Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wish this game could transform

124»

Comments

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    I read the title and immediately I thought about alchemy and then I realised that you cannot turn sh!t into gold.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

actually SWG was in such a dire need of a rewrite it got two... First the CU to fix some of the most glaring problems with their class system... And when that did not do enough you had the NGE (it may have sucked the soul out of the game but balance wise it was miles better).

Ofc i personally did not like the NGE as it pretty much killed my playstyle (ID/Tailor and a entertainer alt) but seeing all the stupid crap people did in the name of combat score i can understand why they did it.

This have been a good conversation

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

ignore_me casts Limited Wish

SWTOR becomes SWG post-NGE

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by n00bit

ignore_me casts Limited Wish

SWTOR becomes SWG post-NGE

This made me laugh :)

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Originally posted by tawess

actually SWG was in such a dire need of a rewrite it got two... First the CU to fix some of the most glaring problems with their class system... And when that did not do enough you had the NGE (it may have sucked the soul out of the game but balance wise it was miles better).

Ofc i personally did not like the NGE as it pretty much killed my playstyle (ID/Tailor and a entertainer alt) but seeing all the stupid crap people did in the name of combat score i can understand why they did it.

No I agree, the final iteration of NGE had some great content and features. The pre-CU combat was terribly boring and almost turn-based in its implementation.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by ignore_me

EVE and STO aside, anyone think they will fix this game? What would that look like?

If by "fix" you mean "change it into SWG" then I highly doubt it. No company is stupid enough to repeat the mistake SOE made in 2005. 

i think one of FF games are doing a full revamp now

what they did to SWG was prolly right,,just too late,,SWG was  ageing, and wow was on the peak of its power

how could a revamped game compete under those circumstances?

they should have done the same with swtor after the first month

revamp or bust

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by sapphen

I don't currently play but I liked the game alright.  I hope to see them grow into something greater but I think many people need to stop trying to make it like a traditional MMO.  It needs role-play elements, better crafting system, mini-games, more landing points on planets, free space flight/combat... it doesn't need more raids and gear - well it's cool to add them but it shouldn't be the focus.

Now that they've tried to please the MMO crowd and failed, they should look to their current playerbase.  I miss it in a lot of ways but they have a lot of work to do to get me to come back.

I recant everything I said here and in other places.  After trying to deal with their customer service today I would have to say that I hope this game dies a horrible and slow death.  That is all.

that bad huh?  i feel for you man

im afraid, thats the norm now,,big company=bad CS

the smaller ones react so much faster

but with the current speed of decline,,i would say lights out in 2014

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by superniceguy

SWTOR will only be around for years if they can afford the licence renewal, or that EA bought a long term licence, but if the game cost millions to make then they probably skimped on the licence and bought a short term one, with the thought of buying a longer one with the profits, but as they do not seem to be able to break even now, they may not be able to renew the licence. SOE renewed the licence several times, but that is because it did not need $7.5 million per month to break even.

Dude, you really post some delusional things about SWTOR. I mean,  SWTOR has flaws, but some of your posts skip way over those flaws and grab stuff from way out in left field.  Anyway,  let's just assume that EA has been in business enough to know what money is.  You don't expand a product that isn't turning a profit, period.  Really, for any logical person, the coming expansion would cease all thoughts of the game not turning a profit.  I partly understand your heartbreak over SWG closing, but at some point, you need to stop randomly lashing out, and just move on...

Also, the content has really been flying out the door lately to a tune of 6-8 week content patches.  What other MMO is doing that?  I have never seen an MMO fail on the same year it launched an expansion.  In fact, rolling out an expansion makes MMOs flourish.  So, once we get past Makeb, you can revisit the dead horse of "not making a profit."  Until then, it just doesn't make any sense.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

SWTOR will only be around for years if they can afford the licence renewal, or that EA bought a long term licence, but if the game cost millions to make then they probably skimped on the licence and bought a short term one, with the thought of buying a longer one with the profits, but as they do not seem to be able to break even now, they may not be able to renew the licence. SOE renewed the licence several times, but that is because it did not need $7.5 million per month to break even.

