Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 minute match = 2 hours of passive skillpoint gain, and other stupid things about DUST.

adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

They pretty much abandoned the aspects that made EVE appealing.  Skills gaining over time is pretty much nonexistant given the stupidly slow rate of passive acquisition.  Also, combat comes down to someone getting the drop or being a 1337 aimbot.  In other words, the game is going to belong to the regular fps dbags and not mmo players, there's little strategy to facing off against others, and you go down in about 3 seconds as soon as someone spots you. 

It's a shame too, because CCP had a real opportunity to turn the fps on it's head.  They could have made combat last, and be on an epic scale, but so far there's only 2 options, both of them small automatic matchmaking.  Maybe there's corp options, however I doubt they are much better.

I don't get the small scale maps and battles either.  Shouldn't this be like planetside x 1000? 

Too bad.  With my sub for EVE running out soon, I guess this is the end of my short fling with CCP in general.

Comments

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by adam_nox

They pretty much abandoned the aspects that made EVE appealing.  Skills gaining over time is pretty much nonexistant given the stupidly slow rate of passive acquisition.  Also, combat comes down to someone getting the drop or being a 1337 aimbot.  In other words, the game is going to belong to the regular fps dbags and not mmo players, there's little strategy to facing off against others, and you go down in about 3 seconds as soon as someone spots you. 

It's a shame too, because CCP had a real opportunity to turn the fps on it's head.  They could have made combat last, and be on an epic scale, but so far there's only 2 options, both of them small automatic matchmaking.  Maybe there's corp options, however I doubt they are much better.

I don't get the small scale maps and battles either.  Shouldn't this be like planetside x 1000? 

Too bad.  With my sub for EVE running out soon, I guess this is the end of my short fling with CCP in general.

Dust was dead the minute they chose to make it a ps3 only title.  On the other hand if it was on the PC they could have gone with the massive battles and may have had something.  Being as I have a 360 and a brand new pc and not a ps3 means I couldn't play even if I wanted to.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

They are trying to attract people who don't currently play Eve to the Eve universe. To do that, they have to make a game that is pretty far from Eve in terms of mechanics.

** edit **
    I don't get the PS3 only thing. I would have gone with the XBox 360 if I had to go with a console. A PC might have been preferred.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    They should really make this game for the next generation of consoles instead of putting it on PS3. It would be a huge waste putting it on something current gen, especially since the only option for the game is not on PC. 
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    The problems with the game have nothing to do with the ps3.  It's popularity could be hindered by that, but not the design decisions they made.  Look at warhawk and starhawk, far superior fps/wargames.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    The problems with the game have nothing to do with the ps3.  It's popularity could be hindered by that, but not the design decisions they made.  Look at warhawk and starhawk, far superior fps/wargames.

Actually... few EVE players have the time to play on two different platforms and some don't even bother with Dust 514 at all because it isn't worth getting a soon to be last gen console for a decent chunk of cash which if spent on a PC (even a prebuilt one) will net you at least twice the preformance of a PS3.  As is it being a PS3 exclusive killed it and I am willing to bet you a couple of mil isk that they also pretty much enabled aimbot/hacks so the damn thing could work on the PSN network ( donno about the capabilities for low latency data transfers between the PS3 and the game server but I will bet you that they programed the game to do its calculations client side thus allowing for hacking to occur, if they would've stuck with PC they could've gone with Wargaming's system, World of Tanks is many things but hackable is not one of them).

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by treysmooth

Dust was dead the minute they chose to make it a ps3 only title.  On the other hand if it was on the PC they could have gone with the massive battles and may have had something.  Being as I have a 360 and a brand new pc and not a ps3 means I couldn't play even if I wanted to.

Pretty much this ^ 

The game was on many a gamers radar, once the PS3 only thing was announced though most forgot about the game. 

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    Originally posted by lizardbones

They are trying to attract people who don't currently play Eve to the Eve universe. To do that, they have to make a game that is pretty far from Eve in terms of mechanics.

** edit **
    I don't get the PS3 only thing. I would have gone with the XBox 360 if I had to go with a console. A PC might have been preferred.

heard they originally wanted ps3&xbox on common servers but microsoft didn't to be thrown together with sony.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Aison2

heard they originally wanted ps3&xbox on common servers but microsoft didn't to be thrown together with sony.

Not true ,problem with xbox/microsoft  was microsoft would not let CCP be in charge of servers , they want control of servers . CCP moved to sony and TOOK money from sony for  exclusivity 

Dihoru things you said of course reasonable and logical but still misisng the point from original poster ,and it was design problem mainly not which platform  would be better or players would play or not.

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223

Sounds like you just suck at fps. Why would you think that your mmo 'skills' would transfer directly to a FPS game? 

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

DUST doesn't sound exciting enough to make me want to buy a PS3 especially for it.

It's a shame though.

CCP should have developed Eve further rather than make a new game - it would have been fantastic to get out of your ship to explore a station or habitable asteroid.

Oh well, never mind.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

DUST doesn't sound exciting enough to make me want to buy a PS3 especially for it.

It's a shame though.

CCP should have developed Eve further rather than make a new game - it would have been fantastic to get out of your ship to explore a station or habitable asteroid.

Oh well, never mind.

I am sure the population of Dust will mourn your absence for many long and painful months. Have you really just posted the same comment on every Dust thread?

