Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Humor lost on younger audience?

shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351
I've seen this before in movies too, where although the "target" may be children or the movie/game is meant to be child friendly, humor is added that is aimed more at adults/older audience.  An example I ran into today in Pirates101 was a location named La Mancha with a character named Donkey Hotay.  I doubt there will be many children that get the reference to the famous novel/musical.

Comments

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by shirlnt
    I've seen this before in movies too, where although the "target" may be children or the movie/game is meant to be child friendly, humor is added that is aimed more at adults/older audience.  An example I ran into today in Pirates101 was a location named La Mancha with a character named Donkey Hotay.  I doubt there will be many children that get the reference to the famous novel/musical.

Heh. I would agree! How many young kids know what the Frogfather is. Or Duck Holiday :-D. The humor is much more inclined for the adults. My favorite companion I travel with is "Billy the Kid" who is my Billygoat Gunslinger!

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351
    More references in Pirate101...a scene very similar to Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade....and now a quest about the Rats of Nim.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    More references in Pirate101...a scene very similar to Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade....and now a quest about the Rats of Nim.

The humor is completely BRILLIANT! Love it!

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Heh. I would agree! How many young kids know what the Frogfather is. Or Duck Holiday :-D. The humor is much more inclined for the adults. My favorite companion I travel with is "Billy the Kid" who is my Billygoat Gunslinger!

I'm noticing several known western characters in the Pollo area.  My favorite of the western so far is the John Wayne character (named after a role he played).

• Beoelf21Beoelf21 Member Posts: 91
    I agree! i downloaded this game for my son because the turn based was perfect for him to learn strategy. hes 3 years old so he kinda liked the pirates aspect but as im watching him play im laughing my ass off at the puns and characters. great game.