Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Future Events

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet is very cagey about events right up until the time they happen. In 2012, the events took different paths at times and we wonder in today's Guild Wars 2 column, how 2013's events will play out. See what we think before adding your ideas in the comments.

The Lost Shores event was a bit different.  It lasted for a much shorter amount of time, and the events happened only once.  If you missed the Karka unleashing their first assault on Lion’s Arch, you missed it.  You can’t fast travel to an area and activate it like in the holiday events.  This method is neat, as it can make some of the events just huge, massive dynamic events, which is exactly what they ended up being, but people have lives and jobs.  If you missed it, you’re out of luck. 

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Future Events.

If the boss battles involve a creature of this size, perhaps having more than 5 players the way to go.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

I give em props for all the content they have delivered after their Launch-  thats why this is my favorite mmo to this date!-i myself am surprised.-since i never played GW1- but this is the kind of mmo id expect  in 2013!

:-)

after reading your article its great they are focusing on rewards and dungeons-since i mean those random dragons that drop in zones are huge events as it is. holiday events could take a back seat imo.

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

Mostly looking forward to the culling related news, once anet deals with the said issue I'm ready to say that we have the greatest game made in many years on our hands.

(Culling = people not being rendered due to network limits)

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    @david your column is worth it for the cartoons alone. Keep it up!
  • dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    loking for raid and epic boss fight other than laggy event wiah u do once and dont wanan doit again

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    An event that makes the game more like GW1. That would get me playing again, and excited.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I'm not looking for new content unless it's new metas we dont need more 1 time events and we don't need more of Nov 16th.

We need less we need what we were promised prior to launch more spread out meta DE's with great rewards and the rewards need to be the focus, it's not an epic fight if you don't end the fight with looting epic loots. sorry. If the devs there are truly gamers they'd know that.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081
    I love the one off event for Lost Shores because I loved that something was altering the game world, forever. Even now, if you go to the shores you will see npc construction workers building things, and tourists flooding in, which makes it obvious they have big plans for the new region and it will be exciting because so many of us took part in that, we cleared the roads/paths, built the bridges, built the camps etc, and that's the type of stuff MMO's need to stay interesting in the long term. So I definitely hope to see more one time events of that nature, and maybe even on a grander scale. I do want everyone to be able to participate, though so I'm not opposed to them going on for a couple weeks, rather than a couple of days.
  • AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611
    ...Am i the only one thats wants more permanent features?  Thanks for the 1 added pvp map Anet -.-

Uhh... what?

• skorner64skorner64 Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by itgrowls

I'm not looking for new content unless it's new metas we dont need more 1 time events and we don't need more of Nov 16th.

We need less we need what we were promised prior to launch more spread out meta DE's with great rewards and the rewards need to be the focus, it's not an epic fight if you don't end the fight with looting epic loots. sorry. If the devs there are truly gamers they'd know that.

The Dev's are pvpers, Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 has a heavy emphasis on pvp and if you give epic loot, you have to make sure it doesn't unbalance pvp or that getting this new loot is REQUIRED to pvp. To do this they need to figure out a way to make loot valuable and worthwhile without unbalancing pvp, which has shown to be a very hard task I hope they can figure it out.

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108
    give use more skills to swap in the bar like in gw1 an not another tier of gear to grind, and i might be coming back to check
  • DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

More events like Lost Shores where you can show up and do something different with everyone and get a neat reward by the end of it for participating

Less crappy holiday events where you can get some items normally but only by either being exceedingly rich gold-wise or having tons of rl money to blow will you be able to get any of the really good stuff

Sadly Valentine's Day and St Patricks Day are coming up back to back so it's going to be a while...

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I enjoyed the one time events, but we don't need anymore.  I can't help but think it has detracted time and resources from the teams ability to expand the feature set.  Of course, they will say there are different teams and bla bla bla.  Bullshit.  I love the game, been playing it since launch.  But the evidence to the contrary is they have not fleshed out the feature set at all.  The game growth wise seems to be stagnant.

We need content that will be added and stay in the game.  We need expanded features to give players more things to do and draw new players.  We need to hear, WE ARE MAKING AN EXPANSION to give people somthing to look forward too, and start talking about things they are going to add.  And for goodness sake, whoever is in charge of the cash shop...fire them.  They have been on extended vacation and we have had nothing new added to it for awhile now.  It's like pulling teeth just to get a new armor set or clothing. Why do they not add any new armor sets?  Maybe because they are making holiday clothing we can't even use reasonably outside of town. 

I don't give two shits about Valentines day and getting a little cupid mini if I jump up and down on some environmental puzzle. Give us something more substantial and permanent.  And I say this with all do respect, as a player who loves the game and wants it to succeed.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

I guess you still don't understand what GW2 is all about... People who need "l33t g34r" should just go back to WoW or any other gear threadmill game because GW2 won't ever be like that. Sorry but if you need the epic gear to be able to beat someone in PvP or be able to do the next dungeons EZPZ, then you're in the wrong game. It's all about skill and teamwork.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

You were NOT promised great rewards. They stated that the game will not be GEAR focused and they will not fall into the tier based gear trap that so many other games fall into. And no, not all gamers game the way you do, those that play only for loot, do not play for "fun" and end up making the game a JOB.

No thank you. Go play WoW and use gear score so you can wag your epeen around, leave GW2 as is so it actually takes some skill, instead of 1000s of hours to get gear to make up for lack of it.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• hiccups1980hiccups1980 Member Posts: 1

I loved the event in Gendarran Fields with the kids who are lookin for a secret treasure and than get by a giant monster. This little events is what i like.

Or something like:

I'm wandering around in Lions Arch and suddenly i hear a guy "Hey you! Psst... over here. I think you are the right one. I have this special plan..." Than he explains to me that he is on a journey and is lookin for a real old friend of mine. I follow him to another map. Than we find this friend and it turns out that this friend tries to contact the grawl, because only them know how to fight this boss who is protecting a big old treausure.

I like events that are very mysterical and long and NPCs are talking a lot. You feel that these people really care what to do and how to get to the finish of thei quest.

• brettspielbrettspiel Member Posts: 2
    Rollerbeatle Racing!
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by ichihaifu

Mostly looking forward to the culling related news, once anet deals with the said issue I'm ready to say that we have the greatest game made in many years on our hands.

(Culling = people not being rendered due to network limits)

This. It is my main problem with GW2 right now. I didn't enjoy the holiday events because of this. Not being able to see players untill I almost stood on top of them was very dissappointing. Walking 20m away and they disappeared again :/

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

Nice picture, but one could spare nearly all of the text to read the question in the last line. So not that well written if you ask me.

One time events suck, because many people can't play it. Nothing to add.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Leucent
    An event that makes the game more like GW1. That would get me playing again, and excited.

Hope not, gw2 is fortunately absolutely nothing like gw1 except for name. So far I'm ver happy with, great game with so many features .... and I'm so far very busy with playing my alts and I'm still far with all from endgame.