Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The Current State of MMO's"

As the title suggests this thread is about the current state of mmo gaming. After reading through countless hours of threads, the general theme seems to be why game x sucks. As it also occurs to me, there are more then ample posts dipicting peoples loss of interest in the genre as a whole. Some, even, went as far as to say that recent MMO's fail because of a lack of enginuity. Well I say we could do better. I say we, the gamming community, could in-fact create an rpg that can be shared by all with an epic lore, septuple phase boss fights that last for longer then the usual time, and a great method for which to deliver both story and challenge. Best of all, we as a community could do it with out falling prey to the common short commings of our predisessors.  

So... if you could make an MMO how would you do it and why?

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Current MMOs are fine. It's all the process of evolution. The strong survive, while the weak are weeded out. Let nature take its course, and enjoy the show.
  • DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by g4m3sh4rk

As the title suggests this thread is about the current state of mmo gaming. After reading through countless hours of threads, the general theme seems to be why game x sucks. As it also occurs to me, there are more then ample posts dipicting peoples loss of interest in the genre as a whole. Some, even, went as far as to say that recent MMO's fail because of a lack of enginuity. Well I say we could do better. I say we, the gamming community, could in-fact create an rpg that can be shared by all with an epic lore, septuple phase boss fights that last for longer then the usual time, and a great method for which to deliver both story and challenge. Best of all, we as a community could do it with out falling prey to the common short commings of our predisessors.  

Epic lore? Boss fights?? Story??? Challenge????

BEGONE, HERETIC! GIVE US A BOX OF SAND WITH NOTHING IN IT SO PLAYERS MAKE THEIR OWN CONTENTNRRRGARGHLEBLARGLE

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Current state of MMOs? Terrible. It's sad that the only game to capture my interest is a top-view diablo-like game that was created by a small indy dev team: Path of Exile.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I would take Planetside 2, mix it with Chivalry, Add a Star Wars Skin, and then add a Foundry like Neverwinter for PvE content.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • g4m3sh4rkg4m3sh4rk Member Posts: 40

Heh, I like a lot of your posts. Even the narsty ones are actually helpful. Honestly ,I have to say that I would agree with a comment I'd read on another thread that we are just different people now then what we used to be. That amazment factor we'd felt playing something truely unique for its time is gone now never to return. Instead we look forward to that next big push that brings back those astonishing feelings. 

To answer my own question. I'd do what green suggestion break off bits n pieces here of different games based on a scale of what worked.. and polish it off really nice. 

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

I would make DAoC 2.

- Take DAoC as it was before ToA, add good graphics and a good engine that supports huge fights.

- B2P with a cosmetic cash shop.

- Keep the trinity

- Change the combat to something like GW2s (casting while moving, no /stick)

- Change the skill system to something like GW1s

- Add more open world bosses (some in the RvR zones, some in PvE)

- DF

- Make the item system more interesting (D2/D3 has the best item system IMO - NO RMAH/AH though)

- no crazy classes this time (warlocks, necros, bds, animists etc) 

- give us the choice between RvR and FFA PvP servers

- Add sandbox elements. building/destroying keeps, player run towns etc

- Keep the realm rank system as it was

- NO instances / NO instanced dungeons/raids/bgs/arenas. 

- Leveling should be done as it was done in vanilla daoc. NO questing. NO "random events"

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• g4m3sh4rkg4m3sh4rk Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by boxsnd

I would make DAoC 2.

- Take DAoC as it was before ToA, add good graphics and a good engine that supports huge fights.

- Keep the trinity

- DF

- Make the item system more interesting (D2/D3 has the best item system IMO - NO RMAH/AH though)

- Leveling should be done as it was done in vanilla daoc. NO questing. NO "random events"

I can get behing a lot of that and say YES! but the last two concern me a LOT. I tend to lean more toward the PVE aspect of gaming, so having no dungeons or raids would make me cringe a little. If you could go more in depth here, maybe help me understand what I'm not seeing that would be awesome. I did EQOA leveling where we just grinded the same spots and I swear after my first end game character I said to hell with doing that EVER again. I like getting xp for everything I do crafting exploring question I love dynamic events but I think it should be more like rift in the aspect that you can go to certain locations with a group or by yourself and complete and event that you can trigger. 