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

2 things. First, if they are making a game for "regular fps dbags and not mmo players" then it's not really a problem. It's not an MMO, why should it be geared towards MMO players?  I think the expectation that this game should be for players of EvE online is causing problems. The thinking seems to be, "CCP is making an EvE-related, but non-EvE game but since they don't seem to be catering to current EvE players, it's no good. That would be fine if CCP were aiming for the current EvE player. But why should they? They already have the current EvE player, playing EvE. If Dust isn't you're cup of tea, fine, but presumably it's someone else's cup of tea.

Secondly, if you like EvE, why would CCP making a non EvE game make you quit EvE?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

They pretty much abandoned the aspects that made EVE appealing.  Skills gaining over time is pretty much nonexistant given the stupidly slow rate of passive acquisition. 

DUST 514 is an FPS and not really an RPG. The majority of your skills gain is going to be actually playing.

Also, combat comes down to someone getting the drop or being a 1337 aimbot. 

If you know of an aimbot being used in this game, definitely report it on the beta forums or email [email protected]

In other words, the game is going to belong to the regular fps dbags and not mmo players,

People looking for an MMORPG probably aren't going to find what they want in DUST 514, however MAG fans and other team-based FPS gamers will probably find a lot of great gaming to be had, especially with the level of customizability there is to both characters and vehicles.

there's little strategy to facing off against others, and you go down in about 3 seconds as soon as someone spots you. 

It sounds like you had a bad experience, and I'm sorry to hear that. In DUST 514, running into the open isn't always the best strategy. Looking for cover, watching your surroundings and keeping in communication (or at least proximity) with your team will greatly increase your survival rate.

It's a shame too, because CCP had a real opportunity to turn the fps on it's head.  They could have made combat last, and be on an epic scale, but so far there's only 2 options, both of them small automatic matchmaking.  Maybe there's corp options, however I doubt they are much better. I don't get the small scale maps and battles either.  Shouldn't this be like planetside x 1000? 

The maps are districts within a larger map. Definitely ask on the DUST 514 forums about the map size. One of the devs or players could explain the reason they are the size they are. Personally, I like the map size. Much larger and you start to be in aposition where you're simply running around looking for people and not really fighting them.

Reading your post history, it doesn't seem you've really been much of a fan of CCP, EVE or DUST 514. You're going to have to put more effort into the sympathy plea because right now it's a hard sell. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I agree with this 1 point.

For a game (a virtual world rather) that is supposed to pride itself in scale and persistence, they probably should've try to outdone PS2 in both persistence and scale, not just trying to be on the same level as CoD or the likes.

Originally posted by ObiClownobi

It's a shame though.

Oh well, never mind.

I am sure the population of Dust will mourn your absence for many long and painful months. Have you really just posted the same comment on every Dust thread?

You make it sound as if DUST is an immensely popular and amazing game - it isn't. Lots of beta testers are saying it's not very good.

One TV review channel said DUST was rubbish comapred to Planetside 2.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Theres a reason Sony have made ps2 pc o.ly and not released it on their own console. Consoles just cant handle large scale persistent pvp like that, they ain't up to the job.
  • ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

They pretty much abandoned the aspects that made EVE appealing.  Skills gaining over time is pretty much nonexistant given the stupidly slow rate of passive acquisition.

There's a hard cap to how much SP you can earn per day through playing games. This balances out the passive skillgain, allowing more casual players to not get too far behind. The boosters raise this cap but also boost the passive skillgain.

It's on the PS3 because CCP wants to extend an olive branch to an entirely new audience for their games - It will eventually come to the PC aswell, but at that point the PS3 players will have 'their' game in the way EVE is the PC players' game.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

To be saying goodbye to CCP and playing because you got owned in Dust514 is no good reason.

It really makes you just look like a bad looser who got killed to much in his first battle.

I could defend Dust more with points about thier design decisions etc  but you have made up your mind, so I wont.

Dust will be popular to fps players.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

OP, keep in mind that DUST 514 supports Mouse & Keyboard. If you were using a controller it's no wonder you got "owned".

Doesn't take an aimbot to pwn a controller noob with M&K. Doesn't even take skill. It's like beating a one-legged guy in a sprint race.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by tom_gore

OP, keep in mind that DUST 514 supports Mouse & Keyboard. If you were using a controller it's no wonder you got "owned".

Doesn't take an aimbot to pwn a controller noob with M&K. Doesn't even take skill. It's like beating a one-legged guy in a sprint race.

This.

And I would like to add to that that I suck at fps games, so even with M/K my kill/death ratio is like LOL bad. But that does not prevent me from having a blast playing this game. Cooperation really pays off in this game, as the players who have already gained much more skill point that me are only having marginally better equipment at thier disposal, so they die just fine if you work together to take them down.

I've decided to buy this game after all.

It will mean spending £250 on a PS3 that I will only ever use for this one game.

It's absolutely crazy, but I hope DUST plays an important part in Eve - I want to support my corp on the ground.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

It will mean spending £250 on a PS3 that I will only ever use for this one game.

It's absolutely crazy, but I hope DUST plays an important part in Eve - I want to support my corp on the ground.

Why not pick up a cheap 2nd hand one from ebay? If you get one with a broken blu-ray player they're like £20-30. Why pay full price for something you only want for a single game?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by Malcanis

Why not pick up a cheap 2nd hand one from ebay? If you get one with a broken blu-ray player they're like £20-30. Why pay full price for something you only want for a single game?

Going point, Mors won't need the drive if he only plays DUST

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Do playstation titles have aimbots?
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    Do playstation titles have aimbots?

I think it can be done, but makes the console crash regularly, also if you are caught the machine is banned from the network forever. More expensive to buy a new console than create a new account.