Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Last hours of PathFinder Online kickstarter

ObzzarverObzzarver Member UncommonPosts: 50

Hello again everyone :)

Being a Sandbox MMO fan I'm quite excited for Pathfinder Online.

They are a little short  of their goal, probably a little to short to reach without some boost in media these last two days of their kickstarter even, so I did this info video on it.

If you feel like backing it,, now is the time to do so and also to spread the word (which is what the video is for)

It is ofcourse up to anyone whether they find the game interesting, worth investing in or not.

- Zzar

--
edit:
Pathfinder Online's kickstarter page:

Honest none-summarized friendly gameplay videos with commentary: MMO previews / Gametesting / Let's Play:

www.youtube.com/user/Obzzarver

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

you should link to their KS page, not some youtube vid

or both

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927

Game design seems to be everything I am looking for...

Experienced developers from both MMO and Tabletop RPGs...

They got my pledge.. and I haven't even pre-ordered a game in years!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    what makes this game a sandbox?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ObzzarverObzzarver Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

you should link to their KS page, not some youtube vid

or both

You are quite right, I forgot to do that, done now.

The purpose of the video is to make it more acessible, both for people with attentionspan issues with rather large kickstarter pages such as pathfinders :) And to provide everyone an easy way to share the info with others to spread the message.

Kickstarter page was always linked in video description.

Honest none-summarized friendly gameplay videos with commentary: MMO previews / Gametesting / Let's Play:

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Oh please....

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927

Quite a bit... read up on it if you have an interest!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ObzzarverObzzarver Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Quite a bit... read up on it if you have an interest!

Or let me read them up to you by watching the video :)

• BlueMountainBlueMountain Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Sandbox is where the player can do a whole constellation of things and they'll persist. It isn't a ride-on-rails, a themepark. It is up to the players to play the game instead of having the game play itself for you. The developer focuses on giving the players the tools they need to make the game what they want it to be instead of creating a tunnel of story they have to tour.

To dream, perhaps to be.

• DakcenturiDakcenturi Member Posts: 29
    Nice vid.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Key Sandbox Features:

• Player-Player Contracts - replace quests - It's the final evolution of the quest system!!
    • Player formed factions - all/any eg as per EVE
    • Skill-Training Progression -> 2.5yrs to max level earliest in x1 role only; horizontal progress
    • Player created settlements -> Each Hex (256) can be conquered and controlled
    • Player formed Armies -> Real formations
    • Virtual Economy -> full-blown autonomous economy (not simulated)
    • Player Crafting item production and PvE Resource Cycle (maj. item creation by players)
    • Career Skills as well as Combat Skills (bounty-hunter, bandit, diplomat, tavern owner, soldier, trader...)
    • Alignment, Reputation, Politics & Open-World PvP (EVE style again)
    • NPC Alliances (changes which mobs are friend/foe)
    • Single-server World map - all emergent game story is shared by all players

Core design concept is to create systems which enhance meaningful player interaction where players are the central content of the game. As above lots of take-homes from EVE.

=

Some of the specific MMORPG attractions of the kickstarter in short order:

• Early Enrollment: (& accelerated development est: mid-2014) at $100 tier with x4 months thrown in.
    • Destiny's Twin = train a second character for for no extra training-cost when you train your first character on one account.
    • Guild Land Rush!! Support your guild in a vote to be provided with a hex ready to settle: This is to seed the mmo with guids already formed to create all the infrastructure for the game economy.
    • Race Vote: Choose which race is added first to the game
    • Pit-Fighter Combat Tool: In late 2013 (assuming funding ks success) a combat tool will be released for players to play-test the combat: See more: Announcing Pathfinder Online: Pit Fight! Various character options as bonus add-ons to pledges.
    • Shieldmate: During the kickstarter the Adventurer and Crowdforger levels can "invite a friend": Any time two or more characters with the Shieldmate Mark are in a party, everyone with the Shieldmate Mark will gain a synergy bonus.

=

Brilliant vid showcasing the Environment Experience.
  • BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770
    24hrs left to pledge!

For all you sandbox fans this will be a good one.

With your pledge you get tons of swag!!!

Support the RPG community and make a stand against the money hungry sharks in suits!

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• MrJones77MrJones77 Member Posts: 17
    I have made my pledge of $100. Sadly if the funding goes through my wife will have my nuts. Oh well, completely worth it.
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    well as of now it looks like they are around 150K short does that mean the whole project is over if they don't the cash, sorry i have been following what happens to kickstarter projects that fail to meet their funding goals.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by MrJones77
    I have made my pledge of $100. Sadly if the funding goes through my wife will have my nuts. Oh well, completely worth it.

if this were 4chan, right now I'd post something along the lines of

"We need to dial back women's rights if we want to reach equality"

but honestly I'm more interested in what the guy below me asked...will a project who received 850k pledges fail to collect because it missed its mark ? or will it get partial collection ? someone who's familiar with kickstarter's policies please inform us who are too lazy to check for ourselves.

If they don't make the full amount, they don't get anything sadly..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

What a waste of time and money.

They say the game will be out in 2016!!! 

We just started 2013, by the time they are done with this game there will be a new generation of online games already and this one already looks ancient compared to todays games in terms of everything not just graphics.

I love sandbox, but waiting 3 years to play a game after paying, only a sucker would do that and sandbox companies like darkfall, mortal online, etc keep getting them to pay.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I see alot about early enrollment.  Is there a pledge level that gets you alpha access??
    1. Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    I see alot about early enrollment.  Is there a pledge level that gets you alpha access??

