Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going to start WoW....for the first time.

I wanted to sub a couple of games, and I have decided to try WoW and EVE. I tried WoW many of times (free trials only) and never cared for it. After a coworker of mine convinced me and I have played some more I have decided that it seems really diverse and fun. After all, Sheldon the Big Bang guys play it!!!! It's gotta be fun!

Comments

• Moe4871Moe4871 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Just don't be a fanboy. Enjoy the game for what it is and not because someone else likes it.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Moe4871
    Just don't be a fanboy. Enjoy the game for what it is and not because someone else likes it.

^

What Larry, Curly and Moe said.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by silverseed71
    I wanted to sub a couple of games, and I have decided to try WoW and EVE. I tried WoW many of times (free trials only) and never cared for it. After a coworker of mine convinced me and I have played some more I have decided that it seems really diverse and fun. After all, Sheldon the Big Bang guys play it!!!! It's gotta be fun! 

Also, Don't let people get you down on your experience. If your having fun dont let anyone ruin that.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

As others have said, have fun and enjoy your gaming experience, I for one like WoW a lot and could care less who hates the game. I play it for me. If you like it, play it.. If you begin to not like it, step back from it.

Enjoy your gaming adventures!!

• Moe4871Moe4871 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

^

I'm more like Curly, actually.

• silverseed71silverseed71 Member Posts: 38

I am a huge gamer. I played UO from 1997 until around 2003. I played SWG for about 3 years. I played City of Heroes from 2007 until it closed last year. I played AOC for a while plus many others.

One question. If I purchase the $59.99 game online do I have to purchase it twice for 2 different accounts for my 2 computers?

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I am a huge gamer. I played UO from 1997 until around 2003. I played SWG for about 3 years. I played City of Heroes from 2007 until it closed last year. I played AOC for a while plus many others.

One question. If I purchase the $59.99 game online do I have to purchase it twice for 2 different accounts for my 2 computers?

does the 59.99 game come with original and BC, WotLK, Cata, MoP?

Do you know of any game that you can purchase once to have multiple accounts?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• silverseed71silverseed71 Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Yes and, I have not purchased a game at the store in a long time. I created 2 accounts with City of Heroes and Age of Conan and it didn't cost any extra with the exception of the 2x $14.99  a month.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I think you'll like it. It's an old game, but it has a pretty large world to explore.  Combat is very fluid.  Very simple game to get the hang of.

Have fun!

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

^

I'm more like Curly, actually.

:)

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

Best of luck! It's a fun game with a lot of polished content. 

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Just to clear this up.  There are only 3 things you have to buy

1.  Vanilla-   This now includes Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King expansion packs.  If you buy just vanilla, the first two expansion are automatically included.  this gets you 1-80 content and costs like $10.

2.  Cataclysm -  this is the 80-85 content and costs like $19

3.  Mists of Pandabears (MoP) - this is the 85-90 content, and costs like $39

Even though I am a huge WOW fan, I would always recommend just buying the original game (which now always includes the first two expansions).  1-80 will take you a long time your first time through, at least a month or two.  The only thing you get with MoP is the monk class, you can even play a Panda without buying the MoP expansion.  I would wait until you are sure you enjoy the game before buying MoP.

and to be fair, the first MMO mentioned on BBT was Age of Conan.... so really, I wouldn´t take Sheldon´s advice....

• django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115
    World of Warcraft is a great MMO, you will have a lot of fun.
  • MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Azrile

and to be fair, the first MMO mentioned on BBT was Age of Conan.... so really, I wouldn´t take Sheldon´s advice....

He played both. The WOW clip is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSyjcib_Fps

Originally posted by Muppetier
    Originally posted by Azrile

He played both. The WOW clip is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSyjcib_Fps

yeah, I know, but the WOW episodes (this one and the one where they ebay the sword) are from much later.  I believe the very first season was the episode where Penny became addicted to Age of Conan.    which is why I said ´first´.

I love that show, but it went downhill when they started adding all the other women.  The premise is about geeky nerdy smart guys living next to a hot chick.   All of a suddent the geeky-nerdy kids are all getting laid in every episode, it takes a lot of the story away.....but annnnyway...

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

When i started WoW right at release, i've had the gaming time of my life. No other gaming experience ever came close to those days.

OP, enjoy your time and don't let them elitists tell you that WOW sucks. It may suck after you've played it for years like they did, but it's still unbeatable as a starter experience.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    If you are starting WoW, stay away from mmo forums. They are full of bitter, hateful people that arent worth listening to. Just enjoy the game.
  • IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    WoW is a well polished game. Take your time dont rush it enjoy the diffrent zones. Im sure you have fun.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

just a few things about starting WoW - 

I recommend concurrently leveling and maxing your harvesting skills. I suggest making sure your harvesting skill is maxed in whatever lvling zone you are in before moving to the next. Absorbing the harvesting in to your leveling will eliminate what would feel like a 'grind' later.

I also want you to know that you will be spammed with guild invites from the get-go (there is an option to turn off auto guild invites). Max guild lvl is 25, but don't let that fool you. A guild can max out without being an established, cohesive guild. Essentially, you can be a lackluster guild but look like a seasoned veteran guild - just keep that in mind.

Don't worry about gear until max lvl. Lvling is so fast in this game, whatever you have will be replaced within a matter of days, and sometimes, in a matter of minutes. In addition, the best gear from vanilla is worse than the worst gear from BC, and so on. So, not much point in grinding out epic gear in Vanilla, it will be replaced in your first BC zone.

You can max to lvl with just solo questing.

You can max to lvl just using the Random Dungeon Finder (post lvl 15)

You can max to lvl just PvPing.

If you do any combination of the above, you might miss some of the other stuff (i.e. you can do 3 of 10 quests in a zone, get a rdf group, return and the remaining 7 quests you may have already outlvl'd due to one dungeon - so much for seeing that whole zone....just to keep in mind - you won't see it all on the first go round.

Have fun!

• IchirokuIchiroku Member UncommonPosts: 16

I don't get it. Do you want to buy it for 2 different people (who each uses a different computer), or are you implying that you think you need to buy the game twice in order to play it yourself on 2 different computers? The game is free to download in any way, you only need one account per person that has an active Subscription. In order to open more content for that specific account, that account needs expansions activated on that account.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Don't let people discourage you. WoW has a lot to offer. It has been successful for a reason.
  • ghostfaeriesghostfaeries Member UncommonPosts: 89
    at least your coworker plays! makes gaming 10x better with buddies, in my opinion. enjoy your gaming experience. image
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

For someone like me who played World of Warcraft from release in 2004 and lasted with the game for 5+ years and had hundereds days played. Sadly World of Wacraft just became too casual friendly, simple mmorpg where serious players have no place. Believe me .. In Vanila/TBC it was totally different game. With every new datadisc from there on they just made it more simple and worse. Dungeon/Raid finder, flyeing mounts were the biggest mistakes they ever made.

But I hope you enjoy the game :) Its still one of the best mmorpgs ever made and its for sure big fun for A LOT of people. I never had bigger blast playing mmorpg than in World of warcraft at vanila/tbc!!

For me ... Final Fantasy XIV is all what I am dreaming about now :)

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Yes and, I have not purchased a game at the store in a long time. I created 2 accounts with City of Heroes and Age of Conan and it didn't cost any extra with the exception of the 2x $14.99  a month.

I am pretty sure you have to buy the full game twice for each account. Just out of curiosity, are you getting two accounts because another person will play alongside you or are you getting two accounts to two box. If the latter, you don't really need to two box in this game. It is not like in EVE where if you were a miner it was ideal to have your own hauler, or in DAoC where you ideally had a buffbot account alongside your main. WoW is pretty much all or nothing : either you solo or you group up. There is very little content outside of a couple of small group quests in the world that require two players. Usually it is 3 to 5.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.