Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter early 2013 release, realistic?

mattidoremattidore Member Posts: 31

They want an early 2013 release, and by early I'm quessing they mean Q1? (Q2+ isn't imo, "early") so they want to release it by march, april in the latest, but they still haven't even started closed beta.

Is an early 2013 release realistic, or are they really pushing for time?

Comments

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123
    depends man, some games do closed betas, and open betas for months.   games like archeage, for years. other games, differnt aspects are tested in beta and might last only 2 - 4 weeks.  a game like neverminter?  release in 8-12 weeks might be possible.
  • mattidoremattidore Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Legere
    depends man, some games do closed betas, and open betas for months.   games like archeage, for years. other games, differnt aspects are tested in beta and might last only 2 - 4 weeks.  a game like neverminter?  release in 8-12 weeks might be possible.

what exactly do you mean by "a game like neverwinter"? What aspects of NW allows it to have a shorter CB period than other games?

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by mattidore

what exactly do you mean by "a game like neverwinter"? What aspects of NW allows it to have a shorter CB period than other games?

not to put this game down by any means, but for example - they have only 5 classes - compared to how many of WoW? also - i see it as much more linear e.g. oblivion rather than WoW.. you follow a story, scripted.. rather than open world vs whatever..especially something new like gw2

i think its much easier to plan and script and get it right first time round.. so betas are more there for server staility testing and misc bugs compared to balancing issues and development reasons

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Depends on how polished it is when beta starts. If they've gotten most everything handled in Alpha there's no need for a lengthy beta. Only time will tell.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

not to put this game down by any means, but for example - they have only 5 classes - compared to how many of WoW? also - i see it as much more linear e.g. oblivion rather than WoW.. you follow a story, scripted.. rather than open world vs whatever..especially something new like gw2

i think its much easier to plan and script and get it right first time round.. so betas are more there for server staility testing and misc bugs compared to balancing issues and development reasons

ahhh i see, i see. I haven't really looked into the game myself, as it only just started to get my attention. I hope it isn't TOO similar to GW2, I was a huge fanboy and felt kinda let down by it. Oh well, guess i'll just have to wait, hopefully cb is soon.

Also, devs mentioned they'll be phasing in people throughout the duration of CB, sounds lengthy to me.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    What we should all want is a late release. That way you will get a better game.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by Scot
    What we should all want is a late release. That way you will get a better game.

Agree.  I would rather have full content well polished game no matter how long the wait.  

I seldom stay in games after beta, I want to check them out but they feel like they lack to much content for serious play.  I usually favorite f2p games that were p2p because they're fixed up better.  The only down side is the company might see going f2p as down sizing instead of upgrading and stop supporting the game with any seriousness.  

Best game I ever played was f2p from the start but I left that game a 100 times before finally coming back to stay.  I hate waiting for content updates far more than waiting for game release.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    It's Cryptic.  Their whole philosophy is to churn out games rapidly, lol.
    On another note, do you guys reckon PWE is gonna fuck up Neverwinter? LIke they usually god with all their games?
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    I have high hopes in this game, let's pray they do not botch the amazing setting they have in their hands. 

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• kage71kage71 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    On another note, do you guys reckon PWE is gonna fuck up Neverwinter? LIke they usually god with all their games?

Hmm not with Wizards of the Coast and R.A. Salvatore backing this game up, this is not just a game PWE can just screw over.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Considering how F2P releases tend to work, I'm guessing there will be just open/semi open beta around march/april that may or may not last for 2-3 months till the "official" release. With some F2P titles it's really hard to notice the switch from Beta to release version without following the news since the moment open beta starts everyone treats like release anyway. 
  • RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    Originally posted by kage71

Hmm not with Wizards of the Coast and R.A. Salvatore backing this game up, this is not just a game PWE can just screw over.

Does the game have anything about D&D franchise? It's an honest question because i have no clue. D&D deserve a hell of a good product imo, by pure respect if anything else.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by redcapp
    It's Cryptic.  Their whole philosophy is to churn out games rapidly, lol.

This.

Their big marketing point when selling hemselves to Atari was the ability to churn out games quickly and relatively cheaply with cash shops firmly in place(Which is pretty standard now for everyone it seems).I'm sure Atari sold them with the saem spiel to PWI too.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by Requiamer

Does the game have anything about D&D franchise? It's an honest question because i have no clue. D&D deserve a hell of a good product imo, by pure respect if anything else.

