Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Stress Test Tomorrow!

12346»

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox hays, KSPosts: 2,073Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by corpusc
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Not sure if it's a true fps or will have pvp

it is.  

as several people mentioned earlier in the thread, they played both instanced and open world PVP during the stress test.

What I mean by true fps is a game where headshots matter, or aiming is all manual or if there's to-hit calculations involved.  I couldn't tell that headshots were doing any extra damage, but it didn't show me damage numbers either.

Still don't like the viewing angle.  I think it's unnecessary in a third person shooter.

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,506Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    The question is, why would one play Defiance over PS2?  What does defiance bring that PS2 doesnt?

PS2 is PvP only, 3 factions each having a small subset of weapons, zero pve content.

Defiance has PvE missions, open world PvP, instanced battleground PvP, dynamic alien invasion events, gear progression, world bosses, dungeons.

The two games are vastly different. Also Defiance feels more comedy/lighthearted game that doesn't take itself too seriously very much like Borderlands, while PS2 has a more serious atmosphere.

What I mean by true fps is a game where headshots matter, or aiming is all manual or if there's to-hit calculations involved.  I couldn't tell that headshots were doing any extra damage, but it didn't show me damage numbers either.

Still don't like the viewing angle.  I think it's unnecessary in a third person shooter.

Sniper rifle I had was a headshot = kill, body shots it took several hits.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

The question is, why would one play Defiance over PS2?  What does defiance bring that PS2 doesnt?

defiance is more of a traditional MMO with questing, story and such with PVP maps.. so people who want a third person shooter mixed with more traditional MMO elements may like defiance.. although after my very brief playtime I was left extremely underwhelmed.. we shall see how the full beta weekend goes to see if I keep my pre-order.

I actually disagree with calling Defiance a more of a traditional MMO, I don't see the depth there- it is not that at all, it is an action shooter game first and foremost, make no mistake about that.

• GruntyGrunty Fort Worth, TXPosts: 7,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by corpusc

Not sure if it's a true fps or will have pvp

it is.  

as several people mentioned earlier in the thread, they played both instanced and open world PVP during the stress test.

Damage number are turned off by default. They are mostly distracting and not conducive to getting lost in the game.

• corpusccorpusc Chattanooga, TNPosts: 1,330Member
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Izik

Game is def gonna appeal mainly to FPS fans, MMO fans not so much...think Firefall.

Correct, this is an MMO Shooter not a MMORPG - Trion devs have been pretty clear about that in all of their interviews, it's an action game, not an RPG game.

However TON better done than Firefall in my opinion, and doesn't have the technical issues I mentioned in my post above.

Too bad the server was so stressed that it impacted the gameplay, but hey it was a stress test... so yeah, I am just selfish I know.

Still going back to the engine... whoever coded that, it's amazing. Huge win there.

everything except massive #'s of players.  that's the only thing PS2 has going for it from an MMO perspective.  other than that its just a typical FPS game with the player count turned up.

The End
    ---------------------------
    i don't expect to like Darkfall, altho i may like it MORE than other MMOs. i know it is gonna have a very frustrating level of grind to it, even if its significantly less than most. waiting for a pure FAST action virtual world. dice rolling & character levels (even "skills") IN COMBAT should have never carried over from pencil & paper to a computer that can reasonably model 3D spaces and objects

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148 1, NJPosts: 6,690Member
    I gotta say the art work looks pretty underwhelming as well. Wasn't impressed with that but that is all I really got to see so far.
  • CypeqCypeq TychyPosts: 66Member
    They made this test USA exclusive by setting EU start time at 3 AM I was too sleepy couldn't wait... that was asshole move by devteam.
    Originally posted by cypeq86
    They made this test USA exclusive by setting EU start time at 3 AM I was too sleepy couldn't wait... that was asshole move by devteam.

The Dev team is San Diego based, I am sure they were up gathering the stress test data and tweaking server parameters which is pretty standard during a stress test, so it simply made it easier to have their employees work during their hours.

Sure its not ideal for EU but that's how it is. Also I don't know that EU server clusters are even up yet, the IP for this test was going to Dallas TX according to my IP lookup.

12346»