Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO with lots of crafting

GengeleGengele Member Posts: 9

I made a threat a while ago but the lack of response makes me think I failed to properly voice what it is I wanted.

Payment method doesn't matter as long as you can not purchase ingame advantages (that aren't cosmetic) by real currency.

I want lots of crafting, one game that I really enjoyed was runescape where you had 20 some skills to polish and master and everything in the game could be crafted, pretty much anyway. I feel that the game today is dated however, the graphics are poor and the game isn't running well due to the poor choice of a java platform.

I'm just sick and tired of the constant combat grind in every MMO these days where all you do is fight, fight, fight. Even in a game like Tera where the combat is excellent, it's just not enough. 

I just think there should exist atleast one game where crafting, trading etc is the central point of the game. If you know about it, let me know.

Comments

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Wurm Online 

A tale in the desert

Both do not have great graphic, but both are crafting orientated. ATITD does not even have combat.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Fallen Earth had lots of crafting starting with knives and bandages and ending with rifles, motorbikes and interceptors. Haven't played after it went f2p though so I don't know what this game is like these days.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Well old SWG was best.

Now, Age of Wushu may not be too bad (everything is player created) - there is an exp cap on how much you can gain in each crafting field per day though.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    EVE Online also has a little bit of crafting :)
  • GengeleGengele Member Posts: 9

There seems to be alot of talk about Age of Wushu, I looked at some gameplay photage and it looks like your avarage korean or chinese MMO, but perhaps looks can decieve after all. Can you tell me abit more about the crafting system in this game? How are resources gathered?

A Tale in the Desert looks like the poor mans choice but I see there is a 24 hour test-period, so I'll check it out.

Wurm Online looks interesting aswell, I'll try it out.

There is one thing that worries me a little, I once tried a game called Darkfall, which was rather nice, but the lack of a player base made the game feel pointless and empty. Do these games have people playing them? Because if not, it really doesn't feel like an MMO to me.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Xsyon is nearly all about crafting..

http://www.xsyon.com/content.php

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Ryzom. real fun crafting system.
    Originally posted by Gengele

There seems to be alot of talk about Age of Wushu, I looked at some gameplay photage and it looks like your avarage korean or chinese MMO, but perhaps looks can decieve after all. Can you tell me abit more about the crafting system in this game? How are resources gathered?

A Tale in the Desert looks like the poor mans choice but I see there is a 24 hour test-period, so I'll check it out.

There is one thing that worries me a little, I once tried a game called Darkfall, which was rather nice, but the lack of a player base made the game feel pointless and empty. Do these games have people playing them? Because if not, it really doesn't feel like an MMO to me.

Age of Wushu appears like that, because it is a game created by Chinese set in their Croutching Tiger Hidden Dragon / Hero world. The game is very populated atm. You can select my Life Mode, which just displays all your life skills instead of combat in the UI.

The game has 5 collection skills, that you can use all of Mining, Hunting (meat/skins), Farming, Woodcutting, and Fishing :)

There are then 6 manufacturing skills, of which you can have 1 at a time: Tailor, Cook, Poison, Herbalist, Blacksmith, Craftsman.

There are four culture skills, can use 1, musician, painter, calligraphy, and a chinese board game player.

You can also become a divinator or a beggar (lol this one is harsh, you get backhanded by players if they reject you...).

You can collect most all resources with your 5 collection skills, but for picking up medicine herbs/poison plants you need to be an Poison Maker / Herbalist. Resource nodes go away, for a time period, if another player uses it, and they seem to have a semi-random spawns in certain areas of the map. A cook has a ton of recipes (switched to that after poison), and the Farming collection skill has a bunch of processes you learn to turn your wheat and plants into something more usable.

I've only lvled most of my life skills up pass the first stage, still pretty new to this game.

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430

In Age of Wushu some of the material is gathered by you from the landscape. Other stuff you will need another player with a different production craft to make it. Take a quick peek at GrayKodiaks excellent crafting guide. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/373588 

Originally posted by Sal1

In Age of Wushu some of the material is gathered by you from the landscape. Other stuff you will need another player with a different production craft to make it. Take a quick peek at GrayKodiaks excellent crafting guide. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/373588 

Nice, I'll have to check that out, will probably learn something new.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

Vanguard : Saga of Heroes used to have a nice crafting system. It allows you to level up in the crafting sphere. In order words, to ride a level 50 mount to you could either progress in Diplomacy, Adventuring or Crafting to ride it.

