Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard or EverQuest 2 ?

MirslpMirslp Member UncommonPosts: 41

As the title says... what game do you think is worth my time?

Pro´s and con´s are welcome.

I played Vanguard at launch and want to return to that kind of game. I am sick of the standard themeparks the devs are throwing at us but the same time dissapointed in the Sandbox games out there. Their level of graphics seriously ruin my immersion.

I never tried the EQ series so let me know guys!

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Both are very good, but EQ2 gets more updates so i would reccomend it. Vanguard does have a 14 day trail though you might check it out also.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Vanguard as long as the community is healthy now, there's better combat, better crafting, diplomacy and you can build a house, a guild hall, a ship and Vanguard have much better exploration.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Both are very good, but EQ2 gets more updates so i would reccomend it. Vanguard does have a 14 day trail though you might check it out also.

Vanguard is F2P, been a few months now.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    EQ2 because it has better population and support by SOE. Two reasons that keeps me away from Vanguard.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MirslpMirslp Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Vanguard as long as the community is healthy now, there's better combat, better crafting, diplomacy and you can build a house, a guild hall, a ship and Vanguard have much better exploration.

Are combat really that bad in EQ2?

And i know Vanguard does not have any PvP at all (Played on the FFA PvP server back then) but does EQ have it?

• madnagashmadnagash Member Posts: 33

I love the world of Vanguard, but to be honest the games offers nothing - you can just quest and that's it. No additional goals to achieve. Housing serves no purpose. All players from the same class are basically clones, as there are no talents/alternative advancement.

EQ2 has much more fun, additional stuff to do, the alternative advancement system is very deep, no other MMO gets close. PVP is relatively fun, as it is open world and you may loot money from people, so there is some adrenaline to it. BUT there is one big issue, which to me is instancing.

Both games have terrible populations if you want to PVP. PVE servers seem fine in EQ2, but for me theyre not as fun.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Mirslp
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Are combat really that bad in EQ2?

And i know Vanguard does not have any PvP at all (Played on the FFA PvP server back then) but does EQ have it?

In my opinion, VG combat is much better than EQ2s. VG is more tactical, EQ2 is more zerg button pushing.

In VG it matters when, if, and where you use your powers in a fight, EQ2 is push all your buttons as fast as you can.

I'm sure there are folks that would argue with that - but it is how I see it.

• MirslpMirslp Member UncommonPosts: 41

Okay....

So i got the two patchers but none of them work....eh... I login with my SOE account and they both start downloading BUT then they close for some reason. Both of them. And no they are not running at the same time.

Anyone knows what is going on ?

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

If you want a glimpse into what the golden age of MMOs are, Vanguard.

It's a gem.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Everquest 2 is way better. Tried so many times to get into Vanguard but never could.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Mirslp

As the title says... what game do you think is worth my time?

Pro´s and con´s are welcome.

I played Vanguard at launch and want to return to that kind of game. I am sick of the standard themeparks the devs are throwing at us but the same time dissapointed in the Sandbox games out there. Their level of graphics seriously ruin my immersion.

I never tried the EQ series so let me know guys!

If you liked Vanguard, return to it.

EQ2 is probably the best themepark (and it was technically the first themepark), but its still a themepark.  I think its easily better than VG, but it sounds like you would enjoy VG more.

EQ2 does have the best housing in the genre, a great race and class selection, and tons of multi-stage quests involving dungeons (and raids if thats your thing).  And the population is much healthier than VG, but the VG server i think is fairly active these days since f2p and the new raid.

• BlackcatZeroBlackcatZero Member UncommonPosts: 58
    if running Windows 7 or 8 use admin to run the patch.  the games mess up on Patching.. if having trouble downloading the games not sure try Stream because they are both small files when you download them.
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    EQ2 because it has better population and support by SOE. Two reasons that keeps me away from Vanguard.

Ummm, you do realize that Vanguard is a Sony product ? Also F2P. I'd go Vanguard it's the true successor to EQ.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Vanguard:

Pros:

best crafting, cardgame called diplomacy that when played and won against npcs u and all others in that area get buffs of all sorts.

Huge world with no instances It's all open no loading screens.

Best classes I have ever seen (personal opinion)

Dev team is asigned to Vanguard so expect more updates in the future

Oldschool feeling with plenty of dungeons.

Great and funny tactical combat

Cons: Still somewhat buggy at some places but not gamebreaker ones

butt ugly character models

low pop althou it is rising.

Everquest 2:

Pros:

Intresting classes

Great crafting not as good as VG but better than the rest of  resent themeparks MMO

Plenty of expantions over the years.

Old school feel althou EQ2 has been dumbed down during the years.

Great and funny questlines

Healthy population

Cons:

Loading screens

badly optimized engine even a great PC can struggle on max settings.

Compare combat to VG, EQ2 is poor and boring but against other MMOs its ok.

For personal pref I would pick Vanguard over EQ2.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Played both last year, liked Vanguard a lot more, and was rather disappointed with what EQ2 has turned into.