Dude, you really post some delusional things about SWTOR. I mean,  SWTOR has flaws, but some of your posts skip way over those flaws and grab stuff from way out in left field.  Anyway,  let's just assume that EA has been in business enough to know what money is.  You don't expand a product that isn't turning a profit, period.  Really, for any logical person, the coming expansion would cease all thoughts of the game not turning a profit.  I partly understand your heartbreak over SWG closing, but at some point, you need to stop randomly lashing out, and just move on...

Also, the content has really been flying out the door lately to a tune of 6-8 week content patches.  What other MMO is doing that?  I have never seen an MMO fail on the same year it launched an expansion.  In fact, rolling out an expansion makes MMOs flourish.  So, once we get past Makeb, you can revisit the dead horse of "not making a profit."  Until then, it just doesn't make any sense.

I really do not understand this post at all. What I said there is in no way lashing out at SWTOR,  and is quite logical.

The game did cost loads to make, and EA themselves said they need $7.5 million to break even as at Aug 1st here, and that its performance is not good enough. Last known report of subs was bellow 1 million and above 500K, and nothing else mentioned since, indicating that it is still "not good enough".

"The President of EA Labels Frank Gibeau said the Star Wars game would still break even so long as it maintained 500,000 subscribers, but admitted that its current performance was "not good enough"."

The SW licence is not cheap, and if they are struggling to break even with the game, as expected to have a constant stream of a million subs for years, how will they pay for the licence? What I posted has been from what EA keep saying, and not delusional ramblings at all.

From where I see I am not seeing them doing enough in game, they have already stated in June 2012 that the content that has been put in, and what is coming  (inlcuidng Makeb) has all been planned before the decline. So whether the game fails or succeeds the content was already planned and coming. All other MMOs work a lot faster than that, and have already put in content that was said months ago, and with new stuff coming too, and not having to wait years for it get in. None of the contnet they add to the game is enough to keep me subbing, it is enough to have brief playtimes but not enough to stay at the MMO. If you are happy with the amount of content that is being supplied, then fhat is great, but I am not going to call you delusional because it is YOUR OPINION, but if there was enough content coming in thick and fast, I do not think 1.5 million people wouild have stopped playing the game.

None of what I said is absiolute, I did not say that it WILL not last years because IT IS not making enough money, I do not know that because there is not enough information. I say that it will not last years IF they can not afford the licence, and IF they have bought a short term one.

IF they have bought a long term one and IF they are raking it in now, then the game will last years and you have NOTHING to worry about, and that is what is also implied in that post of mine you quoted

The only one lashing out here against anything, is you against me.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

I really do not understand this post at all. What I said there is in no way lashing out at SWTOR,  and is quite logical.

The game did cost loads to make, and EA themselves said they need $7.5 million to break even as at Aug 1st here, and that its performance is not good enough. Last known report of subs was bellow 1 million and above 500K, and nothing else mentioned since, indicating that it is still "not good enough".

"The President of EA Labels Frank Gibeau said the Star Wars game would still break even so long as it maintained 500,000 subscribers, but admitted that its current performance was "not good enough"."

The SW licence is not cheap, and if they are struggling to break even with the game, as expected to have a constant stream of a million subs for years, how will they pay for the licence? What I posted has been from what EA keep saying, and not delusional ramblings at all.

From where I see I am not seeing them doing enough in game, they have already stated in June 2012 that the content that has been put in, and what is coming  (inlcuidng Makeb) has all been planned before the decline. So whether the game fails or succeeds the content was already planned and coming. All other MMOs work a lot faster than that, and have already put in content that was said months ago, and with new stuff coming too, and not having to wait years for it get in. None of the contnet they add to the game is enough to keep me subbing, it is enough to have brief playtimes but not enough to stay at the MMO. If you are happy with the amount of content that is being supplied, then fhat is great, but I am not going to call you delusional because it is YOUR OPINION, but if there was enough content coming in thick and fast, I do not think 1.5 million people wouild have stopped playing the game.

None of what I said is absiolute, I did not say that it WILL not last years because IT IS not making enough money, I do not know that because there is not enough information. I say that it will not last years IF they can not afford the licence, and IF they have bought a short term one.