A minigame which forced you to make a decision before hand. Go for a steady Grade B outcome or go for some Grade A outcomes and a couple of faillures.

As you can only pick one craft, you needed a friend (or auction house) to make certain items. Best example is a ship. You need boards from a carpenter, fittings from a blacksmith and cloth from a tailor. A house would need bricks from a stonemason, boards from the carpenter, etc.

For weapon you had also nice options. You could infuse wood with a certain attribute like Strength or + Mana regen and then make the weapon you desire.

By completing work-orders (crafting quests) you can earn xp and reputation. There are 3 crafting styles based on the 3 continents and in the end you can master them all. All you have to do is earn enough rep with said Crafting guild.

Dunno how much has changed when it went FTP, but I have some good memories from it.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

besides game already named (wurm, atitd, vanguard, ryzom, xsyon) you could also check:

asheron call 2

ff XIV

haven & hearth / salem

istaria

maybe eq2 (it has good crafting, but drops are superior)

• panchanpanchan Member Posts: 18
    when you say "Lots of Crafting" is it something like crafting for quest? for money? or for your own item/consumables?
    When I say crafting I mainly mean things other than combat that you can work on. Being able to craft stuff for my own benefit is good, being able to craft stuff for other players to trade with is even better. Being able to craft stuff that NPC's sell isn't that interesting.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

There are no well-populated mmo's with a heavy focus on crafting right now.  Eve would be the closest you will get, but it's very much a love-it-or-hate-it kind of game.

You make me like charity

Yeah I didn't like EVE much, there is just no joy in exploring that world for me. It just feels like numbers and backdrops to me, no soul.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Benedikt

besides game already named (wurm, atitd, vanguard, ryzom, xsyon) you could also check:

asheron call 2

ff XIV

haven & hearth / salem

istaria

maybe eq2 (it has good crafting, but drops are superior)

Good list.  Covers everything I'd have mentioned and more.

I hadn't heard about crafting in FFXIV.  Cool info, thanks.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • JameeeJameee Member Posts: 1

there is a new mmorpg I saw called Krafties, which i played for a while.  the thing i like most is that you can actually make a profit without spending a dime.

http://krafties.com

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Fallen Earth had lots of crafting starting with knives and bandages and ending with rifles, motorbikes and interceptors. Haven't played after it went f2p though so I don't know what this game is like these days.

Was about to say the same... I think Fallen Earth is *THE* crafting MMO out there. I returned to FE during the xmas holidays and am still enjoying it. Limitations for F2P users are very few. They have slower XP gain and can only queue a max of 3 recipes in craft (vs 20/30 for subscribers).

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

EQ2 has tons of crafting, in fact you have actual crafting quests to get titles like master armor smith, master weapon smith. some crafting quests give you crafting schematics and books you cant get any where else.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I jsut downloaded this a couple of days ago and it is really doing pretty welll....I was expecting a dead Fallout 3 type of game but its alot better than I thought it would be and the crafting is top notch.....I'd highly recommend this game....ALso has a prett yhealthy population.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Reizla

Was about to say the same... I think Fallen Earth is *THE* crafting MMO out there. I returned to FE during the xmas holidays and am still enjoying it. Limitations for F2P users are very few. They have slower XP gain and can only queue a max of 3 recipes in craft (vs 20/30 for subscribers).

The problem with FE (and nearly every other obscure MMo listed here) is that they have no real population to speak of.  The populations you do get are usually bottom-heavy with the free players looking for something new to kick around for a few hours or days, before moving on.

You make me like charity

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Eve
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    vanguard and eq2 are the best crafting systems i have seen in a game,my favourite being vanguard
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by Reizla

I have to totally disagree with this game having good crafting,while the items you can make are good and useful,the crafting process is totally lame.all it is is mats click and wait,thats it.