Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For the fun of it (and boredom) I compiled a list of most to least played MMOs (Raptr stats)

2»

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by zethcarn

And now if you're interested, the Retention Rate of each MMO.  As much hate as it gets WoW is still the leader.

1. World of Warcraft: 37.3 hours per member 

2. Guild Wars 2: 36.5 
    3. Rift: 31.8 
    4. Star Wars The Old Republic: 27.0 
    5. TERA: 25.0 
    6. EVE: 20.3 
    7. Star Trek Online: 19.3 
    8. Everquest: 14.5 
    9. The Secret World: 12.0 
    10. Lord of the Rings Online: 11.4 
    11. Everquest 2: 8.6 
    12. Planetside 2: 5.0 
    13. DC Universe Online: 4.5

Surprised at some of these numbers, especially Rift.

you maybe suprised at rift..i,m suprised at STO.

• AceMasterAceMaster Member UncommonPosts: 35

most peple i know don't use programs as these, so i kinda doubt they are accurate

but i'm actualy interested on how aion, c9 are doing on those list

Btw riot relesed some statistics which show League of Legends is the most played game in the world (more than WoW, diablo, or starcraft 2) just search on google and you will find multiple articles like these. It's possible it's the truth, even I played that game for a while lol

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/07/11/riot-games-league-of-legends-officially-becomes-most-played-pc-game-in-the-world/

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/10/12/lol_infographic.png

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Only good game up there was Everquest.

If those stats were durings its prime the hours played would be a much larger scale than ~20x the number of players.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by phantomghost

Only good game up there was Everquest.

If those stats were durings its prime the hours played would be a much larger scale than ~20x the number of players.

When it had almost no competition?  Then, yeah, probably it would.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Would be interesting to cross-reference these stats with X-Fire. At first glance, DCU is nowhere near as popular on XFire as on this tool. That game is pretty sub-par and doubt doing very well.

And what about Aion? It is one of the big one's.

• Raithe-NorRaithe-Nor Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by AceMaster

most peple i know don't use programs as these, so i kinda doubt they are accurate

Preliminary statistics course... you don't need "most" of the data to obtain fairly accurate statistics.

The meaninglessness of these statistics is not found in its accuracy.  It resides in the fact that statistics of other pasttimes would show it all to be hopelessly unpopular.  As in:

Sleeping:  6 billion members, 200 hours played.

Movies:  2 billion members, 20 hours played.

Facebook:   500 million members, 100 hours played.

Etc. and so forth.  So, because so many people spend so much time sleeping, should every company design a comforter set and bedframe to go along with their core product?

The only real metric for the success of a game (and even entire genres of games) is found in two statistics:

1) Can the developer make a living?

2) Does he like to play his own game with his current playerbase?

The only metrics that matter.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Can I please please please be the first to point out that D3 is not an MMO?

The play style is close enough. Many MMO players play D3.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    how is Warhammer looking?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Question, why would I want to use raptr? It just seems like a newer Xfire, a program I never appreciated in the first place.
  • AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Rift and Raptr recently did a promotion which is distorting Rift's numbers.  It looks like same ting as happening with DCUO and STO as well.

ditto for Xfire and TSW.

This is a little tin-foil hattish.. but  AOC used to do a lot of promotions with xfire, and shortly afterwards there would be someone posting links and stats to xfire showing how the game had ´recovered´ and players were coming back in droves.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki
    Originally posted by zethcarn

Thats not a retention rate.  Its not even describing a rate. But just the average of time a member spent on a specific game since ever the game was released and up till launch of raptr it self in total. A single shot doesnt even give a good hint at a retention rate with factors like gamedesign propagating afk idling, longer, shorter gemeplay sessions or appealing to a different demographics etc etc. You can try to pull something out of it, say high playtime indicates member must've stayed longer in one game than another, but it the end its just more assumptions, already under the assumption they are accurate in first place.

Thats thats apples and pinetreestumps.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky