Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Will you pay 60$ for the new expansion?

Comments

• tkoreapertkoreaper Castroville, TXPosts: 401Member Common
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    Originally posted by Serelisk

I feel like this is a loaded poll. Without a "Let me see the result" or "I don't play the game" option, you're definitely going to get response skewed heavily in favor of no. 

That being said, I voted yes because I like the game and my expectation of the content ArenaNet would deliver in an expansion would be well worth $60. 

Like Serelisk said. I'm missing a 3rd option.

Either you're going to buy it or you're not. Saying "maybe" is the same as saying no because you have no/very little faith in whatever they put out next.

If you don't play anymore then vote no or if you haven't played then don't vote.

• NBlitzNBlitz ZwollePosts: 1,904Member
    Originally posted by uknortherner

Well, what a surprise. As soon as I saw the thread author's name, I knew that this would be a drive-by baiting thread, and surprise, surprise... It is.

What a sad and pathetic life he must live.

A what now? Drive-by baiting thread? What the funk did I just read. 

It's in the GW2 subforums, no?

It's a simple question, no?

What if the results had been +60% Yes. Would it still have been baiting then according to you? If not, why isn't the inverse true? Forget completely for a second who the OP was.

Drive-by baiting in the sense that 1) He plucked a figure of $60 out of his backside, 2) His posting history with regards to GW2 is overwhelmingly negative, and 3) He hasn't returned to comment on the poll results so far, or has even attempted to pass along his own opnion on such matters.

Therefore, a "drive-by baiting thread".

True we won't know what the expansion is going to cost. Probably way less. I don't think the price is the gist of the poll but okay.

His post history doesn't help, nor that he hasn't responded. But I still don't see what his post history has to do with the gist of what the poll is about "will you or will you not buy it?". He couldn't have known the outcome beforehand.

Edit: he could've worded it differently but didn't. I can see why it would be considered baiting.

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by tkoreaper
    [mod edit]

I think it is a great game - thanks - [mod edit]

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• tkoreapertkoreaper Castroville, TXPosts: 401Member Common
    Originally posted by botrytis
    [mod edit]

There's no hate involved... I just refuse to support a game that isn't worth my time. It was decent up to lvl 80 and then it's nothing but grind grind grind. I honestly would rather play a themepark like WoW than this, at least the grind isn't as apparent in those. I've never seen a game with so little development like this one... It would be understandable if there were no cash shop. It begs the question of where all the money is going... It's starting to look like another repeat of GW1 where content releases took a long time. Couple all this with several issues that have existed since release and you have a rather poor game.

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    [mod edit]

There's no hate involved... I just refuse to support a game that isn't worth my time. It was decent up to lvl 80 and then it's nothing but grind grind grind. I honestly would rather play a themepark like WoW than this, at least the grind isn't as apparent in those. I've never seen a game with so little development like this one... It would be understandable if there were no cash shop. It begs the question of where all the money is going... It's starting to look like another repeat of GW1 where content releases took a long time. Couple all this with several issues that have existed since release and you have a rather poor game.

This pic is a little dated now, but it's definitely been worth my time...

I must say... I do look dashing.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• itgrowlsitgrowls newport news, VAPosts: 2,951Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with the game as it launched my concerns and thus hiatus started after they made poor management decisions about the direction and design post launch to accommodate the haters many of which are in these very forums, the ones who said the game absolutely had to have a gear treadmill and a dungeon only focus. Well you got your wish why aren't you jumping right into it? huh? yeah....

Unless they return to their open world focus in loot, DE metas, and fix gamebreaker mechanics like MF/DR and fix my class which has been in beta since before launch, there's really no point in logging in.

My complaint is they either got greedy or they started listening to the haters who wanted to turn this game into something it's not just to try to satisfy a tiny portion of the gaming population, look what happened to the game after they did that. No one in the world accept in the level 1-15 areas, everyone either on the island or in WvW or my personal favorite, hanging out in LA asking for a group for FotM.

They have three months to return it to what it was and fix the fiasco created by FotM and Ascended gear, neither of which this game needed at all.

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,262Member Uncommon

Well, what a surprise. As soon as I saw the thread author's name, I knew that this would be a drive-by baiting thread, and surprise, surprise... It is.

What if the results had been +60% Yes. Would it still have been baiting then according to you? If not, why isn't the inverse true? Forget completely for a second who the OP was.

Drive-by baiting in the sense that 1) He plucked a figure of $60 out of his backside, 2) His posting history with regards to GW2 is overwhelmingly negative, and 3) He hasn't returned to comment on the poll results so far, or has even attempted to pass along his own opnion on such matters.

True we won't know what the expansion is going to cost. Probably way less. I don't think the price is the gist of the poll but okay.

His post history doesn't help, nor that he hasn't responded. But I still don't see what his post history has to do with the gist of what the poll is about "will you or will you not buy it?". He couldn't have known the outcome beforehand.

Edit: he could've worded it differently but didn't. I can see why it would be considered baiting.

I haven't responded, because I was just interested in the results.  To me seeing a swing of about 80% over these few months has been fascinating. At launch this type of poll of poll would have been around 70%-30% for approve.

Within the mountain of "I just don't know," "this aspect sucks,"  post of mine, you'll find my first 3 weeks of play posts, where I say things like "WvW is incredible." and how the animations "just feel right." I was even posting screen shots. 

I may not share your opinions, but my opinions and angst about this type of mmorpg are real. Call me crazy, but in someway I hope that if the community gives honest feedback about the games we play, good, or bad we'll get better products.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,187Member Uncommon
    [mod edit]

There's a ton of games that aren't worth my time, but that doesn't mean they're bad.  I just don't want to play them.  If we took some other random game, let's say Planetside 2, I could come up with a ton of reasons why that game is a total waste of time (zerg combat, massive hacking, you can buy a massive advantage with money).  I could draw the same conclusions like "where's all their revenue going?"  "It's starting to look like another Vanguard where we'll never see updates because it's SoE."  Couple that will several issues that have existed in PS2 since release and you have a rather poor game.

But all of that is irrelevant to those who can overlook PS2s incredible flaws and just enjoy the game.  For those that like GW2 play style and game mechanics it's a fine game and B2P was a good deal.

That's pretty much why the OPs poll and interest is totally meaningless.  He's not interested in what the fans think and if they're interested in, but what does the general MMORPG.com user think.  Will they buy the next xpac?  Who cares if they don't like the game now.  I"m not going to spend a dime on PS2 would you like my vote in a poll asking if future spending in the game is worth it?

• skorner64skorner64 North Andover, MAPosts: 47Member
    Yes, if they add some sort of meaningful reward to WvWvW thats worth going after, but so far NO.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO SomewherePosts: 1,326Member
    $60 for an expansion? That is going to have to be some expansion. They have lots of issues to adress. I doubt they'll be pricing it like that. They could be in for a nasty surpise if they do.

imageimage
  • eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,133Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by bcbully

I haven't responded, because I was just interested in the results.  To me seeing a swing of about 80% over these few months has been fascinating. At launch this type of poll of poll would have been around 70%-30% for approve.

Within the mountain of "I just don't know," "this aspect sucks,"  post of mine, you'll find my first 3 weeks of play posts, where I say things like "WvW is incredible." and how the animations "just feel right." I was even posting screen shots. 

I may not share your opinions, but my opinions and angst about this type of mmorpg are real. Call me crazy, but in someway I hope that if the community gives honest feedback about the games we play, good, or bad we'll get better products.

wouldn't it have been more interesting if you had made the poll worth participating in. Where a person could actually gain some sort of knowledge from it, rather than a poll which is unable to be anything but bias. I remember your bias polls from your TSW days as well, and I'm really looking forward to see what sort of ones you make up for Age of Wushu.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    [mod edit]

I don't remember you warning me that I was going to have a great time in the best MMO I've played since WoW. 

Thanks, I guess?

• nukempronukempro Hudson, FLPosts: 76Member

At this point Anet would have to pay me 60 dollars to play their expansion. I have a bad feeling about the direction they will take it. That combined with the fact my motivation to play the game totally dissapeared when I hit 80. I realize not everyone feels this way..and I did enjoy the game lvling up. I'm just not interested in gear grinding...I would be enticed back if the focus of the expansion was on adding classes and pvp stuff. But I just doubt they will go that route..I predict a slow move into tiered gear for dungeons/raids.

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by nukempro

At this point Anet would have to pay me 60 dollars to play their expansion. I have a bad feeling about the direction they will take it. That combined with the fact my motivation to play the game totally dissapeared when I hit 80. I realize not everyone feels this way..and I did enjoy the game lvling up. I'm just not interested in gear grinding...I would be enticed back if the focus of the expansion was on adding classes and pvp stuff. But I just doubt they will go that route..I predict a slow move into tiered gear for dungeons/raids.

