Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This looks like a scam. Read and decide for yourself.

Comments

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Maybe it's my age but I've had a few friends who for whatever reason were seriously challenged when it came to speaking truthfully a former band mate was one of my favorites,  this guy would in less than a second spout out that "we" were in negotiations with def Jam records when we hadn't even cut a demo yet and it was often made worse by him immediately asking the person he was lying to to "ask Kris" if you don't believe me.

Now the issue here is Jason sounds just like most of the people I've known who are compulsive liars what people should understand is that these people are not the same "kind" of liars as con men because they more often than not either believe the hype or want to believe the hype they spew and that is what I atleast hope is the case with this guy because after reading many of the links I can say that ninety percent of what he wants to do is not going to happen the only hope is that he isnt going to try and find some way to line his own pockets before the whells come off.

Ok and after researching some of the businesses he speaks about none seem to be anything running currently the mma site seems to not have been updated since 2006 and ironically he is listed as a fighter in some digital card game which means likely the entire idea is just him and some amateur fighters creating a loose federation.  The record company has no reviews nor products or services listed and the number i found for it is disconnected.

The problem then becomes why should people believe this guy capable of creating a lasting business entity now?

And I really ask this question directly of Jason (since he has graced us with his presence) When you have not seemed to be involved in a successful business venture yet why ask fans to throw away hard earned cash just so you can play "business leader"?

• MogusMogus Member Posts: 169

Not all of my efforts have been successful, but I have found success in most, but lets put a lot of this to rest in one post, shall we?

Well, my magazine was founded in 2001 and after 2 issues, we had the Cincinnati Riots. A lot of businesses folded and nobody could afford advertising. It was an 8.5 x5 in entertainment rag back when there was only city beat. I decided to pull out and not continue at that time.

The record label was Opulent Records. I started in band booking for many bands, then moved into management and ended up forming Opulent Records. My first signing was Extra Blue Kind. We released their debut album The Tide And The Undertow with some decent success. I got them on MTV2, Much Music and 35 other Video Networks. We did two music videos, one for my favorite song on the album, Pinch Blink, Stay Alive and another for Make Yourself Useless.  We charted them on the Top 20 Add Charts on College Radio, Top 200 Rotation and some Commercial Air (if any of you have any experience in the music industry you'll know getting commercial spins is very expensive). EBK opened for bands like Creed, Stone Temple Pilots and others. We then began working on their follow up album where we recorded 3 songs with two of the countries top producer Ray Martin and Junior Sanchez.  We never Officially released these 3 songs because the band struggled with keep a guitar player while on the road full time touring to build up their fan base as I was working with several major labels to pick up from where we were. Due to the conflicts within the band, after all that we had accomplished, the band decided to go different ways and I didn't hold them to their contract. So I released the 3 songs we did in New York along with some live tracks online only under my other company which can be found here.

After all of this, I decided to get out of the music business because it was just too risky as anything could happen and the longer you work with a band, the higher the liklihood of something going wrong and sending everything into the crapper.

At that time I was 305lbs at 7ft tall and borderline Diabetic and needed to lose weight. So I joined an MMA fight team. I trained in BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai and Wrestling for about 6 months and dropped to 270lbs. Well, in the course of training the team went to a couple of MMA events in other cities and I realized there was nothing like it in Cincinnati. So I began the MMA Big Show. The first Pro/Am promotion in the region. Promoters were only promoting amateur fights at the time as Pro fights were too expensive. My first event was MMA Big Show: RESPECT November of 2006.

Since then, I promoted the top Pro/Am events in the region and am to this day the only Pro/Am Fight Promoter to broadcast a live 2 hour special on national television. MMA Big Show: ALL OR NOTHING

I have developed the careers of many fighters from amateur up to UFC such as Roger Bowling, Mojo Horne etc.

I took a break from MMA altogether after so many promoters began to flood the market and spread the fan base thin which caused me to have to cut down in production. I felt, if you can't do it right, don't do it. But, we are looking at potentially getting another 4 shows a year scheduled this year for old times sake now that things have died down a bit. I did finally fight myself before going on break and won my fight in 35 seconds by TKO.

