Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I am really enjoying GW2

2»

Comments

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by GXRranger
    Come back and update the thread when you hit 80.  I would like to see if you changed your mind on the game any.

In a way the game for me really started to be fun when i hit 80. Now i cant pull myself till 3-4 am from WvW (bad because i ave to get p at 7.30 for work ;P ) for almost a month now, and that didnt happen since...hmmm...L2 (a long long time).

I didnt do a single dungeon, so i still have those to go through. I only have one craft skill to 400, and i want those too.

So ya, however you turn it, (if you care about that) i did get my moneys worth, and after a long time i can say i find a game more beautiful (graphically as a package technical+art) than LOTRO (was L2 before that), and thats certanly 1 thing that has kept me in those games for a long time (L2+ years, LOTRO i still play on and off when thers new content).

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by mistersalty1
    theres no end game. once you hit 80 theres nothing to do. dont expect anything different than what you did in the starter zone all the way up to 80. WvW is just a big zergfest. game is bad.

There's Dungeons, FOTM, SPvP, Torunaments, WvWvW, Exploring, Crafting, Farming, Achievements,Jumping Puzzles, mini games, 5 Races, 8 Classes, 30 Stories.

There is endgame, you're to blind to see it. Please don't spread your false information.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    theres no end game. once you hit 80 theres nothing to do. dont expect anything different than what you did in the starter zone all the way up to 80. WvW is just a big zergfest. game is bad.

There's Dungeons, FOTM, SPvP, Torunaments, WvWvW, Exploring, Crafting, Farming, Achievements,Jumping Puzzles, mini games, 5 Races, 8 Classes, 30 Stories.

There is endgame, you're to blind to see it. Please don't spread your false information.

I think he meant vertical progression. At this pace I wouldn't be suprised to see vertical progression in the future.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

I think he meant vertical progression. At this pace I wouldn't be suprised to see vertical progression in the future.

Why should you be surprised when ANet has specifically said there will be vertical progression at 80?

Reddit AMA by ANet

"So to the question of vertical progression. So as we know there is already vertical progression in the game and we do intend to keep moving forward with this philosophy."

"I think it's important for GW2 to be able to have this kind of gradual progression."

Whether the verical progression is a 'gear grind' or not is up to each one's subjective opinion.

I am a technical kind of guy (I see things in black and white) so this to me is a gear grind because there are better gear.

ANet doesn't think so; 'there is better gear but the diff is not enough to be a gear grind'

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I disagree that there is nothing to do at level 80. I find structured PvP very fun. I can see myself playing that for ages. For me that's main thing to do at max level. Also I can farm for cool item skins in PvE. You can also level up a new character or try WvW. So there is stuff to do at max level unless you're bored with the game. Besides I think they will expand on this in the future as they can now focus on endgame content. The leveling content seems to take ages to design... GW1 had a lot of things to do at max level.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Really?, have you ever played WxWxW with 2 or 3, 10 men groups , organizated?, i think a lot of people just come here to troll but they have no clue about the game.

If you dont like the game its OK, but flame about nothing on these foruns its not fine.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422
    theres no end game. once you hit 80 theres nothing to do. dont expect anything different than what you did in the starter zone all the way up to 80. 

That's excellent news since I've been enjoying myself from the starter zone!

I would hate it if suddenly I was forced to run the same stale dungeon over and over again.

It's nice that a game is enjoyable from the beginning, I'm just sorry that so many hardcore themepark MMOers have been conditioned to think that no game is fun until endgame.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Have you actually played the game or just repeating what blind haters do?

That is all it seems to me - play the game and find out for yourself. Don't be a parrot and just repeat things others who haven't played the game say.

Maybe you want stale 20 man raids with have been done ad nauseum in many games.

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

I have 3 level 80s.

I have 4 professions at 400.

I have world completion.

Yes, I agree that there is limited amount of worthwhile things to do at level 80. And I have played the game since pre release -3. I have about 1000 game hours invested.

PVE and Story: Once you have 1 level 80 everything is repetitive. Building alts is enjoyable, but the content is a repeat and unless you love doing the same thing over and over it gets old. Leveling is very fast - perhaps too fast?

WVW: I am on a server in tier 1 (top 3 wvw servers in NA) and yes - it is a zerg fest. Over the weekend I got my monthly done via follow a zerg from tower to tower, capture them, but then immediately leave (enemy re-claims). Rinse and repeat. WVW gets old and its the same every single week. Players are smart enough to see that the benefit of winning a match is just about zero - especially since the orbs were removed - and that its bette from an earnings perspective to simply flip/re-flip castles and towers and POCs. Holding this stuff nets you nothing. Flipping it every hour gets you pockets of silver, karma, etc. Its become a joke really.

sPVP is an acquired taste given you go in, your toon abilities are tossed and a cookie cutter applied to attempt to balance the matches etc. Not into that - I worked hard for my gear, abilities, etc. and to be downgraded to a cookie cutter - not for me.

Orr and other high level zones are near ghost towns even on high pop servers. You will find clusters of players farming a DE or 2 over and over (the camp corridor being the most blatent example in Cursed Shores) but overall Orr is such a drag that seldom do people venture out of their DE farming. This has gotten a lot worse since FOTM came out.

