Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this game will fail... and fail HARD.

CrownregentCrownregent Member UncommonPosts: 9

1 : It completely alienates the PC fan base from EVE, short of those who are willing to shell out for 299 Dollar in the US and 1.500 NOK-159 British pounds or euro in Europe for a PS3.

2: The whole first impression of the game, including a race called Jovians which WAS orginally on DUST 514 official page, is now gone making the game much more unattractive to older Eve players who still are PC DIE HARDS.

3: To make the game not take advantage of Same Server as orginal game is a big FAIL, as this will make Ventrillo nigh to impossible from EVE to DUST514 unless CCP somehow make Unique channels for each of the guilds. Which will really defy the whole point of Dust 514 integration into the mainstream EVE.

4: To make a game thats a platform exclusive is one thing, but to make it completely opposite the main fanbase of EVE, is just plain suicide for a offspring mmo.

Just my 10 cents.

This will be yet another Tabula Rasa... Much overhyped. Too quick too short too far from the fanbase and deemed to fail from day one.

Comments

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Crownregent

1 : It completely alienates the PC fan base from EVE, short of those who are willing to shell out for 299 Dollar in the US and 1.500 NOK-159 British pounds or euro in Europe for a PS3.

2: The whole first impression of the game, including a race called Jovians which WAS orginally on DUST 514 official page, is now gone making the game much more unattractive to older Eve players who still are PC DIE HARDS.

3: To make the game not take advantage of Same Server as orginal game is a big FAIL, as this will make Ventrillo nigh to impossible from EVE to DUST514 unless CCP somehow make Unique channels for each of the guilds. Which will really defy the whole point of Dust 514 integration into the mainstream EVE.

4: To make a game thats a platform exclusive is one thing, but to make it completely opposite the main fanbase of EVE, is just plain suicide for a offspring mmo.

Just my 10 cents.

This will be yet another Tabula Rasa... Much overhyped. Too quick too short too far from the fanbase and deemed to fail from day one.

I won't be buying this game because of your first point.

The gameplay doesn't seem good enough on YouTube for me to want to buy a PS3 for it.

I feel absolutely gutted about it though.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

You do realise CCP are aiming at a different market to EvE players, they want to draw the FPS crowd into their game with Dust and  any who want to try an MMO with its slower pace will naturally progress to EvE.

If that upsets you so much, buy a PS3.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I could be wrong here, but I think CCP's goal is a whole bunch of new players participating in the Eve universe. They aren't really looking to get Eve players into Dust, because then there would be fewer people playing Eve.

** Dang It! Obi beat me to it! **

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi

You do realise CCP are aiming at a different market to EvE players, they want to draw the FPS crowd into their game with Dust and  any who want to try an MMO with its slower pace will naturally progress to EvE.

I that upsets you so much, buy a PS3.

Why would they not have released it for console and PC?  seems a little silly to release a game, that is part of their MMO, but not release it for PC..

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

Wait a minute. I thought this was on the f2p model. Is it b2p?

If so, I'm out.

Originally posted by Scottgun

If so, I'm out.

It's F2P but those EvE players without a PS3 console have spent a year whining instead of saving up for a console and now feel left out.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

Originally posted by crysent

Why would they not have released it for console and PC?  seems a little silly to release a game, that is part of their MMO, but not release it for PC..

Firstly, Sony paid them cash towards the development costs, hence PS3 exclusive. Also how long do you think it would take the EvE playerbase to write the hacks and cheats for a PC version.

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185
    This is barely a mediocre shooter at best. I don't play eve, not my cup of tea and i'm aware of CPP and the whole universe. I have a ps3 and have enjoyed shooters for decades now. This game is gonna fail on so many levels. Ps3 is close to the end of its regular game development cycle with the ps4 coming out. So many other cheap & free shooters that gets the core gameplay mechanics of the lobby based shooters done better than what i experienced in beta.
    Originally posted by yutty
    This is barely a mediocre shooter at best. I don't play eve, not my cup of tea and i'm aware of CPP and the whole universe. I have a ps3 and have enjoyed shooters for decades now. This game is gonna fail on so many levels. Ps3 is close to the end of its regular game development cycle with the ps4 coming out. So many other cheap & free shooters that gets the core gameplay mechanics of the lobby based shooters done better than what i experienced in beta.

Ah, proper reasons to say it will fail.

Not played it but reports say its improved since Beta. Fair point about the PS4 but there's a shit load of PS3s out there. They have only recently stopped making the PS2.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

That isn't valid if CCP isn't aiming for the PC base.  You reasoning seems to be that if PC players can't play, no one else will. The huge PS3 playerbase who aren't pc gamers give CCP an opportunity to build another playerbase. It would be silly for CCP to expect pc players to purhase PS3's just to play Dust, so that is probably not their intention. They want people with PS3 that they curently don't have access to. They want to expand their playerbase.  

How can you initially argue that the game alienates the pc fan base and then say a design decision is bad because the pc fan base won't like it It dosen't make sense to complain that PC players aren't invited, then complain that those same pc players won't like what's in the game.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. You mean the built in voice chat? Cause I was under the impression most corps run their own vent servers which would make what you wrote pointless.

