Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Player Activity Up 400% Since Relaunch with B2P

Comments

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278
    SWTOR is probably facepalming right about now.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • skorner64skorner64 Member Posts: 47
    Really happy for them, TSW seemed like an interesting game. Hope it keeps doing better and better, so when I have soem free tiem I'll pick it up with tons of content. :D
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I played through beta, and maybe a free trial I got in the email. I think there are at least as many people in the first zone as there were in the free trial. I don't think there are as many people now that you can't get those Mayans to spawn, but I see people in every corner of the map when I'm running around. Even when I was running around dead I saw a couple people.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116
    very good game and a refreshing experience...bought it after GW 2 was not all that great after all and i am really enjoying myself so far.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Sora2810
    Originally posted by FromHell

woohooo congrats, yeah the game is pretty packed right now. Almost too packed for my taste sometimes but good for FC.

Wow; which server is that?!

I think it was either Huldra or Arcadia.. you know there are no separated "servers" by common definition, you can always meet up with people on other dimensions.

The Gridstream events (tsw.gridstream.org) are mostly packed like this.

Tune in to the radio stream, turn off ingame audio and enjoy live radio moderated events with hide and seek games and a lot of other community activities.

http://youtu.be/ziUQFNsJ5oY?t=1m29s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_fxX8AiQV0

Best. Community Events. Ever.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Its great to be back. :)

Joined - July 2004

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

400% means very little for a game that was on life support. Sure 70K sales is good, but SWTOR has sold millions now and was called a flop, and GW2 and WoW Panda sold millions of copies. 

Funny thing about FUncom is that they really messed up on Conan, which is a shame as Arnie is going to reprise the ham roll soon, but the mmo is very much dead for them.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Well atleast now TSW is a moderate success and not an utter flop like it was with P2P model. Good for them, sadly these profits are not enough for FC to save jobs and regardless of bumps in sale numbers lot of people are going to lose their livelihood.

I hate it when people lose their bread and butter. ;(

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    meh. up from 50k to 200k active, which will be short lived. 
    Originally posted by Illyssia

400% means very little for a game that was on life support. Sure 70K sales is good, but SWTOR has sold millions now and was called a flop, and GW2 and WoW Panda sold millions of copies. 

Funny thing about FUncom is that they really messed up on Conan, which is a shame as Arnie is going to reprise the ham roll soon, but the mmo is very much dead for them.

yea. GW2 and MoP have sold over 200k since the b2p switch by funcom. it's still not really competing.

and fc is still unraveling.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    The sales increase is great for them.  But it all comes down to how much money they spend in the store and how many stick around past a month.
    Originally posted by bcbully

So you add a few % and now it's YOOOUR story?

BCbully 12-19-12

"TSW's Xfire numbers are still way down from launch (ranked 16 at launch), but it looks like it's now growing. Since B2P TSW has increased Xfire hours played by 300%. Its ranking had a high of 43 this weekend with triple the amount of users using xfire. 

There still is a long way to go with the pvp content (PvE is rock solid), but this is good news for Funcom and TSW."

You'll be hearing from my attorney.

I would also like for this to be admitted exhibit b2981, as it adds to our case that Xfire is reliable in predicting trends within the overall mmorpg community.

ps. I'll settle out of court for a star. 

secret world installs xfire. 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by bcbully

So you add a few % and now it's YOOOUR story?

BCbully 12-19-12

"TSW's Xfire numbers are still way down from launch (ranked 16 at launch), but it looks like it's now growing. Since B2P TSW has increased Xfire hours played by 300%. Its ranking had a high of 43 this weekend with triple the amount of users using xfire. 

There still is a long way to go with the pvp content (PvE is rock solid), but this is good news for Funcom and TSW."

You'll be hearing from my attorney.

I would also like for this to be admitted exhibit b2981, as it adds to our case that Xfire is reliable in predicting trends within the overall mmorpg community.

ps. I'll settle out of court for a star. 

Only a 33% margin error.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Great news all around -- it's great to see all the new people in game.  
  • hot_alixhot_alix Member Posts: 4

B2P was a definit draw. I am a CoH refugee and TSW was highly...I mean HIGHLy recommended game to turn to by fellow CoH players.

Now if it would work on my laptop......

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    A lot of misinformation in this thread.    TSW uses the P2W business model, and has from the very start.  All they did was drop the subscription requirement to access the game.  If the game was designed any other way they would have put the game back into beta or opened up new beta servers to test their redesign. 
  • MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Is anywhere having a sale on the game? I really should have bit when Amazon did but I thought I would be paying a lot more for textbooks.
  • ksternalksternal Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Happy for the people who think B2P aka F2P is a great idea. For me I hope the future games coming out don't resort to this because the content they put out is nothing more then new asinine costumes and weak powers you can have which you should get for free anyways.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    This honestly doesnt mean anything. Every F2P MMO sees similar results at F2P transition. Give it a couple of months and it will die down again. What amazes me that even with the F2P conversion they are still having to fire a bunch of people and consolidate the company further. Sounds like Funcom is not gonna be making any more MMOs. Thats probably good for us since they all suck anyways.
  • SwobyJSwobyJ Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by ksternal
    Happy for the people who think B2P aka F2P is a great idea. For me I hope the future games coming out don't resort to this because the content they put out is nothing more then new asinine costumes and weak powers you can have which you should get for free anyways.

