Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Despite everything that has been sead, can't we agree that GW2 is a success?

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by dimnikar
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

It's still selling on par with an expansion to an 8 year old game (data for the week up to 5th Jan).

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110022

Which is... great, I guess?

It's missing on vgchartz weekly for the same period, while it was there the week before (below MoP, it's only competitor on these charts). Dunno why, must be some mistake.

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41280/Global/

As far as sales go, it's definitely a success. Is that what the question was?

Being on par with WoW is definitely a success lol. Not sure why the age of WoW would matter. That game is still huge compared to every other western MMO.

It matters because it is often claimed that WoW is dying and people are abandoning it.

And I figured out why GW2 is missing on vgchartz - it's a global chart whereas the GFK chart is UK.

GW2 isn't even on the top 100 all format (MoP is) this week or the week before (Christmas). That's pretty bad.

Successful or not, the one thing it DEFINITELY isn't is a WoW killer (looking at the numbers).

You mean the same vgchartz that states GW2 sold 1.6 Million boxes vs Mists of Pandaria 1.2 Million boxes ?

image             image

So either WoW MoP isn't successful and dying or GW2 isn't too shabby.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Successful or not, the one thing it DEFINITELY isn't is a WoW killer (looking at the numbers).

You mean the same vgchartz that states GW2 sold 1.6 Million boxes vs Mists of Pandaria 1.2 Million boxes ?

image             image

You do realize VGchartz only tracks BOXes sold, right?  Your screen has GW2 with a 1 month lead, and besides, it was widely reported that MoP sells much more digitally than the ratio expected in the industry right now.

Anyway, GW2 dropping of the radar is not a VGcharz exclusive. Check NPD if you have access, or GFK (that's publicly available).

Nice fail at trying to discredit me.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Neither failure or success. Disappointing, but decent.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Originally posted by bookworm438

Honestly, we won't know how successful it is until we see sales data on the first EXPANSION.

Mind you, Arenanet *never* released sales info on their expansions - only cumulative sales (gw1 + expansions together). In reality, we never knew if GW1 was successful either.

Something to think about.

Actually that's incorrect. As of now, GW1 is over 7 million accounts. They haven't really released actual account data each quarter like they use to back in 2008. Back in 2008 it was at about 6 million accounts. You can look at the NCSoft quarterly reports from back in 2008, as that is the last time they released this data. 

So it is a myth that the "7 million" is 7 million cumulative boxes. It's 7 million accounts. 

Financially, GW2 is a success. How do you define success? Did it turn a profit. And I'm guessing it did turn a profit, as last quarter was a very good quarter for NCSoft. 

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Guild Wars 1 had trial accouns so accounts created means nothing (really weird you'd bring that up).

The pure facts are they never released expansion sales data so we never really knew how many bought into the expansions. In fact, the tracked numbers (by SKU counter firms out there) were under 10k for each expansion. Which could be wrong, but it sure doesn't look good.

The point was, if GW2 expansions tank they'll likely keep it quiet - AS THEY DID WITH GW1 (if that's the reason, but honestly, can there be another valid reason?)

Honestly, I've never understood why they didn't release those numbers. GW1 cummulatively sold very well, it would be VERY strange if the expansions only accounted for a small part of that.

Guild Wars 1 sold over 7.5 million boxes - boxes being any of the following:

-Prophecies

-Factions

- Nightfall

- Eye of the North

- Prophecies+Eye of the North (Platinum Editions)

- Prophecies+Factions+Nightfall (triology)

- Prophecies+Factions+Nightfall+Eye of the North (Complete and Ultimate if not mistaken).

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Guild Wars 1 sold over 7.5 million boxes - boxes being any of the following:

-Prophecies

-Factions

- Nightfall

- Eye of the North

- Prophecies+Eye of the North (Platinum Editions)

- Prophecies+Factions+Nightfall (triology)

- Prophecies+Factions+Nightfall+Eye of the North (Complete and Ultimate if not mistaken).

Yes, that's what I said. Maybe I was unclear.

My point is, we don't know if it's 7,4 million of GW1 + 0,1 million everything else, or 3,7 million GW1 + 3,7 expansions, etc, etc.

Get it? With B2P, that's the only way to measure retention - and they kept that information secret!

VERY interested to see what they do with GW2 expac numbers.

image             image

You do realize VGchartz only tracks BOXes sold, right?  Your screen has GW2 with a 1 month lead, and besides, it was widely reported that MoP sells much more digitally than the ratio expected in the industry right now.

