Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Made it with 4 hours to go

GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390

As of the last time I refreshed the page, the second Kickstarter is now at $1,006,447.

Woot!

Comments

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Nice
  • EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    I was expecting to wake up today and see the goal unmet, but I am truly surprised. Thank the gaming gods, in two years time I will be quite happy indeed.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Terminusexterminatus
    I was expecting to wake up today and see the goal unmet, but I am truly surprised. Thank the gaming gods, in two years time I will be quite happy indeed.

I woke up this morning and the goal WAS unmet, but that was 7 hours ago :P

• PittyHPittyH Member Posts: 116

I'm just amazed people would pledge for a game that's due out in 3 years time, lol 2016.

A lot can happen in 3 years.

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390
    I think it just shows how much pent-up demand there is for a game like this.
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    not really to point at goblin works, but all these projects, that get these surpricing good last minute pledges, but to get 900k, I d pledge 100k as well...atleast if I had the fund for it, or able to borrow them from somewhere...this one didnt have a too big gab to reach its goal, guess could be them HC fans who thought no way I pay more!  : P
  • PittyHPittyH Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by Greyface

Yeah i can appreciate the fact that people want to see industry/Genre grow, so Kudos to you all.

But once all the dust and hype settles, you're in for a damn long wait lol.

I'd rather just buy the game in 2016, if the reviews are good. 

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by PittyH

I'm just amazed people would pledge for a game that's due out in 3 years time, lol 2016.

A lot can happen in 3 years.

I'm happy to back projects like this but what concerns me is it cost them that much to fund a tech demo that looks like something my friend could of thrown together in a weekend(not literally).. It just looks really bad for a game of this age... i dunno maybe I'm missing something here. either way glad the sandbox games are getting more and more attention lately...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390

True.  But it just got a little shorter. 

I pledged a little money.  It was far less than all the money I've wasted on disappointing MMOs in the last two years.  Just the possibility of Goblinworks making good on their promises should keep me from wasting $60 + 2 months of subscription fees on the next blockbuster WoW-clone.  So, in that respect, I tripled my money.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Yeah i can appreciate the fact that people want to see industry/Genre grow, so Kudos to you all.

Here's a comparison to illustrate why backing made a difference (both individual and collective):

Themepark: 50-100m$; 4-6yrs dev

Sandbox: 5-10m$; 1.5+yrs dev (PFO)

The kickstarter means the Early Enrollment for backers is mid-2014; maybe a bit more with delays. There's a combat tool scheduled for late 2013 also to test.

So what that does for PFO, is reduce development risk, increase speed with which interested players will be able to start playing. Those early players gain skill-training while later players gain a sandbox already creating some infrastructure and addition of increase in features and systems added.

It's a great process to participate it which is the whole point to mitigate the as you point out high risk of backing high and backing early with cash.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Actually the folks that Crowdforge are allowed early entry in June 2014 (estimated) so that's not as far as you might think.   Even the regular release is now 2015 if Im not mistaken (as thatw as the point of the kickstarter).

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

2014 for backers at the $35+...

2014 early enrollment for backers is the release of the game, there will be no server wipes.

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by BlackUhuru

2014 for backers at the $35+...

2014 early enrollment for backers is the release of the game, there will be no server wipes.

The devs need to remove any mention of 2016..  I keep seeing that quoted everywhere.   The game is coming out in 2014 for anyone who is really involved with it at  this point.  I am fairly certain we will see another kickstarter within 6 months to ´fund´ the early access launch, which will of course also include early access.   They have gone to the pot twice and got gold, there is no reason for them not to do it again if it can speed up launch.

Originally posted by Azrile

I am fairly certain we will see another kickstarter within 6 months to ´fund´ the early access launch, which will of course also include early access.   They have gone to the pot twice and got gold, there is no reason for them not to do it again if it can speed up launch.

Umm.. sure.  I'll take that bet.  I'm sure in July you will come back and apologize for making wild and unfounded speculations like that.

Their CEO said this was the last kickstarter.. even if it failed, but I'll take the word of a guy who hates the game design but posts in the threads on it.   Oh... no that's right I won't.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I am fairly certain we will see another kickstarter within 6 months to ´fund´ the early access launch, which will of course also include early access.   They have gone to the pot twice and got gold, there is no reason for them not to do it again if it can speed up launch.

Umm.. sure.  I'll take that bet.  I'm sure in July you will come back and apologize for making wild and unfounded speculations like that.

Their CEO said this was the last kickstarter.. even if it failed, but I'll take the word of a guy who hates the game design but posts in the threads on it.   Oh... no that's right I won't.

I must have missed that quote from the CEO.. care to link?

The official forums are currently swamped as people celebrate the funding and start taking advantage of CROWDFUNDING.  First community choice is already done: Adding  Gnomes will be the first stretch goal and it looks like that will happen.  the second stretch goal is between adding pets, mounts or additional gods.

Once the pandamonium settles down visit the foums and search for Ryan Dancy.  He is the CEO.   Or of course, you could move on to a game you will be playing... but different strokes for different folks.

Is the whole budget coming from this Kickstarter?

No. Most of the budget is being provided by our initial investors, but the money we're raising on Kickstarter is the difference between a 4 year development plan and a much faster, much larger plan.

Barring unforeseeable future complications we do not expect to have to raise additional funds or do additional Kickstarter projects after the successful completion of this project.

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    I can't believe people would pledge on a game that is going to charge you a monthly fee for beta. I wonder how many who pledged have read that part.
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    I can't believe people would pledge on a game that is going to charge you a monthly fee for beta. I wonder how many who pledged have read that part.

I did, and it honestly was the issue I struggled with.  I even started a thread here on it... but after a while I realized that they were only being HONEST for once.  Other games have been out for YEARS in a beta state but they release and charge subs.  At least these guys said you can save all your free game time and use it any time you like.

I did, and it honestly was the issue I struggled with.  I even started a thread here on it... but after a while I realized that they were only being HONEST for once.  Other games have been out for YEARS in a beta state but they release and charge subs.  At least these guys said you can save all your free game time and use it any time you like.

If they were being honest, they would straight up say what it is instead of making up new terms for it to fool unspecting pledgers.

There is no wipe during early enrollment (beta). So you say paying for beta? I say paying to develope the game world and start developing your charactor.

No wipe = Same as any mmo release.

Crowdforgers just happen to get in early to set the stage for the final release.

There is no wipe during early enrollment (beta). So you say paying for beta? I say paying to develope the game world and start developing your charactor.

Crowdforgers just happen to get in early to set the stage for the final release.

It doesn't matter if they let you keep your character or not. At best it is beta. In the regards that is a feature incomplete game, it is actually an alpha.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Just hope there is enough production quality to make the animations and the combat to be fluid and polished.  Nothing I cant stand more then crappy combat animations and it almost always done by indie studios. 

Good thing about them reaching their goal means they should release in 2014 right?  Instead of 2015?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

If they were being honest, they would straight up say what it is instead of making up new terms for it to fool unspecting pledgers.

I dunno.. I kind of understood exactly what they described.  It's not a normal beta as your accomplishments will not be wiped.  you are simply the first adventurers in the new world and it will definately have reduced functionality.

If you didn't understand that i think the issue lays on your end and not theirs...

If you did understand, why assume nobody else would?

It doesn't matter if they let you keep your character or not. At best it is beta. In the regards that is a feature incomplete game, it is actually an alpha.

Funny you say that because of ever mmo i bought in the past 6 years or so felt like i was in beta anyways... So whats the difference between PFO and any other AAA title that released?

Hell SWTOR is still in beta lol...

All MMO's ever created have been in beta from the moment they release.