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Not that I'm for or against this whole Greed Monger thing, but this dude has been open since Day One about who he is and what he's accomplished in the past. He's had it all out there to see on LinkedIn, forum replies and various other places. He's been upfront about what he's looking to do and what he's accomplsihed in the past, and you guys are still riding him hard about it.

On the flip side, when some dipshit and his two friends decide they're going to make the next ultimate feature-filled sandbox and they cite nothing more for their credentials than either a laundry list of every company that ever worked with the company they worked at or "we've been gaming for 20 years" the crowd here will tear apart anyone that says anything negative about their ability to finish their project.  Excuse me... there was one exception. Citadel of Sorcery. Possibly because "We have teh Sekrit Sauce" is a hard pill to swallow for even the blindest of fanbois.

Maybe Mogus knows game development or maybe he doesn't. His list of successes in the past shows that he does know how to bring the right people together to make something happen. Of all the things to jump on the Greed Monger team for, Mogus' ability to organize, manage and promote is the most ridiculous.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Originally posted by taus01

Please don't get me wrong, i am not bashing this game. How could i, since there is really no game just a few pictures and videos made with default assets and demo projects of both Unity and Hero Engine.

Seriously, this person took the kickstarter money and bought Unity licenses, Unity Assets and hired random people through forums.

Nothing wrong with that BUT NOW they change to Hero engine so all these Assets and the money are wasted.

That's why he is looking to sell more land and make a new Kickstarter Campaign. How can people take this serious?

I am just genuinely in shock how people can give money to something like this?

Get on the greed monger forums and read up. He is trying to make the game so that it will be the most enjoyable. Not all companies are greedy money hungry beasts who put out eye candy with no content just to draw subs or sales. He wants a MMO that gamers enjoy. After much debate, and discussion with the GREED MONGER community it was decided to go with Hero. It had the best options for what he is trying to achieve. Do you build games? Well he is trying, I think all these new guys getting into the market need all the assitance they can get, because I for one cant take another garbage like GW2 or SWTOR. I want new ideas, and new games to come out.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Not that I'm for or against this whole Greed Monger thing, but this dude has been open since Day One about who he is and what he's accomplished in the past. He's had it all out there to see on LinkedIn, forum replies and various other places. He's been upfront about what he's looking to do and what he's accomplsihed in the past, and you guys are still riding him hard about it.

On the flip side, when some dipshit and his two friends decide they're going to make the next ultimate feature-filled sandbox and they cite nothing more for their credentials than either a laundry list of every company that ever worked with the company they worked at or "we've been gaming for 20 years" the crowd here will tear apart anyone that says anything negative about their ability to finish their project.  Excuse me... there was one exception. Citadel of Sorcery. Possibly because "We have teh Sekrit Sauce" is a hard pill to swallow for even the blindest of fanbois.

Maybe Mogus knows game development or maybe he doesn't. His list of successes in the past shows that he does know how to bring the right people together to make something happen. Of all the things to jump on the Greed Monger team for, Mogus' ability to organize, manage and promote is the most ridiculous.

I thank him for his honesty in this post and i hope this cleared things up as to the succes of his so called businesses calling himself an entrepreneur when in fact none of it was successful by his own admission.

The thing is that he made it sound like he had a successful magazine, Record label and fight promotion. 

Linked in he says and i Quote: "As the Owner of Opulent Records Music I was responsible for developing the careers of bands by coordinating their live performances, radio promotion, music video production and promotion, recording, public relations, marketing and distribution."

Here we are talking about BANDS, plural. He just admitted it was one college band.

There is a difference if you go public and say: "I owned a record label", when in fact all you did was know a college band that was played in the local radio station and you made a webpage that looks like a record label but does not even have an Artist Roster.

There is a difference in saying: "I created an entertainment magazine", when in fact you planned on printing a "8.5 x5 in entertainment rag back" that never got printed or distributed anywhere.

And all this Promoter business sounds more like he knew these guys from his gym days and is now passing it off as if he made them into stars. nothing of that holds any credibility.

As i said before, people can draw their own conclusions, this is just my opinion.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Originally posted by boris20

Please don't get me wrong, i am not bashing this game. How could i, since there is really no game just a few pictures and videos made with default assets and demo projects of both Unity and Hero Engine.

