Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do we really need races?

Comments

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    I like diverse races / species in my MMORPGs, and RPGs in general. If I wanted to roleplay a human, I'd just go outside.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Multiple races are not needed. One can have a MMO without multiple races. More races add flavor, background, lore, history, and many times conflict into a MMO, so I think multiple races are preferable.

Originally posted by Quirhid
    There is no negative impact to PvP if the system is balanced, but usually it isn't. Infact, I can't remember a balanced PvP game with races...I'm not a fan of races if they funnel you into specific classes. It is effectively the same as restricting specific class choices to specific races only it gives more ways to gimp yourself. If Orc Warrior is the only good warrior, then only orcs should be warriors. If goblins make poor warriors, goblins shouldn't have that as an option.But I don't care about babysitting stupid players. Let them make their poor choices if they want to, however I do mind it when those same ignorant people claim this is "depth". More choices to gimp yourself is not depth no matter how you spin it.
    Depth...
    One path to take or many paths to take?

Is every hero you read about or watch perfect? What do you base your character's perfection on? Does any of your characters have a flaw? One flaw that lends (OMG) depth to them?

I know... Your character is just a bunch of pixels with numbers attached to them. The bigger the numbers, the better the character. Kind of like FPS games, no? Who cares if they have pointy ears or a smushed up nose, or short or tall? I realize your gaming style is more popular, but races do add depth to a game.

Races add depth to character creation (new and non-human looks, inherent or special abilities, and possibly special affinities (like magic, smithing, bows).

Races add depth to lore, like which race was created first or last? Is there an immortal type race? What races were created by what Gods?

Races add depth to the world with racial cities, like tree towns, underground complexes, maybe even water villages.

I suppose one could argue that one race could cover all of this, but they would have very little imagination. Imagination which is the foundation of fantasy MMORPGs.

Also, no one asked you to "babysit" anybody. Kill them with your perfect cookie cutter character (exactly like every other perfect cookie cutter character you copied from a website) and laugh in their faces. I really see no depth what-so-ever in that. Everyone ends up playing the exact same thing.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Multiple races are not needed. One can have a MMO without multiple races. More races add flavor, background, lore, history, and many times conflict into a MMO, so I think multiple races are preferable.

There is no negative impact to PvP if the system is balanced, but usually it isn't. Infact, I can't remember a balanced PvP game with races...

I'm not a fan of races if they funnel you into specific classes. It is effectively the same as restricting specific class choices to specific races only it gives more ways to gimp yourself. If Orc Warrior is the only good warrior, then only orcs should be warriors. If goblins make poor warriors, goblins shouldn't have that as an option.

But I don't care about babysitting stupid players. Let them make their poor choices if they want to, however I do mind it when those same ignorant people claim this is "depth". More choices to gimp yourself is not depth no matter how you spin it.

Depth...

Is every hero you read about or watch perfect? What do you base your character's perfection on? Does any of your characters have a flaw? One flaw that lends (OMG) depth to them?

I know... Your character is just a bunch of pixels with numbers attached to them. The bigger the numbers, the better the character. Kind of like FPS games, no? Who cares if they have pointy ears or a smushed up nose, or short or tall? I realize your gaming style is more popular, but races do add depth to a game.

Races add depth to character creation (new and non-human looks, inherent or special abilities, and possibly special affinities (like magic, smithing, bows).

Races add depth to lore, like which race was created first or last? Is there an immortal type race? What races were created by what Gods?

Races add depth to the world with racial cities, like tree towns, underground complexes, maybe even water villages.

I suppose one could argue that one race could cover all of this, but they would have very little imagination. Imagination which is the foundation of fantasy MMORPGs.

Also, no one asked you to "babysit" anybody. Kill them with your perfect cookie cutter character (exactly like every other perfect cookie cutter character you copied from a website) and laugh in their faces. I really see no depth what-so-ever in that. Everyone ends up playing the exact same thing.

a much better answer than mine, but of course, i'm just trolling.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Well, in the beginning i wanted just make fun of you for bringing up biology here.

But reading wikipedia is fun and in this case was slighly enlightening.

So now i hold the belief that your insistence on using biology terminology is misplaced, we are not talking about things that posess DNA.

We are talking about race in the context of rpg games, and most people will understand it for what it really means here, a more fundamental characteristic of a character (playable or not) that most often manifests itself in the cosmetic or appearance area, but may also influence other aspects, like availability of classes, gear restrictions and bonuses/penalties of all kinds.

