Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizards and Champions 1st round alpha delayed

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Background: WAC is actively soliciting alpha testers to help out in a very early stage of testing (rough world, incomplete, unbalanced, a few bugs).

Ugh.  Today's the 12th, and I'm not happy enough with the current state of WAC to start alpha testing.  I hate missing deadlines, but if it's not ready, it's not ready.  Perhaps next weekend will work.

For the time being I'll post some screenshots so you have an idea of where I'm at with this.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Background: WAC is actively soliciting alpha testers to help out in a very early stage of testing (rough world, incomplete, unbalanced, a few bugs).

Ugh.  Today's the 12th, and I'm not happy enough with the current state of WAC to start alpha testing.  I hate missing deadlines, but if it's not ready, it's not ready.  Perhaps next weekend will work.

For the time being I'll post some screenshots so you have an idea of where I'm at with this.

This a solo project or do you have a team?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Since you're not tied to any contractual deadlines or monetary milestones, I'd say you made the right decision. Take the next step when you're ready to and happy with what's going forward.

And kudos for sticking with this project for so long. Flying the MMO dev plane solo is difficult, and you're further ahead than most are.

Looking forward to more news on the game!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

This a solo project or do you have a team?

Solo.  My own programming / design, stock artwork and whatever I can build in QuArK, built based on Torque Game Engine Advanced and an MMO framework that helps turn TGEA into an EQ like environment.

Unfortunately I have no prior game development background other than reading a few books (1990s) and playing with Oblivion mods.  It's been quite a learning experience.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Man that's WAC! (terrible pun and play off the word whack I know) Seriously though. Nice work and good call on making a delay when you don'r feel ready rather than making a deadline when you know it's not ready.  It's my first time hearing about your project and from now on I'll be following your progress. I say even if it takes you 10 years continue to keep your integrity and follow your gut instincts. And I'll be looking forward to seeing your alpha build!

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Glad to see a gamer making a game. I like what all Ive seen so far and will be watching the progress.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
      Never heard of this game. Good luck with it! (and I mean that positively)
    Originally posted by winter

Thanks, I'll need it.  :-)

Tonight's job... rip apart the currency system and rework it.  Oh the fun, it just never stops.  *grin*

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404

Tonight's job... rip apart the currency system and rework it.  Oh the fun, it just never stops.  *grin*

Have any luck with the currency rework?

Originally posted by boris20

Have any luck with the currency rework?

Yeah, it went pretty well.

Tin, copper and silver are all like normal MMO currencies, where they show up as numbers in a small pane of the inventory sheet.  Gold exists in the form of gold coin and gold bar which are stacking inventory items.

I wanted to do something different.  To me the normal currency systems feel a bit too much like a credit card.  I can imagine gold bars becoming the preferred currency for trading high value items.  You can't use them to make payment at the auction house, so I'm hoping it will encourage person to person trading, something like barking on trade chat "WTS Enchanted Fine Etherium Chest of Body... 10 bars".

I miss trading systems like that.  Even though WAC has an AH, I want to avoid having AH being the only trading.  The more player to player contact the better.

Progess toward alpha is going well.  I need to get dungeon entrances into the starting zone, then tidy up the mess (stray artwork laying all over).

HDR lighting is now working in dungeon interiors.  Grabbed this shot because the specularity and lighting seemed to pop.  A huge change from working with the OpenGL engine that didn't have shaders.

(prototype dungeon after fight)