Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isn't EQ:Next in the game list?

2»

Comments

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

Planetside 2 first shown behind closed doors GDC 2012, released November 2012.

EQNext has no behind closed doors demo yet and they tenitively say they "might" have one by next SoElive event which will be in the fall of 2013. If there is the same 7 or 8 month lead time from demo to release date as PS2 then that still puts it in the second half of 2014. The math is in my favor on this one.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Novusod

EQNext has no behind closed doors demo yet and they tenitively say they "might" have one by next SoElive event which will be in the fall of 2013. If there is the same 7 or 8 month lead time from demo to release date as PS2 then that still puts it in the second half of 2014. The math is in my favor on this one.

GDC is two months away. We know two things. 1. The final component SOE is waiting for to be completed before they show off the game was almost ready almost a month a go. 2. It will be playable at the next SOE Live event.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

GDC is two months away. We know two things. 1. The final component SOE is waiting for to be completed before they show off the game was almost ready almost a month a go. 2. It will be playable at the next SOE Live event.

so they 'might' and heavy emphasis on the might btw, have an early alpha ready by then, tbh, that just confirms Novusod's argument imo, it does look increasingly like a 2014+ release, if it was going to be 2013 we'd at least be in some kind of beta stage by now, which there isnt. Even though SOE does have something of a track record for releasing early, buggy, incomplete games, and trying to patch things as they go, that kind of thing just isnt acceptable any more, and i would hope that SOE will have learned from the experiences of other more recent releases of what happens when they do that. Also, PS2 which is a stripped down version of PS1 btw and lacks a lot of the previous games features/funcitonality. Even drawing on the resources from PS2 the only useable thing would be the engine itself, as while PS2 is perhaps a credible MMOFPS, it lacks all the features that make up a MMORPG, which EQ;NEXT would have to have, yet another action combat game with limited crafting etc. then there is the simple issue of PS2 not having a character creation tool, something that would be totally unnacceptable for an MMORPG, i mean, come on, even Blizzards WoW character creation tool as old as it is, and, imo, totally inadequate for a modern MMO, is far more comprehensive than the one in PS2, which is simply male or female choices, and the only difference between the 2 is.. probably not noticeable.. so i'll go with Novusod, 2014 would be optimistic at best.image

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Show proof of point #1. I watched every pannel at SoE live in October and they had nothing. The message from SoE was don't ask us about EQNext because they scraped everything and will talk about their plans "next year." Starting over in October is the complete opposite of "The final component."

Point #2 is also false. SoE said they might have a playable demo by next SoE Live. They did not make any promises on that if you understand SoEspeak. Also understand that demos are not the same thing as the full game. There is tonn of work that is needed to be done to turn a demo into a full MMO.

Seems like you are just believing what you want to hear and hoping it comes true. Won't happen though.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Phry

so they 'might' and heavy emphasis on the might btw, have an early alpha ready by then, tbh, that just confirms Novusod's argument imo, it does look increasingly like a 2014+ release, if it was going to be 2013 we'd at least be in some kind of beta stage by now, which there isnt. Even though SOE does have something of a track record for releasing early, buggy, incomplete games, and trying to patch things as they go, that kind of thing just isnt acceptable any more, and i would hope that SOE will have learned from the experiences of other more recent releases of what happens when they do that. Also, PS2 which is a stripped down version of PS1 btw and lacks a lot of the previous games features/funcitonality. Even drawing on the resources from PS2 the only useable thing would be the engine itself, as while PS2 is perhaps a credible MMOFPS, it lacks all the features that make up a MMORPG, which EQ;NEXT would have to have, yet another action combat game with limited crafting etc. then there is the simple issue of PS2 not having a character creation tool, something that would be totally unnacceptable for an MMORPG, i mean, come on, even Blizzards WoW character creation tool as old as it is, and, imo, totally inadequate for a modern MMO, is far more comprehensive than the one in PS2, which is simply male or female choices, and the only difference between the 2 is.. probably not noticeable.. so i'll go with Novusod, 2014 would be optimistic at best.image

First I would ask you to use paragraphs.

Planetside 2 beta didn't start until August of 2012. As I said before, no one saw any gameplay until GDC of 2012. Planetside 2 is also a whole new game and to expect a new game to have the same content as a game that has been out for years is ridiculous and Planetside 2 is going in a completely different direction than Planetside 1 took. The first Everquest Next and Planetside Next information came out around the same time back in 2009.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Phry

First I would ask you to use paragraphs.

