Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this game will be an EPIC fail

Comments

• CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104

That's the cool think about games with sandbox elements. They take the concept of "play to the end game" they beat it with a stick, drag it behind a car, go have a smoke, beat it some more, then wander off to go have some fun.

It's like when folks log in to play EVE and ask "what's the end game" people tell them, "you're playing it, now undock and get yourself killed."

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by Atrocitus

First off, I am NOT, repeat, NOT in alpha/beta/whatever...Got it? In NO WAY HAVE I PLAYED THIS GAME YET......

I've seen plenty of videos of the game, listened to the 'devs' speak on the game, and have read plenty about it. Heres why this game will not only tank, but tank bigtime.....

Regardless of how long this 'team' of devs have been working on the game, content will be shallow. Its as simple as work force= gameplay. And they have an extremely small dev team. And we all know how fast gamers fly by content these days. There simply will not be enough to do

Customer service after launch will be relatively non existant. Again, with hardly any funding, how in the hell can they get a sizeable team to deal with the problems in and out of the game? And c'mon people, we all know how the first few weeks of a mmorpg go. People will be crying about tickets not being answered, bugs everywhere, blah blah blah........

The game engine is horribad. Any sizable pvp will end in massive vaporlock. Once again, the almost non existant team won't be able to handle this.

Have you seen the AI in the videos? The mobs just stand there. Period. Its comical.....

I could go on and on, but don't feel like typing any longer. Point of the matter is don't get your hopes up for this game. All signs points to sub par mmo. Once again, I have NOT participated in the game...

I hope you are wrong, because this industry really needs to go back were it started with a good descent well made, indepth sandbox MMO. Adult MMO'ers like myself are tired of this generation of game developers who have no love for gaming itself, but just money. They keep making WoW Formula themed MMORPG"s for a quick buck. It is true developers always have had made games for money, but back in the day developers made these MMORPG's in the spirit of gaming as well, because they loved to game, and it showed in their hard work they put into those MMO's.

I believe an artists best work will always show, and lately for the last 5 years hardly any of that has really shown in the industry for along time now. This is the very reason why all the MMO's are going free to play. People don't want to pay monthly for something they have already been playing for the previous 8 years in other games. That has to change for the better of the industry, because if it doesn't I think we will see a lot more companys going bankrupt.

• MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96

as trash stated.

Most the games any more are just grind then end game there is nothing.

What happened to the good ol days of MMO, ah wait I know. World of Warcraft got lucky pulled in many people and then everyone attempted to copy there success. What works for one does not work for all.

It is going to have to be a small group like this. To be able to pull the heads out from within the sand.

I wish you all the best of luck in your boldness to venture into the uncharted waters. I also belive for any MMO game to have end game there has to be a bit if not alot of sandbox.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Have they settled on a pricing model yet? Sub? F2P? etc.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I can give you one reason why it could be an epic fail because it is a low budget indie MMO. We know how it ends up most of the time for these games.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Originally posted by Scottgun
    Have they settled on a pricing model yet? Sub? F2P? etc.

F2P with a primarily cosmetic cash shop. There will also be B2P options (membership) that give the players the cash shop feature unlocks (examples: nation creation token, mayor license, extra inventory, etc). Exact components haven't been decided yet, but we're not interested in making the game p2w.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

[mod edit]

The repop. staff posting here is one of the things that has my interest peaked for the game. I am super excited to play TR, and any information that they come here to post is a win/win for me.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by KaylettaJade
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by MarlonB

If you refer to the engine being crap as being used in SWTOR, they used a heavily modified 7 year old version where the HE devs have kept telling them not to do it.

Hate to break it to you, but the current version of Hero isn't all that great either.

So you're saying you've extensively worked with the current HE version for the entire 3 weeks its been out, right?

Perhaps you can tell use great game that actually uses HE? HE site has youtube video from last year that shows games made using it, I can't regonize any of them except SWTOR. I think one part is from Repopulation. I found it funny that many people say HEngine is good yet there isn't any proof other than SWTOR which is heavily modified version. 

• CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by Sasami
    Originally posted by KaylettaJade
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by MarlonB

If you refer to the engine being crap as being used in SWTOR, they used a heavily modified 7 year old version where the HE devs have kept telling them not to do it.

Hate to break it to you, but the current version of Hero isn't all that great either.

