Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Blizzard: Guilty until proven innocent.

13»

Comments

  • AvarixAvarix Chicago, ILPosts: 376Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by grounnn
    Originally posted by Avarix
    Originally posted by grounnn
    Originally posted by MurlockDance
    Originally posted by grounnn

    (snip)

     I came home after work on a friday afternoon and was logging into World of Warcraft when I was prompted by a pop-up message telling me my account was locked down. So, I went digging through my e-mails and came across a Blizzard e-mail stating that I had broken the TOS. They had pointed out that I had "illegally" changed characters from one server to the next on my accounts. Apparently from what they stated. The service they offered was against their rules. Now mind you I had fixed the issue and validated all my account information so I could get the account up and running that night for raiding (by the way, when they lock down your account, you lose that months subscription. Remember that for the rest of this post). After Friday nights raid. I tried logging back on saturday to do progression and came across the same issue again. It turns out they wanted more information (SSN, Identification, Birth Certificate, etc). Even after I had given them my valid CC(credit card) to validate that I indeed was the person in control of the account. So, I made a photocopy of my I.D. and sent it to Blizzard. Later that night my account was unlocked and I was able to play again.

    (snip)

    Underlined : What on earth?! I never, ever heard of this happening in a video game, ever! I have a hard time believing that. It is not like you put your SSN in your account details. How do they even know who you are based on your SSN from the information you give them when you set up your account? Also, not all of the players on USA are American citizens and have one. I call shenanigans on that.

    Plus, how can you be in violation if you use THEIR offered services? This whole thing does not make sense or you didn't explain it properly.

    It's exactly why I no longer play Blizzard games anymore, it made no sense to me either. They wanted identification and SSN falls under that catigory for them. The reason I was blocked was for using their character transfers and server changes.

    Are you sure you were actually in contact with Blizzard and not a third party? I also have NEVER heard of a game company wanting someone's SSN. In fact most of that information is outright refused by companies if you try to give it for liability issues. Something isn't right there. Sounds like a phishing scam. Hope you didn't call the number that was given in the e-mail.

    No, it was just some other "Blizzard" corporation that was locking my account. What kind of question is this? No I don't call phone numbers through e-mails. I used Blizzards main site to obtain their phone number which is 1-800-592-5499. It was indeed from their company. No phisher could lock down my account.

    I apologize. I didn't mean to upset you. It's simply ludicrous to hand a game company your Social Security Number AND Birth Certificate. I didn't even like giving those to get my driver's license, let alone to play World of Warcraft. I just don't find it plausible that they actually asked and accepted those things from you. It's baffling to me.

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Avarix
    Originally posted by grounnn
    Originally posted by Avarix
    Originally posted by grounnn
    Originally posted by MurlockDance
    Originally posted by grounnn

    (snip)

     I came home after work on a friday afternoon and was logging into World of Warcraft when I was prompted by a pop-up message telling me my account was locked down. So, I went digging through my e-mails and came across a Blizzard e-mail stating that I had broken the TOS. They had pointed out that I had "illegally" changed characters from one server to the next on my accounts. Apparently from what they stated. The service they offered was against their rules. Now mind you I had fixed the issue and validated all my account information so I could get the account up and running that night for raiding (by the way, when they lock down your account, you lose that months subscription. Remember that for the rest of this post). After Friday nights raid. I tried logging back on saturday to do progression and came across the same issue again. It turns out they wanted more information (SSN, Identification, Birth Certificate, etc). Even after I had given them my valid CC(credit card) to validate that I indeed was the person in control of the account. So, I made a photocopy of my I.D. and sent it to Blizzard. Later that night my account was unlocked and I was able to play again.

    (snip)

    Underlined : What on earth?! I never, ever heard of this happening in a video game, ever! I have a hard time believing that. It is not like you put your SSN in your account details. How do they even know who you are based on your SSN from the information you give them when you set up your account? Also, not all of the players on USA are American citizens and have one. I call shenanigans on that.

    Plus, how can you be in violation if you use THEIR offered services? This whole thing does not make sense or you didn't explain it properly.

