Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so, since they aren't fixing culling..

Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

nor nerfing the thief's ability to make entire armies perma-invisible...

I had an idea to help save this game and bring people back....

make it so a thief cannot be invisible to another thief, thus as long as there is a thief amongst you, they can tell WvWvW groups if they see another thief coming, walking weirdly and casting stealth every 2 seconds.

or they can go kill them.

Something like this can lead to an end to the ridiculous culling issue without having to change the game dynamics, or at least buy time so the devs can do something later.

Just a thought.

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I love playing the theif in PvE. It's a fun, high paced class to play.  I have yet to play an mmo where I haven't felt the "assassin/rogue/theif" class causes problems. 

I think your suggestion does make some pretty big changes for game/combat mechanics. Not sure what all would result from that.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I love playing the theif in PvE. It's a fun, high paced class to play.  I have yet to play an mmo where I haven't felt the "assassin/rogue/theif" class causes problems. 

I think your suggestion does make some pretty big changes for game/combat mechanics. Not sure what all would result from that.

It wouldn't be a nerf to the class though, not affecting pve in any way.

The effect to pvp shouldn't be a hit in regards to how the game is supposed to be played. I don't honestly think the culling issue was intended to be used as a tactic so widely implemented in WvWvW.

At least if thieves can all see each other, teams have a chance to disrupt the culling mechanic and have a fighting chance against it.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Where did you read that they were not going to fix culling?

They replied to a post once about it a month ago, saying they werelooking at it, but had no answers. The post left the feel that the problem was something beyond their ability to fix, or they didn't want to spend the resources in doing so.

Does it mean they won't no...but it doesn't sound like it's going to be in the near future. How many months since release and still no official word nor game update saying they are close to a solution?

thus, thinking of other avenues.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Rider071

I love playing the thief in PvE. It's a fun, high paced class to play.  I have yet to play an mmo where I haven't felt the "assassin/rogue/theif" class causes problems. 

The effect to pvp shouldn't be a hit in regards to how the game is supposed to be played. I don't honestly think the culling issue was intended to be used as a tactic so widely implemented in WvWvW.

At least if thieves can all see each other, teams have a chance to disrupt the culling mechanic and have a fighting chance against it.

no, I didn't mean it would change PvE, just that I get disappointed in the problems inherint with stealth classes even though I like them at the same time.

As for the change suggested, I honestly just don't know what to make of it. I would think it would devastate the thief in PvP, and make it the gimped class. It may be the lesser of two evils though.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    thats pretty pathetic that a company that size still hasnt figured out how to fix culling this long after release of the game and beta tests. I seriously have no idea how anyone can justify that Anet is such a awesome company when all ive ever seen out of them is excuses for why everything they release comes out bugged or broken entirely. For a company thats been around a long time they surely seem pretty disfunctional and clueless. Heres to hoping the next DAOC fad game TESO is 100% better than the watered downed guild wars 2 terrible version of WvWvW. Maybe TESO will actually do it right but im not holding my breath there either.

I love playing the thief in PvE. It's a fun, high paced class to play.  I have yet to play an mmo where I haven't felt the "assassin/rogue/theif" class causes problems. 

no, I didn't mean it would change PvE, just that I get disappointed in the problems inherint with stealth classes even though I like them at the same time.

As for the change suggested, I honestly just don't know what to make of it. I would think it would devastate the thief in PvP, and make it the gimped class. It may be the lesser of two evils though.

I hear ya, but from an RP stance, it would be a boon to the class (or any class given the ability, maybe ranger). Assassin-killer. Or scout, or more 'evil' people extorting their allies for exchange of information/guard duty, etc..

I don't see it as a gimp in any way, they will still retain the ability to empower an entire army to become invisible.

Better yet, they would be able to see anyone invisible too, thus being able to kill other non-thief classes under the invisible cloak. Like a caster or ranger that the rogue keeping everyone invisible can see doing it and cant do a damn thing about.

Many ways to play this out, but the main thing is to end culling.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    Uh....They said the other day they were very close to a fix on the culling issue lol...Pay attention?
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    My guess is that the ability to reset fights is going to be nerfed, as well as culling to be "fixed" by Feb. But hey that's just my guess.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I haven't really seen an MMO do stealth "right".

Thief - that was well done. You shouldn't be able to "stealth" right down the middle of a well-lit hallway and just be magically invisible. You should have to weave in and out of shadows. It should be difficult and it should require skill. There shouldn't really be any stealth at all when your facing a huge army of 100+ people out in the middle of the field (unless your just counting on being one in a sea of many people and hiding via anonymity, but that isn't "stealth" really)

Ok, well, unless your actually using some magic "invisibility" - but then that isn't rogue/thief stealth either. That's magic...

As far as the OP goes:
    I think the culling issue strikes at the heart of the graphics engine. To overhaul the graphics engine is a big undertaking and can have a lot of unintended consequences. Not making excuses for them, since they did create their own engine in-house, and had a rather lengthy beta period to test it with. I think it's on their plate, I just don't expect anything to come from it anytime soon.