There i see the difference between "character race" and you mentioning the use of the word "hacker" to label cheaters to make news stories more sensational.

Flame on!

:)

Wiki is convenient. However, not a credible source to facts. Anyone can contribute to Wiki, and it is also heavily moderated. By who? Who's side are they on and why? No university professor accepts Wiki as a source because of this. Not trying to lecture you, just point this out. So just be careful.

Anyways, in my defense, my thoughts on the matter go well beyond biology. Due to the RoC, I cannot freely express my thoughts in regards to the use of the word "race" incorrectly replacing the word "species" . Such as the purpose or intent, for example. I just limited myself to pointing out the fact that the use of the word "race" and "species" is technically incorrect from scientific fact. Not an PhD level of understanding, but a fact that is commonly learned in the most basic biology curriculum.

No big deal, due to it pertaining to video games. I know. We both discussed our views on importance and unimportance. But the truth be told, when I read the title, I thought the OP was asking for something else.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

I would argue no - many very good fantasy and scifi stories have only human 'player' characters.

The extra effort that goes into resizing and refitting gear for the various races in a normal game could instead go into creating more variety of gear - cultural etc. variance which would enrich the game just as much.

Just my two-pence on the subject, and a very subjective subject it is...

truth

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    A game can be great with only one race (Original UO). I do like having multiple races, but I don't think it would bother me in the slightest if there was only one available in a GREAT game.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

There is no negative impact to PvP if the system is balanced, but usually it isn't. Infact, I can't remember a balanced PvP game with races...

I'm not a fan of races if they funnel you into specific classes. It is effectively the same as restricting specific class choices to specific races only it gives more ways to gimp yourself. If Orc Warrior is the only good warrior, then only orcs should be warriors. If goblins make poor warriors, goblins shouldn't have that as an option.

But I don't care about babysitting stupid players. Let them make their poor choices if they want to, however I do mind it when those same ignorant people claim this is "depth". More choices to gimp yourself is not depth no matter how you spin it.

Depth...

What I wrote went completely over your head, didn't it? You sure proved that with your last paragraph. If everyone ends up playing the same build, because it is the only good one, then the game is shallow. You gimp yourself all you want, but again, don't claim its depth.

Which one would you choose:

• Shoot yourself in the hand
    • Shoot yourself in the foot
    • Shoot yourself in the head
    • Don't shoot yourself
    There is no depth when only one of the choices is good!

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    Originally posted by NorseGod

Anyways, in my defense, my thoughts on the matter go well beyond biology. Due to the RoC, I cannot freely express my thoughts in regards to the use of the word "race" incorrectly replacing the word "species" . Such as the purpose or intent, for example. I just limited myself to pointing out the fact that the use of the word "race" and "species" is technically incorrect from scientific fact. Not an PhD level of understanding, but a fact that is commonly learned in the most basic biology curriculum.

Then i think your thought process is not deep enough, because imo almost everything that is beeing discussed here and what happens and is done in and to these games goes into a completely opposite direction as that what you are hinting at.

Scientific fact is based on proof and experimentation and stuff like that, proving and demonstrating that a fictional character is of a different species as an other fictional character could be quite difficult, especially if the author says that they can produce hybrids...

Flame on!

:)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Grunty

And just which race should all avatars be? How restrictive should that race's individual appearance be? Should they all be one gender? One color?  One height? One age? One weight?

How boring do you want avatars to be?

Asherons Cal had 3 races at release, all Humans (Asian, British & Middle Eastern) and all races were the same size but it was the cosmetics and armor you worse that differentiated you.  Instead of having 20 races and 7-8 armor skins at endgame you had 3 races and about 14 milltion armor/appearance combinations.  So which type has the greater variety?  AC!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,743

Gaming studios think we like races in MMO’s, practically fantasy ones, so they are here to stay. I like them myself and I don’t think they take away from other aspects of the game. Less human models for more other race models. Less human lore for more other race lore. I don’t see this as a sinkhole for devs time, if they are not detailing other races they would have more on humans.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    SWG was great for races. Star Wars with actual Races, sorry SWTOR = FAIL.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

Seems it great fashion for latest game design to bring several races, more or less pretty or ugly.

Was there a time when MMOs didn't have a diverse set of races? Is there something in particular about the latest game design of races that you dislike?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Asherons Cal had 3 races at release, all Humans (Asian, British & Middle Eastern) and all races were the same size but it was the cosmetics and armor you worse that differentiated you.  Instead of having 20 races and 7-8 armor skins at endgame you had 3 races and about 14 milltion armor/appearance combinations.  So which type has the greater variety?  AC!

Good point. AC's gear diversity was the result of an extensive dying system and dynamic loot. By keeping the races similar in side but diverse in minor appearances it allowed the player far greater customization, diversity and choice in other selections.

More races would have meant either just different skin hues on the same models (boring) or different character models, which would have impacted the ability to churn out cool, customizable gear.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert
    Go play Guild Wars 1.. PROBLEM SOLVED, THREAD CLOSED!

Not really an MMO

Had to say it :P

Wow really? Was expecting a reply, but not this stoopid.. 

Last time I checked having a few thousand players in an online game environment communicating with eachother, that was still called a MMO.. 

But please do be so kind to "enlighten" us with your endless wisdom on the definition of a MMO..?

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

Not really an MMO

Last time I checked having a few thousand players in an online game environment communicating with eachother, that was still called a MMO.. 

But please do be so kind to "enlighten" us with your endless wisdom on the definition of a MMO..?

Cooperative online role playing game is how ANET described GW1 themselves actually, go look it up.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85

I love having lots of races to choose from in games. I can't stand it when a game has severely limited options for races, usually if the game only offers 1 or 2 races they are so human-like that I don't even want to play! I want to play fantasy games where there are a vast amount of differences among the avatars, I don't want to play a clone of what everyone else is playing - how boring.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

Not really an MMO

There is a difference between a chatroom and a game world.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

We need races if it makes sense in the world to have races.

Just throwing in a slime man, bug man, cat man, elf man, etc. isn't going to work if it seems incongrous to the world.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Not really an MMO

Don't reply to that. They're just trolling you.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

You gimp yourself all you want, but again, don't claim its depth.Which one would you choose:
    Shoot yourself in the handShoot yourself in the footShoot yourself in the headDon't shoot yourself

Again, I ask what you decided was not worthy of a response:
    Does a character with a flaw or two have more depth than a perfect character, or not?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

LoTRO sure does need races, it comes out of it's origin. Here we don't even need to discuss.

GW1 worked very well with humans, although game is outdated by now in term of character customization,
    which I see to be really deep for good game. I'm pretty much agree with people who wants less races but more custom options, so do I.
    race don't need to be human or even dwarf, not sure about you, but I'm sorta bored of same menu at most of fantasy games. Si-Fi has own reasons, so they need more races IMO.

why not make 2 races without prof restrictions and with balanced race ability (like one can regen HP but 2nd take way less damage, just an example).

and why not elf (seems all like them) and banshee (only saw as NPC so far); lets devs create deep lore and large home worlds for both; lets them to be different to the point not to see they are all same, but keep distance between races.
    Sure we can make 4 races (for more options), but it will, IMO, eat time could be used to make better starter areas etc.

Factions can be good or bad, all against all may work as good as PvP (some games use it, I'm not fun of PvP, but found arena at Atlantica fun).

I asked what you guys thinking as lately I don't really see deep race design, more some appearance and sometime not even that much difference.
    So I though devs doing just cosmetic races to get us interested about.
    As they fail to offer deep race interpretation, IMO again, I vote for less races but better work.

Thanks all for answers, even trolls were lovely! =

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I honestly prefer when multiple races are in a game and I get to play as any (or at least most) of them.  I have lived my entire life as a human; why not take the opportunity to not be human when given the chance?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

TSW and EVE dont have races but factions  ^^

i play GW2 and they only reason i made human (alt ) is for the female thief cultural armor of tier 3 ...

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Races or skins?

UO showed that it is fine without races and if different races have different stats the min/max gaming is annoying.

Allowing players to have different skins though, even monster skins  - why not.

You gimp yourself all you want, but again, don't claim its depth.

Which one would you choose:

• Shoot yourself in the hand
    • Shoot yourself in the foot
    • Shoot yourself in the head
    • Don't shoot yourself
    Again, I ask what you decided was not worthy of a response:
    Does a character with a flaw or two have more depth than a perfect character, or not?

I'm talking game depth, not "character depth". Game depth is measured in the amount of good choices you can make. Bad choices do not add to game depth. Therefore gimped builds do not bring depth to the game.

Again, one good choice, "a perfect choice", would make the game shallow.