Seriously, this person took the kickstarter money and bought Unity licenses, Unity Assets and hired random people through forums.

Nothing wrong with that BUT NOW they change to Hero engine so all these Assets and the money are wasted.

That's why he is looking to sell more land and make a new Kickstarter Campaign. How can people take this serious?

I am just genuinely in shock how people can give money to something like this?

Get on the greed monger forums and read up. He is trying to make the game so that it will be the most enjoyable. Not all companies are greedy money hungry beasts who put out eye candy with no content just to draw subs or sales. He wants a MMO that gamers enjoy. After much debate, and discussion with the GREED MONGER community it was decided to go with Hero. It had the best options for what he is trying to achieve. Do you build games? Well he is trying, I think all these new guys getting into the market need all the assitance they can get, because I for one cant take another garbage like GW2 or SWTOR. I want new ideas, and new games to come out.

People are desperate for a good game, i understand that. I feel the same way about the industry, there needs to be a change and more ambitious game designs.

I am not questioning his intend to make the game, hell, i think he genuinely believes he can do it as much as he believes he owned a successful record label, a magazine, was a fight promoter, ran a network of websites, distributed male enhancement pills and was trying to run for governor of Ohio.

Which just now in a few posts back he said where not successful and in fact did not do any of it for real, he just tried to do it or planned to.

You know, you can not go public with stuff like that, because assholes like me come out of the woodwork and ask weird questions. It's the way things work on the internet, the information want's to flow, it needs to flow!

For me this all sounds bizzare to say the least. If you are happy giving this person your money, then you are free to do so. I am not telling you what to do.

As for the change from Unity to Hero and the complete lack of understanding for netcode, server architecture and game design, i think that it's pretty clear from the interview that he has no skills other than being a gamer, which all of us are or we would nto be here posting.

Well, the reason I say that the people who are constantly trying to stir up a mess have an agenda with ulterior motives is because, this has all been presented numerous times in various places, but it's often ignored as it doesnt support the accusations made by these people.

I've never scammed anyone in my life. I have no reason to lie to anybody. But if you are pissed about something, be it, you weren't hired onto the team, you were banned from the forums by a mod, or whatever, then it's easier to simply link to old threads created based on unsupported assumptions and accusations as if to add some kind of crediability to your bogus and unsupported claims.

It is rediculous for sure. I see so many people claim that the aggression on these forums stems from passion for the genre. However, from what I've seen, the people with passion for the genre are actively working towards supporting new efforts instead of constantly trying to tear them down. And I dont just mean me or Greed Monger. It's a plague of aggression focused towards people who are striving to achieve things in a very difficult industry. It's always easy to play armchair quarterback, especially when left anonymous and not having to be accountable for the things you say. Such is the way of life on discussion forums. What I've found is that those who point the fingers are often the ones with the most to hide.

I've never once claimed to be a game developer or the end all be all. What I am is a gamer and a business man. I want Greed Monger to be the game I've longed to play for over a decade. It may not be what everyone wants and things will certainly change as we make further progress to our goals, but I also check with my community who I value a great deal and get their feedback and ideas before making any major decisions. What I do affects everyone involved and I know that I owe them that respect and consideration. Those who do nothing but bash, insult, toss around false accusations just because they apparently have nothing better to do simply don't merit my respect let alone time. I've done nothing to any of them but make efforts to achieve things they apparently weren't able to. Normally I would joking say "Don't hate the player, hate the game" but in this case I can only say, "Don't hate, appreciate."

I dunno, some of it I take as a joke because it's the same thing posted on a different date, linking to the same old forum to try and achieve the same goal. My take on it is, the difference between me and someone who hasn't gotten as far as I have in my goals to create an MMO is, I would never sit around bashing someone who is able to achieve more than I have. I would either learn how to support them while learning what I can on the way, or simply learn how to do it myself. But, it's easier to destroy than to build and not everyone is cut out for it.

www.greedmonger.com

I thank him for his honesty in this post and i hope this cleared things up as to the succes of his so called businesses calling himself an entrepreneur when in fact none of it was successful by his own admission.

