Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is the Golden age of MMO's

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Theodwulf

For game makers it is a golden age. They are able to slap together a turd of a game and make a pile of money. It is a dark age for the MMO  consumer. The Market is driven by unethical companies that have no qualms about selling a sub-standard product. They are more interested in the "quick buck" than long term profits and readily destroy any good reputation they once had to acheive this. They are supported by legions of online shills who are payed to lie about..i mean hype these  games.   How does this story end? The consumer smartens the heck up and spends their entertainment dollars else where.  I have accepted that the industry is incapable of putting out anything of value and moved onto FTP games and offline activities..

No .. all they are guilty of is not to make the game YOU like. You are just bitter because they progress without you.

If they make a pile of money, enough people like it. That is the principle of supply and demand.

It is a good time ... just not for you.

Perhaps you should open your eyes and read some posts before jumping to such conclusions. In fact he and many others here feel the same. Think you are the only one in this thread that likes gimped games...........hmmmmm

There's no shortage of bitter burnt out mmo players on this site. It doesn't mean they're right. It just means their time has come and gone and they don't know it yet.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by DamonVile

For game makers it is a golden age. They are able to slap together a turd of a game and make a pile of money. It is a dark age for the MMO  consumer. The Market is driven by unethical companies that have no qualms about selling a sub-standard product. They are more interested in the "quick buck" than long term profits and readily destroy any good reputation they once had to acheive this. They are supported by legions of online shills who are payed to lie about..i mean hype these  games.   How does this story end? The consumer smartens the heck up and spends their entertainment dollars else where.  I have accepted that the industry is incapable of putting out anything of value and moved onto FTP games and offline activities..

No .. all they are guilty of is not to make the game YOU like. You are just bitter because they progress without you.

If they make a pile of money, enough people like it. That is the principle of supply and demand.

Perhaps you should open your eyes and read some posts before jumping to such conclusions. In fact he and many others here feel the same. Think you are the only one in this thread that likes gimped games...........hmmmmm

There's no shortage of bitter burnt out mmo players on this site. It doesn't mean they're right. It just means their time has come and gone and they don't know it yet.

Do believe you see more bitter new age gamers complaining about crappy games than you do about old timers like myself complaining about them. Just saying.

They hype up a game so much and think its better than anything in the world. Play it for 3 weeks and quit because their story dried out and they have nothing to do.

The fact is most of us old timers just want decent games that dont center on just one aspect, but all aspects of a mmo. Why should a mmo be limited to just story, or just pvp? It should have a happy medium between all features and mechanics to provide better entertainment and casual to hardcore gaming. It should be open to all sides not just one or the other. Older mmo's did this, and felt more lively. I personaly dont hate the newer games, they just arent what they could be.

Whats wrong with having a large open world in a themepark? Restricted pvp by levels to prevent griefing? To have story but no restrictions on how you evel? To have an in depth crafting system equal to the looting sysytem for combatant and crafters to be on equal grounds? To have crafters take part in pvp in a different aspect instead of fighting (craft turrets, weapons, structures, etc)?

Why must our mmos be so single sided and we just have to deal with it? Swap games every moth is not my idea of fun. The community is fun, the people make a good game. They leave every few weeks just hurts the game.

MMO's need to incooperate a wide variety of features mechanics, and aspects and be able to use them together to make a good freaking game. Not just a story or a pvp event.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

I am still playing. I doubt gamers who had given up on MMO's totally would even bother to post on this site. New players coming into the genre will only play today’s MMO's so they are going to think they are wonderful.

How many players are left on SWTOR and TSW? How many will be left on GW2 in a couple of months? 3 AAA releases, all fine games, struggling to keep players. That is not a Goldern Age of MMO's in anyone's book.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

The Golden age for me was 1997-2004

Though PC gaming died for me in 2005 thanx to the dumbing down of games with the 360 and the Wii a year later. It was just PC franchise after PC franchise moving to consoles and being dumbed down. 

Since 2010 however the PC has had a resurgence and we've had so many indie developers making games, F2P has given developers confidence to make big titles for PC again also. Then we've had Steam just becoming so massively popular that developers have confidenve their games will sell and everything now gets ported to PC. We've had amazing mods like Dayz and Black Mesa Source and No more room in Hell and we've had Minecraft which started this whole charging to play Alpha/beta thing which people now accept. Now we've had Kickstarter that has started AAA developers leaving big studios and getting players to fund their games. 

