Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering playing, gameplay questions

BeardymanBeardyman Member Posts: 50

I'm considering giving Tera a second, fair shot, but after reading a few posts on this forum, I'm under the impression that Tera is all combat with little focus on anything else.

1.) How is the crafting system, and is it relevant for making money or useful gear for myself?

2.) How is the community? I understand that this will most likely change drastically in the near future, but I'm thinking that if the community's good and I can get into a sub guild before F2P, maybe I can avoid some of the shit community that plagues most F2P games.

3.) How is the roleplaying community? Are there specified servers, or is it just a "hope your server has what you're looking for" type deal?

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

1) Don't bother with crafting.

2) On the PvP server, pretty terrible, but that's how PvP servers are.

3) They have a designated Roleplay server(North America only), not sure how much roleplay goes on though, I know they are making events fairly regularly on the celestial hills(roleplay server) section of the forums though.

• BeardymanBeardyman Member Posts: 50

That's unfortunate about the crafting. My wife and I play MMO's together, and crafting is, for some reason, her favorite part of any game. Looks like I may be trying this one alone.

As far as the pvp server community issue, would you mind clarifying a little? I guess what I'm really asking is if I were to ask a question in chat, would I be more likely to wade through 5 minutes of trolls and assholes, or will I recieve a civil response pretty quickly?

And for the roleplaying, that's great news.

Thanks for the info.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

1) Don't bother with crafting.

Except enchating or whatever its called to get your weapon +4 etc

2) On the PvP server, pretty terrible, but that's how PvP servers are.

This is pretty true but I met some helpful people through my two days playing

3) They have a designated Roleplay server(North America only), not sure how much roleplay goes on though, I know they are making events fairly regularly on the celestial hills(roleplay server) section of the forums though.

I believe they either just did or about to do a winter ball. Hopefuly there is a playpin for the elins -_-

just bought it on Friday and have put about 10 HR into it and am now  lvl 27.  I am loving it so for the first dungeon I did was amazing I found myself holding my breath a lot and when we conquered it I felt like a champion.

Playing with a friend with a friend also helps

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by Beardyman

I'm considering giving Tera a second, fair shot, but after reading a few posts on this forum, I'm under the impression that Tera is all combat with little focus on anything else.

1.) How is the crafting system, and is it relevant for making money or useful gear for myself?

2.) How is the community? I understand that this will most likely change drastically in the near future, but I'm thinking that if the community's good and I can get into a sub guild before F2P, maybe I can avoid some of the shit community that plagues most F2P games.

3.) How is the roleplaying community? Are there specified servers, or is it just a "hope your server has what you're looking for" type deal?

There's a command for leaving global chat, I forgot what it is, but I highly suggest you learn what that is.

Good god the global chat is. . . well if you've ever played the start of Borderlands 2, where you meet Sir Hammerlock, and he says something about needing shut Clap Trap up. Well think of it as if there were hundreds of claptraps on a single forum. Also you can expect a discussion about hentai every 10 minutes on the minute.

Personally I'd rank TERA's community below Maplestory's. It's as if their is a singular goal to make sure that everything posted in Global chat is 100% incorrect.

My personal favorite from yesterday morning's chat was,

"Arenanet is working on the translation for Blade and Soul."

"Who's Arenanet?"

"They made Dragon Nest."

That would be an example of one of the most coherent discussion I've ever seen in Global Chat. Most of banter is unintelligible "1337 5p34k", but in reality it's the further adaptation of leet speak that really can only be defined as text speak. Honestly I don't really know what to call it.

As far as outdoor communication, well there is none, at least not on the starter isle, which I never left because I could not bring myself to play TERA for more than 10 levels. Everything just felt really bad.

• BeardymanBeardyman Member Posts: 50

Thank you for the information, everyone. 

So, from what I've read, the community is the typical MMO community of 2013. Ah, how I miss the days of DAoC...

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Beardyman

Thank you for the information, everyone. 

So, from what I've read, the community is the typical MMO community of 2013. Ah, how I miss the days of DAoC...

Celestial Hills, which is the RP server is not nearly as bad as the PvP or PvE server in terms of community or global chat.

But I mean, put a game wide chat channel in any MMO and see how it turns out. It's going to be awful.

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99

game is going free to play, now there's no reason to cry or whine about it. Since it's free lol

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

Yeah I heard about the F2P coming up so I went ahead and downlaoded it now to check it out a bit on their current unlimited free trial thing (just limited to lvl28 and such but no time limits) to see how it is since I had never really looked into it before now. The combat is kinda fun but overall the game so far feels like a typical asian f2p mmo for the most part. BAMs and the combat system being the exception and of course I haven't had the opportunity to run a dungeon yet so I've still a lot to see, thats just initial impression speaking so far.

Otherwise as someone else mentioned turning off global chat is pretty much the first thing you want to do heh. Forums and game chat in general have gotten pretty bad over the years yeah but man, the general chat here was some of the worst I've ever seen lol. Take swtor imperial chat + barrens chat + all the forum qq you can find and hop it up on a buncha crack and you might come close to tera global lol.

Crafting seemed like the way it all works was fine and all just the stuff you can make was all pretty much worthless from what I hear, making it a waste of time overall.

Overall I am having some fun with it but don't see myself spending any $$ on it but regardless, it is completely free to try out and see for yourself how you like it so go ahead and give it a shot, it's pretty fun with no global chat :)

I never did play DAoC but I sure do miss the good old days of Original EQ up until Luclin hehe.

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Tera is good mindless fun if u dont have anything else to play, atleast to me^^

Maybe give Age of Wushu a try instead sounds more like the game u are searching for, Im playing that atm and its rly fun if u dont mind the old china setting, crafting is pretty good and its meaningfull since all equip is player made.