Now this is what I have a problem with. The constant twisting of my words. I never said none of my businesses weren't successful. Only one, which was the magazine, flopped.

The thing is that he made it sound like he had a successful magazine, Record label and fight promotion. 

There is a difference if you go public and say: "I owned a record label", when in fact all you did was know a college band that was played in the local radio station and you made a webpage that looks like a record label but does not even have an Artist Roster.

I sold albums, I took a band from small bars to major openings for major bands. Charted them nationally on college radio. Got them national recognition on television video networks. Got 3 songs recorded with 2 of the countries top producers. Senior A&R at most major labels took my calls and flew out to shows for me. I could go on. Just because I didn't have a roster of artists doesnt mean I wasn't successful. I did my part.

There is a difference in saying: "I created an entertainment magazine", when in fact you planned on printing a "8.5 x5 in entertainment rag back" that never got printed or distributed anywhere.

Again, more assumptions not supported by any facts. Over 20,000 issues of each of the two issues were printed and distributed through out the Cincinnati, Tri-State area.

And all this Promoter business sounds more like he knew these guys from his gym days and is now passing it off as if he made them into stars. nothing of that holds any credibility.

You're hilarious. My promotion would sell out 1,550 seats at a $45 ticket avg with about $15,000 to $25,000 in costs. You do the math. I did a show roughly every 6 weeks and this doesnt include sponsorships. How exactly do you define success? I ran the largest and most respected Pro/Am promotion in the country for 6 years. I'm assuming since you don't consider that successful, you are a self made billionaire. I'd love for you to teach me how to do better.

Oh, I forgot your last assumption. Mojo Horne and I knew eachother when we bounced in bars together when we were 18. When I signed him to management, he was still fighting on small shows as an amateur. Roger was an amateur just starting out. I have worked with others as well. Yes, I am responsible for their rise through MMA. I booked their fights, marketed their fights on a local and national level. I put them on local and national television and so on until ultimately signing them to other organizations. Check Roger Bowlings Strikeforce contracts and you'll find my signatures on them. Seriously, I'm done acknowledging youre nonsense.

As i said before, people can draw their own conclusions, this is just my opinion.

www.greedmonger.com

image image Yes, I'm still a Freemason.

www.greedmonger.com

Originally posted by Mogus

Well, the reason I say that the people who are constantly trying to stir up a mess have an agenda with ulterior motives is because, this has all been presented numerous times in various places, but it's often ignored as it doesnt support the accusations made by these people.

All i listed where facts stated by yourself on various sites. With links so everyone can read up on your original posts and information. People can draw their own conclusions.

I've never scammed anyone in my life. I have no reason to lie to anybody. But if you are pissed about something, be it, you weren't hired onto the team, you were banned from the forums by a mod, or whatever, then it's easier to simply link to old threads created based on unsupported assumptions and accusations as if to add some kind of crediability to your bogus and unsupported claims.

I won't take it personal that you try to make it sound like i had something to do with your business and i was banned from your forum or did not get on your "team". Nothing could be further form the truth

I just heard of this project the first time 6 days ago, i did some research as i usually do when i think about supporting a business and found all these inconsistencies. That is when i posted. I have no intention to be on your team nor did i ever sign up for your forums. I was a Senior Manager for SONY for the last 15 years and i am now semi-retired and invest in games and other internet ventures.

You attack me personal but i fail to see any unsupported claims other than that i think you are not truthful and i have backed it up with links that clearly support this. Everyone can read up and see how you say on LinkedIn you managed multiple bands when in fact you just said you "signed" 1 band to your "label". Just one example of many of the claims you made that turned out to be not true.

It is rediculous for sure. I see so many people claim that the aggression on these forums stems from passion for the genre. However, from what I've seen, the people with passion for the genre are actively working towards supporting new efforts instead of constantly trying to tear them down. And I dont just mean me or Greed Monger. It's a plague of aggression focused towards people who are striving to achieve things in a very difficult industry. It's always easy to play armchair quarterback, especially when left anonymous and not having to be accountable for the things you say. Such is the way of life on discussion forums. What I've found is that those who point the fingers are often the ones with the most to hide.