So you're saying you've extensively worked with the current HE version for the entire 3 weeks its been out, right?

Perhaps you can tell use great game that actually uses HE? HE site has youtube video from last year that shows games made using it, I can't regonize any of them except SWTOR. I think one part is from Repopulation. I found it funny that many people say HEngine is good yet there isn't any proof other than SWTOR which is heavily modified version. 

Then again by the same logic one could say there isn't proof that Hero is a bad engine either. Until a game lanches using Hero, there's nothing solid one way or the other. At least from a player perspective.  

Personally I'm pulling for The Repopulation and for the Hero Engine. The team at Hero looks like they're working really hard on putting together a development platform that can speed up the time it takes to create an MMO and reduce the over head cost. For independent developers that's a win/win. 

Until another engine, designed specifically for MMO's and offering the same kind of benefits steps up, I really don't see why using Hero is a problem.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Some of the comments here are funny, the ones saying what a smaller Dev team can do, compared to a AAA Dev team, I hate to break it to you, but  I have worked for AAA companys, I have worked for Indies, and now I freelance, contractor for all companies, which is common now a days, also getting stuff done is cheaper than before, price for license's for software cheaper etc.

Today it's more common to have a team of one or a few , than a huge team, alot more common, I also love the comments about Hero Engine, I really love to see some of these people work, the ones that say Hero is bad, so you use it?? You have used it?? I doubt it....

I like to know when some of these people have worked with small teams and large teams, bigger is not always better).

When are children ever gonna do some research, I love the ones that would go to Game Production school and think , its so easy to make a game, and the first time they open up Untiy, UDK , or Cryengine, they freak out and say I have to work!!! Omg, and quit school...

Some many people think they know it all because they play games, funny stuff. Posts like this make me laugh , thanks for the laugh.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

You can't epic fail unless you have an epic budget and an epic design team and then completely fail to reach your goals.  I can name a handful of epic fails, but since they're epic... most everyone already knows them!

If you want to see an example of what could happen to this game, if it's not managed correctly, then check out a game called perpetuum.  It started out great and I played it for about six months myself, but due to a variety of issues that have now spanned over two years, the game population is extinct.  Perpetuum is now a textbook example of how to mismanage an indie game.

Perpetuum's major lesson to indie developers?  Respond to your players, but do NOT get buddy buddy with them and then start designing the game around their every whim and desire.  Say "Thank you for your concern dear player" and then follow your roadmap that you already have laid out for game development.  The only thing that should EVER change a developers roadmap is a player wide revolution against a certain game aspect (Monoclegate in EVE) and not just one or two loud players who are only really interested in their own personal gain.

In my opinion, this game will probably start out small and grow steadily through word of mouth.

• kelzynekelzyne Member Posts: 1
    i think this game will be tites in yo face cause i get to pwn you trolls all over again! i cant help but look at yall like dinner, DC for the win! recognize!
  • VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138

Why are those kind of blind pointless rant allowed ?

It's nothing but a troll. And if it's not, the OP is really not worth reading.

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Some of the comments here are funny, the ones saying what a smaller Dev team can do, compared to a AAA Dev team, I hate to break it to you, but  I have worked for AAA companys, I have worked for Indies, and now I freelance, contractor for all companies, which is common now a days, also getting stuff done is cheaper than before, price for license's for software cheaper etc.

Today it's more common to have a team of one or a few , than a huge team, alot more common, I also love the comments about Hero Engine, I really love to see some of these people work, the ones that say Hero is bad, so you use it?? You have used it?? I doubt it....

I like to know when some of these people have worked with small teams and large teams, bigger is not always better).

When are children ever gonna do some research, I love the ones that would go to Game Production school and think , its so easy to make a game, and the first time they open up Untiy, UDK , or Cryengine, they freak out and say I have to work!!! Omg, and quit school...

Some many people think they know it all because they play games, funny stuff. Posts like this make me laugh , thanks for the laugh.

Thanks for your irrelevant generalisations. This will certainly help us with speculating about this game's success. I completely agree with you, the people working in the gaming industry are the experts if it comes to predict what game will be a success.

LOL.

While it is always possible that a small game developing team can create a solid and successful MMO, I still agree with the OP that it is better to not get your hopes up. And this is simply based on experience with MMO launches. Why would I have to learn to program to speculate about this? That doesn't even make sense.