IF they have bought a long term one and IF they are raking it in now, then the game will last years and you have NOTHING to worry about, and that is what is also implied in that post of mine you quoted

The article you posted is from August, before they launched F2P and before they announced the expansion, and it says nothing of profits and $7.5 million.  Did you link the right article?  "Not good enough"  =/=/ not turning a profit.  They want SWTOR to kill Warcraft, so "not good enough" will always be their assessment.  Again, they said so themselves that they had more than their needed 500K subs.  Furthermore, the license fee was included in the initial start up of the game.  It's a done deal.  So again, current evidence points to the game having covered costs quite a while ago.

You say you are not lashing out at SWTOR, but its obvious from reading your avatar and tagline, and the strange stretches you go to to make claims without good evidence that the game is failing.. you are grasping at straws, big time.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

The article you posted is from August, before they launched F2P and before they announced the expansion, and it says nothing of profits and $7.5 million.  Did you link the right article?  "Not good enough"  =/=/ not turning a profit.  They want SWTOR to kill Warcraft, so "not good enough" will always be their assessment.  Again, they said so themselves that they had more than their needed 500K subs.  Furthermore, the license fee was included in the initial start up of the game.  It's a done deal.  So again, current evidence points to the game having covered costs quite a while ago.

You say you are not lashing out at SWTOR, but its obvious from reading your avatar and tagline, and the strange stretches you go to to make claims without good evidence that the game is failing.. you are grasping at straws, big time.

I would think that if the game was doing successfully with F2P, they would have more content than what was announced in June. Makeb was originally going to be the biggest FREE content patch ever seen in a MMO as stated by james Ohlen, now it it is being announced as an expansion, which was in someones sig on the official forums by a paying playing subscribers, I can not find the article to back that statement up, but regardless Makeb was mentioned in JUNE 2012,  as I linked to in the 2nd article, BEFORE F2P, so Makeb is not new, only that it being classed as an expansion.

In Aug they were deliberating whether to make Makeb free or not, so obviosuly now in Dec they decided not to make it free, and I would think that if F2P was doing successfully then it would have been free for subscribers.

Avatar and tagline means nothing, I still play LOTRO, EQ2, Rift, Vanguard, DCUO, WOW, and I think LOTRO > WOW or Rift, City of Heroes > DCUO etc, and I did state at the bottom of SWTOR "Hopefully the above will change" but ran out of room, and as time goees on less and less hope of it getting better than  those mentioned MMOs in the tagline. 

Most of what I say is backed up with evidence.

Basically it seems you take any slight hint of negativity about SWTOR way too seriosuly.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Just face it, he's butt hurt that SWG shutdown and that SWTOR wasn't SWG2.  He'll waste his time continually posting hate towards SWTOR, but it is his time.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

so i finally convinced my buddy to return to swtor, he quit after the first month. 

Since all his characters were stuck on Jung Ma I had him reroll on my server so I could twink him out.

I rerolled with him and we were doin alright.  He fell through the world a couple times on Ord Mantel and got stuck on random rocks.  I just laughed at him.  Then we get to Esseles and I fell through the ramp using force leap and got stuck at the bottom of the ship.

After we finally cleared it all we went to talk to the dude on the bridge to finish the dungeon.  He crashed during the conversation.  So I waited and he reloaded the game, started the conversation again, and BOOM crashed again.  I laughed at him on steam since I had seen other people with this bug crash at the same point.

Confused he asked me wtf is going on.  I told him you have a rare bug that causes your game to explode instantly if you talk to the guy at the end of the Esseles.  He asked how long the bug had been in game and I told him for about 4'ish months.

He got pissed off he couldn't even finish the dungeon and quit the game again.  Which makes me sad since I am alone again....

I sure wish Bioware would at least make the beginning gameplay stable for returning players and new players too.  Not going to really win people over with stuff like this.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

Originally posted by bingbongbros

so i finally convinced my buddy to return to swtor, he quit after the first month. 

Since all his characters were stuck on Jung Ma I had him reroll on my server so I could twink him out.

I rerolled with him and we were doin alright.  He fell through the world a couple times on Ord Mantel and got stuck on random rocks.  I just laughed at him.  Then we get to Esseles and I fell through the ramp using force leap and got stuck at the bottom of the ship.

After we finally cleared it all we went to talk to the dude on the bridge to finish the dungeon.  He crashed during the conversation.  So I waited and he reloaded the game, started the conversation again, and BOOM crashed again.  I laughed at him on steam since I had seen other people with this bug crash at the same point.

