Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or does the combat kind of suck?

wfsaxtonwfsaxton Member UncommonPosts: 73

Maybe I'm "doing it wrong" but the few times I've been in combat (during my initial training), its been very lackluster.  EVERY ability freezes you in place for a second or two.  Parrying seems clunky because there seems to be a delay in 'casting' it.  Also, the lack of strafing and mouse movement is really annoying.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    YES. I played the game for like 2-3 hours and that was enough for me, combat felt very unresponsive and slow, couldnt take it anymore. Rest of the game seemed interesting tho so.. if they manage to get rid of those delays I might give it a second try.
  • klerkenklerken Member UncommonPosts: 53
    It takes some getting used to, still feel a bit clunky to mé. In renards to the strafing if you turn of the age of wushu special keybindings it plays just like standard mmos imo
  • Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    The combat gets better and I'm surprisingly having a lot of fun with this one.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I liked everything about this game except for combat. I did give it a good try though thinking maybe combat will get better. So i am passing on this one.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by wfsaxton

Maybe I'm "doing it wrong" but the few times I've been in combat (during my initial training), its been very lackluster.  EVERY ability freezes you in place for a second or two.  Parrying seems clunky because there seems to be a delay in 'casting' it.  Also, the lack of strafing and mouse movement is really annoying.

Hi,

Do you have high latency?

I tried first on th NA server from Norway and was getting 500 ms network lag. Combat felt very unresponsive.

Playing on the russian server with 100 ms is a world appart. The combat is also not as complex in the start, but as it evolves you have much more options. It's not twich based combat though so if you are used to fps games it might feel a bit slow.

Not sure what you mean about lack of strafing, q and e works fine.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Combat is different. For example, you spam you die. Rock-paper-scissor. Give it time OP. Trust me I know it's no fun dieing over and over. Word of advice, leave those guy out front of Chengu alone for a few weeks ;)

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW1scHmANSI

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by Jean_Luc_Picard

Combat feels slow, non resposive and clumsy, which is kinda weird for a "martial arts" based game. The overall production quality of the game is similarly poor anyway.

I still hope someday, a GOOD developer will make a sandbox game with an as high production quality as all those theme park games.

Yeah ok you dont like the game we got that so why not just move on?

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Honestly as a sandbox junkie and someone that loves good pve/pvp combat, somewhat. Has good design but just feels a little clunky around the edges.  Over times (and this is beta) im sure they will (hopefuly) fix that up. Its not bad, but not great. A happy medium for me.

Im sure some will disagree and everyone has their own ideas and likes/dislikes. But its not that bad. Probably once you play for awhile and it grows on you it will become better. But yes does need some small improvements.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

You're probably doing it wrong tbh.

I am also still doing it wrong most of the time and in PvP I usually end up face-first for most of the fights.

Timing and mobility seems really important, at first I was constantly blocking and engaging enemies head on, which did not prove to be a good strategy, as feint moves break the block and usually knock you down. Like in fighting games, I also found out that it's important to get away from enemies when they start their flurry of moves, otherwise you're knocked down and are lost anyhow.

Yesterday I had my first real good fight: I used Tai Chi sword (wudang) against a higher strength opponent, he bursted me down super quick, but I could get away like 5 times with a super small amount of health and use my special recovery skill. Eventually I got on to his rithm and I blocked skills without giving him the chance to feint and owned him with my rage ability.

I will say that the combat is quite choppy sometimes, mostly because almost all abilities are instant and the GCD of 1.5s leaves you with about a second between each skill.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

sounds like ping problem, as for strafing/slide You need get skill for it

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

I didn't care for the combat either, it felt very slow and lackluster. Did not feel martial art-y at all really.

I liked other aspects of it, but not the combat.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Dunno if it sux and could care less if it does but your simple phrase I highlighted in light blue should be enough of a warning flag to know the game is not very good.  If the combat is that few and far between no amount of combat flow or animations could make the game good.  MMO's are about combat at least 75% of the time and if there isnt enough action then the game becoems boring, which is one of the biggest reasons why I dislike sandbox gameplay so much.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by tet666
    Originally posted by Jean_Luc_Picard

Combat feels slow, non resposive and clumsy, which is kinda weird for a "martial arts" based game. The overall production quality of the game is similarly poor anyway.

I still hope someday, a GOOD developer will make a sandbox game with an as high production quality as all those theme park games.

Yeah ok you dont like the game we got that so why not just move on?

Probably for the very reasons why people bash GW2, SWTOR or WoW to this day.  People, especially on this site love to bash first and praise second.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Dunno if it sux and could care less if it does but your simple phrase I highlighted in light blue should be enough of a warning flag to know the game is not very good.  If the combat is that few and far between no amount of combat flow or animations could make the game good.  MMO's are about combat at least 75% of the time and if there isnt enough action then the game becoems boring, which is one of the biggest reasons why I dislike sandbox gameplay so much.

