Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isn't EQ:Next in the game list?

HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Is it because they havent officially decided on a name yet?

Just seems foolish as the game is confirmed and definitely coming out, and there is some information that could be pooled in one place.  Just a thought /shrug.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    There isn't much news about it.  As soon as SOE is ready to announce something meaningful, I'm sure they'll add it to the list.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well for starters they threw out what they had and had to totally restart what they were coding. At first we all though it was going to be something with the dcuo engine but that got scrapped, then we thought that it would be something like a facebook game and now that's out. Not even the concept art 2 years back at fanfaire is no longer an option. So none of us have a clue of what they are doing on the project.

The only thing I do know is they pulled Rothgar and several other high level devs from eq2, and basicly left us hanging in the wind.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I'd honestly like to see an "EverQuest "Next" forum. After the game is officially named, I don't see a problem with renaming the forum to the new name.

EQNext is obviously a reality. We might as well be able to talk about it.

• Acapella75Acapella75 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    The game is using planetside 2's engine from what they've said. They didn't completely start over. They still have the engine, art assets and everything. Just making a sandbox game instead a WoW clone.  They'll start releasing info soon I'd imagine if the game is gonna be playable at this years Fan Faire.  I doubt it'll launch until q1/q2 2014.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Same reason Project Titan isnt on the list yet.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Same reason Project Titan isnt on the list yet.

The same "dumb" reason they aren't on the list.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Well for starters they threw out what they had and had to totally restart what they were coding. At first we all though it was going to be something with the dcuo engine but that got scrapped, then we thought that it would be something like a facebook game and now that's out. Not even the concept art 2 years back at fanfaire is no longer an option. So none of us have a clue of what they are doing on the project.

The only thing I do know is they pulled Rothgar and several other high level devs from eq2, and basicly left us hanging in the wind.

We've known Everquest Next is going to be on the Forgelight engine for about a year and a half now.

Originally posted by Acapella75
    The game is using planetside 2's engine from what they've said. They didn't completely start over. They still have the engine, art assets and everything. Just making a sandbox game instead a WoW clone.  They'll start releasing info soon I'd imagine if the game is gonna be playable at this years Fan Faire.  I doubt it'll launch until q1/q2 2014.

The first Fan Faire Planetside 2 was playable at was 2012. It was only officially announced at the 2011 Fan Faire. The first gameplay we saw was GDC 2012.

• Acapella75Acapella75 Member UncommonPosts: 15

The first Fan Faire Planetside 2 was playable at was 2012. It was only officially announced at the 2011 Fan Faire. The first gameplay we saw was GDC 2012.

Im not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me but Smedly announced at the Fan Faire 2012 that they had started over on the game earlier in the year and we'd be playing it at next years Fan Faire 2013. That's all I was stating.

Im not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me but Smedly announced at the Fan Faire 2012 that they had started over on the game earlier in the year and we'd be playing it at next years Fan Faire 2013. That's all I was stating.

I am putting perspective on what it being playable at the 2013 Fan Faire could mean from what we saw with Planetside 2. Planetside 2 also had a complete reworking about a year before release when they decided that the Planetside engine wasn't good enough and they moved it over to the Forgelight.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    They've said that EQNext will be playable in in September at a games show, so I imagine we will start hearing some news around March-ish. Maybe then they will make a forum for it.
  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Like you said in the OP statement, pretty sure it's hard to give a forum to a game without a name.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Originally posted by Rider071
    Like you said in the OP statement, pretty sure it's hard to give a forum to a game without a name.

