Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

been a while...

BACONXBACONX Member UncommonPosts: 253

I need an MMO. Bear in mind, I have played a lot of them. Rift, Eq2, LOTRO, EVE, ect. I know that recently this game went F2P. F2P scares me. I just recently logged onto LOTRO for the hell of it and the nickel and dime tactics overwhelmed me plus it didn't seem to call out to me anymore. So, I need an MMO to engross myself with. Is The Secret World a good game and is their F2P model bearable? I'm not really looking for critque as much as I'm asking if this is a pleasurable way to kill time? BTW, I'm also considering STO and need to decide between the two, if any people here know about the comparison.

Comments

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by BACONX

I need an MMO. Bear in mind, I have played a lot of them. Rift, Eq2, LOTRO, EVE, ect. I know that recently this game went F2P. F2P scares me. I just recently logged onto LOTRO for the hell of it and the nickel and dime tactics overwhelmed me plus it didn't seem to call out to me anymore. So, I need an MMO to engross myself with. Is The Secret World a good game and is their F2P model bearable? I'm not really looking for critque as much as I'm asking if this is a pleasurable way to kill time? BTW, I'm also considering STO and need to decide between the two, if any people here know about the comparison.

Hey there -- TSW is B2P, so the initial game is $30, but you get the entire game for life after that.  You will pay for DLC packs as the game releases them.  

The item shop is mostly limited to pets and cosmetic clothes.  It's pretty inconspicuous -- you definitely are not "nickel and dimed" by the game to buy stuff (well, except maybe just ads on the launcher, but easily ignored).

imho, the game is great, but here's a good review that matches pretty much where I stand on it: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/  Investigation Missions are the big stand out.  PvP is a work in progress, some people don't like the animations, and character models are mixed.

You might ask for a 24-hour buddy key if you want to try it out before purchasing.  There's a thread here.

• Gr3nd3LGr3nd3L Member Posts: 3

You're slightly off the mark here.  What you're describing is a standard free to play model, where you download the game for free, and play for free, but they nickel and dime you on access to areas, dungeons, gear, features, etc.

That's not what happened with TSW, they didn't go F2P.  They switched to a B2P model.  It isn't free, you still have to buy the game to play it.  You just don't have to spend money on a monthly subscription to continue playing it after your purchase now.  And so, none of those nickel and dime features you disliked are present here.  There will be content packs coming out on a monthly basis that will have to be purchased if you want access to them, similar to what you see with games like Borderlands and Fallout.  Typically packs of story driven missions/quests.  But you won't have to pay fo have access to any of the features or content outside of those content packs, of which there is currently only one (a mission chain regarding the story of Tyler Freeborn).

As for the game itself, it lends itself very well to casual, laid back pace, taking the time to soak in the atmosphere and story presented, which are both excellent.  Very good for killing time.

I haven't played STO, and so have no opinion on it.  But it does have a standard F2P model, though I know no details.

• BACONXBACONX Member UncommonPosts: 253

Wow, I'm amazed at how the story sucks you in. I just started yesterday and I quickly became enaged. I like this game so far, I just need to understand the skills a little better. I chose assualt rifle but does that mean I should keep applyin AP points as far as I can in Assualt rifle or should I throw in some more weapons? Either way, I'm glad I ave this a try.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Wow, I'm amazed at how the story sucks you in. I just started yesterday and I quickly became enaged. I like this game so far, I just need to understand the skills a little better. I chose assualt rifle but does that mean I should keep applyin AP points as far as I can in Assualt rifle or should I throw in some more weapons? Either way, I'm glad I ave this a try.

The Skill wheel meta game is the best part of TSW in my opinion. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

I suggest picking two weapons (so assault rifle and something else) and spending AP on them first.  Also keep your talismans (major and minor) leveled up to.  Once you have completed that you will be strong in those areas and can then begin to branch out into other weapons/combos.