I think this is the root of your misunderstanding, CCP doesn't intend for it to be an offspring mmo. It's not intended for PC players. Clearly CCP is trying to expand their playerbase.

Just my 10 cents.

That all being said, I'm not saying the game will be a success, or that it won't fail. Just pointing out your reasons don't really make sense. CCP didn't make Dust 514 for their EvE players to play. They made it for PS3 players to play.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Just my 10 cents.

I won't be buying this game because of your first point.

The gameplay doesn't seem good enough on YouTube for me to want to buy a PS3 for it.

I feel absolutely gutted about it though.

Yeah the whole PS3 ruined it for me also.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Obviously CCP's target audience is console players, so if you don't have a PS3 and don't like how the game looks, and don't even play EVE, then I have no idea what your purpose here is.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

If that upsets you so much, buy a PS3.

You do realise that DUST has been trounced by Planetside 2 - a game that has already been released?

You realise that the PS3 is satuarated by FPSs?

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Ive pesonally had more enjoyment out of Dust514 in the few hours ive played it then i have ever had in PlanetSide 2. Whats that say about PlanetSide 2? Dust514 with a controller feels like a better mmofps then Planetside2. If i got a decent kb and mouse and switch to them i would be enjoying Dust514 alot better. I think people are just bitching about it becauses it's PS3 only and if that is the case they need to get over it. 

Edit for typos.. Removed quote also. Quoted wrong player ><

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I'm unsure why people mention the PS4 and that DUST 514 was for PS3.

Do they not think the game can be on both?

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Because they hate consoles. Plain and simple. PS3 has been releasing ps1 and ps2 on its stores for years. I guess when PS4 launches(which i doubt will happen until 2014/15 at the earliest E3 or not) they thing Dust will just die. Just a bunch of bitter EVE/PC gamers who want anything and everything to revolve around PC.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by itbewilly
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Because they hate consoles. Plain and simple. PS3 has been releasing ps1 and ps2 on its stores for years. I guess when PS4 launches(which i doubt will happen until 2014/15 at the earliest E3 or not) they thing Dust will just die. Just a bunch of bitter EVE/PC gamers who want anything and everything to revolve around PC.

I love my PC, it's one hell of a gaming machine.  EVE is a game played on my PC.  I also enjoy gaming on several consoles.

I agree with a lot of what you say though.  One thing about the PS4 - I hope every SKU of it includes backwards compatability, at least to the PS3.  If Sony doesn't have any backwards compatibility built into their new Playstation, and Microsoft includes it again in their next Xbox, I would imagine there'd be some pretty decent discussions around that topic.

I've never really seen enough PS3 games that would make me want to buy the system.  Recently though, with DUST 514, Journey, and Ni no Kuni, the list of games for PS3 is getting almost long enough for me to buy one, just in time for the next playstaiton to be announced ha

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Didn't sony put a lot of moneys into Dust 514 ? It would seems natural for them to get the exclusive ? I don't know just asking
  • DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92
    Dust 514, even though being linked to EVE, is not an MMO, it's just an arena shooter. You sit in a lobby, queue up for a match, join a map, and then fight til one side loses. And actually, this game promotes spawn camping, something I am completely against. If you want to play an FPS arena shooter, Battlefield is a way better game. I have a feeling once CCP's exclusive contract is up we will see Dust on PC, it's pretty much the only way they will be able to make money on the game.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    As soon as I started this game up on my PS3 I thought "this should have been on PC". I haven't even played it much but the interest level from ps3 players seems minimal and the PC poeple that would probably play it, can't.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

This will be yet another Tabula Rasa...  

Actually this will be more like the Rapid Assault vs WWII Online drama.

Tabula Rasa is at least standalone and is pretty original concept. It main failings was the company politics that was going on in the background, not so much with the game itself.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

You do realise that DUST has been trounced by Planetside 2 - a game that has already been released?

You realise that the PS3 is satuarated by FPSs?

Yeah DUST will have no chance in the face of games like Planetside 2 or even any ordinary shooter.

It is not going to appeal to console players because of the complexity of the interface, and it is not going to appeal to PC players enough to by a PS3 just for this because it promised Planetside 2 scale, but delivered Mechwarrior Online-esqe arena deathmatch.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663
    Originally posted by crysent

Firstly, Sony paid them cash towards the development costs, hence PS3 exclusive. Also how long do you think it would take the EvE playerbase to write the hacks and cheats for a PC version.

Quoted for truth. If an EVE play can find a way around it, they always will.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

They are not even trying to get EVE players to play. Tey WANT to appeal to a different segment, and the game certainly succeds in doing that.

Jove was never shown or adverticed as playable in DUST. They where originalyy going to be a playable race in EVE, but that idea was dropped long before the release of EVE. So your statement is wrong.

The game runs of the EVE Tranquility server, so I have no clue what you are on about...

Same as 1, and still, its how they want it.

Just my 10 cents.

I have said it on these forums before, Lets meet back here in a year an evaluate. I potentially think they have a hit, but as this junkture its too hard to call yet.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Scottgun

If so, I'm out.

It's F2P but those EvE players without a PS3 console have spent a year whining instead of saving up for a console and now feel left out.

Sorry, but DUST 514 isn't even worth the time investment, even if you already own a PS3. Not for me at least.

This discussion has been closed.