I'll be sad when the new consoles come out because developers will all jump to them and the PC will go in decline for a few years until the hardware becomes so far ahead again. The bad thing about the PC is having to use APIs, where consoles can write to metal so they're so much more efficient. Consoles that get released will be more powerful than a PC for a few years simply because of this fact, well that and how their chips are built onto the board and not in PCIE slots and what not.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Dunno about golden age but there is indeed too much to choose from and I cant find time to play everything I want. And the keep coming!!
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by jinxxed0
    Surely OP is just being sarcastic. This is the crappiest time for MMOs. It can only get worse once all the sandbox games end up failing.

Nope I am quite serious, this is the golden age for those of us who want to play a good quality mmo that is F2P or close to F2P. Although I do agree that this is not that great for sand box ers, but still you have xyson and ryzom and if you want to do a sub you have eve and DF and now AC2

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

There is little question that the best time for MMORPGs was early 2004

EQ was still in its prime

DAoC/UO/AC were all still options

EvE was growing

FFXI

SWG was still a sandbox

You can even stretch it to that moment that WoW and EQ2 launched and the other games were still thriving.  But by the end of 2005 even though Vanilla WoW was a great, great game and EQ2 was starting to become one, the early game's population was declining fast and SWG was getting NGE'd.

^ This.

STO? SWTOR? Fail. Just fail.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    No. This is maybe the emergent age of F2P MMOs but you can't declare history until the dust settles a bit. The current batch of games are all half-assed in one way or another.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Do believe you see more bitter new age gamers complaining about crappy games than you do about old timers like myself complaining about them. Just saying.

They hype up a game so much and think its better than anything in the world. Play it for 3 weeks and quit because their story dried out and they have nothing to do.

The fact is most of us old timers just want decent games that dont center on just one aspect, but all aspects of a mmo. Why should a mmo be limited to just story, or just pvp? It should have a happy medium between all features and mechanics to provide better entertainment and casual to hardcore gaming. It should be open to all sides not just one or the other. Older mmo's did this, and felt more lively. I personaly dont hate the newer games, they just arent what they could be.

Whats wrong with having a large open world in a themepark? Restricted pvp by levels to prevent griefing? To have story but no restrictions on how you evel? To have an in depth crafting system equal to the looting sysytem for combatant and crafters to be on equal grounds? To have crafters take part in pvp in a different aspect instead of fighting (craft turrets, weapons, structures, etc)?

Why must our mmos be so single sided and we just have to deal with it? Swap games every moth is not my idea of fun. The community is fun, the people make a good game. They leave every few weeks just hurts the game.

MMO's need to incooperate a wide variety of features mechanics, and aspects and be able to use them together to make a good freaking game. Not just a story or a pvp event.

You make some very good points, I to believe that a good community makes for a" better" game, I do not really believe that the community makes a good game but it sure does enhance the experience, for ex when AOC first came out I really enjoyed the game but the community was really bad and took some of the luster off.

I do not mind swapping games every few months,but I am a more casual player and though I do join a guild from time to time I also enjoy solo play or occasional grouping . Many players like myself like to switch games to keep it fresh and interesting and avoid being burnt out.

I was always surprised that Vanguard did not make more of a splash with its big open world, great crafting , Diplomacy, and good combat. On the other hand it could not run properly on many peoples computers

There are many sand boxes on the horizon so it will be interesting to see how populare they are or if they will go F2P

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    There has never been a golden age of mmos. The golden age will come when an mmo reaches the casual market, similair to how gw2 is doing it. Themeparks are the future, you just need to build on them.
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    There has never been a golden age of mmos. The golden age will come when an mmo reaches the casual market, similair to how gw2 is doing it. Themeparks are the future, you just need to build on them.

themepark games are not casual lol. Sandbox games are for  casual gamers. Are you sure you know what casual means? Because themeparks are anything but casual. And games use to be casual, just to difficult for some to grasp how to play and needed their hands held.

themepark games are not casual lol. Sandbox games are for  casual gamers. Are you sure you know what casual means? Because themeparks are anything but casual. And games use to be casual, just to difficult for some to grasp how to play and needed their hands held.

Eve is for a casual player? 

Originally posted by eddieg50

I am wondering also, name one casual sandbox. The only casual "sandbox" I can think of is minecraft. And that is not even an mmo. So, games that used to be difficult for some to grasp, and hard for new players to learn are casual? Are you sure you know what casual means? (Not at you op)

Well personaly never played eve, so cant speak 100% accurate when coming to that game.

Some games cross the line i am sure, eve is known for its hardcore elements like DF and MO. But you also have a few themeparks that do this as well. But more so sandboxes seem more casual than your forced quest line to level up forced down a path, and forced to take aprt in story. Not very casual. In sandbox you have choices, options, can decide what you want to do that minute, hour, or day.