There just have been too many small MMO developer teams with great ideas on paper, but that weren't able to properly execute them. So far I haven't seen a reason to expect otherwise with this upcoming game. But hey, maybe they will surprise me.

• SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80

The Repopulation has been steadily declining in popularity on this site for weeks now. Its currently almost in last place and at this rate will soon disappear alltogether.

People are starting to realize this game, while having good ideas, simply can't bring them or their visions to fruition....

Too bad.....

All Will Be Well.....

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by SaintWalker44

The Repopulation has been steadily declining in popularity on this site for weeks now. Its currently almost in last place and at this rate will soon disappear alltogether.

People are starting to realize this game, while having good ideas, simply can't bring them or their visions to fruition....

Too bad.....

Obvious troll attempt, but for fun...

If by last you mean 6th (out of hundreds), then I guess. It has fallen a few ranking spots from its peak, which is to be expected. The points average is similar to what it has been over the past 8 months, with it fluctuating anywhere from a 7.9 to an 8.45. It's currently an 8.3. The titles which moved ahead of it are Elder Scrolls Online, Defiance, Camelot Unchained and Wildstar. Two titles in their final push before release, one newly announced and promising title, and one juggernaut that is currently undergoing a large press campaign. It's hard not to get hyped up about some of those games, I'm looking forward to them myself. In general as games start generating hype, their fans often vote down other games on the list, and it's easier to drop a score than it is to raise it (over 4x faster). Fluctuation is to be expected.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The truth though is that the game is near feature complete at this point. The only major systems that are not yet in-game is the vehicle upgrade system and sieges, neither of which is a major hurdle with similar implementations already existing in other parts of the game. So to say that the development team can't bring their visions to fruition is a bit silly.  Those visions are on display and playable at PAX right now. They aren't ideas, they are functional and on display.

Now there are certainly question marks on the game. Will the systems (which break from the norm) be enjoyable to players? Will the game be plagued with bugs? Will there be enough content? Will the content be high enough quality? Etc. Those are legitimate questions to ask of any game, and especially an indie game given recent history. Pointing to a slight points drop on a site's ranking system and then trying to skew your wording to create a sky is falling scenario is not. Fortunately for everyone, the game will be opening into a larger beta in a few months and many of those questions will be answered, one way or the other.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    You know how to spot a dishonest person? The first thing out of their mouths is a qualification on how they are innocent, worthy, or the like. The OP wasted no time in assuring us he was legit. An honest man or woman has no need for games, what they say is the truth and they would have no need to qualify it. 
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    It certainly could fail.  Plenty of MMO's with great concepts already have.  But the features do look promising on paper at least.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

First off, I am NOT, repeat, NOT in alpha/beta/whatever...Got it? In NO WAY HAVE I PLAYED THIS GAME YET......

I've seen plenty of videos of the game, listened to the 'devs' speak on the game, and have read plenty about it. Heres why this game will not only tank, but tank bigtime.....

Regardless of how long this 'team' of devs have been working on the game, content will be shallow. Its as simple as work force= gameplay. And they have an extremely small dev team. And we all know how fast gamers fly by content these days. There simply will not be enough to do

Customer service after launch will be relatively non existant. Again, with hardly any funding, how in the hell can they get a sizeable team to deal with the problems in and out of the game? And c'mon people, we all know how the first few weeks of a mmorpg go. People will be crying about tickets not being answered, bugs everywhere, blah blah blah........

The game engine is horribad. Any sizable pvp will end in massive vaporlock. Once again, the almost non existant team won't be able to handle this.

Have you seen the AI in the videos? The mobs just stand there. Period. Its comical.....

I could go on and on, but don't feel like typing any longer. Point of the matter is don't get your hopes up for this game. All signs points to sub par mmo. Once again, I have NOT participated in the game...

Well, for not having any hands on time, thanks for the gloom and doom.

This is supposed to be a "sandbox" game, correct? Now, all these people that piss and moan about "themepark" games always say that the PLAYERS in a sandbox make the content.

Oh and yeah, can I borrow your crystal ball?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• LoregabaLoregaba Member UncommonPosts: 19

I totally disagree with the OP.  Since the prediction game has been settled, I'll make mine. The Repopulation will be a massive success.

