Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you like the combining of EVE and Dust 514?

2»

Comments

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Yalexy I really like their vision, and it opens up the universe of New Eden even more. For the PS3-debate... The PS3 unifies the hardware and it drastically reduces hackin and cheating. That's exactly what's needed in a competitive MMO-FPS. Additionally Dust514 has native USB-keyboard and mouse-support :hint: With the current retail-price of $200 it's actually a nobrainer to buy yourself a PS3 as a HTPC. It has all the streaming-services like Hulu available, comes with a BluRay-player and you can aswell play alot of funny games with it. That's a dirt-cheap offer imho.
    Sony actually invested $$$ for CCP to make DUST 514.

It is a pure business transaction why DUST 514 is on PS3 (and most likely PS4) and I wouldn't expect a non-PS version anytime soon.

CCP approached Microsoft first and asked about developing the game on the Xbox. They turned it down and that's where Sony came into play.

So no, it was allways be ment to be a console-game to integrate console FPS-players into the universe of EvE.

Dust514 will never ever be released for the PC, as this would UNlevel the playingfield.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Originally posted by Yalexy I really like their vision, and it opens up the universe of New Eden even more. For the PS3-debate... The PS3 unifies the hardware and it drastically reduces hackin and cheating. That's exactly what's needed in a competitive MMO-FPS. Additionally Dust514 has native USB-keyboard and mouse-support :hint: With the current retail-price of $200 it's actually a nobrainer to buy yourself a PS3 as a HTPC. It has all the streaming-services like Hulu available, comes with a BluRay-player and you can aswell play alot of funny games with it. That's a dirt-cheap offer imho.
    Sony actually invested $$$ for CCP to make DUST 514.

It is a pure business transaction why DUST 514 is on PS3 (and most likely PS4) and I wouldn't expect a non-PS version anytime soon.

CCP approached Microsoft first and asked about developing the game on the Xbox. They turned it down and that's where Sony came into play.

So no, it was allways be ment to be a console-game to integrate console FPS-players into the universe of EvE.

Dust514 will never ever be released for the PC, as this would UNlevel the playingfield.

How would Dust on the PC "UNlevel" the playing field?

You're aware that the PS3 Dust client supports keyboard & mouse natively, right?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• willo248willo248 Member Posts: 346

I think it needs to come to pc. Many eve players who don't have a ps3 would play it on pc even if it's jsut to help out their corp. But I'm not going to buy a PS3 for one game when I already have a 360. 

I'm worried that the game will loose popularity like so many other FPS recently, global agenda etc. 

This will have a knock on effect for Eve because without dust players, the whole mechanic in Eve will not work.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

I think its a great idea purely because of the innovation. innovation is an overused word, many publishers and devs claim that they have innovated something and its rarely true and its just marketing speak. 

What CCP are attempting here is true innovation, nothing like this has been attempted before and it has amazing potential to be something truly awesome. So its a solid yes vote for me.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by tom_gore

It's a good idea, but on totally wrong platform. It should be on PC. CCP is nuts for thinking the net effect on a PC version would be less money for them. People who love EVE would still play EVE. People who love FPS games would play DUST. People who love both (like me) would probably play both.

Frankly, the guy at CCP who figured that there are a lot of people who play EVE because of the lore, but would rather play an FPS, should be fired.

You're aware that Dust was substantially paid for by development money from Sony, right? That money buys them a PS3 exclusive launch, which means it's only available on the PS3 when it launches, and then for 12 months after. On the 366th day, CCP are free to launch it on other platforms, and I'm betting that they will release it on the PC.

I felt the same way--then I was told I can use my Mouse + Keyboard with DUST on the PS3. Win.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

You're aware that the PS3 Dust client supports keyboard & mouse natively, right?

Mouse & Keyboard isn't the problem so much as the issue of hacking is much easier on the computer. They couldn't hire enough GMs to watch the servers to prevent it from having a serious effect. While you can hack a console game it is much harder to do and generally destabilizes the game so it crashes quite often.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Yalexy  

Sony actually invested $$$ for CCP to make DUST 514.   It is a pure business transaction why DUST 514 is on PS3 (and most likely PS4) and I wouldn't expect a non-PS version anytime soon.
      CCP approached Microsoft first and asked about developing the game on the Xbox. They turned it down and that's where Sony came into play. So no, it was allways be ment to be a console-game to integrate console FPS-players into the universe of EvE. Dust514 will never ever be released for the PC, as this would UNlevel the playingfield.

The "UNleveling" happens when people start to cheat, hack and use more powerful hardware. And yes, more powerful hardware is aswell an unbalancing factor in competitive FPS-games.

The PS3 is allmost resiliant to all of the above, and when you still find a way to hack or cheat and get discovered, your hardware-ID gets banned and you need to buy another PS3. On the PC however you simply can create a new account.

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by tom_gore
    It's a good idea, but on totally wrong platform. It should be on PC. CCP is nuts for thinking the net effect on a PC version would be less money for them. People who love EVE would still play EVE. People who love FPS games would play DUST. People who love both (like me) would probably play both.Frankly, the guy at CCP who figured that there are a lot of people who play EVE because of the lore, but would rather play an FPS, should be fired. 

It will come to the PC some time before 2015. They wanted to release it on the PS3 first to build a new community and attract a new audience - If you release it for the PC you have a very heavy EVE stigma surrounding it which would likely cause only EVE players to sign up for it.

After a while the PS3 players will have "their" game and the addition of PC players will, in the long term, end up more favorable.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• enik3enik3 Member Posts: 37
    I am keeping an open mind. But I am concerned that it will bring lots of obnoxious FPS kiddies into what is predominantly a mature, adult oriented MMO.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by enik3
    I am keeping an open mind. But I am concerned that it will bring lots of obnoxious FPS kiddies into what is predominantly a mature, adult oriented MMO.

I feel confident that the PS3 community will be receiving some rough schooling in obnoxiousness from the EVE community if the link between the games opens up as CCP have told us to expect.

Give me liberty or give me lasers