I disagree with this.  There have been forums for Oblivion's mmo since dawn crack.  I'm even signed up for a guild.  Does it have an official name yet?  If people are anticipating a game enough there will be a forum.   Name not included.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

personally I'd like to see a forum for both Blizzards Titan and SOEs EQNext

a new Titan thread theorizing about the game seems to pop up few times a month in The Pub forums

we know less about Titan than EQNext

for Blizzard we know its a new ip and its supposedly playable inhouse

for EQNext,

the mmo is a sandbox using the forge light engine and should have a playable demo by next Fanfaire Oct 2013

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/20/sony-online-entertainment-everquest-next-sandbox-mmo/

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

He said they had scrapped the 2 previous "ideas" behind the game, not that they had scrapped all of the work they had done.  Im sure there is plenty of art assets and all kind of code and stuff they're going to use moving forward, otherwise there is no way they would have a playable version by 2013 fanfaire.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

He said they had scrapped the 2 previous "ideas" behind the game, not that they had scrapped all of the work they had done.  Im sure there is plenty of art assets and all kind of code and stuff they're going to use moving forward, otherwise there is no way they would have a playable version by 2013 fanfaire.

This is true but it also answers your original question. EQNext is not going to be a 2013 release. Most likely it will be a late 2014 release or even a 2015 date. This means it is bit to early to put EQNext on the game list with its' own forum. It is important they get this right and not rush out something that is sub par.

Originally posted by Nadia

we know less about Titan than EQNext

for Blizzard we know its a new ip and its supposedly playable inhouse

Rumor is that it's not actually a new IP -

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/microsoft/27907-rumor-blizzards-titan-ip-not-exactly-new-ip-could-coming-next-gen-xbox-pc.html

It's just rumors though..

Originally posted by Novusod

This is true but it also answers your original question. EQNext is not going to be a 2013 release. Most likely it will be a late 2014 release or even a 2015 date. This means it is bit to early to put EQNext on the game list with its' own forum. It is important they get this right and not rush out something that is sub par.

You have no idea when it's going to be released.

• MiserySignalMiserySignal Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Usually AAA MMOs take 3-4 years to develop from scratch...I guess we won't expect anything until at least 2015...
    Originally posted by MiserySignal
    Usually AAA MMOs take 3-4 years to develop from scratch...I guess we won't expect anything until at least 2015...

We've known it has been in development since 2009.

I'd love to see it this year... but I am betting on 2014 release personally.
    It sounded like they were purposefully keeping their cards close so as not to give much away. So I don't think it will release much longer after they first show off the game.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    It sounded like they were purposefully keeping their cards close so as not to give much away. So I don't think it will release much longer after they first show off the game.

This game is just going to blow so minds away when it hits, that's why it doesn't have it's own category yet.

When it gets it's own category, this site will need a new team to moderate all the incoming posts.

Hype train, choo choo.

(from what I know it will be a good game though .. but who knows)

[actually the new moderator team might be spot on... it's going to be big .. everyones heard of Everquest, even if it's just a rebutal to WoW being the first MMO]

The term EverQuest has meaning.  EverQuest Next will be big.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    My understanding is that games aren't listed if they don't have a website.  I also believe they have to have a clear launch date (whether or not it gets met is irrelevant).
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

I have been watching the MMO industry in great detale for over a decade and I have a pretty good eye for these things. It takes a lot of time and preperation to bring a MMO market. When the publisher won't even give a general date that is red flag the release is a long way off. Even when they do give a general time frame most times the publisher misses the target. Even WoW was delayed. I correctly predicted that TERA would be delayed for over a year. 100% correct.

I will have to make one for EQNext but they don't even have a logo yet. Don't get your hopes up and don't hype an early release because it is not going to happen. A 2013 release is impossible. If EQNext releases in 2014 it will be at the end of the year into 2015 and not the beginning of 2014.

I have been watching the MMO industry in great detale for over a decade and I have a pretty good eye for these things. It takes a lot of time and preperation to bring a MMO market. When the publisher won't even give a general date that is red flag the release is a long way off. Even when they do give a general time frame most times the publisher misses the target. Even WoW was delayed. I correctly predicted that TERA would be delayed for over a year. 100% correct.

I will have to make one for EQNext but they don't even have a logo yet. Don't get your hopes up and don't hype an early release because it is not going to happen. A 2013 release is impossible. If EQNext releases in 2014 it will be at the end of the year into 2015 and not the beginning of 2014.

Planetside 2 first shown behind closed doors GDC 2012, released November 2012.