Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Last hours of PathFinder Online kickstarter

Comments

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    They need 160k or so in 14 hours. Doubt they will reach that, I think they set it too high. :/
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Originally posted by chaintm
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Originally posted by chaintm
    what is hurting this kickstarter (done a few already) is 3 things, date, questionable promotional ethics and another kickstarter. Most everyone I mention this too say those three things. The date being 2016 a long time for an investment, ethics being about how they are promoting (not getting into details, just my group of friends all come up with the same reasonings) and finally multiple kickstarter. While the inital was funds to raise to make a prototype, many worry this isn't their only and last kickstarter leading most (as myself ) to beleive pyramid type of deal. I love the idea here, I just have too agree with the points listed, I just personally don't see a stable invesment here. I wish them all the best and I post this in maybe helping them address these issues in the future. GL thou!

I kinda have the same exact feeling..

Generally kickstarters HAVE a prototype to show off what they're asking the money for, but these guys asked YOU to finance their prototype that they can show YOU to get more money .. and maybe to show to some investors.

That's part of it, along with while they have a very heavy experainced table top designing team and story writers, one also wonders where their experiance software team is. There is sadly just too much "fluff" in this kickstarter then actual information such as development scheduals, team of developers, time table. To me it seems like a bunch of ventern table top makers liking the idea of bringing this to an MMO setting. However, I just don't see the experianced development team that would be needed to take on a such a very large and detailed project. Being a developer with over 20 years of experiance, I have a good idea what is needed, I just don't see that team here to do this correctly. At least, the representation here is to make a AAA title and assuming this is the case, the time alone to say to do a descent interface would be months to years for just one person.

The depth the talk about this game having also means it has allot of automation and AI control, that sort of programing takes a long time to do. The more automation you add to a project, the longer it will take period.

Well I gota run, work in the morning, I do wish them all the best but there are just to many questions then answers for invesment. Maybe their next kickstarter will be more on the project then the fluff.

This.

With the best will in the world, their design team looks amazing on paper, but the for me tech demo was utter trash. From what i understand the first KickStarter was to pay for a tech demo, and  from a technical point of view a hobbyist designer/programmer could have put this together in unity in their free time in under a month. There was nothing in the tech demo that followed the core concept of the game, or showed actual transition from design to prototype in a test environment.

I still wish them the best of luck, but these kind of things are becoming more frequent on KS, which is a real shame as it damages the idea of KS. The way I see KS is you use it once to either pay for a start to finish, or pay to finish. Not to consecutively ask for more.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

It's going to be tight, but I would still assume they will still make the goal. Most projects like this will have huge last-minute surges, as shown on the three last days. Not making this goal would be disastrous for their project imago.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

There appears to be some misconception or bad info:

If the Kickstarter funds the plan is for the game to hit Early Enrollment mid 2014 and then full release around 9 months later.

The 2016 date is their release plan if the Kickstarter fails to fund.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

There appears to be some misconception or bad info:

If the Kickstarter funds the plan is for the game to hit Early Enrollment mid 2014 and then full release around 9 months later.

The 2016 date is their release plan if the Kickstarter fails to fund.

Well then they should state that much more clearly. At the moment the delivery for the pledge tiers is jan 2016.

• BlueMountainBlueMountain Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Anyone making an estimate will estimate later than earlier. If you beat your estimate it is always good. If you project more than you can deliver it is always bad. So...

To dream, perhaps to be.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    doesn't look good right now.  over 100k to go....12 hours left.  this game looks like junk anyhow.  grats on getting almost 900k. 
  • faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by muffins89
    doesn't look good right now.  over 100k to go....12 hours left.  this game looks like junk anyhow.  grats on getting almost 900k. 

i have to slightly agree with this one, eventho its very early stage it dosnt look anything amazing. nicely done for funding wise.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

but would you be overly surprised if 100K didnt mysteriously show up in the last few hours?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

People remember, Kickstarter is just that, a kick start. It is not all the funding that will be used for game development but to get them out of the gate. If you are thinking that the whole game will be developed with this money, probably not.

I do wish them well on this.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Looks like it is going to fail. Shame, as the game sounded promising.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Quick heads-up:

@All - Some visibility on the next 12 hours. This morning at around 6am Pacific, an email was sent to all the backers and to a number of other mailing lists asking people to back the campaign on its last day. Our team will meet at about noon Pacific (as it does every day) and we'll plan the last 6 hours at that time based on where the total pledge amount stands.

We were very happy to see the reminder email go out over $800k. Many people will not see it until they get to work on Monday morning. By then we hope to be closing in on $900k.

We think we're going to fund on the final day surge. The numbers are looking good. The number of new backers (which spreads the social network) is really good (more than a thousand in the past 3 days!)

If you are reading this and you have questions not answered in the body of the main page text or the FAQ, please contact us directly rather than waiting for a message here. This thread is too congested (and will get even more congested) to serve much use in Q&A over the next 24 hours.

