Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard or EverQuest 2 ?

2»

Comments

• HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126

Vanguard is not  as expanded as EQ2 is. I cant speak for rainding though but there is more to do in EQ2, also that game is way older.

Vanguard runs alot better than EQ2 and that says it all. Vanguard had its probs with the performance but with my comp I can run Vangaurd in max but Eq2 only in mid settings(balanced). It has alot to do with EQ2 being cpu optimized and only single core optimized doh! Graphic cards matters more in Vanguard.

Vanguard leveling is dull you get to a point at level 16 when you realize that it's painfully slow, but on the other hand there are fewer levels.

As I know in EQ2 you solo mostly to high levels if you dont have partners. In Vanguard with the narrower level range it should be abit easier to find dungeon groups.

The combat in EQ2 aint exactly bad but WoW's combat system seems more fun sometimes. It really depends on class in both games some of the classes are very boring while others are interesting. Vangaurd's combat is more difficult and that means it's more oldschool with some challenges ahead.

The new crafting system in EQ2 is not very fun imo, it's kind of a mini game, where you push a couple of buttons as the bar progress. Fun at first but annoying sooner or later. Also extremely  much harvesting in EQ2 - you sometimes spend more time harvesting than actual crafting.

Worldwise EQ2's world is well done but some zones in the mid levels are bad like lavastorm and everfrost (imo). It seems like in these zones you have to fight too much and they are tightly packed.

Vangards world is/was huge. But animations in Vangaurd arent so good and sound effects from combat is ARGH!

Bottomline is EQ2 seems to be a far more polished andd better thought out world than Vangaurds. It's just so obvious to me when changing from EQ2 to Vanguard. 

It's not that Vanguard aint beautiful at places but the quest dialog and voiceovers are lackluster as is the ui and target hightlighting.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I am fond of both, but right now? Have to say EQ2.

It offers so much... and it's really up to you just how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

That's a funny play of words, Support and SOE don't belong in the same sentence.

experiences vary -  but ive always had solid SOE support for EQ2

the only issue I have w SOE support is its closed on weekends

generally speaking, EQ/EQ2/VG support is above average with peition stuff and account/password/charcter recovery, and terrible with billing support.  99.9% of people will never have to deal with billing support.

Theres is some outliers here and there but its deifnitely a better quality of support than, say, Blizzard and more on par with pre-Storm legion Trion

Originally posted by Hothlove

Worldwise EQ2's world is well done but some zones in the mid levels are bad like lavastorm and everfrost (imo). It seems like in these zones you have to fight too much and they are tightly packed.

Lavastorm and Everforst have both been revamped, and I think the new Lavastorm is fantastic because it has some of the most humorous quest dialog.  Its stereotypical- obviously dumb goblins think they are smart- but they give you sarcastic responses to say to them and their responses back are hilarious.

Everfrost's revamp still has pretty high mob density and overall not as good, but both zones are more manageable now.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Vanguard is a much more hardcore gaming experience.  In some ways, even more hardcore than the original Everquest.  Soloing is a much harder endeavor and much less rewarding than in EQ2.  Game population is pretty darn low for a game that really pushes grouping down your throat.

EQ2 is a much more casual friendly game with a lot more people to socialize with and while end game is raid or die, there is a lot to do before you get there and a lot can be done solo and there are plenty of people around for the group stuff too.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I would go with Vanguard, Eq2 is not a bad game but the super easy combat bothers me, Vanguard at least has some challenge to it, vanguard does lag a bit and yes it is a bit creaky but overall more fun than eq2
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    I would go with Vanguard, Eq2 is not a bad game but the super easy combat bothers me, Vanguard at least has some challenge to it, vanguard does lag a bit and yes it is a bit creaky but overall more fun than eq2

EQ2 is easy to do ok but hard to truly master, if you are into the raid game anyway.

VGs group mechanics though are better and the normal group content tends to be more difficult.

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Vanguard is a much more hardcore gaming experience.  In some ways, even more hardcore than the original Everquest.  Soloing is a much harder endeavor and much less rewarding than in EQ2.  Game population is pretty darn low for a game that really pushes grouping down your throat.

EQ2 is a much more casual friendly game with a lot more people to socialize with and while end game is raid or die, there is a lot to do before you get there and a lot can be done solo and there are plenty of people around for the group stuff too.

+1

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Vanguard = the last true MMO

There you go

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by Mirslp
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Vanguard as long as the community is healthy now, there's better combat, better crafting, diplomacy and you can build a house, a guild hall, a ship and Vanguard have much better exploration.

