Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online: Funding Goal REACHED!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

UPDATE: Goblinworks has announced that its Kickstarter program to fund Pathfinder Online has officially funded itself. Donors have raised OVER the stated goal of $1M USD. Congratulations to the Goblinworks team and its investors!

Check out the Pathfinder Online Kickstarter page for more information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    nearly there now..
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    What happens to the money if the goal isn't reached?  Does it go back to the investors, does the kickstarter company keep it, or it just never charged to the customer?  I am guessing Kickstarter doesn't keep it, because that would make you less likely to invest.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• BlueMountainBlueMountain Member UncommonPosts: 147
    ...realllly cutting into my productivity today hitting refresh o so often on the KS page...

To dream, perhaps to be.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by Raventree
    What happens to the money if the goal isn't reached?  Does it go back to the investors, does the kickstarter company keep it, or it just never charged to the customer?  I am guessing Kickstarter doesn't keep it, because that would make you less likely to invest.

You are not charged until the KS ends and the goal is met.  if it is not met you are never charged.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

It's not "charged" yet to any of the backers.  If it doesn't meet the goal, nothing happens. It's all or zero for Goblin Works.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

You don't actually spend money when you pledge, it doesn't work like a deposit.

By pledging, you authorize Amazon to charge you at a point in the future (the end date) if certain requirements are met (the goal is met). If the Kickstarter goal is met, everyone gets charged that day. If the Kickstarter goal is not met, then nothing will happen and the backers will never have been charged in the first place.

It is a bit confusing to newcomers how Kickstarter handles funding.

• BlueMountainBlueMountain Member UncommonPosts: 147

If kickstarter doesn't make it the doners are never charged and no money changes hands.

To dream, perhaps to be.

Different "Crowdfunding" platforms use different funding methods. Kickstarter uses an "All or Nothing" model; so if a project does not reach it's goal: None of the backers are charged. Eg you have: 1. All or Nothing 2. Keep it All

=

Pathfinder Online has some very good sandbox systems & features,more info at: Pathfinder Online Forum

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

open world pvp + not earning your skills = no thanks

time based exp is just silly to me, completely non-immersive with no logic to it whatsoever.  How this can be a foundation of a game is beyond me.  Yes, I know EvE uses it as well.  I just hope this 'feature' goes no further.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

time based exp is just silly to me, completely non-immersive with no logic to it whatsoever.  How this can be a foundation of a game is beyond me.  Yes, I know EvE uses it as well.  I just hope this 'feature' goes no further.

yes, i want to reach max lvl in 3 days, burn all content (shallows instances and pointless battlegrounds) in 1 week and ask for a refund "cause this game sux, there is no content"

There are plenty of games that let you grind out XP so luckily it should be easy to find a game you like.

Many people are looking for a game like this.  That is why they have raised almost $1,000,000 in donations...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    I want my themebox and sandpark dammit!

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

yes, i want to reach max lvl in 3 days, burn all content (shallows instances and pointless battlegrounds) in 1 week and ask for a refund "cause this game sux, there is no content"

what i said has absolutely zero to do with you said.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Perhaps if you labeled it as the Free For All Full Loot Player versus Player Indie Sandbox, you might get more activity, heh?  Maybe the reason why sandboxes haven't done well since their inception is their insistence on putting a large focus on PvP?

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

skills give you nothing directly in PFO. you still need to do stuff to earn abilities that are unlocked by skill training. it's not the same as EVE.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

If you look at www.kicktraq.com you'll see the funding history for the whole funding period (including estimated funding projections).

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I'm not completely sold on this game yet. So after much debate I'm not going to fund it at this time. 

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197

So is it more logical to run to a trainer, spend some money, and automatically know how to use the skill?  At least with offline or time based you can justify it by saying, hey while I'm offline, my dude is studying!

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Latent learning.

Your character does stuff when you're not logged in?

Not sure how you think thats "not logical". 

Hi

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Come on guys, every dollar helps!!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• glimaleiteglimaleite Member Posts: 3
    Come on guys, help if ya can. It would be so sad if they ended up with like 999,998.
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Perhaps if you labeled it as the Free For All Full Loot Player versus Player Indie Sandbox, you might get more activity, heh?  Maybe the reason why sandboxes haven't done well since their inception is their insistence on putting a large focus on PvP?

Maybe because it isn't exactly as you describe?

I really don't get it.  This game will have some PvP.  It will not be anywhere near like Darkfall, but yes there will be some.  They have some pretty significant mechanics to cut down on random ganking.  The "good guys" will have quite an edge.

If you are one of thos people that just cannot stand the mere thought that another player might someday attack you, then you would be wise to skip the game.   On the otherhand if you are looking for a deep sandbox where PvP is one of many facets that will makeup teh society then this is probably the game you have been waiting years for.  Luckily, there are plenty of games with no PvP or purely E-Sport PvP if that is your thing so feel free to enjoy them!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Exactly.  The only successful pvp games, for example DAoC, have had significant pve areas, you went into pvp areas by choice.  The pvp everywhere choice has not worked to this point.  Even UO was a far more successful game after the pve areas were added.  I much prefer a sandbox, but I really won't support one that has no significant pve areas any more. 

This statement is typical of the three blind mice syndrome: "They have some pretty significant mechanics to cut down on random ganking.  The "good guys" will have quite an edge".  

Salem was supposed to have a strong anti ganking ruleset and yet, it only took the gankers a little while before they easily got around those rules.  You can wear blinders all you want, but the facts are obvious to anyone.

Personally I am amazed that a developer can't figure that fact out.

Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I'm not completely sold on this game yet. So after much debate I'm not going to fund it at this time. 

Fire away, and I'll see if Pathfinder Online can sell to you instead then?