    It's exactly why I no longer play Blizzard games anymore, it made no sense to me either. They wanted identification and SSN falls under that catigory for them. The reason I was blocked was for using their character transfers and server changes.

    Are you sure you were actually in contact with Blizzard and not a third party? I also have NEVER heard of a game company wanting someone's SSN. In fact most of that information is outright refused by companies if you try to give it for liability issues. Something isn't right there. Sounds like a phishing scam. Hope you didn't call the number that was given in the e-mail.

    No, it was just some other "Blizzard" corporation that was locking my account. What kind of question is this? No I don't call phone numbers through e-mails. I used Blizzards main site to obtain their phone number which is 1-800-592-5499. It was indeed from their company. No phisher could lock down my account.

    I apologize. I didn't mean to upset you. It's simply ludicrous to hand a game company your Social Security Number AND Birth Certificate. I didn't even like giving those to get my driver's license, let alone to play World of Warcraft. I just don't find it plausible that they actually asked and accepted those things from you. It's baffling to me.

    You didn't upset me, and you're right there's no reason a company should be asking for so much idenfitication for a video game. Which is why I found it appauling. I did the photocopy of my CC and ID after that I went off on them, because they wanted more identification from me.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member
    Yup.. standard procedure for Blizzard. If your account gets hacked and you call them, they give you a few hours to get it straight and then start asking for all kinds of weird IDs.. over the phone... I don't know if that part ever ends because I never sent what they asked for the first time. Maybe it's a "soft" form of perma-ban? It's ironic that they pretend to be strict about security when mpst players know that their biggest profits come from gold farmers.

    Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Privacy Preferred, NCPosts: 1,059Member
    Dude, just buy a copy of Torchlight 2 and forget about it. :)
  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Dude, just buy a copy of Torchlight 2 and forget about it. :)

    Better yet, Path of Exile will be coming out soon and it's better than both Torchlight and Diablo. The best part about it, is the fact that it's 100% free (with cashshop).

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,211Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by grounnn
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

    I am sorry to be the jerk here but...

     

    Have you not heard of Blizzard Authenticator?

     

    It's free if you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad and free for all Android users.

     

    OR you can buy for 9 bucks the physical authenticator.

     

    Surely with all that gaming history you have you would have been smart enough to protect your account?i

    Hackers have already beat the authenticator, nice try. 

     For Diablo? No. It happened long ago a very few times when they first came out for WoW. It's not worth the trouble to hack it.   It's much easier to compromise accounts without them.

    Shenanigans. There's no way in hell Blizzard asked for anyone's  social security number.

     

    "Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

  • PsychowPsychow SF Giants Territory, CAPosts: 1,784Member
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    From what I hear blizzard is shutting down WoW in a year and a half because of all the sueing thats been going on, plus its an old game and blizzard has been guilty and lost every court.

     

    Oh yeah, I hear they are shutting down the internet too. Cell phones will be next to be shut down.

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    From what I hear blizzard is shutting down WoW in a year and a half because of all the sueing thats been going on, plus its an old game and blizzard has been guilty and lost every court.

     

    Oh yeah, I hear they are shutting down the internet too. Cell phones will be next to be shut down.

    Seriously, even if they were being sued, a single month will make them more money than those cases were costing them.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member

    Originally posted by zymurgeist


    Shenanigans. There's no way in hell Blizzard asked for anyone's  social security number.  
     
    Why would you call us liars? I personally spoke on the phone with them under the same circumstances. Keep in mind, after the hacks, these accounts might have had some extremely illegal stuff happen. The whole reason I found out I was hacked was because my RL brother called me on the phone and asked why I emptied out the guild bank. Like... for the whole guild. He was asking what I was going to do with the stuff and when when I'd be able to return it... when my account had been inactive for 2 months... and my account had an authenticator on it on an android phone which was password protected and rendered dead by the phone company hours after it was lost.

     

    This is the exact stuff that is getting Blizzard sued right now. Why is it that I can have $7000 worth of Steam games on my system and not get hacked, but my WOW account gets hacked like nothing. Yeah, no. Purposely lax security sells authenticators and sells accounts.

    Back to the SSN asking. They did it. For real. You don't have to believe me, but you should consider these two facts: #1 I have no reason to lie about it. #2 It's widely verifiable, including one verification by another person in this thread who had the same exact thing happen to him.

    Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,211Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

    Originally posted by zymurgeist


    Shenanigans. There's no way in hell Blizzard asked for anyone's  social security number.  
     
    Why would you call us liars? I personally spoke on the phone with them under the same circumstances. Keep in mind, after the hacks, these accounts might have had some extremely illegal stuff happen. The whole reason I found out I was hacked was because my RL brother called me on the phone and asked why I emptied out the guild bank. Like... for the whole guild. He was asking what I was going to do with the stuff and when when I'd be able to return it... when my account had been inactive for 2 months... and my account had an authenticator on it on an android phone which was password protected and rendered dead by the phone company hours after it was lost.

     

    This is the exact stuff that is getting Blizzard sued right now. Why is it that I can have $7000 worth of Steam games on my system and not get hacked, but my WOW account gets hacked like nothing. Yeah, no. Purposely lax security sells authenticators and sells accounts.

    Back to the SSN asking. They did it. For real. You don't have to believe me, but you should consider these two facts: #1 I have no reason to lie about it. #2 It's widely verifiable, including one verification by another person in this thread who had the same exact thing happen to him.

     Because it's useless as identification  and you're not required to give it.  I still don't believe you. You must be mistaken.

    "Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

  • wowfan1996wowfan1996 NonePosts: 719Member
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

    $7000 worth of Steam games

    So when/where is the anonymous gamers next meeting?

     

    MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

  • Gabriel-KnightGabriel-Knight FunesPosts: 48Member Uncommon

    These "hacked account" stories always makes me chuckle, because they want to make you believe that some fella in a basement used his super powers with computers to get inside yours and steal your info.

    People, every time you get "hacked", it's your own fault. You have a computer filled with viruses or spyware, you play from a public computer with a keylogger, or you clicked in one of those phising emails that constantly fills our email inbox.

    Learning to protect yourself in the Internet it's your own responsability. Sometimes, i think that before owning a computer, people should get a licence, like driving, because they just don't know how to be responsable with it.

     

    To the OP:  had a couple of friends with stolen accounts in WoW, they got everything back in a matter of hours, with zero problems. I guess the experiences about this differs from player to player. Keep trying, i consider the Blizzard support very good.

  • MikkelBMikkelB SteenwijkPosts: 240Member
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

    Originally posted by zymurgeist


    Shenanigans. There's no way in hell Blizzard asked for anyone's  social security number.  
     
    Why would you call us liars? I personally spoke on the phone with them under the same circumstances. Keep in mind, after the hacks, these accounts might have had some extremely illegal stuff happen. The whole reason I found out I was hacked was because my RL brother called me on the phone and asked why I emptied out the guild bank. Like... for the whole guild. He was asking what I was going to do with the stuff and when when I'd be able to return it... when my account had been inactive for 2 months... and my account had an authenticator on it on an android phone which was password protected and rendered dead by the phone company hours after it was lost.

     

    This is the exact stuff that is getting Blizzard sued right now. Why is it that I can have $7000 worth of Steam games on my system and not get hacked, but my WOW account gets hacked like nothing. Yeah, no. Purposely lax security sells authenticators and sells accounts.

    Back to the SSN asking. They did it. For real. You don't have to believe me, but you should consider these two facts: #1 I have no reason to lie about it. #2 It's widely verifiable, including one verification by another person in this thread who had the same exact thing happen to him.

    I've difficulty believing anything on the internet and forumposts are no exception to this. In particular if people talk about situations I've experienced myself. I had difficulty with removing my creditcard details from the WoW accountmanagement page and had to contact the Customer Services for assistance. I only had to give my DoB, accountname, my real name and the last few digits of my creditcard that I wanted to remove. Nothing more and nothing less. All information was already present in the acountmanagement page, nothing extra was needed for identification. So yes, I'm also sceptic about the SSN bit, but whatever, my experience with the Customer Services of Blizzard has been good and that's all that matters to me.