I thought EQ2 was a pretty casual game for a themepark, and SWG was very casual for a sandbox. But more so to myself many sandboxes i do play dont center around pvp and thus are more casual. As to a themepark were i feel like im racing down a set path with no options.

Well personaly never played eve, so cant speak 100% accurate when coming to that game.

Some games cross the line i am sure, eve is known for its hardcore elements like DF and MO. But you also have a few themeparks that do this as well. But more so sandboxes seem more casual than your forced quest line to level up forced down a path, and forced to take aprt in story. Not very casual. In sandbox you have choices, options, can decide what you want to do that minute, hour, or day.

I thought EQ2 was a pretty casual game for a themepark, and SWG was very casual for a sandbox. But more so to myself many sandboxes i do play dont center around pvp and thus are more casual. As to a themepark were i feel like im racing down a set path with no options.

Swg closed down. Definantly gives back up to the idea sandboxes are the future.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Meridian 59 is completely free to play run by the original creators. They survive on donations. Classic sandbox even before UO.

www.Meridian59.com

Swg closed down. Definantly gives back up to the idea sandboxes are the future.

SWG, A tale in the desert, entropia universe, ryzom, wurm, minecraft, starquest, several others all allow casual gaming. And several more coming out that will be. Only games that claim to be sandbox but only catter to pvp like df, mo of course wont fall into that category.

And who said anything about sandboxes being the future? Only mention was by the one guy saying themeparks are the future. Themeparks have dominated the industry for 7+ years and 90% of them failed. Doesnt seem like much of a future to me.

My personal opinion will be the combination of both making one game, not cattering to either side full of game mechanics, features, aspects, elemnts, and allow you do as you see fit. Hybrid if you wish to use that term. That is the future and my personal opinion.

I play SWG daily ;)

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

*Takes a sip of coffee*

This is the Golden age of MMO's

*Spits coffee all over the monitor and now can't stop laughing*

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I am wondering also, name one casual sandbox. The only casual "sandbox" I can think of is minecraft. And that is not even an mmo. So, games that used to be difficult for some to grasp, and hard for new players to learn are casual? Are you sure you know what casual means? (Not at you op)

The more socially oriented sandboxes are usually rather casual friendly. vMTV, Free Realms, Muxlim and Kaneva are some examples of that.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227

Completely agree. Not only are they bitter and burned out, but they're also hopelessly addicted.

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

Xyson - How dare you recommend this game to anyone. As far as sandoxes go, why not recommend Mortal Online while you are at it. Simple fact, you cannot recommend a single sandbox game right now for free, the best sandbox at the moment is Eve Online which can be free if you play like a boss, but don't go selling Xyson to anyone.

LOL! Seriously?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I agree that this is the golden age for F2P MMOs. From here it may get bumpy with either new MMOs with F2P options or new quality MMOs with sub options. Those could pull away both whales and free players to make things even shakier for companies.

IMO there will be a F2P culling but the better games will still be there.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Themeparks are the definition of casual.... It's a story you follow along, if you only play a bit or all day doesn't matter. You're on a yellow brick road. You can stop playing for months and come back right where you left off. End game is really the only part of a themepark that becomes " hard core "

Sandbox, unless you treat it like a glorified chat room takes a lot of time to get anywhere in. They are not very casual friendly.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

The golden age for Publisher/Studios to take complete advantage of the mindless people that play the half assed games they develop. Sure I agree. The golden age for gamers and true development companies that actually give a damn... I don't think so. 

Your first game on the list has such a horrible F2P model its laughable to even think anyone could play this game and feel good they are playing it. 

AoC.. P2W even if your a subscriber, you still have to buy shit out of the cash shop.

LoTRO, never played it. No comment. 

GW2/GW1 - GW1 was great for its GvG thats about it. GW2 is horrible, so many things wrong with how this game was developed it would take an entire article to go over them all. But... Guild Wars without Guild v Guild... deet dah dee ANet.  

Vanguard could be a great game, if SOE put some serious development time  behind it. But with EQNext as there focus I doubt it will ever happen.  TERA is great for PvP and action style combat correct, but we don't have all the details on its F2P option and it could still end up P2W. 

AION is on its way out the door. 

EQ2 you have to pay for. 

Xyson.... This game is so bad its appalling you could even recommend this game to anyone. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Yeh .. I agree. It is very sad. If they don't like current games, they should just go do something else. It is not like they are forced to like it.

It is very sad that they have to talk down on others who like games they don't.