Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you pay 60$ for the new expansion?

Comments

• skorner64skorner64 Member Posts: 47
    Yes, if they add some sort of meaningful reward to WvWvW thats worth going after, but so far NO.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    $60 for an expansion? That is going to have to be some expansion. They have lots of issues to adress. I doubt they'll be pricing it like that. They could be in for a nasty surpise if they do.

imageimage
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    Originally posted by uknortherner
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    Originally posted by uknortherner

Well, what a surprise. As soon as I saw the thread author's name, I knew that this would be a drive-by baiting thread, and surprise, surprise... It is.

What a sad and pathetic life he must live.

A what now? Drive-by baiting thread? What the funk did I just read. 

It's in the GW2 subforums, no?

It's a simple question, no?

What if the results had been +60% Yes. Would it still have been baiting then according to you? If not, why isn't the inverse true? Forget completely for a second who the OP was.

Drive-by baiting in the sense that 1) He plucked a figure of $60 out of his backside, 2) His posting history with regards to GW2 is overwhelmingly negative, and 3) He hasn't returned to comment on the poll results so far, or has even attempted to pass along his own opnion on such matters.

Therefore, a "drive-by baiting thread".

True we won't know what the expansion is going to cost. Probably way less. I don't think the price is the gist of the poll but okay.

His post history doesn't help, nor that he hasn't responded. But I still don't see what his post history has to do with the gist of what the poll is about "will you or will you not buy it?". He couldn't have known the outcome beforehand.

Edit: he could've worded it differently but didn't. I can see why it would be considered baiting.

I haven't responded, because I was just interested in the results.  To me seeing a swing of about 80% over these few months has been fascinating. At launch this type of poll of poll would have been around 70%-30% for approve.

Within the mountain of "I just don't know," "this aspect sucks,"  post of mine, you'll find my first 3 weeks of play posts, where I say things like "WvW is incredible." and how the animations "just feel right." I was even posting screen shots. 

I may not share your opinions, but my opinions and angst about this type of mmorpg are real. Call me crazy, but in someway I hope that if the community gives honest feedback about the games we play, good, or bad we'll get better products.

wouldn't it have been more interesting if you had made the poll worth participating in. Where a person could actually gain some sort of knowledge from it, rather than a poll which is unable to be anything but bias. I remember your bias polls from your TSW days as well, and I'm really looking forward to see what sort of ones you make up for Age of Wushu.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by tkoreaper
    [mod edit]

I don't remember you warning me that I was going to have a great time in the best MMO I've played since WoW. 

Thanks, I guess?

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76

At this point Anet would have to pay me 60 dollars to play their expansion. I have a bad feeling about the direction they will take it. That combined with the fact my motivation to play the game totally dissapeared when I hit 80. I realize not everyone feels this way..and I did enjoy the game lvling up. I'm just not interested in gear grinding...I would be enticed back if the focus of the expansion was on adding classes and pvp stuff. But I just doubt they will go that route..I predict a slow move into tiered gear for dungeons/raids.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by nukempro

At this point Anet would have to pay me 60 dollars to play their expansion. I have a bad feeling about the direction they will take it. That combined with the fact my motivation to play the game totally dissapeared when I hit 80. I realize not everyone feels this way..and I did enjoy the game lvling up. I'm just not interested in gear grinding...I would be enticed back if the focus of the expansion was on adding classes and pvp stuff. But I just doubt they will go that route..I predict a slow move into tiered gear for dungeons/raids.

You realize the "gear grind" is an illusion, no? Exotics, the highest level of armors, can be bought off the trading post, crafted, found, etc. Ascended gear is Fractals specific with the Agony resistance, although a few pieces can give you a couple stat points over exotics at best. Since we're talking about two rings and a backpiece, it's marginal at best and represents the tier they'll be adding lateral progression to. They will also ultimately fill the time gap between exotics and legendaries, which take a considerable investment in character to get and exotics. When ascended weapons are added in the future they'll boost lengendaries to match them. Note also here that Legendary will be the final tier for the most insanely dedicated to pursue. They won't give you a power advantage over comparable ascended (when those are released), but will allow those that strive for a ground out rare item to have a goal to pursue if they wish.

Fuggedaboutit regarding tiered style raid gear etc. Wrong game, wrong paradigm.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by botrytis
    [mod edit]

I think it is a great game - thanks - [mod edit]

There's no hate involved... I just refuse to support a game that isn't worth my time. It was decent up to lvl 80 and then it's nothing but grind grind grind. I honestly would rather play a themepark like WoW than this, at least the grind isn't as apparent in those. I've never seen a game with so little development like this one... It would be understandable if there were no cash shop. It begs the question of where all the money is going... It's starting to look like another repeat of GW1 where content releases took a long time. Couple all this with several issues that have existed since release and you have a rather poor game.

So let me get this straight. You warned everybody about the game, but then bought it and played it yourself?  Am I the only person that thinks this is odd?

And I can't beleive that you actually said GW had slow content releases when you say that you'd rather play WoW which had an average of every two years between expansion packs while GW had one every year.  GW2 has had sizeable content downloads every month.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I got GW2 as a birthday gift.

When the expansion comes out, I will ask for underwear.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I didn't realize there was an expansion already.  Can you link it.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Absolutely. You can't beat the price of the original game; 60$ for a game that lasts you atleast a few hundred hours. If the expansion is 60$ (which it probably won't be) I am sure tons of people will buy it, just like tons of people bought the game. The thing about people who play MMOs (especially the kind on MMORPG.com) is the second they start seeing new stuff, they dive right in. Hell, I do it all the time.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    I didn't realize there was an expansion already.  Can you link it.  

it was an analyst prediction

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/30/korean-analysts-predict-guild-wars-2-expansion-in-2013/

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Permadude
    Originally posted by Z3R01

They would never charge $60 for an expansion...

Maybe $30 or $40 but $60 is new game territory and thats suicide.

New game territory, like Factions or Nightfall? 

Factions and Nightfall were full blown campaigns.

They were referred to as standalones. 

You could buy one of them in place of the original prophecies. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Originally posted by Vladriel
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Unless they keep adding gear tiers and gear tiers only acquirable by certain activities, yes.

[mod edit]

not sure if you noticed or not, but he started that sentence off with "unless"

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Vladriel
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Unless they keep adding gear tiers and gear tiers only acquirable by certain activities, yes.

[mod edit]

He's actually on your side lol.  You do raise a good point though, however angrily.

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178

Lets see $80 for the package then $60 for the update hmmm even if you play a year it is like subbing at 15 a month with taxes.

I have started just saying no to NCSOFT Its getting to be another $OE.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by heocat

Lets see $80 for the package then $60 for the update hmmm even if you play a year it is like subbing at 15 a month with taxes.

With tax? Buy it digital. Anyways, the original game was 60$ and the expansion will probably be more like 40$. Even if it is 60$, it is still a ways out, possibly even a year away at this point. A 60$ expansion every 18 months or so is pretty reasonable if you ask me. No, that is not even close to a 15$ sub. A 3$ sub if you want to get technical. Alot of sub based MMOs shoot for around 18 months for an expansion. Well,  that is until most of them went "pay to play or be forced to be a second class citizen".

Originally posted by heocat

I know right! I mean, it's like sooo waaaaayyyyy better for like, you know, all the like totally decent companies, like, you know, Blizzard and stuff, like they totally, like you know, pretty much give you the game, like you know cause they like, give you all their expansion packs for like, you know, free and stuff, cause thats how much, you know,  the subscription companies, like you know, are like totally caring and loving and stuff. dude.

NOTE:  I'm assuming that we were trying to lighten the mood of the thread by making silly posts. Otherwise you probably would  have taken note that the OP doesn't have a clue about what the costs of the expansion will end up being, as they haven't even announced an expansion yet.  So yeah, it's fun being silly. Thanks for adding to the thread.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Volkon

You realize the "gear grind" is an illusion, no? Exotics, the highest level of armors, can be bought off the trading post, crafted, found, etc. Ascended gear is Fractals specific with the Agony resistance, although a few pieces can give you a couple stat points over exotics at best. Since we're talking about two rings and a backpiece, it's marginal at best and represents the tier they'll be adding lateral progression to. They will also ultimately fill the time gap between exotics and legendaries, which take a considerable investment in character to get and exotics. When ascended weapons are added in the future they'll boost lengendaries to match them. Note also here that Legendary will be the final tier for the most insanely dedicated to pursue. They won't give you a power advantage over comparable ascended (when those are released), but will allow those that strive for a ground out rare item to have a goal to pursue if they wish.

I love how blind the GW2 fanbase is.

You bring up that this stuff is purchasable off the market, what you dont bring up is there no reliable way to "grind" money out to buy it.  So you either spend an ungodly amount of grinding to get the item directly, or you spend an ungodly amount of time gringing to get the money to buy the item off the market.  Then, all you get is some sparklies.  Big friggin whup.

Explain to me how spending 100 hours grinding for an exotic piece of armor is any different than a raider spending 100 hours raiding in a raid zone to get tokens to buy the same set of armor?

You guys are so full of it its not even funny.