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by boxsnd

I would make DAoC 2.

- Keep the trinity

- DF

I can get behing a lot of that and say YES! but the last two concern me a LOT. I tend to lean more toward the PVE aspect of gaming, so having no dungeons or raids would make me cringe a little. If you could go more in depth here, maybe help me understand what I'm not seeing that would be awesome. I did EQOA leveling where we just grinded the same spots and I swear after my first end game character I said to hell with doing that EVER again. I like getting xp for everything I do crafting exploring question I love dynamic events but I think it should be more like rift in the aspect that you can go to certain locations with a group or by yourself and complete and event that you can trigger. 

There would be dungeons, but not instanced.

There would be raids but not instanced: open world bosses, raid dungeons(not intanced), DF bosses

Leveling in daoc may seem boring but it was very social. We could just make it faster to get to max level. Also you would be able to level in PvP battlegrounds (not instanced) but it would be slower than PvE.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

LOL ..we don't create anything. We are just shooting breeze on an internet forum. And people have different preferences on games.

I know some here do develop games, but they are the very minorities, and so far, none has produced even a small, working MMO.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    i think considering how many MMO's have gone F2P cause they were hemoriging subs, and loosing money speaks volumes on the state of MMO gaming, how many MMO's didn't flop last year ?
    Originally posted by Dampyre
    i think considering how many MMO's have gone F2P cause they were hemoriging subs, and loosing money speaks volumes on the state of MMO gaming, how many MMO's didn't flop last year ?

And yet as a market, F2P MMOs are making more and more money .. already taking the lion share compared to subs.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227

I think the current state of MMO's and video games in general is just fine.

The MMO community doesn't know what it wants out of a game. Every year new buzzwords emerge, and suddenly the community wants more of that. Two years ago it was story this and story that. Last year it was dynamic this and dynamic that. In this community, it's sandbox this and virtual world that.

Every year they follow the newest trends and ride the hypetrain to vastly overinflated expectations. If the MMO community were to make a game, it would be in development limbo for the next two decades and would be the most unfocused, inconsistent experience ever. I emphatically vote, "fuck no" for crowdsourcing the MMO community to make a game.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

Yep F2P is deffinately financially viable and ya it has reserected MMO's that many thought destined to shut down. But if your game is going F2P like SWTOR* , TERA, The secret world , this soon after release especially when you launched with a subcripttion model, those are games that failed that thanks to F2P get a second chance.  If any of those games had failed before DDO onine showed everyone F2P can save your game, they would all be gone.

* i know its fremium with velvet ropes etc.

• OrenshiiOrenshii Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Current MMOs are fine. It's all the process of evolution. The strong survive, while the weak are weeded out. Let nature take its course, and enjoy the show.

the laws on the lands dont apply when you find un-natural way to break them. weaklings are surviving at

astronomical rates,cops keep the strong at bay and keep the weak protected. meanwhile the weak retailiate

and the strong end up dying out to un-natural causes. the GUN would be one prime example of this. Is it the

law of the land, if you walk outside and a 6 year blows your brains out? yeah...pretty sure  strength has

nothing to do with that.  also inherited money cause create power to were the weak can buy their way out of

anything, but a physical matter.

and the reason all the great games are dying out is "HELLO!" we have played them to death. and the reason

modern crap games are making so much money is people are blissfully stupid, and will sit infront of

televisions watching "reality" tv all day. those people are now on the internet and being lead around like the

nice little lemmings they are. meanwhile ask any real vet gamer, not some "clicher" and they will tell you the

same as most do here.  MMO were better, the graphics werent as rich but the compainionship and teamwork

and adventure were there. games like UO,FF11,Everquest,SWG,D2 vanillaWOW and asherons call are all

games of the past. and even after 15 years alot of these games are going, meanwhile your f2p modern crap

games are dying off after 1-2 years. seems to me if their time had passed then they wouldnt be around

anymore would they? did eq1 just release a new update not too long ago? Pretty sure wow released a

panda update too.