Anyway, GW2 dropping of the radar is not a VGcharz exclusive. Check NPD if you have access, or GFK (that's publicly available).

Nice fail at trying to discredit me.

Just using the same numbers you are using.

You also know GW2 sell much more digitally than boxes don't you?

And sure, GW2 is 1 month older so less people buying it is natural.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Honestly, we won't know how successful it is until we see sales data on the first EXPANSION.

Mind you, Arenanet *never* released sales info on their expansions - only cumulative sales (gw1 + expansions together). In reality, we never knew if GW1 was successful either.

Something to think about.

Actually that's incorrect. As of now, GW1 is over 7 million accounts. They haven't really released actual account data each quarter like they use to back in 2008. Back in 2008 it was at about 6 million accounts. You can look at the NCSoft quarterly reports from back in 2008, as that is the last time they released this data. 

So it is a myth that the "7 million" is 7 million cumulative boxes. It's 7 million accounts. 

Financially, GW2 is a success. How do you define success? Did it turn a profit. And I'm guessing it did turn a profit, as last quarter was a very good quarter for NCSoft. 

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Guild Wars 1 had trial accouns so accounts created means nothing (really weird you'd bring that up).

The pure facts are they never released expansion sales data so we never really knew how many bought into the expansions. In fact, the tracked numbers (by SKU counter firms out there) were under 10k for each expansion. Which could be wrong, but it sure doesn't look good.

The point was, if GW2 expansions tank they'll likely keep it quiet - AS THEY DID WITH GW1 (if that's the reason, but honestly, can there be another valid reason?)

Honestly, I've never understood why they didn't release those numbers. GW1 cummulatively sold very well, it would be VERY strange if the expansions only accounted for a small part of that.

Um what? 

1)  Read through the report. When a company reports that "x many units shipped", they are referring to unique units (i.e. accounts). It excludes numbers from expansions. To this day, Guild Wars 1 remains one of the top selling games of all time for the computer. 

2) Well I don't know where you are pulling your numbers. 10k for each expansion makes absolutely NO LOGICAL SENSE. So I would check the credibility of where you are pulling your numbers. I'm pulling mine directly from NCSoft quarterly reports (where it is illegal to lie). 

3) Again, none of that logically makes any sense. If GW1 was not a success (i.e., pulled a profit), they would have never continued to develop further expansions. Nor would they have had the funds, nor would they have the credit to borrow money from NCSoft to develop GW2.  

4) A trial for GW1 was not offered for years after GW1 was released, and I guarantee you they don't use those numbers in the sales report. 

Fact is, whether you choose to deny it or not, Guild Wars 1 was a MASSIVE success. Our current number is 7 million accounts (unique boxes) sold. Whether someone has more than one account is irrelevant. When we are talking about success here, we are talking about financial success. If someone has more than one account, then ArenaNet/NCSoft still profited from it. 

As I said up top, to this day, GW1 remains one of the biggest and most successful commercial computer games to date. 

And the fact is, GW2 still has many more sales to obtain. GW2 hasn't even entered the asian market yet, which is a massive market. The 2-3 million (estimate) units sold of GW2 is just in the US and Europe. And that will increase once GW2 is released in Asia.

And sure, GW2 is 1 month older so less people buying it.

GW2 did not sell at the same ratio digital/boxes as WoW did, evidented by the fact MOP sold way more in it's first week alone.

So that's 1 thing you got wrong straight off the bat.

To be honest, I don't know what you're trying to say. For the last 2 weeks (Christmas season included), GW2 wasn't even in the top 100, whereas MoP was pretty strong. The Christmas season was pretty important to both.

Um what? 

1)  Read through the report. When a company reports that "x many units shipped", they are referring to unique units (i.e. accounts). It excludes numbers from expansions. To this day, Guild Wars 1 remains one of the top selling games of all time for the computer. 

2) Well I don't know where you are pulling your numbers. 10k for each expansion makes absolutely NO LOGICAL SENSE. So I would check the credibility of where you are pulling your numbers. I'm pulling mine directly from NCSoft quarterly reports (where it is illegal to lie). 

3) Again, none of that logically makes any sense. If GW1 was not a success (i.e., pulled a profit), they would have never continued to develop further expansions. Nor would they have had the funds, nor would they have the credit to borrow money from NCSoft to develop GW2.  

4) A trial for GW1 was not offered for years after GW1 was released, and I guarantee you they don't use those numbers in the sales report. 