Lol, you really don't know much about this game, it is based around PvP. There is as much combat as choose to enter into and more.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Have to agree with the clunky description. The moves are fresh but how you put it together lacks flow imo. The game has some cool going on but feels a bit flat to me, especially the lack of voicing and sound design. Think i hit a gamebreaking bug where my guide can't progress. It's telling me to get more darts from li chang who is named differently in game (bad translation I guess) but he doesnt offer me more darts in any shape or form. So my toon is stuck it seems at that point. Anyone know what I can do? Would like to get deeper in but as of now it's kind of turning me off.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by DaezAster

Have to agree with the clunky description. The moves are fresh but how you put it together lacks flow imo. The game has some cool going on but feels a bit flat to me, especially the lack of voicing and sound design. Think i hit a gamebreaking bug where my guide can't progress. It's telling me to get more darts from li chang who is named differently in game (bad translation I guess) but he doesnt offer me more darts in any shape or form. So my toon is stuck it seems at that point. Anyone know what I can do? Would like to get deeper in but as of now it's kind of turning me off.

Only the first part of the story line quests are available right now, not sure if that is your problem would help to know which story you picked and which school and who gives the quest ect.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

I think one of the reasons the combat comes off as clunky to a lot of people is because blocking is bound to rmb by default.

I know it put me off when I started; I'm used to using rmb to turn my char around while fighting, and as soon as I entered combat it felt very strange not being able to get the fluidity I'm used to. Also, since I kept pressing rmb out of pure habit, I was blocking when I wasn't intending to, which also meant I couldn't jump or move around properly.

As soon as I rebound the blocking key I got a much better feeling for how the combat works. Moving and positioning is pretty vital, as is a proper understanding of how the skills (both yours and your opponent's) work - just standing around spamming rotations won't do which is probably another reason for the complaints.

People treat this like a standard tab-targeting game where you just find the "I win" button, lock on and spam away, but it's not.

• django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115
    The combat is different in a sense, but I see where you all are coming from as I felt like that when I first started combat training. But I was really interested in this game and had hopes that the combat would get better and sooner or later it got heaps better. When you start combining your normal skills with your flying skills and not just the one you are given at the start then it really gets fun. PvP combat has never really been my thing, but chasing a spy from another school was a lot of fun. Give this game a good go if you are interested, the combat does get better.
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

It starts slow and doesnt impress until you get more abilities, cinguns and know what to do. Then it becomes one of the best and deepest combat systems in MMORPG genre.

And ya, rebind blocking. I did it right away

• wfsaxtonwfsaxton Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Biskop

I think one of the reasons the combat comes off as clunky to a lot of people is because blocking is bound to rmb by default.

I know it put me off when I started; I'm used to using rmb to turn my char around while fighting, and as soon as I entered combat it felt very strange not being able to get the fluidity I'm used to. Also, since I kept pressing rmb out of pure habit, I was blocking when I wasn't intending to, which also meant I couldn't jump or move around properly.

As soon as I rebound the blocking key I got a much better feeling for how the combat works. Moving and positioning is pretty vital, as is a proper understanding of how the skills (both yours and your opponent's) work - just standing around spamming rotations won't do which is probably another reason for the complaints.

People treat this like a standard tab-targeting game where you just find the "I win" button, lock on and spam away, but it's not.

Thank u for this post.  This describes my experience exactly.  Im always clicking RMB to turn my char and i continue to do so during combat.  That might be one of my issues.

Ill give it another try after rebinding it to my keyboard.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Biskop

unless you are scholar then you can just spin to win...just kidding.

Spamming one button is the first thing I did and later learned is the worst thing you can do. Feint charge attack, another attack, charge....this all goes off smooth and without delay but hitting the same attack button over and over doesnt work period, there is a delay for doing that

my rotation in TSW was 4211111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 until they died, I do not have a rotation in Wushu because it depends on who I am fighting but it would be more common for me to go 0,5, 3, 2,1 4, 2,1, 6.

This would be my area of affect self boost, scholar spin, feint to counter the block (assuming they went to block the spin), kick move that tosses them, run up and do the slow three kick move, jump and charge, kick move that tosses them, slow kick, my OTHER charge and that is of course if they don't respond properly. throwing in rage moves and spins as needed/able. Redoing the ground buff if I am not getting pounded on...ect. Really depends on who I am fighting as well, I never block against valley always end up blocking against wudang.

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

It starts slow and doesnt impress until you get more abilities, cinguns and know what to do. Then it becomes one of the best and deepest combat systems in MMORPG genre.

And ya, rebind blocking. I did it right away

I would agree it's deep and I like the game a lot.

But it is very clunky and could be done a lot better.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Can you invert the mouse yet??

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111
    It's bad.... and it's especially bad because the game is touted as a PvP mmo. If this game had Tera's combat system it would be incredible. Tab-target combat in a martial arts game just feels lame.
  • AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

most styles have 1 targeting skill which fly/run to enemy, as for rest 30,180,360 degree

only throwing darts, using chain have more skills that require targeting, comparing this game to tera is stupid, can You run on walls, can You dash in air, can tripple jump or backflip? Guess I missed some updates in tera.