Are combat really that bad in EQ2?

And i know Vanguard does not have any PvP at all (Played on the FFA PvP server back then) but does EQ have it?

In my opinion, VG combat is much better than EQ2s. VG is more tactical, EQ2 is more zerg button pushing.

In VG it matters when, if, and where you use your powers in a fight, EQ2 is push all your buttons as fast as you can.

I'm sure there are folks that would argue with that - but it is how I see it.

You can do ok with your class mashing buttons but you won't survive long in a progression raid guild without learning the ins and outs of what those buttons do.  I did find Vangaurd a more technically interesting game especially in lower levels but if you want to raid EQ2 has the population and content.  If you just want to solo or small group vanguard has some appeal.

Why not try both?  They are both F2P now although as I said EQ2 is more top heavy with end game stuff than Vangaurd.  Thy are both good games in their own right.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

"Aint that the truth".

I logged in a few weeks ago and died three times in a row. while fighting mobs that seem tougher than they used to be and then aggoring some small thing I didn't notice in the area.

needless to say I wasn't feeling on my game so logged out to recuperate. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

As the title says... what game do you think is worth my time?

Pro´s and con´s are welcome.

I played Vanguard at launch and want to return to that kind of game. I am sick of the standard themeparks the devs are throwing at us but the same time dissapointed in the Sandbox games out there. Their level of graphics seriously ruin my immersion.

I never tried the EQ series so let me know guys!

EQ2 is far more polished, but a lot more casual these days. You will pretty much solo to max level unless you go to a role play server.

Vanguard is pretty rough, but much more akin to Everquest 1. Grouping is quite common and the best way to level up in Vanguard.

So if you want a hardcore game, go with Vanguard. If you want a casual game with the main challenge being end game raiding, go with EQ2.

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    If you are not into raiding, don't be afraid of EQ2. The games OFFER you great raiding in many options, but you don't have to do it to be pleased. When I hit 90 for a year ago, I never participated in any raid. I was exploring, housing, rp-ing, chatting, questing, crafting and so on, instead of raiding. I had a great time and raiding never felt like something I had to do. So, if you want to be casual or hardcore, EQ2 is still the game for you! 
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    If you can stomach linear quest hub gameplay eq2. For a more open ended experience vg. Both are very flawed and woukd say eq1 is still better than both.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    its down to 2 things really..Vanguard although it has solo content is mainly group focussed .from the harvesting,crafting etc..eq2 is more of the sorry to say WOW type game..just a lot better than WOW..loads of classes,races.Vanguard has loads of races,classes as well..if it goes on difficulty..i would say vanguard is much harder and slower to progress even  though there are only 55 lvls crafting,adventuring,diplomacy compared with about 90 lvls in EQ2..i have an idea for you..get a station pass for about $15 a month you get to play both and you can always cancel one later..both games are excellent..although eq2 has a way bigger community.
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Sovrath

"Aint that the truth".

I logged in a few weeks ago and died three times in a row. while fighting mobs that seem tougher than they used to be and then aggoring some small thing I didn't notice in the area.

needless to say I wasn't feeling on my game so logged out to recuperate. image

As someone who has been playing VG again now for a couple of weeks, I think I figured it. In so many other games, imo EQ2 included, 'winning' a battle is determined by pushing your buttons as fast and as efficiently as possible. As I re-learn to play VG, I realize the key to 'winning' is positioning, which mob you pull, how you pull, whether you need to cc something on the pull or on engagement....so the imperative decisions for 'winning' in VG are vastly different from other mmo's; EQ one notable exception.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

I played Vanguard at launch and want to return to that kind of game. I am sick of the standard themeparks the devs are throwing at us but the same time dissapointed in the Sandbox games out there. 

Honestly man, right now seems to be a transition period of MMOs, especially MMORPGs.  They seem to..slowly..be going back to their roots of rpg gaming.

Out of those two, I would recommend EQ2.  It has a great community, enormous world, great questing and group content.

Away from those two, I would recommend you try out Lord of the Rings Online.  It's free to download and play, great game for rpg gamers, really good for role players.  It has deep dev made and player made lore, especially on the rp servers.  The questing is great, not too different from most other mmo's but the dialogue is actually worth reading for the most part.  Graphics are pretty good for its age, but I would guess if you are looking for a game that holds more soul than most other mmos, this one's got soul like a blues brother my friend, oh yeah, you can even play the blues if you want in game ;).

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    if you're willing to pay a sub just get the station pass and try both out the f2p versions of both suck.