The world is changing. in my days only people who talked on the phone all day were 14 year old girls. Now days

everyone runs around like a 14 year old girl on their phones.  people spend their lives on facebook, when anyone

who was at all cool spent very little time online, unless for gaming or research. Now middleaged men and women

blab on facebook like tweens at a boyband concert.

Survival of the fittest? *Sticks tongue out*   <-- and thats a emote! ...

O

Destiny has cheated me
    By forcing me to decide upon
    The woman that I idolise
    Or the hands of an automaton

Without these hands I can't complete
    The opera that was captivating her
    But if I keep them, and she marries him
    Then he probably won't want me dating her

Originally posted by Dampyre

Yep F2P is deffinately financially viable and ya it has reserected MMO's that many thought destined to shut down. But if your game is going F2P like SWTOR* , TERA, The secret world , this soon after release especially when you launched with a subcripttion model, those are games that failed that thanks to F2P get a second chance.  If any of those games had failed before DDO onine showed everyone F2P can save your game, they would all be gone.

* i know its fremium with velvet ropes etc.

That is the point .. you don't need a "your game" anymore. It is more like you gameS when there are so many to choose from.

I highly doubt if one would run out of things to play in the future.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Orenshii

the laws on the lands dont apply when you find un-natural way to break them. weaklings are surviving at

astronomical rates,cops keep the strong at bay and keep the weak protected. meanwhile the weak retailiate

and the strong end up dying out to un-natural causes. the GUN would be one prime example of this. Is it the

law of the land, if you walk outside and a 6 year blows your brains out? yeah...pretty sure  strength has

nothing to do with that.  also inherited money cause create power to were the weak can buy their way out of

and the reason all the great games are dying out is "HELLO!" we have played them to death. and the reason

modern crap games are making so much money is people are blissfully stupid, and will sit infront of

televisions watching "reality" tv all day. those people are now on the internet and being lead around like the

nice little lemmings they are. meanwhile ask any real vet gamer, not some "clicher" and they will tell you the

same as most do here.  MMO were better, the graphics werent as rich but the compainionship and teamwork

and adventure were there. games like UO,FF11,Everquest,SWG,D2 vanillaWOW and asherons call are all

games of the past. and even after 15 years alot of these games are going, meanwhile your f2p modern crap

games are dying off after 1-2 years. seems to me if their time had passed then they wouldnt be around

anymore would they? did eq1 just release a new update not too long ago? Pretty sure wow released a

panda update too.

The world is changing. in my days only people who talked on the phone all day were 14 year old girls. Now days

everyone runs around like a 14 year old girl on their phones.  people spend their lives on facebook, when anyone

who was at all cool spent very little time online, unless for gaming or research. Now middleaged men and women

O

What the fuck are you talking about?

• KazlinKazlin Member UncommonPosts: 124

The current state of MMO's ? = Fail to many games worry about the journey and not about what you do at endgame this is getting a little out of hand.

If devs would focus a little more on endgame it wouldnt be so bad  i dont know how much money i have wasted on bad MMO's that have been relesed in the last 9 years . If they went back  to the drawing board of old days they could see it works. Eq is still today the Best MMo ever made WoW is just awfull so easy it ruined the genre as far as the gameing side of things it opened a nitch market of gameing to the casual players.

Vanguard was another great MMo filled with content from coast to coast so much to do and still has the biggest seemless world out of any MMO. Yes it had its problems at launch but the new Dev team is makeing strides in the right direction.

Rift wasnt a bad game it has alot of good ideas rolled all into one.

Everquest 2 was fun but they messed up the classes instead of keeping things from EQ1 the same they split 1 class into two seperate ones in EQ2 the raids were fun the adition of Epic weapons were great and time consuming.

GW2 again focused on story getting there the dungeons are fun but the game lacks something something is really missing.

SWTOR Focused on story and it was great but now everyone stands around twiddling there thumbs  trying to figure out whats left to do.