Planetside 2 beta didn't start until August of 2012. As I said before, no one saw any gameplay until GDC of 2012. Planetside 2 is also a whole new game and to expect a new game to have the same content as a game that has been out for years is ridiculous and Planetside 2 is going in a completely different direction than Planetside 1 took. The first Everquest Next and Planetside Next information came out around the same time back in 2009.

and planetside 2 released too early, it has stability issues - that are being addressed, in the last 3 weeks i've seen the game running gradually longer and longer times before it crashes to desktop, at first it was probably every 15 to 20 mins, but now it usually runs for an hour before it crashes, each patch does seem to address this issue, to a degree. But in a lot of ways Planetside 2 is a much simpler game than EQ;NEXT will have to be, it will have to have a character creation tool, more than a few races too after all, Everquest had a few flavours just of Elves after all, it will need crafting, lots of crafting, then theres dungeons etc etc. the list you can probably imagine, but these are things that are not needed in a FPS game, and still Planetside 2 released too early.. 

So, if we're lucky, we can expect to see some early alpha gameplay at the next GDC, maybe. And possibly a game release late 2014, or maybe early 2015, which despite sounding like a long way off, really isnt, its actually not that long, given the amount of work needed to be done.image

• Acapella75Acapella75 Member UncommonPosts: 15

Smedly didnt say "might" be playable and 2013 Fan Faire.  He said it "will" be playable at 2013 Fan faire.  I would assume a 2014 launch with closed beta starting in nov-dec of 2013.

Its not like they started over.  They are just redesigning the core of the game.  They have the engine, art, assests, animations probably done by now.  Thats the hardest part of making a MMO.

• g4m3sh4rkg4m3sh4rk Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

... the game is confirmed and definitely coming out...

@_@ say what now? Last I heard SOE announced they had no plans for a new EQ game?!

• KazlinKazlin Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by Acapella75

Smedly didnt say "might" be playable and 2013 Fan Faire.  He said it "will" be playable at 2013 Fan faire.  I would assume a 2014 launch with closed beta starting in nov-dec of 2013.

Its not like they started over.  They are just redesigning the core of the game.  They have the engine, art, assests, animations probably done by now.  Thats the hardest part of making a MMO.

I watch every Famfair religiously and never herd them say they scraped anything the game has been in development since 2008 since the 10th aniversery of EQ video was released and if anyone wants to be technical it was planned in 2004. IF SoE was smart and i know they dont wanna show any cards they will do iin house beta testing for all beta phases and dont let the public touch the game that way nobody can get acess to it .

This will help in 2 ways all the other games comeing out cant steal stuff from them  and it dosnt let the ppl just try the game in open beta so thy dont buy it if they dont like the way it plays .

I just hope and pray it go's back to the roots of the old EQ and not the updated version where its all doable solo except the raids you cant raid the new zones solo  do forced grouping epic quests and alot of endgame content and ill be happy for another 10 years.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    EQNext will be out in 2014 & cost $16.99/month... even little kids, will want to collect pop bottles to play...

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by Phelcher
    EQNext will be out in 2014 & cost $16.99/month... even little kids, will want to collect pop bottles to play...

lol I know you are kidding, but I'm pretty sure they've said EQNext will be F2P, no?

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

lol I know you are kidding, but I'm pretty sure they've said EQNext will be F2P, no?

That'd be far less affordable then :(

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

That'd be far less affordable then :(

Hahah agreed. I seriously miss subs.. I'd gladly pay 20$ a month for EQNext if it had the awesomeness that EQ did at it's time...

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

For those of you that are talking about how they miss the vanilla days of EQ2 i thought I might let you know that a very small group of us have decided to roll on a server that we do not have toons on - start from scratch .  We are level locked at 12 until we have viewed all the content and then will re-lock at intervals so to re-live the experience again.  I got very excited crafting my own 8 slot bags and we are hitting up all the heritage quests at level.   This guy started it all: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/lore-seekers-guild-forming.2569/

You cant change what they have done with the game, I am most sad about the cash shop. But I feel EQ2 is still the best game on the market - i just chose to play it my way.  But its is good that we are all voicing our opinions here because I do not want them to mess up Titan and EQNext.

EQ2 is a WoW clone.. we talking about the "You are in our World now.." concet of eq n eqnext.

Premium subs will work, there are peole who will pay a measly bar tab ($200) for one year of gameplay. Premium subscription weeds out mingers, little kiddies and allows for a community of invested roleplayers.