Confused he asked me wtf is going on.  I told him you have a rare bug that causes your game to explode instantly if you talk to the guy at the end of the Esseles.  He asked how long the bug had been in game and I told him for about 4'ish months.

He got pissed off he couldn't even finish the dungeon and quit the game again.  Which makes me sad since I am alone again....

I sure wish Bioware would at least make the beginning gameplay stable for returning players and new players too.  Not going to really win people over with stuff like this.

So bug fixes would be one way to transform this game. I had friends leave because of this too back when I was subbed.

Originally posted by Latronus

Just face it, he's butt hurt that SWG shutdown and that SWTOR wasn't SWG2.  He'll waste his time continually posting hate towards SWTOR, but it is his time.

So I take it you guys feel the game is perfect, and have no ideas on what they could do to bring in a bigger audience?

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

There are some great things in swtor. In a whole though, the game is a flop. There are people that enjoy it and more power to them.

I went back for f2p and even subbed for a month but there are just certain things that bother me to the point i can't bring myself to thoroughly enjoy it.

I do enjoy pvp in swtor but there's not enough incentive to do it actively.

in no order of importance.

While leveling, 1-25'ish everything is cool and new. Around that 25 level i start to get annoyed at the worlds, the static cut n paste mobs and the lack of immerision in the worlds. Everything is drawn out, the worlds are large but only to occupy time.

Ship(s). Really should have made a decorating profession and made the ships customizable and a bunch of them to be purchased. They could have capitalized on the cartel shop with that.

Zoning, way to much of it.

Performance, this game runs like crap on 2k dollar machines, and fine on some 500 dollar machines so people say. It's glitchy, stuttery, a huge resource and the game cannot run in ilum when it was max cap. Terrible engine, terrible optimization. That's a fact not even an opinion, the game runs terrible.

space combat, well let me grab my stick. FFS it's STAR WARS....space should had been a huge focal point. Although the devs said time and again it was a ground game. If that was the case they should not have even implemented the space game in it's current state.

Alts and story. The only driving factor in this game is alts. Once you hit 50 you have absolutely nothing to do. There is no presonal story progression its the same shit diff game. Run dungeons, wow that'll be fun for 1 year. There is nothing to do end game for those that don't enjoy raids/dungeons.

the cartel market and f2p were almost insulting to paying subscribers. people that have money to throw away at a sub+ coins are loving it but the things they put in there and the items. It become a joke after the last patch. Here is a new floating chair ....same one as before it's just blue in color.

I think in all sincerity and honesty, we star wars fans that do not enjoy the game, wanted more. Bioware is a terrible company in terms of community relations and listening to their fan base. They have not made any significant changes to this game to attract more people other than more dungeons and cash shop junk. 

Something as simple as ship customization/capital ships would have kept a large chunk of people. Realizing that ilum was a disaster and fixing it would have kept an even larger chunk of people. Instead they just turned it off and forgot about it. 

Swtor did the exact opposite of what an mmo should do. They should have made leveling easier and made the 50 level when the story really began. Instead they focused all their resources on the journey to 50 and unfortunately in an MMO the game should begin at level cap. You see this in almost every mmo, guild wars 2 etc..

i don't want to insult any of you fans, alot of my discontent about this game is that i want to like swtor. I want to play star wars, but this game was such a letdown for me and many others that it's hard not to be upset because we wanted it to be good so bad.

if the game really start at max level,,why have lvl1-49?  why not start at lvl 50 then?

no the levellng content is the most important part of the game

thats the one , that all players have to go through at least once

yes i know ,,levelling through other content is possible,,but why do that in a story driven mmo?

and the levelling content,,or rather lack of,,,is a prime reason for this games failure

doing the same thing over and over for a short cutscene is simply bad gameplay

so now they have to give the best parts of the game for free, hoping that at least some will take the bait

how many they caught?  their next actions will show

if they start actual bughunting,,,they made a good catch

another moneygrab,,,,not so good

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Demmi77Here is a new floating chair ....same one as before it's just blue in color.

No way....rfol.

You would think that at least for stuff PAID OVER the sub they would have actual new items not just recolored stuff.

But did they even release ANY new (not recolored old stuff) up until now, i didnt see any lol