FOTM - flawed design. Everyone is on a different level, no incentive to re-run lower levels than what you are on so its harder and harder to find groups as you progress. Its not at all inclusive. No LFG tool so people stand around in Lions Arch for hours spamming LFG FOTM Level nn rather than playing the game. Wanna know why zones are empty - people are in LA spamming LFG.

Ascended Gear - after months (pre release as well) of claiming the game will be different anet caved in and gave us a treadmill - so people are less inclined to waste time chasing after other gear knowing they must run FOTM till they are bleeding from their eyes to get BiS gear. Epic fail.

So what does an 80 have to look forward to?

Dungeon runs - for tokens - for gear that is not BiS and has same stats as crafted. Pointless unless you love dungeon grinding.

FOTM treadmill.

WVW zerging.

Farming DEs and Dragons in otherwise nearly empty zones.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by cptndunsel
    snip

I guess 1000 hours before you get bored is quite good :)

And hopefully they wont repeat ascended gear mistake/fractals mistake, seems they are aware that they made one *shrug*

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    To the guy who said there's nothing to do at 80...... even if that were true, and it's not, I have had raid-like experiences complete with dozens of people and detailed mechanics to take down bosses or other obstacles many many times during the leveling experience, which is exactly what they promised and exactly why I love this game.  In WoW, there was nothing to do UNTIL max level, and I feel that's just wasting a large portion of the game to "get to the real game".
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    To the guy who said there's nothing to do at 80...... even if that were true, and it's not, I have had raid-like experiences complete with dozens of people and detailed mechanics to take down bosses or other obstacles many many times during the leveling experience, which is exactly what they promised and exactly why I love this game.  In WoW, there was nothing to do UNTIL max level, and I feel that's just wasting a large portion of the game to "get to the real game".

What the heck are you talking about. You can do EVERYTHING except raid pre-max level. [mod edit]

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Psychow

What the heck are you talking about. You can do EVERYTHING except raid pre-max level. [mod edit]

I played WoW for 4 years. [mod edit]

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I played WoW for 4 years.  [mod edit]

I played WoW for a while.  Never hit max level.  Spent a ton of time PvPing in open world areas, which I found much more fun than the prospect of repeatedly killing the same 'boss' over and over and over at max level.  I also did other things than PvP, but of course those things didn't exist because I didn't hit max level?  lol....................

With regards to Guild Wars 2, I'm still waiting for them to implement the exciting features they talked about in their manifesto video which aren't in the game.

By the way, "max level" itself is a silly concept, especially when expansions add more levels, and gear is the reason to keep playing.  Get better gear to do a dungeon to get better gear...forever.  Yeah, real fun?

As an aside, I've never hit max level in EVE, nor run out of things to do and try.  Funny how that works.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Other than End-game raiding, please list the things you can do ONLY at max level Mr. WoW vet of 4 years. (i.e what can you NOT do at all during 1-89)

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by HorrorScope
    The reason I like it is simply because the open world in this game is so much better then any other mmo, it's not funny nor close. The other games to me to get anything good it had to be some group instance. Here the huge landscape that you mozy around in, is actually fun enough that to me it doesn't even need the instances.

This is a big plus to the game for me as well. I'm finally getting around to trying for 100% world completion, while not letting the "check list" for each zone push me to rush through each zone. I'm taking my time enjoying the environments and I continue to be blown away at how massive the environments are, while still being very clearly hand crafted, rather than randomly genrated or copy/pasted.

I don't think you need to be an Explorer type to enjoy the game, but people who love world exploration can't expect much more than what GW2 has to offer.

I've said it before, this is a game where there is almost to much to do and see. I'm closing in on 800 hours played between two accounts and I'm still discovering things and places I haven't experienced before.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

Maybe you were playing it wrong?

Hey that always works when someone complains about GW2.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by expresso

Well to be honest I really enjoyed it up to level 20, was having fun upto level 30, "logging on when my mates were" upto level 40 but by level 50 I was losing interest FAST.

I would say by level 40 (and only for the dungeons) you've seen all that GW2 has to offer not that thats a bad thing if you like what it has to offer.  I stopped playing 2 or 3 months ago having dragged my way to level 70 with little desire to return, I logged in for the winterfel thing for all of 10 minutes, throw some snow balls around then logged off.  Maybe an expansion will bring me back?

It's not the game it's you!!!!

• pluzoidpluzoid Member Posts: 152

End game is what you make of it. In my guild (pain intended - Ring of Fire server) the level 80''s make there own end game, by helping new guilders and old ones doing dungeons in story or explore mode, taking people on jumping puzzles. There is also World vs world, and PvP to do.
    There are also live events from time to time, killing dragons is what's going on in the new patch.

I've done raids in wow, and I found them frustrating and genrally boring, due to doing the same bosses over and over, just learning the sequence of attacks from wiki. Frustrating if you had to roll on some gear that someone might pinch to sell or ppl leaving, nerd Rae etc.

Plus helping others at the same level makes it more of a challenge then just 1 killing everything in the lower level areas.
    Once I make 80 I'm gonna help people in the guild, finish off all the maps, do the dailys and monthlys, new patch made it a lot easier to track daily and monthly progress.