Affirmative, but it is pretty steep unless you are pretty comfortable. Alpha is $1000. Anything over that also includes alpha.

To dream, perhaps to be.

Originally posted by Robokapp

looks like the game makers will have to do the sensible thing here...pledge the remaining 150k internally. either have the company reimburse it or play 'credit card roulette'...whatever.

if they risk losing 850k for 150k and dont cover that 150k themselves then it was probably a money scam anyway...

they can always pull the 150k back once they get the total sum. should be around 400k right?

They can't it would be counter to the KS ToS. However they may have some angels in the wings. The top tier ($10,000) description (not the art lover one, the one below that) says they have 'several' who want to contribute $10,000 or more but what they want is apparently being negotiated.

To dream, perhaps to be.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by BlueMountain
    1. Originally posted by hockeyplayr

Affirmative, but it is pretty steep unless you are pretty comfortable. Alpha is $1000. Anything over that also includes alpha.

no wonder I missed it.  I didn't even scroll down that far.  no alpha is worth $1000

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    what is hurting this kickstarter (done a few already) is 3 things, date, questionable promotional ethics and another kickstarter. Most everyone I mention this too say those three things. The date being 2016 a long time for an investment, ethics being about how they are promoting (not getting into details, just my group of friends all come up with the same reasonings) and finally multiple kickstarter. While the inital was funds to raise to make a prototype, many worry this isn't their only and last kickstarter leading most (as myself ) to beleive pyramid type of deal. I love the idea here, I just have too agree with the points listed, I just personally don't see a stable invesment here. I wish them all the best and I post this in maybe helping them address these issues in the future. GL thou!

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by chaintm
    what is hurting this kickstarter (done a few already) is 3 things, date, questionable promotional ethics and another kickstarter. Most everyone I mention this too say those three things. The date being 2016 a long time for an investment, ethics being about how they are promoting (not getting into details, just my group of friends all come up with the same reasonings) and finally multiple kickstarter. While the inital was funds to raise to make a prototype, many worry this isn't their only and last kickstarter leading most (as myself ) to beleive pyramid type of deal. I love the idea here, I just have too agree with the points listed, I just personally don't see a stable invesment here. I wish them all the best and I post this in maybe helping them address these issues in the future. GL thou!

I kinda have the same exact feeling..

Generally kickstarters HAVE a prototype to show off what they're asking the money for, but these guys asked YOU to finance their prototype that they can show YOU to get more money .. and maybe to show to some investors.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by Fusion

I kinda have the same exact feeling..

Generally kickstarters HAVE a prototype to show off what they're asking the money for, but these guys asked YOU to finance their prototype that they can show YOU to get more money .. and maybe to show to some investors.

That's part of it, along with while they have a very heavy experainced table top designing team and story writers, one also wonders where their experiance software team is. There is sadly just too much "fluff" in this kickstarter then actual information such as development scheduals, team of developers, time table. To me it seems like a bunch of ventern table top makers liking the idea of bringing this to an MMO setting. However, I just don't see the experianced development team that would be needed to take on a such a very large and detailed project. Being a developer with over 20 years of experiance, I have a good idea what is needed, I just don't see that team here to do this correctly. At least, the representation here is to make a AAA title and assuming this is the case, the time alone to say to do a descent interface would be months to years for just one person.

The depth the talk about this game having also means it has allot of automation and AI control, that sort of programing takes a long time to do. The more automation you add to a project, the longer it will take period.

Well I gota run, work in the morning, I do wish them all the best but there are just to many questions then answers for invesment. Maybe their next kickstarter will be more on the project then the fluff.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I pledged the lowest tier to get the game itself. Not really a fan of multiple kickstarters for the same project and the release date of 2016 is quite far ahead, but as I see there are zero MMO games of real interest (to me) coming out this year, I thought what the heck.

EVE will have to keep me occupied until ArcheAge comes west, sometime in the 2014 I would suppose.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

The depth the talk about this game having also means it has allot of automation and AI control, that sort of programing takes a long time to do. The more automation you add to a project, the longer it will take period.

Actually a heavily sandboxed game will take LESS time to develop than a heavily themeparked one. This is because for a themepark game, every piece of content will need to be crafted bit by bit, over and over again. In a sandbox game you design a tool that the players can use to create their own content.

Of course this game will also require a lot of ready-built PvE content to get it rolling, but if the sandbox tools are good and there are enough of them, there is no need to make tons of themepark content to compete with games like WoW, Rift and GW2. I would wager that building the world in GW2, with all the dynamic events, the personal story quests, etc. took easily the bulk of their development budget both time and money wise.

By 2016 they should have a nice amount of content created and robust tools to keep the players busy. A sandbox game will not get "consumed" as fast as a themepark game. After launch they can keep developing more content and more tools.

Look at EVE. That game was launched with a very minimum of content, but right from the start it had powerful tools for enabling a player driven economy and the conflict around it. Hell, they didn't even have player Sovereignty at launch.

This game looks like it will follow many of EVE's design principles, but softening the FFA PvP side a bit. Frankly, I think that's the best way to approach a sandbox game.

And yes, I'm pretty sure they will reach their goal.

• kastrixkastrix Member Posts: 75
    It was really stupid for them to ask for such a high amount, why dont all companies set it to low? I really dont think the amount of pleges would be that different if they had set the goal to 500k instead of a million.