All signs point at it. Read the signs! :)

First and foremost, since SWG, a whole lot of players were craving for a game that could continue the work and push it further with new technology. Many beleived SWTOR was the successor, but it is way too different. It simply couldn't attract the same players without a sandbox aspect. So, the need was already there, increased by the SWTOR deception. Repop is simply answering to that call.

Second, from what I've seen and read so far, coming from the devs and the team at work, boy... I'm impressed. They have an awesome project at hand with an awesome team, with the good attitude. I can see they have a vision for this game. It is very different from all the mmo coming out that are all the same, turning boring after a couple weeks.

Third, the fact that they aren't a major game producer is a very high advantage. They are free to follow their creativity. From what I see on their forum, they are listening to the players. In fact, their openness and listening surprises me. Backed with a strong vision of their goal preventing the project to be over influenced to end up being a disparate work. They are setting up a very dynamic game with a lot of diversity.

Fourth, a sandbox mmorpg is exactly what is lacking at this moment. Especially if it doesn't revolve around the same old leveling system. There is a big hole in the industry right now and Repop is going to take this slot.... :) Well done guys. The timing is good.

This bunch of brilliant people simply have to follow the already well written plan and the thing is done. Everything is there already. So, again my prediction. A massive success.

Oh and btw, how do I vote for the hype level if there is any mean to do so?

Steven

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

The problem with your theory, and that's all it is, is based on an assumption that devs have to create content continuously. If  this was a thempark game I would agree with you. Themeparks have to have conent updates all the time in order to keep people playing. However, this is not a themepark it is a sandbox and those type of games rely more on an abundance of tools at the players fingertips so that they can generate their own content.  From what I've seen this game is going to offer players the ability to create their own cities as well as an economy that is completely player run. Their crafting system is very complex and diverse and the gear in game is crafter dependent so this will be a crafter and social paradise. 

Long story short, if you're one of those players that needs content spoon fed to him like a crack addict, then  you're better off playing any of the dozens of MMOs currenlty out there. How good the gameplay is we just don't know at this point. Long as  the bugs aren't too annoying or numerous and don't impeded my ability to play I'm fine. 

And honestly enough with the fail garbage. Hoping for a game to fail just because it isn't your cup of tea is sad. We need more successes so that genre grows and becomes more diverse. Too many failures and you'll be looking for another hobby because no one will want to invest in a genre that has failure written all over it. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

The game features sound very promising on paper.

How those features get implemented is what I am most interested in seeing during Alpha/Beta/whenever.

Over the last few years I've played my share of indy sandboxes, in all cases the primary major cause of all problems turned out to be preferential Dev treatment of "closed beta buddies" who had unheard of access to the Dev team. In the last game I played, Perpetuum Online, it was common knowledge that some players had Devs on Skype and frequently influenced game development with their feedback as it suited their corporations in-game.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by cirsyndic

The game features sound very promising on paper.

How those features get implemented is what I am most interested in seeing during Alpha/Beta/whenever.

Over the last few years I've played my share of indy sandboxes, in all cases the primary major cause of all problems turned out to be preferential Dev treatment of "closed beta buddies" who had unheard of access to the Dev team. In the last game I played, Perpetuum Online, it was common knowledge that some players had Devs on Skype and frequently influenced game development with their feedback as it suited their corporations in-game.

Yep, this is exactly the reason I quit playing Perp.  The devs and the leaders of some of the biggest outfits were so far up each others rear ends you couldn't tell where the player ended and the devs began.

I sincerely hope the dev team here learns to keep a modicum of professional decorum with their players and keep the "buddy buddy" salesman type players at arms length like the rest of us.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I have faith in this game and this team. Will there be some growing pains along the way? I expect there will be. Lets just hope they have seen what preferential treatment can do to a game and its community. Its not good. Just treat everyone the same. We are all customers. Being buddy buddy with players is a bad idea. It has been proven time and time again.

I personally don't want you guys to be my friend. I want you to act like this is a business and not a good old boys club. Don't think just because you own this that you can shit on some of us and treat others as if they are the golden children. If you follow that one simple rule the community you build will be able to deal with the growing pains. There are a lot of things that we can over look.

I gave you guys money because I believe in this game and your passion for making this game. I do not expect perfection. I just want professionalism, communication and mutual respect. Time will tell.

• SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by SaintWalker44

Too bad.....

Prophetic Powers.....

Yup, I have 'em.................

All Will Be Well.....

This discussion has been closed.