Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online: Funding Goal REACHED!

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Just $25k to go :-)

If anyone really wants to be a part of building this fantasy sandbox world.. NOW is your chance to get into Early Enrollment.  Don't be left on the outside looking in!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    I'm actually rooting for this one, 5 hours left and 23k to go!
  • BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

When the game gets released to the F2P players the crowdforgers will have developed a great enviroment for them to start thier journey. Crowdforgers will establish the base lore for the game, not some out of touch suit in an office!

A game for the players, crowdforged by the players, established on day one by the players.

A real MMORPG made by real RPG developers go figure...

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Its rare that I put money into a product before something is more concrete, but I went ahead and put some funding in.  

While this premise behind the game is something I'm personally interested in,  I'm also supportive of the use of the Unity Engine as I am currently working with it and additional development could lead to them adding or buying from the asset store,  which, either way would be a plus.  

Hopefully they will get funded...  It would be terrible to get so far for us all to go home empty handed.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Its rare that I put money into a product before something is more concrete, but I went ahead and put some funding in.  

While this premise behind the game is something I'm personally interested in,  I'm also supportive of the use of the Unity Engine as I am currently working with it and additional development could lead to them adding or buying from the asset store,  which, either way would be a plus.  

Hopefully they will get funded...  It would be terrible to get so far for us all to go home empty handed.

Funding is no longer in question.. now it is a matter of stretch goals!

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Funding is no longer in question.. now it is a matter of stretch goals!

Good to know :)

If they were smart and truly deserving of the money they would have some money put back to finish off the kickstarter themselves if it got close. If they do not and the project fails to get funded by lacking such a small amount then it shows they didn't really have the business sense to pull off a project like this. 

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Azrile
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
    Originally posted by Azrile

The devs do seem to be going in a little nieve regarding pvp.  Richard Garriot said he was overwhelmed by how evil people were.  He really thought  the ´good guys´ would outnumber the reds by such a large amount that pking would rarely happen.  He was also very neive about how skillful players would be at avoiding/cheating any type of noterity system he installed.  The first few years of UO, the devs were constantly 6 months behind the latest éxploit´ that basically allowed one player to kill another player without ever being marked as a criminal.

Other than the one CCP guy, the rest of the guys seem to be tabletop guys or writers (which is funny considering they say that ´players´ write the story.  I would feel much better about this title if there were some more hardcore design guys on team, or someone with ingame economics experience.  You have all this focus on crafting and economy and politics.. and then a bunch of people on staff who made their money writing tabletop games and books.

6 hours,  32k to go.. they got their money.. let the countdown to 2014 begin.

i do rather donate 100$ to a writer making a game then giving 1c to the next themepark trash, we ll make it, suck it up themepark apologists

What is there to suck up.  I enjoy themeparks if they are done well ( WOW), but my first 6 years in an MMO were in UO from almost day 1.    What I am stating is common sense.. if you are making a game where the story is driven by players, and the main part of the game is systems like crafting, economy and politics..   wouldn´t it be better to have the ´story-writers´ making a themepark game and the hardcore system designers and economists making your sandbox.

I have two major problems with this title.  First is the lack of real experience from the devs in regards to creating the systems ingame.  They have one guy who worked on an MMO before in some capacity.  The other major problem I have is the early access + crowdsourcing they are doing.  The game is going to be completely dominated by the people who get into early access, who will be helping to write a lot of the rules.  Anyone coming into the game after that will be relegated to sheep... very similar to Eve.   If you joined Eve in the last 4 years, the best advice someone could give you was to join a large corp and be a peon.  By the time the ´real´ players join PFO, the factions will already be well developed, the map will already be carved up and the rules will already be in place that encourage you to join an existing faction and be a sheep for one of the people who got in early access.

You maybe right or you maybe just running around yelling wolf.

Those that have a interest in the game and actually plan to play (ie kickstarters) should have a voice in the games developement over those that have no plans to play and are perfectly fine with more WoW.

You have your unlimited WoW rez scrolls to entice players who want to try WoW. Don't fear that another game that you are not investing in might succeed. Everyone that kickstarts has to know theres always a chance the game will never make it to launch. its a risk and a chance we take because we want something better then the same wornout stuff the suites at the big name developers that have lost touch with the gaming community keep producing.

it short your happy with WoW . Go play WoW. Your are risking nothing and lossing nothing If pathfinder online fails or succeeds. Don't complain if while taking no risks you also get no benifits.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

If they were smart and truly deserving of the money they would have some money put back to finish off the kickstarter themselves if it got close. If they do not and the project fails to get funded by lacking such a small amount then it shows they didn't really have the business sense to pull off a project like this. 

this as i understand it against the Kickstarters TOS

You are a smart man Mr. Ghost,  and I agree.

If we see this project get within 5K - 10K dollars within the last hour and does not get immediately funded by their team,  I would imagine this project is a hail mary pass then anything else.

If we see this project get within 5K - 10K dollars within the last hour and does not get immediately funded by their team,  I would imagine this project is a hail mary pass then anything else.

Paizo and Goblinworks have deep roots in both the TTRPG and MMO community. Many large companies would rise up and pledge large amounts to see it funded...

I guess some people have no idea who Paizo is...

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• WonderweissMWonderweissM Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I would honestly back it if it was expected to deliver jan. 2016.
    Originally posted by winter

this as i understand it against the Kickstarters TOS

Actually it is not and even if it were these type of things are easily circumvented without repercussions especially with such a small amount to go. 

Originally posted by WonderweissM
    I would honestly back it if it was expected to deliver jan. 2016.

Early Enrollment (Crowdforger level) is June 2014 expected.

I believe they said release would be about 9 months later...

The 2016 date was if the Kickstarter failed, which is not going to happen at this point.  now it's just a matter of hitting any stretch goals.

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

Paizo and Goblinworks have deep roots in both the TTRPG and MMO community. Many large companies would rise up and pledge large amounts to see it funded...

I guess some people have no idea who Paizo is...

As a Pathfinder PnP player I do, the problem is if "Many Large companies" were willing to rise up and pledge large amounts of money to see it funded they would not be on kickstarter. 

They are professionals with a great deal of experience I truly do respect the team and what they have done in the past. That however is not the same as working on something of this scale or this type of project in general. 

My post was not due to not knowing who Paizo was, nor was it made due to a dislike of Paizo.

In any case it is a moot point as it seems they have reached their goal :) 

It just officially FUNDED!

$1,000,000 !!!!

$1,000,000 !!!!

I beat you to it Slapshot :P 

• LetsPlayOutsideLetsPlayOutside Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Congrats to the devs. I hope it turns out to be a great game for the backers.
  • ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

$1,000,000 !!!!

I beat you to it Slapshot :P 

It should be clear now, but if Elite's last day or two is any indication there will be some dips as people drop out when faced with the reality of spending the cash.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    you cannot drop out once the funding is reached afaik
  • BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Looks like they made it

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Sweet......................

Done!!!

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Congrats to Goblinworks on reaching thier goal.

I don think though that thier Crowdforger model is going to either result in horible design decissions being made by player mandate, or Goblinworks dying in user rage, when they wisely discard user oppinion and do what s right for the game.

What player want =/= What players need

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    you cannot drop out once the funding is reached afaik

Close, you can't get your money back after time is up.  People still have 3-4 hours to remove their pledges, or increase them.  Once the deadline hits, people cannot lower or remove their pledge.  It isn't related to the funding goal.