Fact is, whether you choose to deny it or not, Guild Wars 1 was a MASSIVE success. Our current number is 7 million accounts (unique boxes) sold. Whether someone has more than one account is irrelevant. When we are talking about success here, we are talking about success. If someone has more than one account, then ArenaNet/NCSoft still profited from it. 

As I said up top, to this day, GW2 remains one of the biggest and most successful commercial computer games to date. 

And the fact is, GW2 still has many more sales to obtain. GW2 hasn't even entered the asian market yet, which is a massive market. The 2-3 million (estimate) units sold of GW2 is just in the US and Europe. And that will increase once GW2 is released in Asia.

The report clearly states "accounts created". Even has a nifty timeline. I suggest *you* go and read it.

The numbers (for expansions) are from firms reporting numbers. The only source. Arenanet/NCsoft didn't provide one

THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT

Why is this lost on you?

GW1 obviously sold very well as a franchise, but we know NOTHING about it's expansions.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Sucess for who?

For Arena Net? Yeah, I am sure it made them a bunch of money.

For ThemePark fans? I suppose, except for those who like raiding and trinity.

For general gaming fans? Sure why not, no sub. fee and a game which they can play whenever they like.

For the MMORPG genre? No. Simply No. The game, innovative as it claimed to be, does nothing for the genre beside removing quest hubs and replacing them with something almost as meaningless. Everything else is what we have seen before in any ThemePark MMO. This is a game, not a virtual world, which imo MMORPGs should strive to be.

So in my book GW 2 is not a success. No more than SW:TOR was.

Regardless of the last 2 pages, I'm interested to see how GW2 expansions do.

IMO, that'll be the measure of it's sucess.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Um what? 

Fact is, whether you choose to deny it or not, Guild Wars 1 was a MASSIVE success. Our current number is 7 million accounts (unique boxes) sold. Whether someone has more than one account is irrelevant. When we are talking about success here, we are talking about success. If someone has more than one account, then ArenaNet/NCSoft still profited from it. 

As I said up top, to this day, GW2 remains one of the biggest and most successful commercial computer games to date. 

The report clearly states "accounts created". Even has a nifty timeline. I suggest *you* go and read it.

The numbers (for expansions) are from firms reporting numbers. The only source. Arenanet/NCsoft didn't provide one

THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT

Why is this lost on you?

GW1 obviously sold very well as a franchise, but we know NOTHING about it's expansions. How is that so freaking hard to understand that it's taking me 3 pages to explain?

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx?BID=&BC=2008, you will need to install the korean language pack. 

Read the damn report. 2008 is the last date they released this data. Stop using other websites for this data. Use data directly from NCSoft/ArenaNet. 

As of Dec 2008: "5,803,000 accounts activated". 

The numbers NCSoft/ArenaNet reports are activated accounts. When it comes to actual sales data all sales from each expansion/promotion/etc., are lumped into one category and that is GW. Most companies don't release a break down for each expansion. This is because whether you purchase expansions 1 or the original game, it doesn't matter. The company still makes money. They just lump this into one category called "Game Sales".

But when NCSoft/ArenaNet release their number, i.e., 7 million boxes, they are referring to activated accounts, not 7 million boxes combined.

Since 2007 (last time Anet released an expansion for GW1), obviously sales have declined. 

And sure, GW2 is 1 month older so less people buying it.

GW2 did not sell at the same ratio digital/boxes as WoW did, evidented by the fact MOP sold way more in it's first week alone.

So that's 1 thing you got wrong straight off the bat.

To be honest, I don't know what you're trying to say. For the last 2 weeks (Christmas season included), GW2 wasn't even in the top 100, whereas MoP was pretty strong. The Christmas season was pretty important to both.

GW2 sold something like 2 millions in the first 1 week and something.

Not much difference to WoW.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    My goodness planting season already  but seriously not even in the top 100 for X'mas ,come on that cannot be right. Can someone show some link and prove that wrong.Possibly all digital sales that arenanet has not released .

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235
    Originally posted by Yamota

Sucess for who?

For Arena Net? Yeah, I am sure it made them a bunch of money.

For ThemePark fans? I suppose, except for those who like raiding and trinity.

For general gaming fans? Sure why not, no sub. fee and a game which they can play whenever they like.

For the MMORPG genre? No. Simply No. The game, innovative as it claimed to be, does nothing for the genre beside removing quest hubs and replacing them with something almost as meaningless. Everything else is what we have seen before in any ThemePark MMO. This is a game, not a virtual world, which imo MMORPGs should strive to be.

