Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Adventuring With Others

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the classic features in any MMO is the need and/or desire to group with others to adventure throughout the world In today's WoW Factor, we take a look at the adventuring life. Check it out and then discuss the article in the comments.

I would wager that most of the socializing that does happen in World of Warcraft, and other MMO’s for that matter, is probably among your guild mates. One of the greatest aspects of World of Warcraft is that a vast majority of the players are honestly great people despite what many discussion forums would make you believe. In all of my time playing World of Warcraft however, I have found that the most memorable moments have been the interactions I’ve had with other players. This is where some of the most rewarding things can happen and often all it takes is someone to get the conversation going. 

Read more of Reza Lackey's The WoW Factor: Adventuring With Others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    This is all really great advice, not just for WoW, but pretty much any MMO. These games and the people in them, are only as good as what we put into them.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    I have always like WOW but I seen it change to what I call dumbing down a bit. We all run into those AH's who are intend on ruining someones fun. It was always hard for guy like me to find people of my age Im now 67 and I do enjoy online gameing started playing with my children late 70s and early 80's I have issue with wow faction atm with my Orc warrior I wish they would reset the whole thing and start over  for what I have learned the quest starter I cannot even get them to talk to me or any other quest giver. I dont have that issue with my other characters. I just wish sometime they had a locator for Old folks :-) we tend to slow down a bit but still play with the same Enthusiasm as the younger generation

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Right now WoW is on fire. Chances are if your playing right now even if your not the type to group, your looking for a group just to do your dailies since the environment is very hostile and that group can provide you with protection and intimidation, that is unless your playing on a dead server. I play on an rppvp server and the tension is very high between horde and alliance, its how the game is supposed to be.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    Right now WoW is on fire. Chances are if your playing right now even if your not the type to group, your looking for a group just to do your dailies since the environment is very hostile and that group can provide you with protection and intimidation, that is unless your playing on a dead server. I play on an rppvp server and the tension is very high between horde and alliance, its how the game is supposed to be.

What server is that?

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Yep, for the most part, I can personally say that it is the people that make the game, and their imaginations. I've recently decided (personally) to put the 'rpg' back into my mmorpgs. It's easy to truck along hitting level after level, doing quest after quest. Sometimes you gotta kick back and shoot the shit with your in game pals, meet new people, talk with them, get to know the wonderful people you share the strange worlds with! Whether you are a rp'er or not, you gotta appreciate it all.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

I'm not unfriendly in MMOs but I don't go out of my way to chat it up.  The addiction of WOW is character progression, be it gear, acheivements, rep.  Even in guilds I tend to mostly listen to vent chat rather than participate.  I think a lot of players fall into my category of wanting to get stuff done rather than wanting to make a bunch of online buddies.

Your looking for a support role, there is plenty of oppurtunity for that. I have witnessed many types of leadership styles, some embrace members that just want a support role and some want an entire team of type A personalities. Some leaders want just the bare bones so they can shape thier members..... The list of leadership types is huge, you just have to find the right one for yourself or start to recruit and delegate so your in a position to be a support player. I have met some great people, they have suprised me and many ways, I have learned a lot from them ad well, especially when it comes to patience, and listening. Some of the best leaders in game I have seen were not the most knowledgeable about the game itself, it's been so interesting just observing the styles and cultures.
  • coldandnumbcoldandnumb Member CommonPosts: 90

I totally agree with what was written in this article and I think it is good advise for any mmo but since this was about wow I'll just stick to commenting on my experiences in that game. I've played wow casually off and on since vanilla days and while it's true that the best experiences have come from actually interacting with other players most of the worst experiences have come from the same. Things like getting screamed at for not already knowing every encounter in a dungeon even if you've never run it before. Being left out of guild runs because you're not a close personal real life friend or relation of the guild officers and general chat that would make a sailor blush or throw up all have been my lot more often then not and usually the reason why I only play for one or two months a year. It's not that I don't encounter that sort of thing in other games especially ftp ones but it has been the worst in wow again at least in my experience.

Other then that very good advise to all gamers I wish more would take it to heart.

I almost forgot to pay kudos to Reza this is a great article. I have to say I was more on the teaching end when I played swtor it seemed like almost everyone I had run into during launch didn't understand basic mmo mechanics commonly found in the trinity, agro, healing tanking ..... And so on
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    This funny that u got Wow article and just downloaded it for the first time now i see where other mmorpgs get some of there ideas i was skeptical of Wow but now im liking Wow and i DL gw2 again i miss that game.
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I dont pvp much but i do now in wow, damn u wow.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    This is all really great advice, not just for WoW, but pretty much any MMO. These games and the people in them, are only as good as what we put into them.

+1

I do most of these things in WoW.  I even have a couple of battle.net friends that I've met with the lfg tool for dungeons and stuff, just with a simple hello.  We've met up in diablo and starcraft 2 to play together as well.  It's sad that they're from a different server in WoW, but we still have fun in other games.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Very nice article, and yes I agree with the points and even try to emulate most of them, though not when I am in a bad mood heh.

I think the old school players find WoW to be more of a single player game with respect to how the old games like EQ1 and old DAoC used to be. You had to group up on most classes to advance, it was not just about doing group content like in WoW. As a result, very deeply rooted communities formed that have lasted for years.

You can't really do that in WoW or in most recent games. The game communities have changed to have less strong ties, but players relate to each other differently now.

I do miss the old ways to some extent, but I don't mind the new ways too. At least there is considerably less drama in WoW these days in guilds, and that is fine by me.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

Most of the "socializing" I do in WoW is joking around in /instance chat. Just being silly, saying stupid things, reading a good joke someone shares, etc.That's with random people.

Don't have a guild, I quit that after I realized my time is more important the any guild leader's can ever be.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Its terrible advice to talk to another player about their gear to suggest other things ;). Reason I say that is because most players would then bite your head off and tell you in choice words what you can do!

Whenever I see players with no gems/enchants or even the correct stat gear and I have tried to talk to them in a nice manner in the past all I get is f-off dude its my game I pay my sub.

Although because of this column I have actually started to whisper people randomly in the game, saw a hunter today with an invisible snake dragon pet whispered him "cool pet".

• sirachsirach Member UncommonPosts: 54

Great article and advice. Ive played most MMOs, and WoW has a some of the best (and worst) people/community out there. I've had more random interaction and questing with strangers in WoW than any other game. I've recently started to tank, and I won't start a dungeon until I greet everyone. I try to talk throughout, and make sure no one is being overwhelmed.  Most people respond very positively. I love meeting people in the world and throwing random emotes at them, shooting a whisper about their cool mount, buffing them, starting small talk as we fish, giving them a drink from the bar, etc. Many people don't respond, but the when someone does, great times often develop. Cross server really brought life into the game, its just a shame you can't share items with them, etc.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    My first experience of a game where people adopted a "can't talk. grinding" attitude was Lord of the Rings Online. I joined a guild ("kin" in LotRO) and even when most people were on, teamspeak was silent, the kin chat box was blank. Most subsequent games were like that as well. It's no wonder the general forums here are loaded with "The awful state of the mmo industry." threads. The devs on the one hand succumb to pressure to make games solo-friendly. On the other hand players bury their heads in the grind and rarely look up. We've taken the mm out of mmorpg. I'd say one's best bet these days is joining a null-sec corp in EvE online because you can't really succeed at that without some serious interaction.
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Very good article and advice.  I currently play ffxi and have been playing for years and my enjoyment these days is helping new players or guildmates with whatever i can. It's a rewarding feeling to see the same players or guildmates pay it forward.