Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about combat in groups!

Hey, I was wondering if ARR will have the group combat mechanic that was present in FF 11. I think they where called skill chains. Certain skills where openers, others where finishers and inbetween. Sucessfully completing one gave the group bonsues. I found this to be a fun and interesting mechanic! If anyone has any info I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Comments

• DaroufDarouf Member Posts: 3

Hey, 

Although there are no plans for skillchains the way FF11 did it, there is something to replace it. It's called the limit break system.  Basically parties will have a common gauge that they have to fill together in order to fire huge spells / abilities. the gauge will fill when your party battles foes and will fill faster when your party do "fine plays" (the fine play system hasen't really been explained yet).  Once the bar is filled, one person in the party fires the limit break, depending on what class/job and how filled is your limit gauge, something will happen.

Here's a video that shows a bit of the limit break system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJt3UOBhU8

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76
    Interesting, I am slightly dissapointed skill chains are out...but I am excited to learn more about this new system! It sounds cool and depending on just how much these super skills matter...might be extra incentive to switch what class you are more often then I thought. Really curious about these "fine plays" as well....If I was to speculate on it a bit...I would guess perhaps it's like a "pseudo skill chain". For example..say a warrior uses a skill to debuf enemy armor...and a ranger follows up with a high dmg shot to take advantage of it...perhaps smart plays like that would be considered "fine plays"?
  • DaroufDarouf Member Posts: 3
    Yea, I'm also curious about the fine play system, I hope its something like you said.  and btw, there are still skill chains ingame but they're individuals, its a combo system.  You can chain certain of your own abilities in a certain order with a directional input in order to add some effects to them.
  • c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    I still believe in SE, ffxi was such an amazing game imo.  Let me rephrase, at launch it was a great game, nonetheless I enjoyed ffxiv as well.  Forced partying and a little difficulty would be nice.  We dont all want to be max level in a month and a half SE.  One can dream
  • jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Darouf

Hey, 

Although there are no plans for skillchains the way FF11 did it, there is something to replace it. It's called the limit break system.  Basically parties will have a common gauge that they have to fill together in order to fire huge spells / abilities. the gauge will fill when your party battles foes and will fill faster when your party do "fine plays" (the fine play system hasen't really been explained yet).  Once the bar is filled, one person in the party fires the limit break, depending on what class/job and how filled is your limit gauge, something will happen.

Here's a video that shows a bit of the limit break system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJt3UOBhU8

While i was a avid ffxi fan at launch and loved the skill chain system, i'm hoping they improved upon that idea like the looks of this limit break video.  Waiting for 100tp and adding a magic burst at the end was fun for the time, but im hoping they enhanced upon this idea and from the looks of this video they have.  Allowing the party to share a limit break gauge is a great idea i hope they allow other classes such as brd's, whm's etc to execute plays with skill that enhance the speed at which the bar grows not just dps and blm's

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

The only thing we really know is that the party system will be fundamentally different than FFXI's in that you are able to switch jobs on the fly no matter where you are simply by equiping that classes' weapon.  This allows for a new type of game play where you could be a bard during boss fights, and a warrior during trash mobs to help your group.

Something like this occurred in 1.0 in that Tanks needed to have both Warrior and Paladin leveled for speed groups as one was better for AoE than the other to quickly clear the area.  It mainly just made tanking more complicated and or difficult to become a good one, while also making people who only wanted to play paladin or some such unable to do such unless they were with friends who didn't care about DPS or Time Completion.

I'd say that to be in a "pro" team you'll need at least one DPS, One AoE DPS, one healer, and two tanks fully maxed on a single character due to the on the fly mentality the game has.  Though with the changes to each class that were promised, perhaps each will provide the necessary tools to be valuable without switching constantly.

As a whole the combat is much more fast paced, you can perform attacks while moving and not be locked in place, and you don't have to gain TP to attack (You start with max TP and it regenerates at a quick pace for melee abilities).  Monks are said to be able to chain attacks almost infinitely with the new changes they are being given.  How the Limit Break is gained is anyone's guess, but hopefully it resets every time someone changes a class to make it less inticing to do so in dungeons.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.