I've never once claimed to be a game developer or the end all be all. What I am is a gamer and a business man. I want Greed Monger to be the game I've longed to play for over a decade. It may not be what everyone wants and things will certainly change as we make further progress to our goals, but I also check with my community who I value a great deal and get their feedback and ideas before making any major decisions. What I do affects everyone involved and I know that I owe them that respect and consideration. Those who do nothing but bash, insult, toss around false accusations just because they apparently have nothing better to do simply don't merit my respect let alone time. I've done nothing to any of them but make efforts to achieve things they apparently weren't able to. Normally I would joking say "Don't hate the player, hate the game" but in this case I can only say, "Don't hate, appreciate."

I dunno, some of it I take as a joke because it's the same thing posted on a different date, linking to the same old forum to try and achieve the same goal. My take on it is, the difference between me and someone who hasn't gotten as far as I have in my goals to create an MMO is, I would never sit around bashing someone who is able to achieve more than I have. I would either learn how to support them while learning what I can on the way, or simply learn how to do it myself. But, it's easier to destroy than to build and not everyone is cut out for it.

I said it before, i am not bashing you or your efforts to make a game. I think you do really believe you can do this and that might stem from the fact that you are a little bit unrealistic when it comes to your abilities. But hey, some people rise above the challange, i have seen it happen and i do wish you the best with your project.

I also have to say that for me, from an investors point of view, especially with the recent second attempt at a money grab and the gross missmanagement of the  first Kickstarter funds, i have to say this does look like a scam or at least like someone way in over his head.

Good luck Mr. Appleton

PS: I am sorry i don't know anything about this fighting business, i am blissfully oblivious about things like that because i sincerely don't give a rats ass about it. You could be Hulk Hogan or any other testosterone filled meatbag in latex pants, I'd still think you have no business in the gaming industry, even more so...

I'm not personally attacking you, not everything I say in my posts are directed at you personally. I don't even know you. What I know of you, is that you like to take things I say and literally make up your own conclusions as you say, full with your own made up facts etc and it seems to never end.

You just made a statement as to the mismanagement of funds for the game. Explain to me what I've mis managed and how. You don't know anything about what I've spent, what we've done, who I've paid or how much. You just assume so much. So much in fact is makes me believe your efforts in investing in anything probably fall short because all of the wealthy investors I know are very detail oriented. You seem to like to just make up whatever isn't readily apparent which is really bad when it comes to any kind of investment interest. Probably something you should remedy before investing much else anywhere. Just saying.

I've had over $20,000 in additional funds offered to me since the KS campaign ended, of which I have turned down because it's not needed and the KS campaign is over. But the demand has been so high that I've been telling everyone we may host a follow up campaign for those late to the game. I don't HAVE to have another KS campaign, I could just accept whats offered now and be done with it. However, KS offers some additional coverage and marketing elements to our efforts that will be helpful once we have reached the point of Alpha testing.

Any other assumptions you'd like to make?

www.greedmonger.com

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Wow. What a great read that touches on so many topics that interest me: MMOs, KS promotions, music, MMA...even weight loss...

I've been very skeptical about KS promotions and the danger of just wasting money on pie in the sky projects since I started seeing this new trend a while back. I don't even get excited when developers of old programs I played and loved (Elite) use it to partially fund new ventures: just like there's no guarantee a new producer will produce shit, there's also no guarantee that those who did it before can do it again. Crowdfunding is just a new way to raise venture capital that a new crowd, MMOers, with some disposable income has discovered. What boggles MY mind is that people here, apparently blinded by appeal of popular catch phrases like "sandbox" and "what I would have liked UO to have become," ignore the basic fact that this is highly speculative investment hardly different from penny stock traded in small stock exchanges. Think of it as investing in mining exploration: you'll lose your money most of the time but every now and then...

I think you can all safely assume that 99% of KS MMO projects will not produce the next big MMO. Heck most won't see the light of day no matter how much you want this to not be so. But hey, can't blame people from trying and dreaming...

I've read all of this thread, followed the links, watched the videos and sorry, OP, I don't see a scammer, I see a dreamer, an enterpreneur. Scammers are always much more guarded with their comments. Secrecy is their MO. What I see in Jason is a straight-forward and open guy with, perhaps little focus, who keeps trying to produce things that interests him. And he has had some modest success doing those things before moving on to the next.