One of the CORE tenets of RPG's is the idea behind your character getting more powerful.  Its really a core tenet of fantasy in general.  Even if fantasy books the character starts out as some punk who is so inept he can't swing a sword fast enough to cut a cantelope, but by the end he becomes a super awesome knight, or wizard, or king, or thief, or whatever.  This whole idea of "lateral progression" is a huge load of crap and thankfully not many people have bought into, and a healthy portion of the ones that did buy into it realized that its a load of crap shortly after having partaken in said load of crap.

If you don't want to worry about other people who have more time to invest in the game than you having better gear than you, go play a single player RPG. Then you are only beholden to yourself.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Hrimnir

You bring up that this stuff is purchasable off the market, what you dont bring up is there no reliable way to "grind" money out to buy it.  So you either spend an ungodly amount of grinding to get the item directly, or you spend an ungodly amount of time gringing to get the money to buy the item off the market.  Then, all you get is some sparklies.  Big friggin whup.

Explain to me how spending 100 hours grinding for an exotic piece of armor is any different than a raider spending 100 hours raiding in a raid zone to get tokens to buy the same set of armor?

One of the CORE tenets of RPG's is the idea behind your character getting more powerful.  Its really a core tenet of fantasy in general.  Even if fantasy books the character starts out as some punk who is so inept he can't swing a sword fast enough to cut a cantelope, but by the end he becomes a super awesome knight, or wizard, or king, or thief, or whatever.  This whole idea of "lateral progression" is a huge load of crap and thankfully not many people have bought into, and a healthy portion of the ones that did buy into it realized that its a load of crap shortly after having partaken in said load of crap.

If you don't want to worry about other people who have more time to invest in the game than you having better gear than you, go play a single player RPG. Then you are only beholden to yourself.

Gotta love somebody that doesn't know, telling everyone how it is.  Thanks for sharing though.

By the time I reached level 80 I had enough karma for 2 almost 3 peices. That's without grinding at all. Now, to grind karma, you can do your daily acheivement and receive a jug of liquid karma. You can complete a map and get a karma boost. You can complete a mission in your personal storyline and get a karma boost. You can complete a DE. These things all provide karma.

You can buy exotic gear off TP for around 5 gold each, that is a total of 30 gold. Woah. you can buy one (count them) one gem card at ~$25 and end up with around 30 gold.

So, there is a little input from somebody that actually plays the game.  You're welcome.

EDIT: Oh, and the difference between spending 100 hours grinding in GW2, and a raider spending 100 hours grinding out a raid. Well with an average raid time of 4 hours, and weekly lockouts, that equals 6 months and $90.00 . In GW2, 100 hours of grinding  can be done in a week or two. 

Thought maybe I'd clear THAT up as well, seeing that you asked.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Gotta love somebody that doesn't know, telling everyone how it is.  Thanks for sharing though.

By the time I reached level 80 I had enough karma for 2 almost 3 peices. That's without grinding at all. Now, to grind karma, you can do your daily acheivement and receive a jug of liquid karma. You can complete a map and get a karma boost. You can complete a mission in your personal storyline and get a karma boost. You can complete a DE. These things all provide karma.

You can buy exotic gear off TP for around 5 gold each, that is a total of 30 gold. Woah. you can buy one (count them) one gem card at ~$25 and end up with around 30 gold.

So, there is a little input from somebody that actually plays the game.  You're welcome.

EDIT: Oh, and the difference between spending 100 hours grinding in GW2, and a raider spending 100 hours grinding out a raid. Well with an average raid time of 4 hours, and weekly lockouts, that equals 6 months and $90.00 . In GW2, 100 hours of grinding  can be done in a week or two. 

Nice try, but I did play the game thoroughly. Over 160 hours logged.  And i had a full suit of exotic i bought at about 2.5g-3g each.  And by the by, i have 60% map completion and i still only had a little over 40k karma.  Also, when i quit, $10 worth of gems would net you a little under 2g, so apparently the exchange rate has gone up a HUGE friggin amount since i quit. Even if, that doesnt answer my previous point, my point was it takes forever to grind to get the money to buy it, your solution is to pay 2 win? Why dont you tell them how long it takes to get 30g from normal means...

As far as raiders, 6 months? BS.  It doesnt take anywhere close to that long. Even WOW was releasing new raids every 2-3 months and most guilds were able to complete just about everything in the previous raid in 1.5-2 months time.  Rift is a little worse that it can take 3-4 months for a dedicated guild to clear out EVERYTHING in that raid.  But that doesnt translate at all into getting the armor sets.  That can be done in less than a month in most cases, 2 months at worse.