This message will be repeated regularly.

Thanks for your support, buckle up, and lets push hard for the big finish!

Still time!

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    man i hope they get the funding.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Originally posted by Yamota

They need $100k by 9PM Eastern.  Seems doubtful but not impossible.   The good thing is that if it doesn't fund nobody is charged anything so there is no harm in pledging.

A fantasy sandbox made by experienced developers... what an opportunity.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    Originally posted by Yamota

They need $100k by 9PM Eastern.  Seems doubtful but not impossible.   The good thing is that if it doesn't fund nobody is charged anything so there is no harm in pledging.

A fantasy sandbox made by experienced developers... what an opportunity.

Just broke 900k and the pace is good!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

muffins 89

"  the hobbit is a terrible book.  the plot changes to the movie were warranted."

Im glad u think this game looks like junk, im looking foward this game more than never.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

Well, I raised my pledge. But this still looks like a close call.

If the funding should not be successful my pledge will be spend elsewhere (something non-game/non-mmo). 

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by tom_gore

I pledged the lowest tier to get the game itself. Not really a fan of multiple kickstarters for the same project and the release date of 2016 is quite far ahead, but as I see there are zero MMO games of real interest (to me) coming out this year, I thought what the heck.

EVE will have to keep me occupied until ArcheAge comes west, sometime in the 2014 I would suppose.

I had a lot of issues with this kickstarter.  The biggest being that they already had one.  With that type of ethics, what is to keep them from having another one, maybe 2 more..

The second part is that they already basically said they can make the game... then why use kickstarter?  To me, it is somewhat abusive to the idea of kickstarter, which is supposed to be about dreams..  this is more like ´yeah, we think it would just be cool to have an extra million to spend´..

My final problem is the way the early access people are going to dominate the game.   Because of the EVE type skill system.. newer players can never catch up.  Yes, it may be a flat system, but still you are always behind.  But my real problem is the early access people will not only be developing the first factions and controlling the map before new players can even join, but they also will be helping CREATE the rules of the game.  So not only are new players going to be forever behind with their skills, but they are going to join a game with entrenched player-run factions who helped shape the rules for player-run factions...

In other words, get in early, or forever be a sheep/peon to those who do.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

According to the latest video on their ks page, this 1 million would allow them to potentially release earlier, perhaps 2015 rather than 2016.  So thats a minimum wait of a year for beta if your one of the bigger donors, and 2-3 wait until release.  

If this early on they already need 2 ks to keep things running, I have some serious doubts about their promises.  Certainly worth keeping an eye on, but way too early to be putting out cash.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Muppetier

but would you be overly surprised if 100K didnt mysteriously show up in the last few hours?

Most kickstarters that are close get a huge surge the last few days.  Right now they are 75k short with 8 hours to go.  I have no doubt they will get it.  My guess is they will hit 1.1M even (based on how kickstarters usually go.)

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

muffins 89

"  the hobbit is a terrible book.  the plot changes to the movie were warranted."

Im glad u think this game looks like junk, im looking foward this game more than never.

Hehe This ^^

Muffins has his opinion such as the Hobbit being a terrible book I have mine. Muffins can go play SW:Tor or terra I've backed this back hoping for something more then just pretty graphics and big developer hype.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by augustgrace

According to the latest video on their ks page, this 1 million would allow them to potentially release earlier, perhaps 2015 rather than 2016.  So thats a minimum wait of a year for beta if your one of the bigger donors, and 2-3 wait until release.  

If this early on they already need 2 ks to keep things running, I have some serious doubts about their promises.  Certainly worth keeping an eye on, but way too early to be putting out cash.

you are misinformed.

they had a kickstatrer to produce a demo which they did. they are now having a kickstarter to fund getting the game produced quicker these are at least in my opinion 2 different things. granted i didn't kickstart the demo so i don't feel bad about kickstartering the game to get it out by 2015. (as compared to 2016 or later otherwise)

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Originally posted by winter

you are misinformed.

they had a kickstatrer to produce a demo which they did. they are now having a kickstarter to fund getting the game produced quicker these are at least in my opinion 2 different things. granted i didn't kickstart the demo so i don't feel bad about kickstartering the game to get it out by 2015. (as compared to 2016 or later otherwise)

Right.... exactly what I said.  What was misinformed?

Originally posted by winter

you are misinformed.

Right.... exactly what I said.  What was misinformed?

1) So 1st ks: tech demo -> investors.

2) Raised something like 5m$-10m$ in terms of burning cash over 4yrs at a sustainable rate (Much lower than 50m$ for AAA themepark mmorpg).

3) Raise 1m$ in 2nd ks: increase headcount from 11-20 = shorter dev time x1 year, as more staff for lean launch mid-2014. As it's shorter, start positive cash flow sooner.

-

That explains it. No more ks'ers after this one. But lots of CROWDFORGING