    About that Steam bit ($ 7000 seems bloody absurd to me,but whatever), it's not as lucrative as you might think. You can't trade or sell the games in that Steamlibrary like you can do with WoW/Diablo 3 gold and items. If it was possible to gift games from your current library to other people, than it would be a different story, but from what I know, that isn't possible. So at most they would've a Steamlibrary with lots of games, that they can quickly lose again, when you take steps to get your account back.

    Besides, I can download all the games from Steam and play them illegally, what isn't really possible with either WoW or DIablo 3.

  • botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

    Originally posted by zymurgeist


    Shenanigans. There's no way in hell Blizzard asked for anyone's  social security number.  
     
    Why would you call us liars? I personally spoke on the phone with them under the same circumstances. Keep in mind, after the hacks, these accounts might have had some extremely illegal stuff happen. The whole reason I found out I was hacked was because my RL brother called me on the phone and asked why I emptied out the guild bank. Like... for the whole guild. He was asking what I was going to do with the stuff and when when I'd be able to return it... when my account had been inactive for 2 months... and my account had an authenticator on it on an android phone which was password protected and rendered dead by the phone company hours after it was lost.

     

    This is the exact stuff that is getting Blizzard sued right now. Why is it that I can have $7000 worth of Steam games on my system and not get hacked, but my WOW account gets hacked like nothing. Yeah, no. Purposely lax security sells authenticators and sells accounts.

    Back to the SSN asking. They did it. For real. You don't have to believe me, but you should consider these two facts: #1 I have no reason to lie about it. #2 It's widely verifiable, including one verification by another person in this thread who had the same exact thing happen to him.

     Because it's useless as identification  and you're not required to give it.  I still don't believe you. You must be mistaken.

    Blizzard has stated THEY WOULD NEVER ASK for SSN, etc. that was a phishing email pure and simple. If you think that was Blizzard asking for that, you are mistaken.

     

    We are calling you a liar because you are blaming Blizard when you should be blaming yourself. People like to distort the trtuth to blame the big, bad companies. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS AND INTERNET SECURITY - no one will do it for you.

    image

    "In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,165Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

    I get an email this morning: "Greetings,

    After a thorough investigation of your recently reported compromise, it has come to our attention that your ticket was submitted in an attempt to defraud the Game Master Department in order to duplicate gold or other assets. As a result, the Diablo III license attached to this Battle.net Account has been permanently closed.

    this is the fishy part: apprently they have 'proof' that you did have access to your 'hacked account' or can proof that it was you and not someone else having access to your account and that you abused the petition system to get a new account for free + reimbursement of your lost gold -so you have twice the gold for free-.

    You don't publish proof that this is true or not other then saying it wasn't you, Blizzard won't publish it here so it's really a one-way story and impossible to say if it's all true or not.

    This action was taken in keeping with our Diablo III End User License Agreement (http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/d3_eula.html) and will neither be amended nor removed.

     

     

     

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • sadeyxsadeyx leicesterPosts: 1,553Member

    It doesnt matter what so ever. Your experience with Blizzard is no reflection on the game.

    Its like declaring that Spain is a shitty country because you got arrested there once.   It has absoloutly zero to do with anything other than a single experience of which there are a thousands everyday.

    a story about poor customer service is just yet another story,  its not even a cool story because there is nothing different or unusual about yours except that you start out by discrediting yourself.

  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,165Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by sadeyx

    It doesnt matter what so ever. Your experience with Blizzard is no reflection on the game.

    Its like declaring that Spain is a shitty country because you got arrested there once.   It has absoloutly zero to do with anything other than a single experience of which there are a thousands everyday.

    a story about poor customer service is just yet another story,  its not even a cool story because there is nothing different or unusual about yours except that you start out by discrediting yourself.

    I wonder how players always complain about getitng their accounts hacked?

    I never shared my accounts, I never fell for phishing email attempts, don't use those authenticator thingies nor do I click on links ingame, and played virtually every 'major' western mmo titles there have been.

     

    Guess I am just lucky.

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,896Member Uncommon

    It's a war between Blizzard and the gold sellers.  Occasionally an innocent bystander takes a bullet.

     

    What to does Blizzard say after they shot John Q Public through the head by mistake?  Not much.  It's easier to not admit the mistake than resolve it.

     


    Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
13»
Sign In or Register to comment.