EQ2 certainly is more populated, but you spend most of the game doing solo quest hubs at this point. Previously difficult dungeons are now soloable with whatever buffing/changes they apparently made to all the gear in the game.

I'd say Vanguard is more group friendly, and open ended. Yes it has quest hubs, but they're much more open ended in that they largely don't hold your hand from one area to another, you can pick a direction, go that way, and see what kind of quests/dungeons you run into.

Crafting and Diplomacy is also fun, if you are looking for alternative gameplay beyond killing stuff.

If anything I feel Vanguard is currently more true to vanilla EQ/EQ2. I guess the changes in those games are due to the playerbase largely being top heavy. It makes it easier for new players to catch up/solo their way to end game stuff.

edit: In all fairness though both games are free now. Best way to decide is to probably spend an evening on each and see which one you had more fun with.

• NullailNullail Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I asked myself the same question a month ago and im now playing Vanguard again. I finished leveling my ranger from 52 to 55 and started raiding again...and im enjoying it A LOT

Hunter Nullail Destruction - 85 Ranger. Bristlebane (Solusek Ro) - EQ
    Knight-Captain Nullail - 60 Hunter. C'Thun - Pre TBC - WoW
    Nullail - 80 BE Hunter.Kor'Gall - WoW
    Hunter Nullail - 55 Ranger. Telon - VG
    Nullail Destruction - Archer/Bard - Cerberus. FFXIV

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I tried both side by side and ended up taking EQ 2 off my computer.

EQ2 has a lot of content, not as much "creakiness" a decent community, lots to do.

Still, I didn't like how the world was made, design of the zones, the cutseyness "mr. puddlewick has lost his hammer, and needs your help!" the odd running animations that make it look like a bad version if a 1920's movie, etc.

Vanguard seems less cute, I prefer the open world, I like the classes better Though i truth I enjoyed both dark knight versions and both paladin versions in each game.

Vanguard has more creakiness, bugs, etc.

It's a bit more "hardcore" or "old school" as far as death penalty.

I enjoyed wandering around Vangaurd far more.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

EQ2.. for so many fine reasons.

The biggest being that while Vanguard has a massive world.. it has A LOT less content than EQ2. It's all good and well having such a large (deceptively) open world.. but most of it is just empty space or massive mob spawn areas.

I say deceptively because you will still hit zone borders which causes you to load. If one person is on one side of the border and one on the other, you can't see each other.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Vannor

EQ2.. for so many fine reasons.

The biggest being that while Vanguard has a massive world.. it has A LOT less content than EQ2. It's all good and well having such a large (deceptively) open world.. but most of it is just empty space or massive mob spawn areas.

I say deceptively because you will still hit zone borders which causes you to load. If one person is on one side of the border and one on the other, you can't see each other.

I found that to be a plus.

Vanguard's world is more about it being a world than just a lot of quest hubs. Of course it has those but I don't do quests if I can avoid them and I found that it was very nice just wandering around and exploring in vanguard. I would say that if one wants a steady stream of quests "EVERquest 2" would be a good choice.

I also preferred the open areas without mobs as, again, it felt more like a world and less like constant fields of mobs.

There are "borders" where you hit a chunk or area and can get a slight hiccup or slight loading (in vanguard that is). Could be a deal breaker for some. I didn't mind it (though would prefer not to have it of course).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Both are good, both are free, and both offer lots of content. THough EQ2 has many many more expansions and the combat to me is better. If you just buy one expansion from EQ2 you get all the older ones as well. So the value for both is there as well. And both have cash shops but if i remember right they are mostly cosmetics.

Been playing EQ2 since " Original Activation Date: November 19, 2004" And has kept me occupied on and off over the ages. My personal preference is EQ2. Try them both, or even spend the 19.99 for SOE all access pass and try all the games ;)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

That's a funny play of words, Support and SOE don't belong in the same sentence.

experiences vary -  but ive always had solid SOE support for EQ2

the only issue I have w SOE support is its closed on weekends

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    VG is overal better game and actually feels like open virtual world, but EQ2 is more supported and has much more content/things to do. You decide
  • EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    I've always been a vanilla EQ fan and it's been nearly impossible to replicate that same level of addiction. For some reason or other, I never played EQ2 or Vanguard. Since burning out on GW2, I've decided to hit the download button on Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, thanks in part to this wonderful pro's and con's thread I happened to surf upon. Thanks!
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Heres my two cents worth:

EQ2-Very much a theme park on rails game.....Theres some exploration if you like that but most is just go from here to there and quest quest quest till your brain falls out....End game raiding isn't too bad and the housing and crafting systems are nice....It is f2p but it is very restrictive.

Vanguard-Always had technical issues with this game....It seems for some of us it just never runs well and others have no issue....The crafting is fun and it has a huge world to explore...Not as much of a theme park as EQ2......End game is not as good as they only have a couple raids...Its f2p and pretty much similar to EQ2 in taht regards.