Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Constant Freezing on a $1000 Computer?

EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251
Hey guys, got my new PC built, we installed Windows 8, all the motherboard drivers, and it's still constantly freezing every 5 or so second, it says programs aren't responding, all the fans are working, lights are on, what do I do?

Comments

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    oh man I have no Idea, Im going to avoid windows 8 because of things like that
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

no matter what you spend on your pc, that shouldnt happen...Immight start by testing the ram, you can use any of the 5 free programs on this page to do so.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/memorytest.htm

if the memory passes....not sure how much we can help you remotely, you may have to take it in to the shop.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251
    All I want to do is to play games.. not sure what to do. :/
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    Sounds like you have a problem.

Ya but with what? Lol.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Windows 8 doesn't just freeze. LoL

Sounds like you've bottle necked your hardware somewhere. Make sure all the connections are tight, test your RAM, make sure you got enough power hitting all your components, check the clock switches.

a yo ho ho

Originally posted by EvilMix
    Sounds like you have a problem.

Ya but with what? Lol.

are you freezing doing nothing or when u try to load a specific program?

Like I'll start windows, go to type in my password and it'll freeze, I'll try to open any program, Google Chrome, freeze, updates, freeze.

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Hey guys, got my new PC built, we installed Windows 8, all the motherboard drivers, and it's still constantly freezing every 5 or so second, it says programs aren't responding, all the fans are working, lights are on, what do I do?

it's probably overheating. Download CoreTemp and see if it gets to like 80c or so. If that's the problem you need more or larger fans or your airflow is constricted.

fwiw, I've never seen ram cause freezing. I've seen it make the PC blue screen and reboot.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

Originally posted by Kedoremos

it's probably overheating. Download CoreTemp and see if it gets to like 80c or so. If that's the problem you need more or larger fans or your airflow is constricted.

fwiw, I've never seen ram cause freezing. I've seen it make the PC blue screen and reboot.

We checked the motherboard temperature, it's at around 30-35c. I even bought an extra CPU heatsink, everything is cool, not overheating.

can you try to boot up in Safe Mode and see.

Idk what to do guys, it's freezing after updates, can't type in the password, we've rebooted it.. what do I do?

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Been using Windows 8 since it came out, and have had some freezes.  However, they are far and few between.  If it is happening often, I would look for a different culprit.  If it is the occasional freeze, then it could very well be 8.

I self identify as a monkey.

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    Been using Windows 8 since it came out, and have had some freezes.  However, they are far and few between.  If it is happening often, I would look for a different culprit.  If it is the occasional freeze, then it could very well be 8.

It's constant freezes, to the point where we can't even log in to get past the log in screen.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Is there a cooling device on your CPU such as a fan + heatsink?  Is that fan rotating?

Try starting up with only one memory module, try each one at a time.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Is there a cooling device on your CPU such as a fan + heatsink?  Is that fan rotating?

Try starting up with only one memory module, try each one at a time.

Yes, all the fans are working, we'll try each RAM at a time now.

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

It's constant freezes, to the point where we can't even log in to get past the log in screen.

A common reason for Windows to freeze up or reboot automatically during startup process is because one or more important Windows files are damaged or missing. Repairing Windows replaces these important files without removing or changing anything else on your computer.

We've tried reinstalling Windows 8, still freezing.

You wouldnt be using a SSD would you?

Yes, I am. A 240gb SSD.

You wouldnt be using a SSD would you?

Yes, 240gb.

make sure you have the latest firmware for it. Theres been issues with SSD and windows8.

It's "refreshing my PC" right now, if it still freezes we'll do that, I'm pretty sure it updated all of that when we put in the motherboard disc, it updated like everything and it was still freezing.

We've unplugged the SSD completely, just trying everything with the 1tb harddrive now.
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

The only time I had freezing on my pc was when I moved over a few programs I made from my old laptop and they didnt seem to be properly closing.  Imagine my surprise when I used task manager and I had 109 instances of my port listener and interpreter.  *facepalm*

If you can replaceyour hard drive on your own, you could try using a different one o.o  Also ramtests like memtest86 would go a long way.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by Castillle

The only time I had freezing on my pc was when I moved over a few programs I made from my old laptop and they didnt seem to be properly closing.  Imagine my surprise when I used task manager and I had 109 instances of my port listener and interpreter.  *facepalm*

If you can replaceyour hard drive on your own, you could try using a different one o.o  Also memtest86

The SSD and Hard Drive are all brand new, every piece in the computer is brand new and never has been used. Not sure what's going on..

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

If you can replaceyour hard drive on your own, you could try using a different one o.o  Also memtest86

The SSD and Hard Drive are all brand new, every piece in the computer is brand new and never has been used. Not sure what's going on..

Yeah try it without the SSD.  If that is the problem it needs firmware most likely.

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

i've got the freezing experience long ago when i built my pentium 4 rig.

my problem was: PC boost normaly but freezing or blue screen around 5-10 min , sometime it last for 30min to 1h and then the freezing repeat.

if you have same problem as me , then this is my advice: It's the Hardware. one of your hardware parts might be defective or not probperly insert/pluged or doesnt match the mother board. mother board and CPU usualy not defective, problem might be from the Ram or Video card.

if you just bought the parts, return it and get another one and try. i'm sure sofware is not the problem since it's a fresh install, but you can alway try to reinstall the window too .

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Yeah try it without the SSD.  If that is the problem it needs firmware most likely.

We unplugged the SSD, it was still reading we had Windows 8 on it even with the SSD unplugged.

Originally posted by squalleonaha

i've got the freezing experience long ago when i built my pentium 4 rig.

my problem was: PC boost normaly but freezing or blue screen around 5-10 min , sometime it last for 30min to 1h and then the freezing repeat.

if you have same problem as me , then this is my advice: It's the Hardware. one of your hardware parts might be defective or not probperly insert/pluged or doesnt match the mother board. mother board and CPU usualy not defective, problem might be from the Ram or Video card.

if you just bought the parts, return it and get another one and try. i'm sure sofware is not the problem since it's a fresh install, but you can alway try to reinstall the window too .

Mine just freezes whenever we try and do anything, type a password in to log in to the computer, open a browers, updates, anything.

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339
    I think a good start for troubleshooting is to list your PC parts here. Even better if yu use Newegg links so we cna see the model and such.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

that time i got froze by just moving mouse.

my advice in this matter is that you should shutdown your PC and rechecking all the plugs/connection , make sure they are properly inserted and then retry. also try to reinstall windows 8, if its a new PC , i'm sure it take just 30 min for a fresh reinstall windows

but freezing problem for a new built PC are usualy from hardware parts