Will he succeed with Greed Monger? Who knows. There are all kinds of projects that get highlighted in this site that never amount to much. Some of those even seem to have everything going for them and then they go poof... sort like what happened to Curt Schilling and Kingdoms of Amalur.

So he has political aspirations, has tried his hand at publishing, music and MMA promoting, mortgage brokering and now MMOs... this is all out there for everyone to see. Personally, I would find revealing so much about my own dreams and aspirations embarrasing...but that's just me: I lean towards introversion. He obviously doesn't. That's cool. But I do know I find nothing alarming about the breadth of his interests. I am also interested in many of those same things and also many more. Aren't we all?

I bet if the OP spends his time researching and displaying the electronic footprint of any enterpreneur in the MMO or any other field, we'd see profiles that read almost exactly like Jason's. There are programmers, there are artists, there are game and content developers... and then there are the people who try to bring them all together and make something. Are they all experienced and have proven track records of success within the MMO field? Obviously not. Mistakes are made...minds are changed... some succeed and others don't.

Time will tell what happens with Greed Monger. I'm willing to wait and see. But then, I'm not an investor in this or any other KS project. I'll live without my guaranteed plots of lands or castles in my own island named after my mother... I just play the games when they're ready.

I wish Jason all the luck in the world with his game. If it's not a POS, chances are I'll buy it at some point just like I buy and try many others.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I am not a fan of the core concepts of this game and will not be buying it, but I think Jason has answered in an open and decent manner and the attack on him here as an individual is looking ever more desperate and grasping.

The sniping guerilla tactics we are seeing here are somewhat dissapointing.

Originally posted by Iselin

Wow. What a great read that touches on so many topics that interest me: MMOs, KS promotions, music, MMA...even weight loss...

I've been very skeptical about KS promotions and the danger of just wasting money on pie in the sky projects since I started seeing this new trend a while back. I don't even get excited when developers of old programs I played and loved (Elite) use it to partially fund new ventures: just like there's no guarantee a new producer will produce shit, there's also no guarantee that those who did it before can do it again. Crowdfunding is just a new way to raise venture capital that a new crowd, MMOers, with some disposable income has discovered. What boggles MY mind is that people here, apparently blinded by appeal of popular catch phrases like "sandbox" and "what I would have liked UO to have become," ignore the basic fact that this is highly speculative investment hardly different from penny stock traded in small stock exchanges. Think of it as investing in mining exploration: you'll lose your money most of the time but every now and then...

I think you can all safely assume that 99% of KS MMO projects will not produce the next big MMO. Heck most won't see the light of day no matter how much you want this to not be so. But hey, can't blame people from trying and dreaming...

I've read all of this thread, followed the links, watched the videos and sorry, OP, I don't see a scammer, I see a dreamer, an enterpreneur. Scammers are always much more guarded with their comments. Secrecy is their MO. What I see in Jason is a straight-forward and open guy with, perhaps little focus, who keeps trying to produce things that interests him. And he has had some modest success doing those things before moving on to the next.

Will he succeed with Greed Monger? Who knows. There are all kinds of projects that get highlighted in this site that never amount to much. Some of those even seem to have everything going for them and then they go poof... sort like what happened to Curt Schilling and Kingdoms of Amalur.

So he has political aspirations, has tried his hand at publishing, music and MMA promoting, mortgage brokering and now MMOs... this is all out there for everyone to see. Personally, I would find revealing so much about my own dreams and aspirations embarrasing...but that's just me: I lean towards introversion. He obviously doesn't. That's cool. But I do know I find nothing alarming about the breadth of his interests. I am also interested in many of those same things and also many more. Aren't we all?

I bet if the OP spends his time researching and displaying the electronic footprint of any enterpreneur in the MMO or any other field, we'd see profiles that read almost exactly like Jason's. There are programmers, there are artists, there are game and content developers... and then there are the people who try to bring them all together and make something. Are they all experienced and have proven track records of success within the MMO field? Obviously not. Mistakes are made...minds are changed... some succeed and others don't.