So many MMO's have gone twords the casual route and its sad we all grow up and have less time to play some of thease games nowadays where the 6 hour raids are gone and no where to be found if im in a raid that takes 3 hours thats fine i dont mind i have grown up with the industry and i have a familly of my own now but that shouldnt change the way the games are made nowadays. If im up till 3 AM raiding and i gotta work at 7 am its fine by me becuse im actually doing something i have always enjoyed in MMO's.

The problem is now everyone wants instant gratification they dont wanna work hard for anything and if you think collecting dungeon or raid marks to get gear is tiresome and time consuming or even hard your fooling yourself how about raiding 30 zones each with a seperate peice of gear you need or spending 6 month to a year on a epic weapon that when your done actually means something to you because you worked hard and long to get that item not like today where gear is handed to you on a silver platter. Sure we dont have to have 140 man raids anymore but 24 is fine and should be left at that and make it so hard that only the players good enough to get the items deserve them if you whine whell ill never get the items then  thats not anyones fault but your own you have the choice to go and do them  but you choose not to to take the easy way out.

I have not found a better MMo in 13 years then Eq was its not the same game anymore  if it was i would still be enjoying my time there. You can call me a elitist jerk or hardcore gamer thats fine i dont care . Im just sick and tired spending money on games wasting time and clearing all the content in a week because its to easy or there is not enough content to keep us busy . If devs went the route i talked about they would hold onto subs for months and not everyone unsub after the first month because they did everything.

Im sorry if you dont agree with me but this is how i feel and have felt the last 9 or 10 years.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

That's not really true at all though. The MMO industry has become rather stagnant barring a few exceptions.

The reason for this is the investors; everyone knows they want a slice of the WoW subs so they always push devs to emulate WoW with a few extra inconsequential features. The investors are too damned greedy and too damned scared to support anything vastly different which is why the industry really ISN'T evolving at all lately. They also try to make the games have as wide an appeal as possible which means none of the different player types are fully satisfied with the features on offer (hence they all leave so soon after launch).

The only real evolution has been a general shift towards the F2P business model but I think most would agree that's actually the result of so many subscription games failing to be profitable (in turn the result of said games being sub-par).

• AesowhreapAesowhreap Member Posts: 78
    The more games the better. I don't play MMO. I play Mmorpg. But, I think the evolution is way behind, and fail we must be full of it. One example is ample game control skill like asdf has been and gone, we need controller built more specific to pc games even if its only for one game at a time.

Best Regards, ...

• OrenshiiOrenshii Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    Originally posted by Orenshii

panda update too.

O

What the fuck are you talking about

The kids classes are over there *Points*

O

Destiny has cheated me
    By forcing me to decide upon
    The woman that I idolise
    Or the hands of an automaton

Without these hands I can't complete
    The opera that was captivating her
    But if I keep them, and she marries him
    Then he probably won't want me dating her

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I say we, the gamming community, could in-fact create an rpg that can be shared by all with an epic lore, septuple phase boss fights that last for longer then the usual time, and a great method for which to deliver both story and challenge. Best of all, we as a community could do it with out falling prey to the common short commings of our predisessors. 

Sounds like an excellent idea. I'm in. Put together a feature set that you all agree on and ping me when that's done.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TickleMeHomoTickleMeHomo Member Posts: 28
    Current state is awfull/Not enough sci fi mmos/space explorations,not enough turn based mmos,not enough games with VAST open world to actually explore and remove these maps and radars from games its easy mode.Thats the state atm.
  • ibn_Cartwellibn_Cartwell Member Posts: 47

I'd take Asheron's Call 1 lore, physics and developer imput, and add in Wurm Onlines terra-forming and crafting, put on a new graphics engine!

edit: most important part, something like NeuroSky!! Ditch the keyboard and mouse, have brain wave imput and verbal commands/chatting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQWBfCg91CU

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by ibn_Cartwell

I'd take Asheron's Call 1 lore, physics and developer imput, and add in Wurm Onlines terra-forming and crafting, put on a new graphics engine!

AC1 with terraforming would be an amazing experiment. I wonder how many people would spend countless hours just making things to jump off of. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre