Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A "Wish I Had Known" thread

ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

Hey Everyone,

I just started playing yesterday, having a lot of fun so far. If you could offer a new player some advice, like common sense stuff that you wish you had known when you first started playing, what would you say? Thanks in advance for your replies!

Comments

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    You have achievement for 100% of the map in which World v World v World maps are calculated also... If I knew I'd get the vistas sooner in borderlands :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

The easiest and cheapest way to get equipment while leveling is buying it from the Trading Post. Crafting it yourself is quite expensive, but gives lots of XP.

Running dungeons is the fastest way to get full Exotics.

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542

You can type terms like /wiki Crafting and it will pull up the GW2 crafting Wiki entry for you.

You can put items up on the auction from anywhere in the world.

You can click the little settings button in your inventory and choose to send all of your crafting materials to the bank.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Levelling up via Ascalonian Catacombs can get you a full set of exotics by the time you reach level 80.
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Use alts to craft other items needed such as jewelry and food. Save your karma. All cash shop items can easily be obtained ingame. Just a couple tips I can think of....
  • apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168

I wish i didn't buy GW2, not because I think its bad. But because I am growing out of games and I keep buying them from time to time hoping it would be a new experience. Alas I try it out and get shafted all kinds.

It is a good game, I wish they would give refunds though. To me its like i wasted 50$ for something I would never play again.

Or paying 50$ only to play it for a few days. I could have taken that 50$ and go get a happy ending somewhere instead.

Blah!

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I would say any time is a good time to try the game's PVP.  WvW is very fun once you figure out the map and can read the flow of battle.  You can join WvW at any level and is a great way to earn exp and karma if you want a break from PVE'ing. 

Also someone said save your karma, probably in refering to buying higher level karma gear when you hit 80.  Those items can be very expensive but have nice stats and looks to them.  However, everytime you finish a heart, talk to the main "heart" person in that area and see what type of karma items they have to sell.  You will usually find some very nice items in weapons, armor and other gear from them that will also have nice stats and usually look different than the crafted or quest reward items.

When you are trying to figure out how to get to some of the areas on the map, think of the game sometimes as a platformer.  There sometimes is a lot of jumping involved.  Or you might have to swim into an underwater cave.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    That you will be almost forced to stay ranged all the time in dungeons.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by apb2011

I wish i didn't buy GW2, not because I think its bad. But because I am growing out of games and I keep buying them from time to time hoping it would be a new experience. Alas I try it out and get shafted all kinds.

It is a good game, I wish they would give refunds though. To me its like i wasted 50$ for something I would never play again.

Or paying 50$ only to play it for a few days. I could have taken that 50$ and go get a happy ending somewhere instead.

Blah!

Buyers remorse! we've all been there, just move on. It wasn't a free trial.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Blah!

they are giving out refunds :P

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by Scalpless

The easiest and cheapest way to get equipment while leveling is buying it from the Trading Post. Crafting it yourself is quite expensive, but gives lots of XP.

Running dungeons is the fastest way to get full Exotics.

Second character i left crafting until lvl 75 so it would take me from 75-80 instead of going through that pain in the bum zone again. Wish i'd done that with the first character as it skipped me through too many low levels meaning i left a friend behind and had to wait for him to catch up.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

Theres only a few bosses you need to stay ranged through-out the fight.

With the proper use of skills, enough toughness and vitality to not get one-shoted, Someone in the group with Regeneration, proper use of dodging the big moves and use of Omnomberry Bars or Mixed-Berry Pies (If you're cheap) and enough Crit to make those proc then you can melee msot encounters i nthe game where physics and abilities allow. 

I play a DPS Warrior with 1500 Tough, 23k Health, 73% critical strike, and 53% Critical Damage using Greatsword and Longbow and theres only like 3 bosses I can't melee, only because the encounter calls for no melee.  I do this in a PUG setting.  Except for the case of maybe Arah p2, CoE p3, and TA p3 then its not to bad.  I am also at Fractals level 23. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by korent1991

Blah!

they are giving out refunds :P

WOW thanx for the info, I just submitted my refund request now. Waiting....

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

THANKS for all the great replies! I'm having a lot of fun, still learning (I need to google Karma now).

Any advice on what to look for in a guild? I'm a casual player, play maybe 5-10 hours a week.

Anyhow, thank you again to everyone who responded.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Gather EVERYTHING, its good XP and you can sell it all on the trade post to make sure you are never out of money. If you do this even without even going far out of your way to gather items while you play, you should have more than enough to keep up with your needs.

Open your inventory and press the cogwheel at the top and select Deposit all collevtibles...this will place all of your crafting materials into your collectable bank, this opens inventory space while you are out adventuring.

Press hide/show bags to make your inventory into one big bag instead of seperate bags if you like it like that.

Your #1 ability is an auto-attack so you dont need to keep spamming it.

You can redye your armor on your Hero page...for free...as many times as you want.

Are you out adventuring and need to get a city and want to save money? Go into any WvW map and take the portal to Lion's Arch...its free

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

On the 100% map completion, if you aren't Order of Whispers there is an Order of Whispers zone with a single point of interest in Bloodtide Coast inside a cave.  Since this isn't shown on the map anywhere this is almost always the last PoI someone needs.

The fastest way to gear up in full exotics is to run AC EXP or CoF EXP for quick ~20 minute runs each time.  Do not speed clear, do full boss clears as the extra gold earned from the bosses will net you gear faster than the tokens.  Between both the tokens and gold you should be able to gear up in full exotics within 10 hours.

Crafting nets you the fastest EXP in the game.  You can level all crafts cheaply (~40g I think it was?) and quickly (within 3 hours).  This will bring a character to level 80 if you don't want to replay the game on your alts.

Use karma to buy your gear as you level up.  You won't earn a lot at low levels to save, and there generally isn't anything worth spending karma on at higher levels with the exception of the legendary at which point you'll likely won't have to worry about karma earned because you'll earn the 1.2 mil karma faster than the 1k+gold.

Running explorable mode dungeons is a fast and very profitable way to level up.  Use http://gw2lfg.com/ to quickly find a group.  Be warned though that dungeons are a notable difficulty increase from the open world content.

Also threat is mainly based on armor rating.  The person with higher armor gets the most threat.  Some bosses like Giganticus have a bit of a unique aggro table and proximity is also a factor, but armor rating effects threat the most.  Anything above 3000 armor you start getting diminishing returns, so your tank should sit at 3k armor while any other person in your group should be below that.  Yes, there isn't really as much of a  trinity in this game, but you can still have tanks (and healers) and form groups around them.

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176
    Thank you all for the continuing wisdom! Learning a lot!
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by azzamasin

With the proper use of skills, enough toughness and vitality to not get one-shoted, Someone in the group with Regeneration, proper use of dodging the big moves and use of Omnomberry Bars or Mixed-Berry Pies (If you're cheap) and enough Crit to make those proc then you can melee msot encounters i nthe game where physics and abilities allow. 

I play a DPS Warrior with 1500 Tough, 23k Health, 73% critical strike, and 53% Critical Damage using Greatsword and Longbow and theres only like 3 bosses I can't melee, only because the encounter calls for no melee.  I do this in a PUG setting.  Except for the case of maybe Arah p2, CoE p3, and TA p3 then its not to bad.  I am also at Fractals level 23. 

You can melee all bosses in the game.  Not sure which ones you are refering to here that you can't specifically melee.  Even Giganticus Lupicus can be meleed (he's in all Arah paths, not just 2), and he's probably the most melee unfriendly.  CoE Path 3, are you refering to the Destroyer, because you can melee him and I think he was intended to be meleed and the fact you can ranged him at 1200 ranged is probably a bit of a bug. Maybe you are refering to the boss where you have to damage him with the diversion guns?  In which case you can't really ranged him either.

Ranged damage is typically bad compared to melee (exceptions being Mesmers and Engineers) so the more ranged you use the longer a dungeon is going to take.  In most dungeons we are pretty much all melee, including several level 30+ Fractals, though at higher level difficulty only the tank can melee.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Sell everything you don't need on the trading post instead of vendoring it. You'll make a lot more money that way.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    That on Nov 16th they would do a complete 180 from their original design at launch and create a bottleneck on the loot either trying to force people to buy gems for gold or play in WvW, and that WvW would be a requirement to complete world exploration. (WVW where people are either bots underwater or they are griefers exploiting the requirement and preventing PVE/RP players from completing jump puzzles by using seige weapons)
  • KoukikidKoukikid Member Posts: 28

Keep an eye on the price for low lvl crafting materials, some sell for 5s+ good way to make some money during your travels.

Do Not get map completion on high lvl zones like 75-80 untill you are 80, you get exotics you can then break down for ectos or sell on the TP

Also stay far far away from making an Engineer.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Well you are a warrior using heavy armour and natural high health I used a melee mesmer and now lvling a dagger wielding elementalist but it's because both of those use light armour and at 80 they have less health than a warrior when hit your hp goes down very fast.

On mesmer I lvled as melee sword/pistol and at first I tried meleeing in dungeons but once you get the aggro of the mobs/boss you are pretty much dead unless you manage to kite which I am good at since I'm forced to range now. Keeping on getting downed will make you a nausiance in the group so I was forced to use the greatsword and sometimes I would go melee just for the heck of it.

Now with elementalist being unable to equip 2 types of weapons if I enter a dungeon I have to decide if I'm staying with dual daggers or switch to a staff which I really don't want to do.

Now before you say I have low health on my 80 mesmer I has almost 20k with greatsword equipped and on 18k with sword/pistol without any food. I had to switch from gear with power precision to others that had vitality and/or traits that increase vitality to increase survivability since this game has no means to hold aggro, if you do too much damage prepare to kite.

Maybe it's because you are grouping with good people but since I know no one who plays this game I'm ultimately forced to ask in chats.

So to conclude, sure you can melee most bosses but this may make you the black sheep in the party if you keep on getting downed unless you are using some class which is naturally durable like warrior or guardian.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Explore all zones you enter completely.  This should be your main objective while out in the world. 

Sell everything on the tradepost than you can.  Set your own price, instead of selling for buyer price on most things, as most things fly off the trade pretty well as long as you price them reasonably.  This will earn you more gold along the way.

Buy new weapons and new armor every 6 to 10 levels.  Overhaul everything.  You don't need the most expensive gear.  If you do this every 6 to 10 levels you won't need expensive gear.  You'll do just fine.  Buy blues, and greens as much as possible, but I never saw a reason to buy a yellow or orange until level 80. 

Fast travel the least amount possible.  You will need to to do it some.  But run if you can, especially early on. 

Do NOT fast travel into cities.  Use the PVP icon to take you to the heart of the mist.  Go through the portal.  Enter Lions Arch.  Inside the city there are portals to every other city.  Cost free.  If you must fast travel / port, do it to a location out in the world.  Not to a city. 

Get all three gathering tools as soon as you can.  Immediately.  Buy them from most vendors.   Gather everything.  Trees, minerals, plants.  Keep it, or sell it.  Up to you. 

Always eat food.  It is cheap and is available on the tradehouse.  For early levels I like to eat Lemon Bars.  It gives me a magic find boost, and +10 exp per kill. 

Always drink potions.  They are very cheap.  They give you a damage bonus for a given target.  I don't care about that either.  I buy them because they also give a +10 exp per kill on top of the food I'm eating for a total of +20 exp per kill.  Lots of potions can be bought as cheap as 3c .  Buy lots, if for nothing else than the +10 exp per kill. 

Mentioned earlier I said to explore all the zones.  Need help?  Use this website.  It shows you where everything is....

http://gw2cartographers.com/

Thats all I got for now.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Blah!

If you were telling the truth you'd realize two things...

1. They charge $60 for the game, not $50.

2. They do give refunds.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

If there is one piece of advice I can give you it is:

JOIN AN ACTIVE HYRBRID GUILD....

What I mean by Hybrid is that its a guild that does it all. WvWvW, PvE, Dungeons, sPvP this way you will always have something to do if you decided to try something different. Personally I was at a point where I was going to quit the game a few months ago, then I found this aweseome guild and it saved my GW2 experience and I am still having a blast to this day because I don't have to do the same thing everytime I log.