WOW was great, but it shoulve been $4.99/month because it was aimed at children. Internet was $o.50/per hour back in the day.. i had a paper route. Today kids want premium for free... they get served free garbage.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    EQ2 is a WoW clone.. we talking about the "You are in our World now.." concet of eq n eqnext.

Premium subs will work, there are peole who will pay a measly bar tab ($200) for one year of gameplay. Premium subsxription leeps out mingers, little kiddies and allows for a community of onvested roleplayers.

WOW was great, but it shoulve been $4.99/month because it was aimed at children. Internet was $o.50/per hour back in the day.. i had a paper route. Today kids want premium for free... they get served free garbage.

No.  Eq2 is a dumbed down EQ1, for which wow copied and then later copied DAOC for pvp. Call it a wow clone all you want though, it effectivly is a wow clone, despite they roughly came out the same time, and its really hard to copy something where your on par in development...also...really was hard to tell at the time that wow was going to be such a huge hit, making a wow clone at the same time wow was making wow, would have had to required inside knowledge on what they were doing each step of the way, also it would have had to bank 100% that (at the time) a no name mmorpg development company was going to release the largest success in the gaming industry.

Well leave it at what it really is.  WOW took the best of both worlds from two diffrent games (not sure if the DAOC stuff was in at wow launch) and struck it rich by making it appeal to idiots and uber casuals.

All wow did is take what EQ did successfully, and made it uber easy to succeed at.

Back on topic

EQ3 was origionally going to be...EQ3....which now would be called a wow clone, despite they actually started it.  Once it became apparent that few would stay past a few months of launch in a game with quest hub spam...They decided to scrap the game.  Facebook rumors were a joke imo, some on the team wanted to focus on that shit and were denied...not even sure if thats true though.

So what MR smedly has decided was something sandboxy, with an endgame that isnt scripted.  This is good.  However, when this information was made public, he said that PS2 would do the same...which it didnt.  He, and many in the industry, as well as a majority of gamers...dont know what the hell a sandbox is.

A sandbox is not a specific game system, like player housing, or growing shit and complicated crafting (like in AA), its not the endgame.  A sandbox IS the foundation on which the game is created.  Drop people in a world (key there is a world not a map) give them tools, a bit of lore, an outline for goals...and let them do the rest.

A sandbox is not a themepark ride, such as making endgame seiges, resource warfare, and crafting.

My guess is that EQ next will be a themepark, with rides, only some rides will be more like what you would find in a sandbox, such as Arche Age is doing.  Lets be honest here...you cant have Everquest without the quests.

IMO, if they did it right, i dont see why a great themepark made in the EQ image couldnt be successful...i know the whole concept has been beaten to death with WOW and its numerous offshoots. 

I think the bottom line is that SOE doesnt want another smashing success for a month, followed by F2P out of desperation like most of the recent themeparks.  I think you could easily do it, if endgame was done right, since that seems to make or break the game.  I think that is what they are going to work on, figuring out a better endgame other than tierd loot hunting via raids and endless endgame pvp instances.

This far all the fail themeparks have done a great job on the leveling up part that everyone hates so much and races past, only to die on poorly executed endgame mechanics that cant keep players happy for long.

If it does turn out im wrong, and EQ next is a full fledged sandbox, ill be beyond happy and a player.

Originally posted by Crunchy222

If it does turn out im wrong, and EQ next is a full fledged sandbox, ill be beyond happy and a player.

Smedley said “It will be the largest sandbox style MMO ever designed"

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/20/sony-online-entertainment-everquest-next-sandbox-mmo/

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Hey guys,

Official answer: we have a criteria for the game list. We have no site to point to, no logo or assets to use, and no real info to write a decent overview with. We COULD give it a forum (and maybe we will), but until it's actually announced with all the pomp and circumstance we won't list it. 

The same thing for Titan.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Zarriya

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/20/sony-online-entertainment-everquest-next-sandbox-mmo/

I'm betting on a nice mixed sandpark.  Can't call it EverQuest without a little bit of themepark in there somewhere.

Crunchy.

WoW clone is a generic term meaning "commercialized crap for the masses"...

Nobody cares about eq2 and its fairytale adventure.. it was nothing like eq. Shouldve never even been called eqnething.

Like ur story though.. to bad both WoW n EQ2 are irrelevent.

-Nariusseldon

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Zarriya

I'm betting on a nice mixed sandpark.  Can't call it EverQuest without a little bit of themepark in there somewhere.

I would agree.