I am watching both Neverwinter  Pathfinder Online and I think that Pathfinder will likely end up closer to a true D&D experience.  The Pathfinder game is an offshoot of D&D and they are building a sandbox game.  I will probably play both but am most excited by Pathfinder.

Their Kickstarter for PFO  ends today so check it out if it sounds interesting.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

I'm personally hoping for a mid-may beta with a june or july relase. Otherwise, I may not finish my thesis and graduate...

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    TSW, SWTOR, GW2 all had only a few months of beta.  STO had a similar timeframe for beta.  They stated early 2013 which Q1 is way too early what with open beta not even gone yet nor any info given out yet.  Q2 might be a possibility.  Chances are the'll update their anticipated launch when they annonce beta this month and start marketing their game.
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I am watching both Neverwinter  Pathfinder Online and I think that Pathfinder will likely end up closer to a true D&D experience.  The Pathfinder game is an offshoot of D&D and they are building a sandbox game.  I will probably play both but am most excited by Pathfinder.

Their Kickstarter for PFO  ends today so check it out if it sounds interesting.

Really thats comparing apples and oranges.

Neverwinter has the foundry for UGC and the setting will by far fulfill the D&D experiance in terms of a story and an adventure.  Yes linear experiance but to those that like to play D&D for the story and such that is what D&D is.

Pathfinder from the sounds of things is all bout freedom yet there is no way for players to tell a story through created NPCs and such.  Likely a great sandbox game and the openess of choices but lacks story telling tools like the foundry system but has the freedom that PnP has.  But all this is talk by the developers of Pathfinder Online.  I'll believe them when I see a working product and not promises like sooo many promises that previous MMOs also sang and fell flat on their faces in delivering it.

Neverwinter and Pathfinder Online presents extremes imo in D&D.  Those that like the experiance of the lore and story and being the hero vs those that want freedom of choices and actions.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

LOL

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

Yes it does. I am a pnp player who was hooked to 3e then transferred to 4e. With all the criticism it felt wierd to try 4e but one person in our group was very adamant because he was old and never liked 3e to older editions.

ANyways, not veering off the topic, over time I started to understand 4e and liked it. Then I came to know this game based on FR side by side and followed it patiently for 2 years.

A few things I am confident is, the game is very strongly based on 4e mechanics. Although you may not dodge by the roll of dice, but the dodge's reaction time etc. will be determined by it - making it easier for rogue to didge while very tough for someone with armor and low points in mobility.

Secondly, the art/story/lore is all done by WotC and is canon unlike previous D&D games. Check D&D digital on youtube - enough said. Even color of eyes, height of a monster are heavily debated.

Lastly, don't listen to what others or me is saying. Check out the info yourself. Its all there. Ask specific questions when in doubt and remember - haters and fans of anything and everything ould always cloud the real facts. You gotta reach beyond that foggy area and grab the real facts.

EDIT:

Oh! And if in doubt about lore, check my stickyed thread on official forums "Lore Info" in Art & fiction sub-section. It answers n00bish questions only like why are tieflings, genasi, dragonborn not rare - or what spellplague did to various stuff - but if you have advanced questions, you can always ask there.

• FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254

60 minutes of gameplay:

http://de.twitch.tv/bahagamecrazy/b/330318909

http://de.twitch.tv/bahagamecrazy/b/330315691

Looks terrible, more like a lobby game with many, many solo instances.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by mmprime

60 minutes of gameplay:

The examples of gameplay I have seen are disheartening. Why is it that every MMO game with D&D on it must be super action based to the detriment of player RP elements?

This D&D! If any game should have a world to live in it should be a D&D game that accomplishes this. I like action combat, but this game looks like a console game.  

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

60 minutes of gameplay:

I can't see anything just hear voices. But the fact it is 50% instanced and 50% open world should be well known by now.

There are vast open world areas, and vast instances also.

That is what D&D is - how else you can carry on a story seperately for different adventurers at the same time?

If it is about looks, graphics, it is as much as a computer can support.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

60 minutes of gameplay:

Phantasy Star Online 2 is going to be a lobby game with many, many (solo) instances, but it is a terrific game.

Also, Guild Wars was a lobby game with many, many (solo) instances.

Do you see what I am getting at?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Forgive my ignorance of terminology, but what is a lobby game?

Does it mean it is only in rooms and no fighting outside rooms? - That is not true as many videos clearly show combat in non-instanced and outside zones.

Does it mean a game which already has fans rooting for it? - Being a FR game, and a D&D that is a given.