Games with sub:

-WoW

-Rift

-EVE

-FFXI/XIV

-Some older, much older, games

That's it now. Everything else has a form of F2P/B2P going on.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Celcius
    This honestly doesnt mean anything. Every F2P MMO sees similar results at F2P transition. Give it a couple of months and it will die down again. What amazes me that even with the F2P conversion they are still having to fire a bunch of people and consolidate the company further. Sounds like Funcom is not gonna be making any more MMOs. Thats probably good for us since they all suck anyways.

Actually it has great significance.  The game isn't free to play.  You have to buy the game.  So this signifies that a major portion of that new players in the time period were willing to pay Funcom a box fee (most around $12 - $30) for access to the game.  It's significant because it's direct revenue.  It showed there is a significant portion of players willing to support that business model.

If they can continue to put out quality issues I think people will pay for that, enough to make it worth their while.

They learned a lot from their horrible AoC transition to F2P by welcoming the new B2P customers.  The community is really good and that is the strongest asset of a niche game.

It seems like a recipe for success in that it can only grow its playerbase.

Thats just it, they can't continue putting out "quality issues" because the game is going to have a reduced staff due to people getting fired. The game was already significantly under performing, so a 30% increase in sales as a result of B2P is not as big of a deal as most other MMOs would be. Considering especially that most people who picked up the game after the B2P transition were picking it up on sale for less then 20$. If they got every cent of that, then that is 1.4M since the transion. That is the same as 93K subs roughly. Not a good number to be at. 

They wanted to sell through 1 million copies and have roughly 500k subs iirc and there is no way they are even remotely near that. Obviously that number has lowered since the layoffs, but that also further proves my point that layoffs resulted only because the game was not meeting sales expectations. You can safely assume by that logic, that it still did not hit sales expectations based on the B2P transition since more people are getting fired.

B2P only works if you have the systems in place to support it and Funcom just does not have that. The issues were already pretty small for the most part as it is, you can probably expect more SWTOR -esq patches in the future. (that you have to pay for)

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by lyinggod0
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

it's a cool game and all, but it has potential to be great if it wasn't such a themepark / dungeon grinder experience.

All mmorpgs are grinders. Your either grinding a quest, a dungeon, or the world (such as it is). Computerized RPGs (on and off line) are just that way. Until there is a true artificial intelligence "GMing" the experience, they will be more obviously over structured and ridgid grinds.

So now  the only question is......

How smooth and involved a grind is it? In otherwords how bad or good is the experience.

I like to grind at games too, I just dont kid myself about what they are (compared to the real thing - real RPGs, not cRPGS of any type)

YMMV

The Lyinggod

No, all games are not a grind.  What I'm referring to is the difference between linear upward themepark progression compared to more open world, emergent gameplay systems.  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    meh. up from 50k to 200k active, which will be short lived. 

I have to agree sadly because TSW did try some different things.

200K isn't all that much for a B2P product.  If it were still a sub, then it would be in a good place.  They will need more people to buy because TSW is now dependent upon their cash shop more than ever.

Originally posted by lyinggod0

it's a cool game and all, but it has potential to be great if it wasn't such a themepark / dungeon grinder experience.

All mmorpgs are grinders. Your either grinding a quest, a dungeon, or the world (such as it is). Computerized RPGs (on and off line) are just that way. Until there is a true artificial intelligence "GMing" the experience, they will be more obviously over structured and ridgid grinds.

So now  the only question is......

How smooth and involved a grind is it? In otherwords how bad or good is the experience.

I like to grind at games too, I just dont kid myself about what they are (compared to the real thing - real RPGs, not cRPGS of any type)

YMMV

The Lyinggod

No, all games are not a grind.  What I'm referring to is the difference between linear upward themepark progression compared to more open world, emergent gameplay systems.  

"Grind" is something that has been taken out of context over the years. A grind, to me, is doing something over and over that is not fun. If a game has a quest system like TSW, Tera, or even SWTOR it can feel like a grind to me after a while. Its the gameplay variations and deep combat systems that keep me interested in quests. 

There are alot of people out there though who love to throw out the word "grind" like all it means is "playing a game". The reality is, MMOs are a considerable investment of time, if you are enjoying that time it should not feel like a grind to you.  I guess what I am trying to say is that the word "grind" is subjective.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Melkrow
    SWTOR is probably facepalming right about now.

And even more now that TERA has announced there F2P/B2P model which like TSW blows its doors off.

Great news for TSW, I wish it well :)