The BIG difference between the two methods is that while with your "lateral" progression system, you're grinding the SAME content over and over to get your more sparkly gear, whereas with raids, yeah, we spend 2-4 months in one zone to get gear to go to a totally new set of content.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by eyelolled

Nice try, but I did play the game thoroughly. Over 160 hours logged.  And i had a full suit of exotic i bought at about 2.5g-3g each.  And by the by, i have 60% map completion and i still only had a little over 40k karma.  Also, when i quit, $10 worth of gems would net you a little under 2g, so apparently the exchange rate has gone up a HUGE friggin amount since i quit. Even if, that doesnt answer my previous point, my point was it takes forever to grind to get the money to buy it, your solution is to pay 2 win? Why dont you tell them how long it takes to get 30g from normal means...

As far as raiders, 6 months? BS.  It doesnt take anywhere close to that long. Even WOW was releasing new raids every 2-3 months and most guilds were able to complete just about everything in the previous raid in 1.5-2 months time.  Rift is a little worse that it can take 3-4 months for a dedicated guild to clear out EVERYTHING in that raid.  But that doesnt translate at all into getting the armor sets.  That can be done in less than a month in most cases, 2 months at worse.

The BIG difference between the two methods is that while with your "lateral" progression system, you're grinding the SAME content over and over to get your more sparkly gear, whereas with raids, yeah, we spend 2-4 months in one zone to get gear to go to a totally new set of content.

OK. How long to grind 30g. I can easily do 1 gold each night by following 1 DE chain a couple times and selling everything. That DE chain is the one that starts at the top of Harathi Hinterlands ending with the modnir champ Ulgoth. Each run takes approximately 1 hour. That is an easy farm for people not wanting to bother with dungeons, or higher level areas. So, you could easily purchase a full set of exotics, in one month, by earning in game gold.

As for raiders, we weren't talking about how long it took to complete a raid, but how long it took to grind for 100 hours to obtain gear.  Being able to conquer the raid doesn't make a difference other than the raider would actually GET the epic loot.  If you're going to argue about something, at least argue about the proper point especially when it started from what you said.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Is the expansion going to fundamentally changd the game while adding the same amount of content as the original release? No? Then I'm not going to pay $60.
  • zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

i voted no 

not because its  not worth it  but  i know i can get it cheaper from a different retailer

so i wont pay $60 dollers  more like $40 

it was somthing i noticed  when i bought the preorder  it  wasnt worth  paying all that extra  for  not very much and only access  to the betas  it  just  wasnt worth the extra cost

now is the the expansion  going to be worth  $40  

if  its the same as  other guild wars  expansions  with a new  part of the world and  a couple of new classes and a load of new skills( maybe new weapons)

then defo  it will be worth it

they dont need to up the levels or  weapons or armour   the game is already a great game

btw  gold in the game is a lot easier to make than  most people think , just sell  everything   all cloth ore  wood  anything and  soon the money comes  in

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Someone hasn't played in sometime.

Finishing the daily achievement nets you mystic jug that give 4200 karma. The montly achievement nets you 10 mystic jugs.

With karma boosts you can get up to 7875 karma per jug.

The main problem with karma is that there aren't many useful things you can buy and the karma traders are all spread around.

If you just do the dailes you will get 126K Karma per month without any boosts just from mystic jugs.

Also dungeons were revamped and yield much more money - an AC explorer run that takes 20-30 minutes will give more than 1g.

Dungeons also give more rare items and tokens that will convert into exotics and ectos (from rare salvages)

The fact that gems are worth more gold should be a clear indication people are earning more coin.

Basically, you are outdated.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by Deleted User
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by JR4D

I voted no. Still to this day, I dont know what the point of playing this game is all about.

Oh, that's easy.

To have fun.

Why else would you play a game? If it's not fun for you, so be it, best of luck finding one you enjoy. But that's the point after all... having fun.

That's funny.

That's like if someone asks, why do you eat at the Olive Garden?

and they reply with "to get full"

You don't play to  have fun? Is there some mystical reason I'm missing? I'm confuzzled now.

When I eat at Olive Garden, btw, it's because I like it. With good people, I have fun there even if it's just the conversation. Same with GW2. I like it and I therefore I have fun. Now... liking it isn't reason enough... I like Eve Online for example, but I stopped having fun. Still a damned good game, just no longer what I'm into. Same with WoW... had a blast raiding Ulduar and the like, but as Cata was approaching it stopped being fun for me. 

Where is the Olive Garden?  Sounds like a nice place

Opionion, of course. Olive Garden is overpriced garbage. I absolutely garaunfuckingtee that you could learn to cook any of their dishes at a much higher level of quality, providing you can identify a stove.