So in my book GW 2 is not a success. No more than SW:TOR was.

I agree with this. It was touted to change a whole lot of things in the MMO genre, and in the end...not much has changed. I'm pretty sure i'm done with MMOs as the result of GW2. I had alot of hope for it, thought it would be truly different. And it just isn't...in fact, I think it takes a step back in some ways.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Regardless of the last 2 pages, I'm interested to see how GW2 expansions do.

IMO, that'll be the measure of it's sucess.

Well with the massive amount of entitlement complex whining that happened upon release, I guess it really is ANet's fault if they don't change some of the things that people have issues with.  That's what I'm hoping for in the expansions, since (to me) the initial game is successful because it's FUN.

I really don't care about anything else.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Why do GW2 fans like to compare it with WoW? WoW, after 8+ years, is now a dying game. Is GW2 already dying 4 months after release?

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    As a casual player because I have a very busy real world life with work, tennis, the gym, friends, etc...I define success that if I make it to end level, it was successful lol. I haven't done that since Lord of the Rings Online 5 years ago...wait..I did it with Warhammer too....neither game held me after that, but I got my money's worth. Right now in GW2 I am at level 69 and still enjoying myself and wanting to log in. With no monthly fee and the fact that I am having fun, to me it was a success. To those they say some only care  about box sales, well, that is not the only indicator but it certaintly doesn't hurt lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Why do GW2 fans like to compare it with WoW? WoW, after 8+ years, is now a dying game. Is GW2 already dying 4 months after release?

100% of the games out there would give their left nut to have "dying" numbers like WoW.

• ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55

I strongly agree, Guild Wars 2 has been a succesful game. Many more things are coming this year, a future expansion and more!

After how succesful Guild Wars 2 has been on the market, other companies are now changing to stay competitive.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Theres hardly ever an MMO failure now a days, unless your building up success reaching WoW levels which won't happen (WoW would never hit the levels it hit if it tried today with the over sateration of MMos on the market today).

As far as that goes, yes, GW2 was a success but then you can claim SWTOR is a success as well. It really all depends on how you define success. Are you considering if a game reaches the expectation of the gamers, then virtually every Released MMO out there is a failure due to gamers having unrealistic expectations. If your talking about the publishers expectations, then its all about their 'goal' in terms of sales and in this case I think GuildWars 2 failed here for atleast what NCsoft was expecting (both GW2 and blade and soul failed to reach their desired profit levels, which much like the gamers expectations can be a bit unrealistic).

Its just not possible to call a game a success anymore unless you determine how it succeeeded. As far as I see it, so long as it makes a profit and continues to make a profit for the company, I think you could consider it a success. Guildwars 2 along those lines does make it as a success, even if I personally found the game a bit weak. 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Most games are compared to the top game.  In this case WoW.  It isn't a unique GW2 process.  Would you have people compare it to Champions online or something like that.  Doesn't pass the common sense test.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

It is pretty telling when one must compare a 4-5 month old game to one 8 yrs old.On top of that the 8+ yr old out performed across the board,it was growing at this point.I sure don't remember zones being ghost town's 5 month's in.Heck no,the game was growing and there was people everywhere.Sure don't see that here.

It's also funny how you can count on a fella with Hunter in their name to show up in every single GW2 thread,sad really.The game may be somewhat of a financial success,but that's about it.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Psychow

100% of the games out there would give their left nut to have "dying" numbers like WoW.

Sure but WoW was constantly growing for the first 3-4 years. GW2's numbers are dropping after the first 2 weeks. 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

2 people started talking about WoW.

One comparing GW2s midlevel ranges population complaints to the most successful game on the market  which happens to be WoW but no one bothered about it, the other another obvious GW2 hater on his crusade, who threw up some twist and missinformation to paint GW2 sales "much worse than WoW", according to "the facts", and starts comparing it to WoW, while people here are just responding and debunking his BS.

Nice doublestandards you got there.

Nothing less expected from our sworn GW2 hater pack.

This is exactly what makes these people look like they're biased against anything GW2 does.  I've encountered just as many people or more in mid-level zones when compared to WoW and I played WoW for at least 4 years.  Populations spread out so of course the highest pop areas will be starter zones and max level areas.. but you see, if you were to say the servers all say high or full, someone will rebut with "They just change the criteria to make it look like there are more players".

You can't win.  These people consider GW2 a failure for no good reasons, just personal ones.