Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Constant Freezing on a $1000 Computer?

2»

Comments

• LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640
    --delete--... (didn't see the previous posts which already mentions the same thing)
  • EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251
    Just to update you guys, I'm posting this on my new PC. We unplugged the SSD and installed Windows 8 on the regular hard drive. No freezing, everythings running great. Now what do I do with the SSD?
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by EvilMix
    Hey guys, got my new PC built, we installed Windows 8, all the motherboard drivers, and it's still constantly freezing every 5 or so second, it says programs aren't responding, all the fans are working, lights are on, what do I do?

Kind of hard to diagnose with such limited information.

Custom built or store bought?

Specs?

Type of components?

OC'ed?

ATI/Nvidia?

How long has this happened? Ran fine before windows 8? Or never?

Over heating? Got enough fans or coolant sysytem?

Could be a vidcard issue, bad memory, memory in wrong slots, wrong wattage, wired not hooked up correctly.

Originally posted by Onomas
    Hey guys, got my new PC built, we installed Windows 8, all the motherboard drivers, and it's still constantly freezing every 5 or so second, it says programs aren't responding, all the fans are working, lights are on, what do I do?

Kind of hard to diagnose with such limited information.

Custom built or store bought?

Specs?

Type of components?

OC'ed?

ATI/Nvidia?

How long has this happened? Ran fine before windows 8? Or never?

Over heating? Got enough fans or coolant sysytem?

Could be a vidcard issue, bad memory, memory in wrong slots, wrong wattage, wired not hooked up correctly.

Hey man, thanks for the post. Turns out it was my SSD. I'm just not sure what to do with it now..

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Update firmware on SSD, or update motherboard BIOS.  Since you're on a PC, look up your model of motherboard and SSD, see which to do :)
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Update firmware on SSD, or update motherboard BIOS.  Since you're on a PC, look up your model of motherboard and SSD, see which to do :)

Should I install the SSD firmware on my 1tb hard drive?

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Should I install the SSD firmware on my 1tb hard drive?

there's no need. Firmware should be install on your SSD.

Really take some time to read how to install SSD firmware.  Read multiple links that you googled, especially for your SSD's manufacturer such as OCZ.  Installing crap all willy-nilly can end up not doing much at all or just having things not work.  Like a 1000 dollar PC for example :p

Seriously, there's guides all over for how to do this.  Google them, read through carefully.

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

return it and get replacement lol. why u ask?

if it out of return date then yeah, the only solution is to try update firmware or get support from the manufacturer

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5483306#5483306

Ah, you got a refurbished SSD.  I didn't catch that before.  I wonder if you just found the reason why the previous person returned it.  The previous person might have taken a perfectly good SSD and done something to mess it up, even.

Here's the forum thread if you want to try flashing to the latest firmware:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=110257

Alternatively, you could contact NCIX about returning it as defective.

Everything is good now, but when I start up Windows it shows me two Volumes of which to run Windows off of, one of them doesn't work, the other does. I'm just happy everything is running now, should I do anything else with the SSD? Or is it good now? (P.S. Windows is running off of my SSD now as my main hard drive)
  • WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Glad you got this issue resolved. Howeve, 'never' buy refurbished.
    Originally posted by Warley
    Glad you got this issue resolved. Howeve, 'never' buy refurbished.

Thanks man, now I know. :)

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Everything is good now, but when I start up Windows it shows me two Volumes of which to run Windows off of, one of them doesn't work, the other does. I'm just happy everything is running now, should I do anything else with the SSD? Or is it good now? (P.S. Windows is running off of my SSD now as my main hard drive)

I think you want to get the SSD fixed or replaced or whatever, and then install Windows on the SSD.