You realize the "gear grind" is an illusion, no? Exotics, the highest level of armors, can be bought off the trading post, crafted, found, etc. Ascended gear is Fractals specific with the Agony resistance, although a few pieces can give you a couple stat points over exotics at best. Since we're talking about two rings and a backpiece, it's marginal at best and represents the tier they'll be adding lateral progression to. They will also ultimately fill the time gap between exotics and legendaries, which take a considerable investment in character to get and exotics. When ascended weapons are added in the future they'll boost lengendaries to match them. Note also here that Legendary will be the final tier for the most insanely dedicated to pursue. They won't give you a power advantage over comparable ascended (when those are released), but will allow those that strive for a ground out rare item to have a goal to pursue if they wish.

Fuggedaboutit regarding tiered style raid gear etc. Wrong game, wrong paradigm.

Oderint, dum metuant.

[mod edit]

So let me get this straight. You warned everybody about the game, but then bought it and played it yourself?  Am I the only person that thinks this is odd?

And I can't beleive that you actually said GW had slow content releases when you say that you'd rather play WoW which had an average of every two years between expansion packs while GW had one every year.  GW2 has had sizeable content downloads every month.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

• paulythebpaulytheb Wauwatosa, WIPosts: 261Member Uncommon

I got GW2 as a birthday gift.

When the expansion comes out, I will ask for underwear.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn belleville, ILPosts: 1,701Member Uncommon
    I didn't realize there was an expansion already.  Can you link it.  

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• CelciusCelcius Franklin, TNPosts: 1,000Member Uncommon
    Absolutely. You can't beat the price of the original game; 60$ for a game that lasts you atleast a few hundred hours. If the expansion is 60$ (which it probably won't be) I am sure tons of people will buy it, just like tons of people bought the game. The thing about people who play MMOs (especially the kind on MMORPG.com) is the second they start seeing new stuff, they dive right in. Hell, I do it all the time.
  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    I didn't realize there was an expansion already.  Can you link it.  

it was an analyst prediction

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/30/korean-analysts-predict-guild-wars-2-expansion-in-2013/

• Z3R01Z3R01 NYC, NYPosts: 2,426Member
    Originally posted by Permadude
    Originally posted by Z3R01

They would never charge $60 for an expansion...

Maybe $30 or $40 but $60 is new game territory and thats suicide.

New game territory, like Factions or Nightfall? 

Factions and Nightfall were full blown campaigns.

They were referred to as standalones. 

You could buy one of them in place of the original prophecies. 

Playing:

Waiting on:

Originally posted by Vladriel
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Unless they keep adding gear tiers and gear tiers only acquirable by certain activities, yes.

[mod edit]

not sure if you noticed or not, but he started that sentence off with "unless"

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by Vladriel
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Unless they keep adding gear tiers and gear tiers only acquirable by certain activities, yes.

[mod edit]

He's actually on your side lol.  You do raise a good point though, however angrily.

• heocatheocat Mount Rainier, WAPosts: 167Member Common

Lets see $80 for the package then $60 for the update hmmm even if you play a year it is like subbing at 15 a month with taxes.

I have started just saying no to NCSOFT Its getting to be another $OE.

• CelciusCelcius Franklin, TNPosts: 1,000Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by heocat

Lets see $80 for the package then $60 for the update hmmm even if you play a year it is like subbing at 15 a month with taxes.

With tax? Buy it digital. Anyways, the original game was 60$ and the expansion will probably be more like 40$. Even if it is 60$, it is still a ways out, possibly even a year away at this point. A 60$ expansion every 18 months or so is pretty reasonable if you ask me. No, that is not even close to a 15$ sub. A 3$ sub if you want to get technical. Alot of sub based MMOs shoot for around 18 months for an expansion. Well,  that is until most of them went "pay to play or be forced to be a second class citizen".

Originally posted by heocat

I know right! I mean, it's like sooo waaaaayyyyy better for like, you know, all the like totally decent companies, like, you know, Blizzard and stuff, like they totally, like you know, pretty much give you the game, like you know cause they like, give you all their expansion packs for like, you know, free and stuff, cause thats how much, you know,  the subscription companies, like you know, are like totally caring and loving and stuff. dude.

NOTE:  I'm assuming that we were trying to lighten the mood of the thread by making silly posts. Otherwise you probably would  have taken note that the OP doesn't have a clue about what the costs of the expansion will end up being, as they haven't even announced an expansion yet.  So yeah, it's fun being silly. Thanks for adding to the thread.