i can influence stuff" gimmick and something for endgame that might fit into a sandbox game.  Its still going to be a themepark, but the same old is just going to be presented in a different manner, probably more in tune to what GW2 did as far as pulling the wool over the eyes style.

• QeynoseybdoogQeynoseybdoog Member Posts: 1

I had to laugh once again and hopefully for the last time.... nothing new sony, and back to EQEmu!.

PS: EQ was the last true MMORPG untill luclin. No other online game come even close to a true MMORPG.

If I had not bought VG, EQ2 and even WoW then there is something wrong with these franchies that only understand greed for profit$.

A wise man once said.. trust no one in ny material worlds for tis is only a game.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

I have to pause for a moment as ive just read a fair portion of this thread dating back quite some time.

The talk about sandbox and PS2 was really good, because...well...it seems he might not know what a sandbox really is for one...and also talk about PS2 having sandbox elements turned out to be 100% bogus.

Yeah they might get that base building resource continent in eventually to PS2...wont make the game any bit a sandbox because one of the attactions in the game would fit into a sandbox world/game.  

Thats the issue.  Sandbox is the world, not the game, not the elements inside the game.  Its the foundation.

It seems a lot of developers have picked up on sandbox as the next "innovative" and "groundbreaking" as for their buzzwords.  We will now see sandbox as the description for themepark rides, just because they are not scripted as usual...

Again, sandbox is the world and foundation of the game, not a part of the puzzle you can call sandbox.

Oh, also, if Ps2 is an indication.  Not only will the game be further simplified compared to its predecessor, with a focus based more in easy access action and less focus on thought and strategy....

Forgelight is going to do some aweful things to this game.  If im not mistaken it was used in EQ2, which had horrendous preformance issues due to being CPU dependant and single core use of the CPU...  PS2 has had aweful preformance, because its CPU choked, and doesnt utilize your GPU and all cores efficiantly.  Calling it right now, a terrible preforming game due to the Forgelight game engine.  If i were sony i would stop bragging about a game engine that every time its used produces a sub par game experience in iteself, which imo, is the complete opposite of what a good engine should do.

Ill keep a bit of interest in this.  Part of me knows the games going to be a themepark, with a skyrim style "i can influence stuff" gimmick and something for endgame that might fit into a sandbox game.  Its still going to be a themepark, but the same old is just going to be presented in a different manner, probably more in tune to what GW2 did as far as pulling the wool over the eyes style.

unfortunately we are in a time of The Best of the Worst. Everything you have said may turn out to be true, but using the example of Planetside 2, it is simpler and more actoin oriented versus thought but I am having fun playing it compared to the other games out at the moment. I agree that it is prudent to be wary, but not overly pessimistic.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/184805/MMO_devs_will_lose_the_fight_against_content_churn_says_SOEs_Smedley.php#.UQGgaPL2_6g

"Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year - and I don't mean a beta," says Smedley.

EQNext releasing in 2013 ?

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I will believe it when I see it.  All I know is that Rothgar and a few of the best devs were pulled from EQ2 to go work on this.  I know they had to retool 2 times.  I know the concept art we saw 2 years back at fanfair is invalid now.  I will believe statements from smedly when they start sending out beta invites.  Meanwhile Im still playing eq2,   I have hopes for eqnext but really it taken them the past 5 years and we literly have nothing to show for the effort. 

Originally posted by erictlewis

I have hopes for eqnext but really it taken them the past 5 years and we literly have nothing to show for the effort. 

its been 3 years I believe - EQ3 was first mentioned at 10th year anniversary in 2009

Blizzard Titan is in a similar boat, mentioning a new mmo in 2007

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2007/12/blizzard-rep-co/

- no news beyond playable inhouse

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Definitely watching EQ Next closely... it's sounding like a lot of what I've been saying/hoping for in an MMO for a very long time now.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I have high hopes, I think they learned from EQ1 and 2 what works and doesn't work, Hopefully will be something I can play for a decade like EQ1 is for me now  :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

SOE Live 2013 @ Planet Hollywood August 1-4

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/02/soe-live-scheduled-for-august-planet-hollywood/

I assume we will be seeing some version of EQ3 in late summer :)

Originally posted by Nadia

SOE Live 2013 @ Planet Hollywood August 1-4

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/02/soe-live-scheduled-for-august-planet-hollywood/

I assume we will be seeing some version of EQ3 in late summer :)

Well It is still in Las Vegas so I still will not be able to go.  I wish they would swap it up, one year east coast one year west coast.  I not been sind 2006 when they had it in atlanta. 

All I know is that I am glad they moved it from October, at least this year I might be able to go if I get good prices on tickets to fly the family. 

I am also glad they moved hotels, I knew several folks who had major issues with their reservations at Ballies. 

the cliffnotes of what we know about EQ3

- claimed to be worlds largest sandbox (whatever that means)

- will use the same game engine as Planetside 2

- likely free to play

- possibly cross platform

- will be a playable demo at next SOE fanfaire August 2013

past commentary about sandbox play

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/13/planetside-2-eq-next-and-soes-player-driven-future/

RPS: SOE’s Player Studio seems like an extension of that to me. Let players make their own new content. How far do you hope to expand that, though? Right now it’s just objects in games like EverQuest and eventually PlanetSide. Would you ever like to see players creating their own missions and gametypes, though?

John Smedley: Stay tuned. The answer is yes, wholeheartedly. We have plans for that that go out a long way, and a game that is going to dominate because of that kind of stuff.

It’s not just players making quests. Don’t think of it just as Dungeons & Dragons. What we’re actually building is the ability for players to put in systems. System-level stuff. We give them some rules, some basic simple rules, and they can make things out of whole cloth. They could build their own battlegrounds style of gameplay. That’s what we want. What we have is an amazing infrastructure and ability to let players do new and emerging things.

We want them to… Not make their own fun. We’re going to make our games amazingly fun. We want them to be able to make things we didn’t think of fun. That’s really what it is. I mentioned Hulkageddon, I love that in EVE. That’s just players putting bounties on something. It’s nothing. That’s all it is. But that’s as fun as anything in EVE. More fun if you ask me. It’s amazingly fun.

ZAM interview

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=30916

You’ll be able to destroy, massive, massive parts of this world, almost all of it. You can light the forest on fire; we have ambition with this thing. We want it to be something where the world you log into, might not be the world you log into in five days.

What you saw in WoW’s Cataclysm could take place because someone cast a spell that is powerful enough to do something major. We want it to be meaningful. And that’s what we’re building. It’s actually what we’ve built, because we’ve got this now. It just isn’t quite at the level where we’re OK [to reveal it to the public]. We have a story that we want to tell for the announcement of it, we want it that you’re seeing every aspect of the gameplay, we’re one aspect short of that until we’re ready to show, so we’re close now.”

EDIT:

ARRGH posted in wrong topic

I will be posting future news in the EQ Next forum

EQ Next General Discussion

Um so far all player studio has been was a way to design items, and have them approved by soe and then sold in the sc store.