Time will tell what happens with Greed Monger. I'm willing to wait and see. But then, I'm not an investor in this or any other KS project. I'll live without my guaranteed plots of lands or castles in my own island named after my mother... I just play the games when they're ready.

I wish Jason all the luck in the world with his game. If it's not a POS, chances are I'll buy it at some point just like I buy and try many others.

The most intelligent, fair and well written post I've seen related to the topic.

Thank you.

I can't argue with anything you've said honestly. I am a dreamer. Have been since selling flavored tooth picks in grade school because we weren't allowed to have gum. Just been my nature all my life. I do however see things through and though I've dabbled in many things, when I walk away, if I walk away, I've at least left my mark in a positive way on the industry I'm in. Greed Monger will be completed, though I know it's going to be an uphill battle.

www.greedmonger.com

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Iselin

The most intelligent, fair and well written post I've seen related to the topic.

Iselin does that whole intelligent and fair thing often. I think he's just trying to be different. image

Ise, I kid! I kid! :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Since I've been diving into my own history online, I've been finding things relating to my fight that's been interesting to watch again.

Now, you should all know right up front that though you would expect everything to be top notch because the owner of the company was handling everything and all of the video, production etc should be HUGE, in fact, in order to fight with a promoters license, I had to go to Indiana and wasn't allowed to do much of anything in terms of the business or promotion of the event. But we got through it. It was VERY stressful having to prepare for a fight while watching the show develop from the sidelines. lol

Actual fight video.  You may want to skip ahead a couple of minutes because Kirk had to clip his nails. haha

image Old fight team photo from way back. Can you find me? hahimageMe, Roger, TJ and Greg.

www.greedmonger.com

Originally posted by Vesavius

I am not a fan of the core concepts of this game and will not be buying it, but I think Jason has answered in an open and decent manner and the attack on him here as an individual is looking ever more desperate and grasping.

No one is attacking this guy personally. All i did was present evidence of what looks to me like a scam. Especially since now he announced he will go back on his initial Kickstarter promise and sell even more parcels to raise more money because the initial funds are spent on now obsolete Unity engine licenses and Assets.

This is clearly a breach of trust to those that backed him on his promises on Kickstarter.

I would go so far as to say it is an attempt at a scam similar to a ponzi scheme, since he tries to raise more money to fulfill the first investors promises.

If i where an investor that was promised these parcels sales where a one off and exclusive just to find out a few months later that the project runs out of money and they sell more, i would be angry.

Who says he won't do this over and over again until finally even the last idiot realizes he got scammed?

No one is attacking this guy personally. All i did was present evidence of what looks to me like a scam. Especially since now he announced he will go back on his initial Kickstarter promise and sell even more parcels to raise more money because the initial funds are spent on now obsolete Unity engine licenses and Assets.

This is clearly a breach of trust to those that backed him on his promises on Kickstarter.

I would go so far as to say it is an attempt at a scam similar to a ponzi scheme, since he tries to raise more money to fulfill the first investors promises.

If i where an investor that was promised these parcels sales where a one off and exclusive just to find out a few months later that the project runs out of money and they sell more, i would be angry.

Whos says he won't do this over and over again until finally even the last idiot realizes he got scammed?

Seriously, do you only read what you post yourself? Your posts simply don't even make sense. Had you read my responses, you would realize how mixed up you are. Either that, or you're just continuing to grasp at straws to make some vield point. Either way, you're just wasting everyones time now.

www.greedmonger.com

• MisatoTremorMisatoTremor Member UncommonPosts: 72

I honestly hope that you can achieve this Jason. I see that you have the will and are trying to get together people who can do this with you!

But from the glimpse record you've given, I get the impression that you are the type of person that sometimes give up fast when problems occur. The recent switch of the games engine seems to support this.

I'm normally not the type to bash someone I don't really know like that, but I get a bad feeling about how this will turn out. Please believe me that I hope that you'll prove me wrong on this, but I won't be a believer until this really happens.

Misato - TankDoc for Life

Whos says he won't do this over and over again until finally even the last idiot realizes he got scammed?