It does make Wv3 essentially pointless though. I've also really hated the small player limit on the maps, but there's no sense increasing those if you end up with culling issues with what you have already. I like the PvE game a lot, I was pretty hyped about the Wv3, but it's essentially worthless as it stands right now (and has been since release). Even if characters just got rendered as stick figures once too many came on screen at a time, it would be better than what we have now.

Actually haven't logged in since October, once I saw the majority of WvWvW armies use the culling tactic.

I do update the game and read the notes in hopes of a fix, but no, haven't heard a word about it, other than the one post that was a reply a month ago that was linked here while we were discussing it.

So, link pls.

Otherwise, the facts are:  culling still exists and they aren't fixing it anytime soon.

As far as paying attention, I have been paying great attention to it via these boards and not the GW2 boards as they are as invasive as you can get into privacy issues. A different topic for another day.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Culling is a tactic, and its your own fault if youre not using it/prepare for it. Take it or leave it for now. It has to be fixed.

As far as thief goes, make the limit to 5 characters (1 group).

Any "nerfs" to stealth have to be accompanied with buffs to defence/damage/skill sets. And for the one who mentioned shadows or such - its fantasy, not realistic representation of real world.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Dont chnage the thief, just use the thief to your advantage. Get to know some thiefs and put them on your team.

Really ! thiefs are not that ubber. If Anet starts to nerf even more then they can wave bye bye to people, not bring them back.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by KroxMalon

Dont chnage the thief, just use the thief to your advantage. Get to know some thiefs and put them on your team.

Really ! thiefs are not that ubber. If Anet starts to nerf even more then they can wave bye bye to people, not bring them back.

this!

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    They should work on a real solution, instead. IIRC they said it should be ready in a few months.
  • loki27loki27 Member Posts: 24
    As unfortunate as it is that the culling issue hasn't been fixed yet, they are working on removing it altogether.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Oh, that's a great post by Habib. I tried to find it, but my forum-fu underperformed this time.
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

They replied to a post once about it a month ago, saying they werelooking at it, but had no answers. The post left the feel that the problem was something beyond their ability to fix, or they didn't want to spend the resources in doing so.

Does it mean they won't no...but it doesn't sound like it's going to be in the near future. How many months since release and still no official word nor game update saying they are close to a solution?

They also more recently said, they just might have cracked it. The latest gamebreaker.tv guild cast episode was talking about that.

This is not a game.

• MrJones77MrJones77 Member Posts: 17
    Ok putting myself out there, but what is this "culling" I keep hearing so much about?
  • pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

nor nerfing the thief's ability to make entire armies perma-invisible...

I had an idea to help save this game and bring people back....

make it so a thief cannot be invisible to another thief, thus as long as there is a thief amongst you, they can tell WvWvW groups if they see another thief coming, walking weirdly and casting stealth every 2 seconds.

or they can go kill them.

Something like this can lead to an end to the ridiculous culling issue without having to change the game dynamics, or at least buy time so the devs can do something later.

Just a thought.

Its the main problem on WxWxW, invisible armys, but there is 2 other major issues:

1: portal entre to recap fast the lost tower, keep..... They must turn off the option to port to enemy keep , it's not helping game mechanics (it suposed to be always with siege)

2: Once for all no one can start a  finish move in stealth mode, for me this is a broken gameplay exploit or bug or something.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Engineer its a completely broken class atm, and they care nothing about, i dont touch mine since 1 month.

On other side thief does too much dmg (we can live with that),

the rest not: too much stealth (almost infinite ), they culling entire armys, they can start a finish move in stealth , i mean they are by far the best class , near to mesmer ofc, the only way to beat them its to made a anti thief build, but then you are in trouble against ele, rangers, mesmer,warrior and so on.

Ofc they must nerf as they ubber nerf class's as engineer to the floor or necro (still my main class) in beta.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Ok so would someone lay down the exact definitin of "cullng" please. I play the stupid game and still don't know what you are refering to here? I'm more into AC2 rigt now and don't play GW2 much anymore...only hit lvl 25ish since release. AC2 is a lot more fun than any modern game I've played since they shut down AC2 back 10 years ago.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Just because they had no answers doesn't mean they aren't going to do something. You have to stop ASS-U-ME-ing things.

It means they are looking at the data they collect from the servers. They did the same in GW1 and they probably don't want to tip their hand yet.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by pedrostrik

Engineer its a completely broken class atm, and they care nothing about, i dont touch mine since 1 month.

On other side thief does too much dmg (we can live with that),

the rest not: too much stealth (almost infinite ), they culling entire armys, they can start a finish move in stealth , i mean they are by far the best class , near to mesmer ofc, the only way to beat them its to made a anti thief build, but then you are in trouble against ele, rangers, mesmer,warrior and so on.

Ofc they must nerf as they ubber nerf class's as engineer to the floor or necro (still my main class) in beta.

A thief is a glass cannon - yes they have burst damage but if you set defenses out right, at the beginning, they are usually not that hard to kill. Learn to play the game as a team not one versus one.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    So culling is that they can't show all characters, in big battles, on the screen at once?  How or why is this only a thief issue?