Seriously, do you only read what you post yourself? Your posts simply don't even make sense. Had you read my responses, you would realize how mixed up you are. Either that, or you're just continuing to grasp at straws to make some vield point. Either way, you're just wasting everyones time now.

Are you saying you do not sell more parcels and plan another Kickstarter for funding? Because that is what you posted here on the forums:

December Updates: Parcels Doubled, April goals, Cloud servers, 2nd Kickstarter

Thats a big straw i am grasping right there don't you think?

• JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595

Who says he won't do this over and over again until finally even the last idiot realizes he got scammed?

Last I checked we hadn't even come close to using all of the money we got. Yes we bought 2 Unity4 licenses which are now being wasted with this change to HeroEngine. Jason bought a license for himself and for me as part of my Pay. Like I have said in the past but you decided to ignore was that the assets we bought are in no way specific to Unity3D. They are general FBX files. We are able to import them into our 3d package of choice (3dsmax or Maya which our 3d artists ALREADY have) and then export them to Hero's format. It's not a big deal and WON'T be money going to waste!

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Originally posted by JamesP

Last I checked we hadn't even come close to using all of the money we got. Yes we bought 2 Unity4 licenses which are now being wasted with this change to HeroEngine. Jason bought a license for himself and for me as part of my Pay. Like I have said in the past but you decided to ignore was that the assets we bought are in no way specific to Unity3D. They are general FBX files. We are able to import them into our 3d package of choice (3dsmax or Maya which our 3d artists ALREADY have) and then export them to Hero's format. It's not a big deal and WON'T be money going to waste!

Then why a second Kickstarter and the as of yet not denied item shop that was also promised not to be in the game initially?

In any case, i made up my mind and won't be supporting this game financially and i am also not interested in an online casino based on land ownership like Project Entropia. Pyramid scheme games are not my type of thing.

I am done here. I voiced my concerns and Mr. Appleton has shown again that he is making stuff up whenever it fits his agenda ( linked in says he managed numerous bands while he admits here he managed one ).

This thread is done. Good luck to you as developers, i hope you get paid and make a sucessful game.

The switch to Hero wasn't an overnight decision. It's been a long time coming. My lead developer has been pushing me  to make the swtich early on, however, in our original discussions with Hero, our business model without a subscription wasn't going to work for their rev share. Since then, we got a general approval from the backers that a $10 sub would be ok, which re-opened the doors to Hero.

Very little of what we have done in the Unity engine is dead. Meaning, the vast majority of our work and assets up to this point will be fine in Hero. Some things are being exported into different formats to be used in Hero, and some code will need to be redone, but for the most part we aren't losing much and what we do lose, is being made up for as some of it comes stock in the Hero Engine.

www.greedmonger.com

We haven't confirmed or denied anything yet because we haven't made those decisions 100%.

As of right now, NOTHING has changed but the engine. There aren't any additional Kickstarter campaigns scheduled. We have been bringing up topics of discussion to get feedback from those with an ACTUAL interest in the game. No decisions have been made on any of it yet.

And even thought I'm making this 100% clear, right here, you are still going to post whatever the hell you want regardless so why bother? lol

www.greedmonger.com

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

i would stop discussing, and close this thread and every other one too.

those threads about mr appleton are really not presenting him in the best light, i have to admit, but i can understand him. he is someone who has a lot of different ideas and want them to be realized with him as some kind of creative lead. he is doing something, what other people just think, me included. why do you have to be a graduated game designer to make a good game? i guess it would help avoiding a lot of failures he certainly make, but in the end, what counts is, that he bring a good team together and keep the money coming in.

we will see if its successful, i would hope so, because its always good to see someone being successful with just a dream. a lot of good things started this way.

i am more afraid, that he isnt continueos enough to realize it, he does a lot of idea hopping in his life. you can never do 1000 things and be successful with all of them, you ave to concentrate. making mistakes, learning out of it, fall down, stand up. in the end, there should be anything very sucessful, idealy.

so when making games is your thing mr appleton, keep doing it till you are successful. it will be a hard way, but why not?

i dont back you but i will keep an eye on this game. my opinion is, it will be just average, but maybe the next game will be good and the next great?!

good luck and dont waste other peoples money

This discussion has been closed.